Dove Beauty Bar

4.4

sodium lauroyl isethionate, stearic acid, sodium tallowate or sodium palmitate, lauric acid, sodium isethionate, water, sodium stearate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, fragrance, sodium chloride, tetrasodium edta, tetrasodium etidronate, titanium dioxide.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using crazy (probably way too harsh) facial cleansers in hopes of getting rid of my breakouts, and nothing has worked. After reading reviews on MUA, I figured I had to try it, especially with how cheap it is. I knew Dove was gentle but had never thought to use a bar soap as a facial cleanser. This stuff is super gentle, doesn't irritate my skin, has a nice lather and lovely clean scent, and my skin is way soft afterwards...and best of all..NO MORE BREAKOUTS!! It's a miracle. Granted I also use witch hazel toner and take D3 and Om3, but seriously, I'm pretty sure switching over to Dove has helped a lot too. Who knew after all these years that something that's been around forever and is so cheap would work the best. I also love it as a body soap too...try it...It could work for you too...

**Ok, I have to go back and re-edit. This worked for about a month with keeping my skin clear, along with my witch hazel and d3/om3 supplements. I don't know what happened, and I'm not saying this soap stopped working, but my breakouts are back, as well as clogged pores- who knows, could be stress, makeup, etc, but I will stress it's not a miracle product and breakouts will still happen. So while I still like this soap and find it fine to use on my face and of course my body, I'm not relying on it or feel it needs to be HG status. I am back to using other stuff, with this here and there.

on 2/24/2010 12:22:00 PM

This is for the Dove Face Bar. I think I heard that Dove is doing away with their skin care line so this may be hard to find. I couldn't find it at Target recently (which is where I bought it in the first place). Anyway, on to the review - I know it doesn't get a lot of love here on MUA but it works for me in sooooo many ways.

I have fair, combo skin with either reactive redness or rosacea (I have not been to a derm) and my skin tends to be very sensitive. I love how the face bar lathers into a silky creamy lather. It feels soft and luxurious. I use it mainly at night with my Clarisonic but have used it in the mornings as well. With Dove I get clean, soft, smooth skin with no irritation, reaction, etc. It also helps with the flakies.

I believe it may be HG - how do I know you may ask - because when I could no longer find it at Target I started to panic. I happened to be in Big Lots not too long ago and they had loads of it for $1.00 per bar. I scooped up 5 bars which should last some time. If I can't find anymore when I am done with these 5 I'll give the Sensitive Skin bar a try (which I also hear good things about).

on 2/22/2010 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

This bar works wonderfully for me. I use it on my face as well as my body, and am seriously considering trying it on my scalp. I was intrigued by the commercials about not leaving soap scum, so I went to the site and saw a video on how that works. The cleansing agents in this bar do not react with the calcium in the water, so it doesn't form scum. In my case, it doesn't irritate, or leave deposits on, my skin. My skin is softer, smoother, and clear. The water is hard (calcium rich) where I live, and it usually wreaks havoc on my skin. I have eczema patches all over (including my face) and all over my scalp. Since I have been using this soap, they have diminished greatly. This is why I want to try it on my scalp. Looks like I have an experiment this weekend! EDIT** I tried it in my hair for a few days, and it actually worked well for my scalp. It wasn't quite moisturizing enough for my hair though, even with a good conditioner. Also, I found a 4 pack on sale, and with a dollar off coupon, got the 4 pack for $1.75!

on 2/15/2010 11:32:00 PM

After using it on my face for two weeks i think this is my HG. Other products (Drugstore) would make the side of my face itchy, and make the side of my nose dry to the point where my skin would "crack". it would feel the same as using tissues alot when youre sick. anywho, it has a great lather, leaves my skin so clean and smooth and has even deminished the little pimples which are under the skin. i team this with the dove face cream. PERFECT!
I have only tried Laura Mercier when it comes to department store brands. that was fine. but honestly, i cant be skrewd cleansing and toning, with dove i can simply use it in the shower while washing my body.

on 2/14/2010 11:19:00 PM

Best all-over body soap. Not drying at all, and leaves skin clean with no soapy traces.

on 2/14/2010 7:56:00 AM

My fav go to soap! Does not dry out my skin, smells good! <3...

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Well, being an teen, and an acne-sufferer, the first thing I did when I began breaking out was head to the chemist and damage my skin with products. Facial cleanser, toner, moisturiser, facial scrub, facial mask, spot treatment, facial wipes, gosh! the list was endless. Then my mom kicked some sense into me. Stop using all these products, she said. And I did. I used soap on my face instead, that too - only once a day in the shower. And this really cleared my skin up and left it soft and moisturised. And that soap was Dove. The scent is lovely, the lather is luxurious (just enough, not toooo lathery, that jus means its harsh with chemicals) the feeling it leaves on my skin is awesome. Soft, clear and clean skin. What more does one want? Thankyou Dove. If I could, I'd give it a gazillion stars.

on 2/12/2010 5:12:00 PM

I have so many great things to say about this bar! It does everything, Cleanses, Moisturizes, Perfect for shaving, and after I use it I just feel super fresh and clean. I have not yet tried out Dove on my face but I am thinking about it, because all the facial cleansers I have tried just seem like glorified versions of laundry detergent. Well anyway, will update soon once I try this out on my face (:

on 2/12/2010 8:57:00 AM

So I was a firm Olay buyer for quite a long time... then it was a combination of that silly advertisement Dove has going with the women washing mirrors with bars of soap and that i developed hard bumps of collected dry skin on the back of my thighs (I'm thinking its most likely a mild case of KP). After reading up I decided to get a gentile soap.. Dove .. and add AM Lactin to the routine. Now im not good about lotion by any means... so i only remember to do the backs of my thighs with the AM Lactin. However.... the rest of my skin feels amazing... super soft and just for lack of a more appropriate descriptive word.. feminine.
I do not and would not use this for my face though. I am a firm believer that there are facial washes out there for a reason.
All the best everyone!

on 2/11/2010 10:44:00 AM

It's a all time favorite for most. Pros: lathers well, very creamy, good for dry skin & winter weather. Cons: melts away really fast, probably due to the cold cream ingrediant, costly since you go thru it easily.

Popular Gels/Soaps