Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base

Not tested on animals

CTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 14%, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 3% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica (CI 77019), Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Hydrated Silica, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470)]

on 12/1/2006 6:31:00 PM

My dermatologist sells this in her office and they offered me a free makeover and the esthetician used Warm Silk on me. I was super skeptical because the powder thing just didn't seem like it would be an effective way to use a foundation. I have mild rosacea, which makes me red in the nose and cheek area, but I have yellow undertones in my skin so it's kind of hard to find a foundation that matches. This is great. Covers my redness.
I subtracted a lippie because of the cost and because even with my oily skin I have to use some kind of moisturizer first or else it can get chalky.

on 11/13/2006 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I hate to give this product a bad review, because I think it's a high quality product. However, the colors are SO limited, I tried 4 different ones (and wasted a lot of hard earned money, and this stuff is more expensive than other powders I've tried) and I still couldn't find a shade that matched my skin. It would look ok when I tested it in the spa, but then when I got it home, put it on and wore it around, I'd notice that it was too dark or too light. So again, in terms of quality I think this is good (though I personally prefer a loose powder, like Bare Essecials) but good luck finding the right color - if you do, I'm sure you'll be pleased. If you don't - you'll probably be upst after shelling out so much money.

on 11/13/2006 5:51:00 PM

I wear Bisque (I'm a BB sand, Stila B)which matches my skin very well. 47 years old with lines, scars, sun damage, broken cap.'s and acne.

Pros: Love the full yet glowing coverage, doesn't break me out, and touch ups are easy with no caking or settling into lines. So much faster and easier to use than loose powder, portable as well. SPF 18 is a plus. Color doesn't change on me and lasting power is good. No oily break thru midday. Heavy gold metal compact is very sturdy.

Cons: $48 a pop and the compact is not refillable. No valid reason for that these days! Been using it a month and have already hit pan in the middle. Granted I need heavy coverage but still - this could get expensive. I agree with other reviewers; throw away the sponge that comes with and use a brush or you own sponge. EDIT: Noticed this stuff turns darker and orange on me by mid afternoon. You can counter this by applying a yellow or white finishing powder over the pressed base, but it's annoying.

on 11/10/2006 2:51:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have used Jane Iredale's PurePressed Base for years. I have problems with acne, oil, and sensitivity, and it covers up and actually helps these problems. My skin looks good and seems less irritated when I use it.

For awhile a couple of years ago, they changed the formula. They subtracted some ingredients, added some, and changed the order of others. (For reference, the one I used to use had jojoba oil in it, and the new one does not.) It made my skin look shiny, itch, and break out in pimples. Yuck! I gave it two lippies because it still covered redness pretty well. I was very grumpy that my HG MU went away.

*UPDATE*I bumped this up to five lippies because they changed the formula again, and I'm back to using it. I think that it helped that they removed the bismuth oxychloride. It doesn't make me break out, although for some reason the first half of the compact makes my skin look flawless, and the last half makes it looks a little shiny and causes it to be a bit bumpy. I don't know why. It's not a brush cleaning issue because after getting disappointing results when finishing an older compact, I used the same brush on a new compact without washing it, and my skin improved. I haven't been able to find another foundation that doesn't cause my skin major problems. I'm happy that I can use this again because it's still the best thing I've found.

on 11/9/2006 4:36:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

If you like powder foundations (and/or MMU), then I might recommend you try this product. Dry skin girls need not bother, as you probably shouldn't be wearing a powder product of any sort. However, if you're oily and prone to breakouts, I'd say this would be a good bet.

I have a terrible time finding foundations that 1)give enough coverage 2) stay put and 3) don't break me out. The only gripe is the "staying put" part, but heck, it's still a powder product. I'm a warm-toned gal and can wear amber in winter & warm sienna in summer. Another point taken off the overall score for the price (you can get it cheaper than retail on ebay & elsewhere, though).

I have used her liquid minerals and then I top off with this product. To get even more coverage simply apply with a flocked sponge. Also, this product does contain bismuth (if you're sensitive to that), but does not give the amount of shine that BE did.

on 10/20/2006 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I wanted to love this so much as the Ivory was a decent colour match for my uber PPP GA#0 skin, but alas, no. I have very dry skin and even when I prep'd my skin with almost a quarter of a jar of CDLM, it still looked immediately cakey and patchy no matter how I applied it. I did try every method in the application book, but it still managed to show up pores I didn't even know I had and highlight every line. I suppose in summary it made me look old. Boo. I also suspect it was beginning to clog my pores and break me out. Double boo.

on 10/15/2006 9:26:00 PM

I was also very skeptical when my aesthetician recommended this product to me. I was not a powder person - I have always used liquid makeup. This product is wonderful because you can build the amount of coverage. It is light but has great coverage and also easy to use. I highly recommend one of the hydration sprays to set the powder - it will help with the rub off. Also, buy one of the brushes. The sponge that comes with the compact is flimsy and doesn't work that great.

on 9/14/2006 9:16:00 AM

I was very skeptical when an aesthetician recommended this. I have dry skin and usually use a moisture-rich foundation. I'm not a big "naturals" person, so I wasn't sold on the mineral makeup idea alone, but I can't argue with the results. As others have noted, I do have to moisturize before using this, but it's definitely worthwhile for me. I love the buildable coverage - I use a light hand, but Jane Iredale is so buildable it is commonly recommended after chemical peels and cosmetic surgery to cover redness and bruising. I like the built-in spf, they were able to match my tricky skin tone perfectly, and it doesn't clog my pores or feel cakey. After several hours, it still feels fresh and reapplication is a breeze, though I agree with others that the included sponge is not great. I rated it as fairly cheap because a compact lasts eons - after 8 months I dropped one and had to replace it. Downsides: as a powder, it can rub off more easily than liquid foundations, and though it doesn't "melt" in hot weather like liquids do, this summer I accidentally touched my sleeve to my face and made a truly nasty mess.

on 9/10/2006 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am on my second compact of this product, and still love it. It has a natural built in SPF 17. It camoflauges my rosacea nicely, and I can wear it year round without every causing acne or dryness. The coverage lasts all day, and it doesn't settle into any of my fine lines, like I thought it would. I also love the fact that I'm not putting any harmful chemicals on my face. Update - I learned that if you have a red mark or an area you want to camoflauge, you can just rub your finger across the pressed minerals in the compact and rub them directly on the area in thin layers until you acheive the amount of coverage you need.

on 9/9/2006 7:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is one the worst foundation I have used. Its quite dying and it causes out breaks for me all over my forehead and cheeks. It drys out my t zone and cause it to be dehydrated, I use very little and it still does this. I much prefer liquid foundations. The only advantage is the SPF it has and thats about it! I would definitely NOT rebuy :(