Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 1/16/2011 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I have tried this foundation a number of times and never had any luck. My skind used to be in horrible shape...over the top oily, acne, acne scars and so on. When my skin was quite awful looking this makeup just wouldn't cut for me. The "matte" effect didn't make any difference on the oiliness and it didn't cover my horrid blemishes like I needed it too. Plus I was having problems with shade match. Now after sometime I've been on acne perscription and my acne is gone and my scars have started to fade. I've also seemed to get the oiliness under control too. With that being said I once again tried this product and went with my gut on the shade match rather than listening to the SA and I'm really liking it this go 'round. It is winter right now though so that may be a reason my skin isn't as oily as normal and why this seems to be working. I'm an NC 20 from mac and I use the fair shade and it's a perfect match. In my opinion even though websites say "fair" has pink undertones I don't agree and feel they are more neutral to yellow. Just to see how close it was to the NC 20 I tapped a little BE into my Mac compact an I couldn't even tell the difference shade-wise. I had tried fairly light in the past and it always looked to pink. Fair however is perfect. I still love my MAC studio fix powder plus foundation but I like this as well. I've been switching back and forth between the two....btw I CAN'T STAND the BE original formula, it's awful and this trumps it by far!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I have oily skin, so this product is perfect for me.
However, I do not recommend using this in the winter. Your skin dries out in cold weather, so matte is not what you should put on dry skin, even if you use a moisturizer.
I prefer the original form of Bare Escentuals to use in colder weather, but in the spring and summer, matte controls my shine!

on 1/12/2011 5:46:00 AM

I love this foundation very natural matte finish i love it.I have oily acne-prone skin with alot of acne scarring and current blemishes just been wearing for a week now and its actually helped get rid of my acne, For the best coverage for me i get a sponge like a makeup puff and with your skin moisturised i get a little product on there and pat it gently on the scarring and blemishes then apply everywhere and it gives almost a full coverage i love it best foundation ever..And ive tried them all!

on 1/10/2011 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the matte foundation. I tried using the original, but it made my T-zone oily-er and my (usually not visible) pores look huge. I love the finish of this foundation on my combo to oily skin. I do not get that T-zone shine that I used to get. It really does work to control oil production. I always use Mineral Veil over it to smooth out the finish and hold it on longer. I love the combination.
Has a medium coverage, like all mineral powders do, so in the event that I am going out or taking pictures, I'll throw a little Hello Flawless powder over it for max coverage.
I did try to change to a liquid make-up when it started getting cold for more hydration but, within a few days, my face started breaking out and even looked older. I love how natural and lightweight this foundation is. It's definitely my HG!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I tried the original formula a few years ago, and was not impressed. The color didn't match my skin, it didn't cover any of my acne or discoloration, and made my skin super oily. The thing I did love however, was that when my skin became oily, it didn't look like oily MAKEUP, it looked like oily SKIN. Another thing was that it made my skin clear up and didn't cause any breakouts.
So I'm on the hunt to find my HG foundation, and I saw that they came out with a matte formula so I thought i'd give it another try. $28 is more than I usually spend on makeup (since i usually just buy from the drugstore) but I think it's worth the money. I think this may be my HG.

Overall, MUCH better than the original. First of all, the packaging is GENIUS..just perfect. I've only had it for a few days and I already love it. It doesn't look like makeup, it just looks beautiful. I think you need a decent brush to get good coverage (i use the flat top kabuki from everyday minerals) and it give medium coverage. It keeps my oily skin looking matte and healthy. About 5hrs later, my skin starts to get shiny, but it looks like a healthy "glow" so it looks really nice. I don't use a primer (because I'm also on the hunt for the perfect primer). I don't put a powder over it, i just spot conceal with my Revlon Colorstay concealer.

I would suggest this to anyone basically, it's totally worth it and will last a while.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I am rewriting this review. I had this foundation for over a year before it recently ran out, and honestly I miss it. It works great as a light-medium mineral foundation. It covers pores wonderfully, helps neutralize any redness and scarring, although you need to use concealer with it if you, like me, have acne or other skin marks. The lasting power is pretty good without a primer, but with a primer it lasts all day. It is matte for a while before a little natural shine peeks through, which I actually like the look of. However, it's easy to use a bit of blot powder on top without making it look caked up.

I am usually NC15 (neutral-yellow undertones, fairly pale), and the lightest shade worked great. It was a neutral shade with just a hint more yellow than pink, which is great for most skintones. Very natural.

Is it worth the price? I'm not sure. Many independent makeup brands sell mineral makeup similar to this stuff, but I haven't tried any. I definitely plan to, though.

on 1/4/2011 12:35:00 PM

Not a big fan of this or the original BE foundation. This product gives zero coverage. I dislike scraping my skin with a kabuki brush to buff, buff, buff it in - really how ridiculous when you think about it. I much prefer Clinique Almost Powder which gives me coverage, spf 15, looks natural, and is amazingly easy to apply.

on 12/27/2010 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this foundation off and on for two years, and I feel compelled to write a review, finally, because I've recently figured out how to really make this foundation work for me. When I first tried this foundation, I experimented with Fairly Light and Fair (knowing Light was definitely too yellow for my skintone). I needed a slightly deeper color, but at first it didn't occur to me to try the Medium shade range, since my skin is still fair-to-light. The key to the Medium shade range is that it contains the correct shades for light skin with pink-to-neutral undertones (as opposed to strong golden undertones, which the Light shade range has). I found that Medium is actually my closest shade match. I also own Fair (the palest color) and Medium Beige (a slightly deeper and more golden version of Medium). I mix all three colors together in different proportions depending on the time of year. Now I really like this foundation. A well-blended application on moisturized skin makes my face look glowing and even. I apply the Mineral Veil lightly on top of the foundation, then I pat my face lightly all over with damp hands to set the foundation and make it look less powdery and more natural.

on 12/27/2010 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've been searching for a foundation that wouldn't contribute more break outs to my already acne prone skin and this was sadly no exception.. The color match and coverage were perfect but after wearing it everyday, my acne only got worse and in places I never usually got them before. Now 3 weeks after swearing off this foundation, I'm left with large, noticeable scars I feel extremely self-conscious about... ):

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I got a 10 day sample of this from Sephora, and I was excited to try it out. I hadn't made the plunge into liquid foundation, and I wanted something with a matte finish. All the other powder foundations I'd tried (the regualr BE formula and Merle Norman) had too much shimmer in them for my liking. The amount in the sample was generous and I got a bit of usage out of it, but I had a love/hate relationship with this product which bordered more on the hate side.

I love the coverage this gave me (a medium to full coverage) but I found that even with a silicone based primer (like Smashbox photofinish) it settled into the lines around my eyes and mouth and made them more pronounced. I feel like, with this formula, if I bought a full size, I would go through it pretty quickly. The 10 day sample actually only lasted me 5 days, with light coverage on my forehead/chin/nose and a heavier coat on my cheeks.

The worst thing about this, for me, was it made my skin itch like CRAZY if I sweat, especially around my hairline, jaw line, and around my nose. I didn't have that problem with the regular formula, and it was extremely uncomfortable. Thankfully, it only happened the last time I wore it, but it was enough to make me never want to wear the product again.