September 2, 2014 | 1938 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2011 10:15:00 PM More reviews by DBiggs23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like the Beauty Blender so far, today is my second day using it and I must say it is way easier and much more flawless of an application. I will update if my thoughts change. I was not happy that the cleanser did not come with the double package so I believe I will have to purchase that, the sponge is stained already. Not a big deal but I would rather it be clean. Overall though I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2011 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Sippinonkrystyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Definetly worth the splurge and lives up to the hype! I am a big skeptic and always hold out on trying new things till its been out on the market for a while and has had plenty of reviews. I know there are a few alternatives like the Sonia kashuk (which I haven't tried) and the one by Ulta which was 5 bucks. I tried that first and it was a waste of my 5 dollars. It does not compare to the beauty blender at all! I love the way it blends my foundation with ease and it feels pleasant while I stipple/bounce it on my face. It can soak up a bit even when wet, but to avoid wasting it, I dot my foundation all over my face then blend it with the beautyblender. The price may be steep but spend the extra 6 bucks and get the double pack.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2011 2:31:00 AM More reviews by AlyssaJD

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Girls. Girls. Thought this looks like just a cute sponge, it is soooo much more than that. THIS SPONGE is the KING of all sponges. I have always used sponge wedges. The y give the best coverage when pressed against the skin (very fast obviously) And have searched for an alternative. I bought the Sonia Kashuk sponge and it dosn't even compare. (I looked here and some said the Sonia Kashuk is better??? You clearly have never tried the BB. So make sure you push down when you take it out of the packaging. You will notice the texture and softness is like no sponge you have felt before. Get it wet and it will expand and get to be twice the size. The sonia kashuk is much "harder" and does not expand. When you "stipple it on" with the sk you feel like your punching yourself in the face. Trust me. They do not compare in any way shape or form. The beautyblender brings out the best in your foundation. It gives you more coverage, uses wayyy less product that sponge wedges, and when its wet, gives you an auhmazinggg finish. Go for the double pack when you buy, cheaper. Now, for ME i will buy this again. Im shocked at how great this thing is. I had serious doubts i was wasting my money. BUT It saves me foundation, gives me more coverage, faster to do a whole face of foundation, and i love the finish it gives me. I haven't found a cheaper alternative yet.

Things i dont like,
The face that you must get it wet is kindof a pain. Luckly my bathroom is right across from my bedroom. Something to think about.
Also, im not a germ freak... but it dose bother me that you are reusing a sponge over and over again, getting it wet. It has to have tons of bacteria... but for the price of it, i gotta say f*ck the bacteria, im using this thing till it falls appart. Now off to find the best cleanser for this thing....

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I came across this sponge here on makeupalley and found one on Ebay. Am I glad that I purchased this little gem! Like other reviewers, I was initially skeptical about an egg shaped sponge. I watched the video on proper use on the beautyblender website (www.beautyblender.net). But, after my first use, I was sold. I used a cream foundation to try this out (a very tricky to apply Siganture Club A 8 Butters Creamery Foundation and Concealer) and the application was flawless, seamless and best of all, quick. I found that I was able to quickly stipple both the concealer and the foundation. I even used the sponge to stipple on the Signature Club A Jet Tech Aloe Puffed Powder (a pressed powder) to set it all. The results were simply beautiful. I had not been able to successfully use this foundation to my liking (even though a stippling brush produced acceptable results - it took too long to apply evenly) and every other sponge that I tried was very difficult to maneuver, even using the sponges damp. But, with the beautyblender, the application was so much easier and my foundation did not looked caked on, dry or cracked. My pores disappeared, the look was clean, flawless yet polished. An airbrushed finish by the time I was done. I quickly tried this beautyblender sponge with other liquid foundations that I had lying around such as Ready To Wear Liquid Lift and another Ready to Wear cream foundation and the results were the same. Flawless, airbrushed, clean yet polished. If you're looking for a better foundation application, definitely give this sponge a look. If you've got foundations lying around that you don't use, resurrect them and try them with this sponge. You may just fall in love with those foundations again. Definitely will continue to use and repurchase if sponge wears out eventually.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 3:03:00 PM More reviews by ndebace

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh, beautyblender, I must confess, I did not want to like you at all! You are so expensive and, I mean, what's the big deal about a stinking sponge, right? WRONG! I finally caved and bought this and I could KICK myself for not getting it sooner! My makeup has never looked better or taken less time to apply! I am so amazed! This little sponge is worth its weight in gold - and yes, that is about how much it costs - but it is VERY durable and washable. Before this I was using a new disposable sponge wedge every day. So, in the long run, I think I am actually going to save money. I also like the packaging - at first I thought it was ridiculous overkill, but I kept it because I found that it is perfect for storing the sponge when I am not using it and to dry it after I clean it - I love that it closes up and keeps it clean of dust, debris. Really a fantastic beauty tool!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2011 12:06:00 AM More reviews by Simms85

I first heard of this sponge after seeing a YouTube video of Kim K's makeup routine. I hesitated to buy it because I feel Kim K is a worthless human being, but eventually I started seeing buzz about it on various blogs and eventually MUA. I finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago and bought one.

Now, I too have gorgeous airbrushed-looking skin and I didn't even have to make an adult tape with a C-list R&B singer!

Yes, the BeautyBlender is expensive. Almost exorbitantly so, if you think about the cost of raw materials to make just one tiny sponge, but I've never been able to apply foundation and concealer so flawlessly, and gotten so many compliments on my skin (even though I used it with the same foundation I've been using for years!). Seriously - I have some terrible vices that wreak havoc on my skin - namely bourbon and Camel Lights - and if I put on my foundation with the BeautyBlender, no one can tell! It's that good.

It's design is simple but ingenious, and soft enough to blend out any stippling, even around the eyes and nose. I'd go into detail about how to apply, but there are several other reviews that do so, as well as an official BeautyBlender video on YouTube. If you choose to purchase it (and you should), take a look!

I'll continue to buy these over and over again. I can't imagine putting on my foundation without one.

31 out of 41 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2011 6:31:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this about 3 years ago and left it to languish in my MU drawer. After reading the new reviews on this I decided to give it another try. I use it damp (emphasis on 'damp', not 'wet') and pat-stipple the fdt (any) on my face, rather than swipe it. It really does an excellent job of softening the fdt (especially the thicker, full-coverage ones) and avoiding the masky/cakey look. Fdt looks more even, better blended, w/o giving up on coverage. Even with setting powder on.

So far, I've used it with Kevin Aucoin's liquid fdt., Dior's sculpt (a must for this type of fdt), Calvin Klein's matte liquid, Sephora's perfecting liquid fdt., and Estee Lauder's full coverage fdt (the one in the blue tube), and it's worked beautifully with all of them. I wash it gently after each use ad let it air-dry. I just use regular hand wash because I can't afford the brand's detergent. Works anyway.

I'm glad I resurrected this little gem. I do recommend it. In fact, the thicker, matter the ftd, the more I recommend you to use this sponge.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 2:22:00 PM More reviews by pineappleprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for a few months now. If you're going to buy the sponge, you might as well bite the bullet and purchase the cleanser as well - that'll save you from your woes when you can't get the foundation off it. As a professional makeup artist, this is a really great tool to have. I use it when I want a flawless look for my own face - so I guess you can say that it's worth the steep price! I bought mine here in Canada online at ebeauty.ca. You can buy the sponge and cleanser together to save money. I'd definitely recommend this sponge. It's not super popular in Canada yet but I have a feeling it will be soon!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2011 1:00:00 AM More reviews by kaejlarh92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the best sponge I have ever used. I bought it online at $17 for two over here in Australia. Which us awesome because they're normally $20 for just one! I love how it expands when wet and it feels soo nice and soft. Make up goes on like a dream. I definitely won't be wasting my money on buying more regular sponges or foundation brushes when this fabulous little pink sponge does a much better job for a range of makeup products! I will definitely be repurchasing once both of them have worn out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by mellypmakeup

I just started using the BeautyBlender and already I can say i love how it made my makeup look. I tried it dry but did notice i needed more foundation to cover my face (1 pump and a 1/2) when used damp i only used 1/2 of 1 pump for my entire face! that less than i've used with a regular damp sponge! i really like this product. I'm sold!!