July 28, 2014 | 1246 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by rpolisk

Love this. Very easy to apply (I find that fingers work best as it can be too chalky if applied with a brush). Alone, it makes my lids even in color and allows my eye color to pop. With shadow, it allows the shadow to remain true, not migrate or break down. I even apply a bit to my undereye area at times to minimize dark circles. Does not budge.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by ampcuenca

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Great shadow base! This works really well on my oily lids. I love how it gives me a clean & matte canvass. Using my ring finger, I just dab a bit of this product all over my lids. I usually use it under the neutral shadows from my Too Faced Palette. It's also perfect for toning down those super bright/vibrant shadows. Would repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 4:56:00 PM More reviews by scfindlay

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I can't live without Painterly now! It takes the redness away from my lids so the real eyeshadow color can be seen :) I have been using the same jar almost daily for 6 months and have barely made a dent.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2011 3:17:00 PM More reviews by Thalia773

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

absolutely loooove this as a primer. Although I don't reccommend this you could actually sleep in your eye makeup and wakeup with it still looking freshly applied. It lasts forever, not just on but such a little goes a long way, so this will last for months. It is an eyeshadow but frequently used as a primer because of its denseness and smoothness. No creases and make the top color pop! Even worn alone painterly is such a neutral color it just makes your eyes look more alert and alive. it has a pinkish beige undertone so it evens out uneven color. I have tried several actual primers and keep going back to my paint pots, nothing has topped this yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Like many others, I bought Painterly to use as a shadow base.

I've been using Urban Decay's deservedly famous Primer Potion for years, and like it, but at times it can feel a little thick, so I gave Painterly a try.

Painterly goes on smoothly with my 195 brush, and blends seamlessly with my NW15 skin.

The only trouble, and this *may* be a deal-breaker for me, is the fact that Painterly doesn't seem to prevent creasing on my uber oily eyelids for as long as Primer Potion typically does.

That said, I like the way Painterly glides on, masking any irregularities in skin tone, and it *does* help my shadows to look better longer than they would if I didn't use any sort of base.

Therefore, I'll keep experimenting with Painterly. However, I *may* just have to accept the fact that Primer Potion is the one and only for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2011 6:15:00 AM More reviews by MissDior5011

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of the paint pots I do actually like. I do only use this as a primer/base for eyeshadow. I would not wear this on its own as it is to light and looks very flat but as a base it gives the shadow something to stick/hold on to. I do find this one goes on easy and it doesnt crease like some of the other paint pots I have.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2011 12:48:00 AM More reviews by valentina555

terrific product. great primer with the added benefit of concealing and erasing discolouration.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2011 8:41:00 PM More reviews by allison1331

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use this as the base before I apply my eyeshadow everyday. I apply it with a concealer brush and I feel that it goes on very easily and smoothly. It keeps my e/s from creasing and makes the colors appear brighter and more true to the appearance in the packaging. I also like the wide mouth of the container that makes it very easy to get all of the product out. The only set back about this product is that it does tend to get very dry as you reach the last bit in the bottom of the pot.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by ShariJ1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this...only reason that I don't give it a 5 is for it to really have some umph! I have to still use a primer underneath. But, this color is perfect for covering any discolorations and as a minimal base for my eyeshadows! I also use just a tiny amount under my eye (where liner goes) to help keep shadow liner in place and it works wonders!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2011 5:05:00 PM More reviews by Jhereg

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my first and only paint pot.
I threw it out today after dealing with it for about a year or so.
I had used MAC paints as shadow base, but wanted something creamier to get some shadows to adhere to them. Shade sticks were OK, but inconsistent in their quality.

What I like about Painterly: It is a perfect color. Just enough color to even out lid color. That's all I like about it.

What I dont like:
Most of this deals with packaging and delivery of the product.

It's dry. It was dry from the moment I began to use it. I stated storing it upside-down as some members suggested which actually helped, but it was still dry which lead to

It's hard to spread smoothly on the lid without tugging and leaving thick/thin spots.

It's a pain to apply. It's too thick to apply easily with a brush, so using my finger is easiest, but it's hard to get out w/o getting gobs stuck under my nails. Yuck.

Not hygienic enough. having to stick a finger or brush into a wet product meant for eyes does not make me feel confident it is clean enough.

I prefer shadesticks (the ones that are creamy) and paints. Paint pots are just a dry sticky mess that I feel is a breeding ground for germs.