Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base

Not tested on animals

CTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) 14%, Zinc Oxide (CI 77947) 3% INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Mica (CI 77019), Boron Nitride, Dimethicone, Hydrated Silica, Stearic Acid, Plankton Extract, Algae Extract, Pinus Strobus (Pine) Bark Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract. [ /- Iron Oxides (CI 77489, CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007), Carmine (CI 75470)]

A word of warning: Keep this in the little blue suede case that it comes in. I made the mistake of not doing this and the pretty gold compact got all ugly and scratched looking from rubbing against other items in my makeup case.

The actual make up is the best. I have sensitive, acne proned, dry and combo skin. This gives light-medium buildable coverage. I apply with the body shop face and body brush and it looks flawless. I'm PPP and wear Warm silk. If my skin is a tad dry and I apply it with the m/u pad that comes with it, it looks chalky and gross. So I try to make sure my skin is moisturised and fresh and prefer applying with a big brush. I wear JI whisper blush on top and my skin has never responded negatively. I would describe the finish as matte.

I also sometimes use the dissapear concealer over and/or under this when I have a hideous breakout, and it is well disguised. I will repurchase as I like the ethos behind the ingredients and I don't feel guilty or scared that my makeup is making my skin worse when I wear this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Since August 2006, I struggled with acne and had been looking for a better powder/foundation for months. I have tried clinique (too caky), aveda (too pink), and physician's formula (too orange). None of them worked for me. Then I carefully read all of the review on makeupalley on Jane Iredale's pure press powder, I decided to try it. It is really the best powder I have ever purchased! Now that my skin has totally cleared up, I am still using it. If there is any downside to this, is that, it can make your skin look dryer if your skin is already dry. Keep in mind that I was told to not put on any moisturizer by my dermatologist so natraully my skin was already very dry when I tried Jane Iredale. Also, if you are looking for heavy coverage (to cover your red spots/post acne marks), this may not be for you. But really, which one is more important? Cover your face with caky foundation or let your skin breath and still looks pretty good? I chose the latter. :)

This is by far the best powder foundation I've tried. It just looks like skin -- not cakey or powdery at all. Warm Silk is a good match for me (I wear MAC NC20). The Handi brush makes application quick and easy. Will definitely buy again.

I have very acne prone skin. I bought this makeup under the premise that it would help. It irritated my skin and made it REALLY shiny. I was literally a shiny beacon. After I forked over $200 for this, the disappear cream and two brushes I ordered samples from every other major mineral makeup company. Everyday minerals has Jane Iredale beat by a mile and its a tenth of the price. Note the spa would not take the Jane Iredale products back even though my skin had a bad reaction. Buyer beware.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I started out liking this powder. Finding the right color was difficult. I purchased Warm Silk (too light) and returned to the salon for a shade darker (Amber). I still think the color is off, but I am not willing to try again. While using this powder, my skin seemed to always be irritated. I thought it was the dry heat or cold weather. I stopped using this last week and went back to my Glominerals glopressed base and my skin feels calm again. I have a feeling the high concentration of Bismuth Oxychloride is the reason. From what I've been reading, this ingredient can cause skin to itch and become irritated.

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have been using JI's pure pressed base in Suntan since September 2006 ... I gave this a 3 rating b/c I don't love the product but I don't hate it either. Its just okay.

Pros: Good coverage. I have oily skin so I'm not AS oily as I normally am. I do have to blot but my make up stays on. I like the brush that it comes with ...

Cons: Super expensive. Color choices are horrible. I have difficult coloring to match - I'm yellowy with some red and orange mixed in. A make up sales associate's worst nightmare. :) I'm not happy with Suntan and you can definitely see a color difference from my face to my neck and chest. I'm just too stubborn to find a new powder because I paid so much for it.

AND this is suppossed to help your skin - not so much. I am constantly battling breakouts. They never seem to end. I even get micro and a glycolic peel every month and I STILL have a steady stream of break outs. Its weird and frustrating since I used to have mild acne and not "steady acne."

So I would do your research before you decide to spend this much money. I don't think its worth it!

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I am very very very dissapointed with this product, especially given the price and the non-returnable policy. The colors were WAY off on line and now I cannot even exchange it to get the right color. On top of that I do not think it does a better job than Bare Minerals - I think bare minearls gave a lot more coverage. Maybe if I HAD the right color I would think differently. Also - the recommendation for full coverage is to use the concealer then the powder to set - it makes it look cakey and the concealer does not cover well either. Overall I am very very dissapointed and WISH i could get my money back.

EDIT EDIT:
My skin has become hyper-sensitive again, and I cannot use this. I had read in a few places that they may have changed their formulation, which could also have contributed to the reaction my skin had. Regardless, I can use this for setting foundation for more done-up times. Unfortunately, for daily use, this isn't something I can turn to any longer.

EDIT:
I take back every ugly thing I said about the Jane Iredale pressed powder. It works fabulously, I just had to play with it and figure out how to best apply it to my skin. For daily wear, I start with Smashbox's Oil Free Primer and JI's Active Light concealer. I apply a dusting of the JI Pure Pressed Base (in Bisque) with my MAC Foxtail brush and it works perfectly. On nights out on the town, I set MAC StudioTech (NC15) with this and it works amazingly. It is a little expensive, but so worth it.

Original review:
My aesthetician applies this post-microdermabrasion. I love the look of it; perfectly even skin with a natural finish. Unfortunately, when used consecutively day-after-day, my skin has a horrible reaction. My skin is highly sensitive, so I thought if I were going to have a reaction, I would've had one with just one application. Sadly, thus far, all mineral foundations I've tried have this effect. I think for those who can tolerate mineral makeup, this is a great product and you should definitely give it a shot. It just wasn't "it" for me.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

What a wonderful foundation! I fianally found one that does not aggrevate my sensitive, oily and acne prone skin. The sales person matched me up with the color, golden glow. I was a MAC, NC25,NC30 or C2. I am so happy about this especially after so many disappointing years of hunting for the best foundation for my problematic skin.

Worth every penny of the $50 I paid for it. Opaque enough to work as a concealer, very natural looking and matte. It just makes my skin look polished and fresh. I use it with BE concealer and foundation brushes. This wouldn't necessarily work if you have a lot of breakouts, but as a light foundation it's perfect. I've used BE, Urban Decay, Philosophy and Jane mineral foundations, as well as Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer (also awesome and beautiful looking, although it breaks me out if I use it too much)and powders and Bobbi Brown stick foundation. For my normal, sensitive skin and occasional breakouts, this is the best thing for making my skin look great.