Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 2/2/2011 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a very average product. I don't love the appearance, I'm not wowed by the price, and it really doesn't do anything to mattify or control oil.
So why have I gone through 3 jars of this and own 3 different shades at a time? Because it is the ONLY powder foundation with no shimmer that is a decent color match for my skin and doesn't oxidize into some funny color. Also, I can mix together different shades and adjust based on my skin color at that time and based on how much blush or bronzed I plan to use.

I really want to find a better product, but for the time being I am stuck with this. To avoid a chalky finish, I always moisturize, prime, and then use setting mist. Also to avoid the completely matte, flat
look without making my face too "glowy", I use another finishing powder on top.

FYI my skin is light-medium with yellow undertones, very oily t-zone but blemish free and no wrinkles. No skincare concerns other than oiliness

on 1/24/2011 9:41:00 PM

I like their concept but I don't like the product. I have very oily skin at certain times of the year, and this makes my oily skin tight and look caked and dry. When I try to blot off some of the powder for a less made-up look, I lose the coverage that I want to cover up blemishes and scars. I do moisturize my skin in the morning, and I always use a primer, so that is not the issue. I just don't like this. I also hate how messy loose mineral makeup is. Sticking with Pur Minerals from now on!

on 1/24/2011 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I really wanted this to work for me. I really dont like this product.
COLOR: I got the Matte medium tan, Im NC40 and felt that it was too red for my skin. It was not a good color match.

COVERAGE: It was a light to medium coverage, just didnt cover my redness in my skin and I had to keep going over the same spot several times. Due to this reason, it sunk into my pores made it more visible. I tried to spray some mist over it but it just made me more shinier. Its not waterproof.

WEARABILITY: My face felt dry, tight and itchy during the day. But when i look in the mirror I had breakthrough shine in less than 2 hours. I looked oily but my skin felt like it was cracking.

No thanks, even though this is "natural". perhaps I will stick with my "unnatural" makeup revlon colorstay.

on 1/24/2011 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really tried to like this product (having oily skin & being disappointed with the original formula) but I found it to be a big let-down. First of all, no matter how lightly, how many swirls and taps, no matter how much blending... this did NOT cover up the red areas on my cheeks. It did nothing at all for my large pores (even accentuated them), and it oxidizes terribly within the first few hours of wear. Seems like one needs near-perfect skin to start with in order to get good results with this foundation. Very disappointed!

on 1/16/2011 3:32:00 PM

Sadly, this product didn't work for me. I wanted so badly to like it because of all the talk about it being good for your skin. I have a lot of skin issues, consisting of blemishes, blackheads and uneven texture, broken capillaries on my nose, redness + scarring + oilyness. The sales person at sephora went on and on about how ''it works so great on blemishes and oily skin'' so i gave in. Sooo dissappointed! First of all the primer was a complete joke, and then this makeup would peel off on areas of my skin that arent oily. Also, it wouldn't cover my acne, but rather just gather around the bumps and not cover them. It sunk into my blackheads, and all of my discoloration and acne scarrs were completely visible. I also didn't notice any oil-control happening. I think this product could work for something who has a really even skin texture and maybe a few acne bumps. For people with more complicated skin, this product just won't do anything for you.

on 1/16/2011 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried this foundation a number of times and never had any luck. My skind used to be in horrible shape...over the top oily, acne, acne scars and so on. When my skin was quite awful looking this makeup just wouldn't cut for me. The "matte" effect didn't make any difference on the oiliness and it didn't cover my horrid blemishes like I needed it too. Plus I was having problems with shade match. Now after sometime I've been on acne perscription and my acne is gone and my scars have started to fade. I've also seemed to get the oiliness under control too. With that being said I once again tried this product and went with my gut on the shade match rather than listening to the SA and I'm really liking it this go 'round. It is winter right now though so that may be a reason my skin isn't as oily as normal and why this seems to be working. I'm an NC 20 from mac and I use the fair shade and it's a perfect match. In my opinion even though websites say "fair" has pink undertones I don't agree and feel they are more neutral to yellow. Just to see how close it was to the NC 20 I tapped a little BE into my Mac compact an I couldn't even tell the difference shade-wise. I had tried fairly light in the past and it always looked to pink. Fair however is perfect. I still love my MAC studio fix powder plus foundation but I like this as well. I've been switching back and forth between the two....btw I CAN'T STAND the BE original formula, it's awful and this trumps it by far!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have oily skin, so this product is perfect for me.
However, I do not recommend using this in the winter. Your skin dries out in cold weather, so matte is not what you should put on dry skin, even if you use a moisturizer.
I prefer the original form of Bare Escentuals to use in colder weather, but in the spring and summer, matte controls my shine!

on 1/12/2011 5:46:00 AM

I love this foundation very natural matte finish i love it.I have oily acne-prone skin with alot of acne scarring and current blemishes just been wearing for a week now and its actually helped get rid of my acne, For the best coverage for me i get a sponge like a makeup puff and with your skin moisturised i get a little product on there and pat it gently on the scarring and blemishes then apply everywhere and it gives almost a full coverage i love it best foundation ever..And ive tried them all!

on 1/10/2011 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the matte foundation. I tried using the original, but it made my T-zone oily-er and my (usually not visible) pores look huge. I love the finish of this foundation on my combo to oily skin. I do not get that T-zone shine that I used to get. It really does work to control oil production. I always use Mineral Veil over it to smooth out the finish and hold it on longer. I love the combination.
Has a medium coverage, like all mineral powders do, so in the event that I am going out or taking pictures, I'll throw a little Hello Flawless powder over it for max coverage.
I did try to change to a liquid make-up when it started getting cold for more hydration but, within a few days, my face started breaking out and even looked older. I love how natural and lightweight this foundation is. It's definitely my HG!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I tried the original formula a few years ago, and was not impressed. The color didn't match my skin, it didn't cover any of my acne or discoloration, and made my skin super oily. The thing I did love however, was that when my skin became oily, it didn't look like oily MAKEUP, it looked like oily SKIN. Another thing was that it made my skin clear up and didn't cause any breakouts.
So I'm on the hunt to find my HG foundation, and I saw that they came out with a matte formula so I thought i'd give it another try. $28 is more than I usually spend on makeup (since i usually just buy from the drugstore) but I think it's worth the money. I think this may be my HG.

Overall, MUCH better than the original. First of all, the packaging is GENIUS..just perfect. I've only had it for a few days and I already love it. It doesn't look like makeup, it just looks beautiful. I think you need a decent brush to get good coverage (i use the flat top kabuki from everyday minerals) and it give medium coverage. It keeps my oily skin looking matte and healthy. About 5hrs later, my skin starts to get shiny, but it looks like a healthy "glow" so it looks really nice. I don't use a primer (because I'm also on the hunt for the perfect primer). I don't put a powder over it, i just spot conceal with my Revlon Colorstay concealer.

I would suggest this to anyone basically, it's totally worth it and will last a while.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review/Comparison: BareMinerals vs. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination by TheKatalicious17

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products