July 31, 2014 | 1901 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Matte Foundation spf 15

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2010 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Mikala78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really don't know what to think of mineral makeup anymore after this experience. I'm typically combination skin (oily T-zone, dry elsewhere), yet this matte formula was so drying.
It actually aged me, made me aware of more lines than WITHOUT the stuff. My pores looked huge, the fine lines around my eyes were many more and more pronounced...like seriously it made me question what the point of producing this was ? hmm...money ? fooling people ?
I looked better without it....with it I looked like I had tired older skin, i looked muddy...like i just washed my face with some dry soil.
and that's exactly what this stuff is really....just dry soil.
I might use it up to set my liquid foundations or tinted moisturizers, but I would definitely not use this powder as a foundation. It provides a little color, but actually accentuates your problem areas and more.
It felt like i had sanded down my face when i applied it, not a pampering feeling at all. Unless you have REALLY oily skin, I can't see this stuff really working for anything else.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/19/2010 7:57:00 PM More reviews by aplend

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using this foundation for a couple of months now. I prefer powders over liquids because they feel less heavy on the face. I tend to rely on MAC studio fix powder as my go-to foundation and I don't really have any problems with it but I guess I wanted to try something new.

I am both oily and acne-prone and so I was a little wary of this product, especially after having bad results with pur minerals foundation. But the matte formula sucked me in and I gave it a try.

First, the packaging is great. the fact that it is a loose mineral powder and the newest packaging is designed so you can screw the inside lid so that it does not spill is totally genius. The results itself are amazing..Ive been using it faithfully pretty much every day and it controls oil on me pretty well throughout the day. The coverage is great and I love that it is buildable, because most days I only like a light coverage. I find that it really reduces the appearance of my pores on my cheeks beside my nose, and I know it sounds gimmicky but I really do believe it improves my skin a little bit!

The price is a little steep but overall I love it and will be repurchasing at some point :)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/19/2010 11:46:00 AM More reviews by Marisglady

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ive never tried the original formula because of the bismuth and the shimmer. I have sensitive oily skyn, and I was sure I would have problems with it. The thing is Ive tried a few brands of mineral foundation , and this really desappointed me.I was so excited to know that BE had a new formula that was matte and bismuth free! The thing is, this does not cover anythinng !!!!.Like other reviewers , I find that it just vanishes...And then It goes from looking like nothing to looking cakey in a second, and the pores of my nose look awful!It makes me look like I have blackheads!!! My skin does not look like a beautiful matte skin afterwards, it looks dull, like Im not healthy at all. Now, Ive heard some people say that they find different colors have been giving them diferent results( as in coverage, finish, oil control...)so for a reference, I chose fairly light (NC20).Did not like it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2010 9:59:00 AM More reviews by Simplicity310

I am in LOVE with this product. I tried the original formula a few years ago and returned it to the store within the same hour. This doesnt give you that awful, metallic looking shine that the original does. It looks like: YOUR SKIN but flawless, airbrushed and smooth. My acne prone skin has not broken out and while this is a few extra steps that my usual liquid foundation -- it is well worth it! I cant believe how it conceals, tones down redness, makes my pores look smaller. This just might be HG material.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2010 7:16:00 PM More reviews by RubyJuly89

Okay, so I love this formula but, there are some cons to it. First, the Original formula is 9g, the Matte formula is only 6g and is $4 more. Other than that I really love the formula but, I wish you got more for your money! Other than that, I find this foundation lives up to it's promise. It helps to keep my super oily skin under control and gives great coverage. I will buy this for life!!!!!!! BTW-love the new sifter tops!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2010 8:22:00 PM More reviews by birdandbee

Over the years I'd given the original BM Foundation multiple chances only to walk away disappointed every time. I found it lacked lasting power, exacerbated my oily t-zone, and made my pores appear more prominent. Given my previous experiences, it was with considerable hesitation that I decided to give the new BM Matte Foundation a try and now, two months after making the leap, I am pleased to report that unlike its predecessor, it DOES NOT DISAPPOINT!

I knew that the BM Matte was a winner for me when, after wearing it to work for the first few days, co-workers started complimenting me on my appearance. What else sold me on BM Matte? For starters, I found that the color, while not an exact match, seemed to give me a little added boost of warmth that still wore naturally without looking like a mask. It feels light on my face (it's not a "no makeup" feel, but definitely much lighter than any product I've tried throughout the years and I've tried a lot) while still managing to provide full coverage (I have several dark spots leftover from old blemishes as well as redness around my nose, chin, and mouth) and doesn't oxidize or migrate.

While I wouldn't say that this product gives me a 100% matte application, I would say that in this case I think that's a plus as it appears slightly dewy on the face avoiding the usual pitfalls of looking either too oily or too flat. I do not use a primer with this product (nor do I use Mineral Veil) so I cannot speak to whether or not either product would improve upon the application or lasting power of BM Matte.

I tend to have sensitive, acne-prone skin that reacts quickly to products that don't agree with it, but in this case, I've been using the BM Matte Foundation for approximately 2 months now without issue.

For reference, my color of choice in BM Matte is 'Medium Beige' (which I believe it the most commonly purchased shade) and upon the advice of several MUAers, I've opted to apply this with the Ecotools Bamboo Blush Brush (#1201) which I purchased at a local Harmon store (it's also available at stores like Ulta , Rite Aid, Walgreens,and Target) as I find it to be more affordable and much softer than the brush offered by BM which is scratchy and overpriced at around $28.

The new sift and lock style container proves clean and convenient and the price is just right for me at around $27(US). I also like that these days, BM is relatively ubiquitous being sold at a wide variety of cosmetic retailers making it difficult to purchase in a pinch.

For additional reference, previous foundations I used for extended periods of time were MAC StudioFix Powder Foundation (C3, NC30) - too heavy, caused breakouts, and migrated/oxidized and Laura Mercier Foundation Powder (No. 2) - too few colors to choose from, too heavy, lacked oil control, and too expensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2010 6:47:00 PM More reviews by luminous

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

as much as i wanted to love it, i'm just not impressed with this product. i recently fell in love with the Original BE formula -- which i'd be wearing now, except that i've (frustratingly) realized i AM one of those people who are allergic to it.

so i tried the Matte, knowing it doesn't contain bismuth (the offending ingredient in the Original). what a disappointment. my favorite thing about the Original is that it's just so creamy. Leslie says in one of the videos that it's "not really a powder; it's just in powder form." that was my exact experience. the Original practically melts right into your skin, looks completely natural, and covers like a dream!

the Matte is a totally different story. it's super dry, definitely feels powdery, and (when i finally do get it to show up!) just sits on my skin looking obvious. even more ridiculous, is that it doesn't even cover anything. while i can get by with maybe a 2-layer (kabuki brush) application with the Original, i needed at least 3-4 layers with the Matte before it even started to take the edge off my acne scars and blotchiness. i kept looking down at the brush, wondering where all the makeup was going. because it wasn't on the brush anymore, but there was no evidence of coverage on my face!

all in all, IMO this stuff is only selling well because it's riding on the BE name/reputation. it is DEFINITELY not worth $28 a jar. even Physician's Formula pressed MMU, which is about $11 at Target, covers more thoroughly and naturally than this (although i don't use that anymore b/c it cakes and settles into my lines by the end of the day).

having tried this formula makes me all the more frustrated that i can't use BE Original - because out of all the brands that i've tried (PF, Everyday Minerals, Joppa, Aubrey Nicole...) BE Original is by far the best MMU i've ever used. best coverage, longest lasting, most natural looking, etc.

ah well.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/5/2010 10:55:00 AM More reviews by strawberrydelight

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using the original BE foundation for over 4 years.
I bought the new, matte version last year.

Pros: Doesn't leave skin oily at all.
-The packaging is way better than the original one.
-Suited for people who want to opt for a light-medium coverage.

Cons: I need FULL coverage, this foundation just didn't do it for me. I tried to build up the layers but it still didn't cover my acne scars :(.

Now I mix my original BE and the matte version together when applying foundation and find it works better that way. I tend to only use the matte version on my oily T-zone.

I probably would buy this product again but only in a smaller pot because I don't use it as much as the original BE.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2010 3:33:00 PM More reviews by meganterese

I like that this foundation looks very natural. It's a steep price ($28) but mine lasts about a year for each pot I buy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2010 5:23:00 AM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

I don't us BE anymore but when I used it this was my favorite formula. I used it wet (sprayed my kabuki with water, swirled in foundation, spritzed one more time, then applied to face). It's best (full coverage anyway) with a kabuki.

It was medium coverage with pretty good oil control.

I stopped buying BE tho because the Bismuth Oxycloride was causing red bumps on my forehead (though it's not in this formula). It's in all the products but this one.

Also, this formula is $3 more and if you look at the grams or oz it has less in it than the original. Same with Mineral Veil/Tinted Mineral Veil. They're always in the same container, but have less in them for more money. BE is a rip off.