September 22, 2014 | 1568 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't think this is a bad product, it's just not for me. MAC describes it as a very pigmented cream shadow that dries to a "vibrant" finish. I love the idea of cream shadows that dry once applied. I've used--and loved Clinique's two formulas, touch-tint and touch-base; I've also had reasonably good luck with Benefit's creaseless cream shadows. One thing that's hard to find, however, is a matte nude colored version of those products that I can wear. Enter, MAC Paint Pot in Painterly. In theory, it fit the bill. The M.A. at Saks put it on me, and I thought it looked okay; yet I had misgivings about buying it without first doing a "test drive" outside. Misgiving: 0. . . Impulsive Urge to Buy: 2. Alas, I left the store with two paint pots, one in Painterly and the other in Bare Study (which I actually like better than Painterly). The Saks here in Austin has a return policy that is less than friendly (literally), so I never returned Painterly despite the fact that it just doesn't serve any function for me and so it serves a life sentence among my other makeup outcasts without being used. The reasons I don't really like it: I find the texture too thick, and the color is too dark for me to wear as a nude natural shadow. The effect on me is a sort of thick muddy appearance. If I try to wear it as a base, and layer shadows over it, they end up looking thick and cakey, and the paint pot underneath changes the color of my shadows. But don't let my review dissuade you; a lot of people apparently love this. The color would be a perfect nude "no makeup" look for those in the middle skin-tone range (not extremely pale or dark), Application is also key; it must be applied very sparingly and blended well with a brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by honeylustre

I use Painterly on pretty much a daily basis to cover the veins on my eyelids. It works well for that, but I still have to use primer under it or it will crease within an hour. I have seen so many people use it AS a primer, and it just doesn't work for me in that respect. With primer under it, it lasts a few hours, with primer under and shadow over, basically all day. But I wish I didn't have to go through those steps to get it t last. So people with oily lids will probably not be able to use this on its own. A great alternative, which lasts about 6 hours on me with no primer, shadow, or creasing are MUFE Aqua Creams! Those are great.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2011 10:51:00 PM More reviews by arleanxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My friend that works at Mac got me this when I told her I needed an eyeshadow primer. I use it only when I absolutely need it because I'm latina with a pinkish undertone and this color sorta makes me feel like my eyelids feel and look ashy lol but it does hold the colors

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 9:33:00 AM More reviews by annia316

At first I really struggled buying this because the price is really high for such a small pot. But I took my chances and now I am a believer! I am sooo glad I bought this pain pot! I got those small blueish veins on my eyelids .. I really hate those. I always tried to cover them with a nude eyeshadow by Alima (Blonde). It worked for me but it wasn't the best solution. Painterly is for me the best solution to this problem :) It lasts all day long and I really have fun applying it. I found the ELF Eyeshadow brush working best for me for this product. I will sure buy this paintpot again! Also eager to try the other shades now (soft ochre I.E.)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2011 4:54:00 AM More reviews by erodrig44

I have been using groundwork for the past couple years and am finally running out, but I wanted something a little lighter in color. Tested this out several times at the counter and just wasnt loving it. I didn't like the texture. Then the girl gave me a sample to try for a while...I haven't picked up groundwork since. Although I have to be careful not to put too much on, I love how this evens out my eyelid skin tone. It doesn't hide the veins as well as groundwork, but I love the creaminess and it makes my makeup stay true to color all day. Will def be buying this next!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/20/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by natalieshusterman

I was looking for a product to prevent creasing with eyeshadows and to create a neutral base for days when I wanted to look more pulled together. I'm fair with yellow undertones and Painterly was a bit ashy on me, but with the right amount of blending it wasn't a problem. While I liked the creamy consistency and neutral color, I was put off by the fact that it did in fact crease. I mean, the whole point of the product is to prevent creasing, right? Because I was dying to give Painterly the benefit of the doubt, I tried blotting my lids first, applying less, applying more, blending, using with and without shadow, and nothing worked. Maybe it's just me (and according to the MAC girl, it basically is, haha), but it simply didn't do as promised. You could definitely use a primer before, but that seems silly. Two primers doesn't make one right.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by princessglam

for reference i am asian with yellow undertones and an NC35. Ive been doing alot of research before i bought this particular pain pot. Ive been torn between painterly and soft ochre! everyone says soft ochre is for people with yellow undertones! But for some reason painterly looked better on me. Soft ochre was too yellow, i felt like a banana! lol and paint pots are good base and primers! love them! they never creased on me! idk why people say it creases. its creamy but it dries really good on the lids. i have been using UDDP and after i found this, i never went back to using it. UDDP doesnt allow me to blend much, and paint pots do! i dnt use UDDP under the paint pot coz it pretty much holds itself well! definitely will buy over and over again!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2011 4:36:00 AM More reviews by 00R00

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this everyday as my eyeshadow base. It is the perfect tone for my NC20 skin and dark hair. It is great value for money - I bought mine back in 2009 and I still have 1/5 left. Will definitely be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

Love this. Very easy to apply (I find that fingers work best as it can be too chalky if applied with a brush). Alone, it makes my lids even in color and allows my eye color to pop. With shadow, it allows the shadow to remain true, not migrate or break down. I even apply a bit to my undereye area at times to minimize dark circles. Does not budge.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by ampcuenca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Great shadow base! This works really well on my oily lids. I love how it gives me a clean & matte canvass. Using my ring finger, I just dab a bit of this product all over my lids. I usually use it under the neutral shadows from my Too Faced Palette. It's also perfect for toning down those super bright/vibrant shadows. Would repurchase!