September 18, 2014 | 864 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use Nutiva extra virgin raw coconut oil from GNC. Costs me about $10 for a decent sized jar. Anyway, I couldn't live without this miracle product! I was afraid to use it for sooooo long, thinking I would break out horribly. I couldn't have been more wrong. This stuff is the BEST for blemishes. If I rub a little bit into a spot that's emerging, it's literally gone or completely surfaced by the next day. It even works on the really sore spots that feel like they could turn into painful cysts. Nothing has ever done that for me before! I also use it as an all-over body moisturizer, a leave-in hair conditioner (literally, just a speck) and it's one of the main ingredients in my awesome homemade deodorant. Besides using it as a beauty treatment, it's delicious! I like to mix it with a bit of raw cacao and put it on a rice cake. Yummy. It's also great in sauteed veggies. The possibilities are endless with this amazing oil. Do yourself a favor and GET SOME!
EDIT: 3/12/12
I'd been using this as a spot treatment for a long time and was getting kind of tired of paying $25 for my normal moisturizer that was just "ok". So, I decided to start using this as a facial moisturizer, hoping and praying that I didn't get some of the horrific side-effects that others have mentioned. To my delight, coconut oil has been my saviour! It is absolutely PERFECT as both a daytime and nighttime moisturizer, providing just the right amount of moisture. My skin has been clearer than ever before since I began using this and I'm just so relieved that I finally tried it! I have to say one thing...When I first started using this, my skin developed these odd-looking, totally painless red spots (not bumps) around the t-zone for the first 2 days and then they disappeared without a trace. I thought that this initial occurrence might scare some people off, but just stick with it and they go completely away. This is an AMAZING multi-use product that I will NEVER be without!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 8:55:00 AM More reviews by jilltaylor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This really is a miracle product. I've been using it for a couple of years as my nighttime moisturizer. Normally I get dry, flaky skin in the winter but since I started using this, it's been soft and smooth. I swear that it also cured my hormonal acne caused by new birth control. I never, ever get breakouts and I used to have constant breakouts but not since using this. It works perfect after getting out of the shower as an all over body moisturizer. I also put it on my (dry) hair when getting in the shower then shampoo it out. It leaves my hair incredibly soft and shiny and no need for a flat iron. It's also good for you if you eat it but for me the change in my skin on my face has been the biggest plus. You must buy this, its incredible!! (and delicious!). I buy the extra virgin kinda from swanson vitamins for around $6.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by emmanelson96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I thought this was going to be the 'IT' product for me when I spent tons of time researching, watching youtube videos and finally buying one. But after using it on my face a couple of nights, I started to break out. I never break out, maybe a few pimples here and there, and during that time of the month. I still have them and it has been over a month since I stopped using this. Also, I used to have a lip balm with a high dosage of coconut oil, and realized that this broke me out on the sides of my mouth. I also used this as a deep conditioning treatment on my hair but it made it very greasy and lifeless. I guess this product just isn't for me, but I am glad it is working wonders for others. What is a better alternative it jojoba oil. I use that product for everything.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2012 4:01:00 AM More reviews by sremmers123

If you're using anything other than coconut oil to shave, STOP! This is by far thee best product. No razor burn, no in grown hairs. You won't have to worry about the water washing away your shaving cream, and it's moisturizing to boot. Four for you, coconut oil. You go, coconut oil!

38 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by JuicyGirlx33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is solid at room temp., so melt before using. I like this as a deep conditioner for hair (leave on for a few hours and rinse with warm water before shampooing and conditioning as usual), cuticle oil, and makeup remover. I don't use it for my body, lips and hands because it's too thin to moisturize and doesn't get absorbed.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by karmabum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Had high hopes for this. Love the smell,price and "naturalness." Hate that it broke me out horribly. I used it on face and hair and had big pimples even on the back of my neck for my reward:/ Will use for hands and let husband try this out to see if it works for him. Sigh.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:19:00 AM More reviews by littlefangfang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What's not to like about coconut oil? It's multifunctional. It smells AMAZING! It moisturizes and nourishes you skin ( awesome makeup remover too) and hair wonderfully and you can also cook with it. It has so many health benefits. It'd be crazy not to have a jar in the house at all times.

...One of the victoria secret angels says she puts a spoonful of it on her salad everyday and that's her beauty secret... ( does it make you want to have a jar in the house even more haha)

UPDATE: I put a quarter size of coconut oil in my hair ( I have very thick and long hair) after the shower. It smells wonderful and my hair feels so soft and smooth. the coconut oil does what I expected out of Argan oil ( which failed my expectations, maybe it's better for the skin). I did read online that coconut oil is one of the few oils can actually penetrate into the hair instead of sitting on the top ( like Jojoba oil, to my Argan oil too). It's definitely worth trying, if you dont like it you can always cook with it. It's not nearly as expensive as other natural oils either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought a large jar of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin coconut oil the other day and have been using it ever since. I have used it on my face, nails/hands, feet, really anywhere that is dry. I have used it as a hair mask one night but can't really tell what that has done yet. One thing I will caution is that a little seems to go a long way. I've just been putting a little of the room temp (hard) coconut oil in my hands and rubbing together to break it down to the liquid oil, and apply where I need it. I haven't tried this yet on dry hair as a smoothing agent, but I look forward to doing so! My nails and cuticles already look and feel better, which says a lot because my cuticles are such a mess. I've been using this at night on my face, and I wake up with soft skin. This hasn't broken me out yet - fingers crossed that it will not! *EDIT: I've now been using this for a week and it is amazing how soft this is making my face! I'm so happy with this!*

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 3:09:00 AM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
- For hair: I do a deep conditioning masque about one a week (Massage it into scalp, and
onto the rest of my hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it on for about 1 hour then go
shower like usual.) It has made my hair SO SHINY. and BOUNCY. and BEAUTIFUL. and
THICKER. and HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT THIS. I also use it after styling to
make my hair smooth and shiny. It's great because coconut oil repairs the damaged
proteins in your hair - what kind of shine serum can you find on the market that also
repairs your hair naturally?? NONE!! I loved it so much I introduced it to my mom, she
began using it as a deep conditioner also. She also loved it- she has been regularly
perming her hair for almost all her life due to her thin hair, but it has been a year now
since she has permed it (which is a long, long, time for her.) She also introduced it to my
dad, who likes it for its thickening effects (he is losing hair). I have tried olive oil in the
past- it didn't do much. Coconut oil is liquid gold.

- For skin: I have slight eczema on my skin, and I rub a tiny amount on my dry patches
before I go to bed. I wake up with hydrated, bright skin. Only downfall is, if I use this
too often or too much, it makes me break out.

- For nails: I didn't really think coconut oil would do anything for my nails, but I tried
it out anyways. I massaged them into my bare nails. I found that it was absorbed
very quickly so I reapplied and massaged about 3 times. After washing my hands I
applied nail polish. Usually, after about 5 days of wearing nail polish, my nails chip
and crack. Amazingly they didn't, and stayed strong and long for the whole duration
of the color (2 weeks for this nail polish, it is very long lasting).

Cons:
- I didn't know about this till about a year ago. Why. Where have you been all my life.

Overall:

I.LOVE.IT. Everybody has a fantastic, natural, beneficial use for coconut oil.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by divathing

I use this mixed with tea tree oil for the psoriasis on my scalp (as a conditioner and to oil the scalp) I also mix this with olive oil as a deep conditioner and i mix it with corn starch and baking soda as a deodorant. AMAZING! VERSATILE! please do not use on your face. that just sounds wrong. as long as u know what to use it 4 it will treat u well.