September 1, 2014 | 1169 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - One by One Volum' Express

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2011 1:32:00 PM More reviews by admilly101

Best mascara I have ever used, hands down. All of my friends think I have amazing, full, long lashes when in reality my lashes are quite flimsy and gross looking, haha.
Anyway, I can even express enough how much I love this mascara. It does exactly what it says its gonna do. The packaging is so cute! I love the colors on it.
Best. Mascara. Ever.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2011 2:28:00 AM More reviews by LizWords

This is my review for the WATERPROOF version of this. I always buy waterproof now because I hate smudging, I want it to last for the day and this stuff does.

I have repurchased the waterproof version of this several times. I do use other mascaras, but this is definitely one that works well for me. I really like the brush style, it's a bit flimsy, but i like how it separates my lashes, no clumping or tarantula leg look. I can see how some people would want more volume or length from a mascara, I've definitely seen others deliver more of each. But I think this is perfect for daily use as it's not too much. It's subtle, it gives my upper and lower lashes enough visibility to make me feel pretty w/out looking made up. Perfect for the normal workday type situation.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2011 More reviews by ItsAClove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product has a lot of pros & cons:
PROS:
Good for shorter, thinner lashes b.c it has a drier formula
Volumizes, lengthens a bit
Doesn't flake for hours
Defines lashes
Doesn't smudge (it transfers a bit under the eyes though)
Is buildable
There is a smell, but it isn't as offending as people make it seem; I hardly notice it

CONS:
SLOW application: it takes forever to get product on your lashes, at least for me
You sort of have to try to apply several coats to get a more thicker look.
Product gets drier and drier as the day goes on, causing some flaking (I can still usually nap with it though)
All in all, it's an good drugstore mascara, but still haven't found the "soulmate."
EDIT: I stopped using this and then came back and now I love this mascara :) I use a sticky note behind my lashes and that makes the application faster. Then I apply a couple more coats and I have defined, volumized lashes! The only cons I have now are the minor smudging and the fact that I wish it lengthened a little more.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2011 8:01:00 PM More reviews by triplet3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great mascara, it makes my long eyelashes look so volumy !
it gets every single one of my lashes ! my favorite mascara by far !

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2011 6:11:00 PM More reviews by rocksmom

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really hate this mascara. The enormous brush is a pain and all it does to my lashes is make them look really sparse. No volume, length, curl, anything. When I apply it to one eye and look in the mirror I can't see any positive difference, it just looks like I have fewer lashes! I usually use Nyx Doll Eye, but I ran out and missed cherryculture.com's 25% off sale so I figured I would try something from the store. Big mistake. I now have two of these because they were having a BOGO 50% off sale and mascara was all I needed. The unopened one will be going up for swap!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2011 11:53:00 AM More reviews by AryBoooo63

When this came out I was so excited! I was just waiting for my mascara to run out so I could go and buy this stuff! So I bought it, then got home, applied it, and It was an extreme let down.
-The brush is very flimsy.
-I got no length.
-I go for the dramatic look: I tried with this and it was a disgusting clumpy mess.
-After about 2 coats the brush can't really get through.
-It has a funky formula; my eyelashes clumped together the second I put it on. :O
-I have longgggg lashes, I don't reccomend it for long or short!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2011 1:25:00 AM More reviews by Pinkkittyrokz

This mascara did not work for me at all. The only pros are the packaging (really cute) and the separation it gives my lashes. But when it comes to volumizing or lengthening, it did nothing for me. My lashes are already pretty long and have okay volume, but this stuff really didn't emphasize that. They looked thin and spread apart. Maybelline great lash was actually better than this stuff for me. Definitely would not buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/12/2011 7:19:00 PM More reviews by itsrainingsunshine

This product is $6.50 at Walmart. Personally, I don't really like this product. If you wanted really natural looking lashes, then it'd be perfect for you! It doesn't really enhance my lashes like I like my mascaras to do! It just makes them a little longer and fuller. It also has a really horrible smell, which I can't stand! So, to sum it up, you might like it if you want natural looking lashes, but if you want super long, volumized, and glam lashes like I want, then it's not the product for you!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 9:54:00 AM More reviews by blyss

Overview:
I judge mascara quite harshly because I have so many requirements for them. After using high and low brands, I'd say this is a solid good mascara. It's not great or HG but for those who are looking for a good defining mascara and not oily skinned, this might be the one for you.

My Skin and Mascara Requirements:
I'm really particular about mascaras. I have stick straight medium length lashes. They're not voluminous nor sparse. My lids are super oily so it's not a surprise when mascara smear around on my eyes and become the ill fated racoon look.

Product Characteristics (Colour or Textures):
This was advertised as a defining mascara even though it has the Volum' Express title with it. Did it achieve it? Most certainly. I love how this mascara nicely defined without any clumping. I bought this in the darkest shade and it was true to the description. It is an inky black with a hint of glossiness.

Results:
Though I think this is a good seperating gloss, I wouldn't say it's HG or great. It didn't hold my curl and it didn't last an entire day without smudging either. It smudged after 3 hours but racoon eyes. Just enough to be a bit of a mess. I also think this isn't the mascara if you're looking for volume. I was surprised it was linked to the Volum' Express brand. It did very little for volume and when I tried to use 2 coats, it helped a bit more but not by much.

Cost:
I got this on sale at SDM for only $6. Pretty affordable so no complaints there.

Why I Like it:
Nicely defines without any lumps and it has a nice dark slightly glossy look.

Why I don't like it:
It didn't hold a curl and smudge after 3 hours :(

Would I buy it again?
No.. onto to trying more DS mascaras!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2011 1:15:00 AM More reviews by janaoo4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

THE SMELL UGH!!! I don't know what that crappy perfume they dumped into this stuff is, but it smells like a room full of little old ladies. I have a really weak sense of smell and I found I had to hold my breath when putting this stuff on. THIS IS AN EYE PRODUCT, THERE SHOUDN'T BE ANY PERFUMES IN IT, THEY'RE NEEDLESS IRRITANTS THAT COULD SPARK A REACTION!

Ugh, as for the mascara. It's just OK. It's not great, it doesn't really do anything much but darken and define your lashes, it doesn't volumize, it doesn't lengthen, it just is.... I find it doesn't flake as much as people are saying and I touch my eyes a lot, like a lot a lot. But honestly, I JUST bought this stuff a few weeks ago, and I already went out and bought something else. I'm super cheap and that doesn't happen often. Plus, this product doesn't even have any properties that nourish your lashes to make it's just okness acceptable. It's not conditioning, it doesn't protect, it just sits there, smelling aweful like a mix of cheap rose water and violets.

The brush doesn't grab your lashes like other brushes do, so you have to be careful about clumping. I feel like a tooth pick or a Q-tip would have done a better job of coating my lashes.

I would not buy this stuff ever again.

Mascaras should never be scented, at least not so noticeably you can tell.

Mascaras should do more than colour your lashes.

These two things are the only things that this mascara does, it fails as a mascara.