beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 3/24/2013 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely love this. I wish that I had given then is a try before I bought my MAC Kabuki brushes. This sponge blends everything perfectly especially if I'm using thicker foundations. I use this to blend my under eye concealer and use afterwards to press my loose powder in that area.

I have a couple of complaints about this sponge. It is really expensive, You would think that the company would at least invest on a better packaging. It also hard to get rid of the foundation stain when I use long wearing foundations. I have to be very careful when I'm cleaning this as I have long nails and I found myself poking holes on it the first time around. I ended up buying the soap for it because I found that the sponge lasted longer rather than using baby shampoo.

Anyway I will definitely buy this again because it is so easy to use. It just my face look more flawless with this no matter what foundation I use. I'm already going on my third one in a year with roughly 4 uses a week.

on 3/23/2013 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This does make my foundation go on smooth and gives an airbrushed quality, but it needs to be a little damp to do that. And if it's damp, it ends up giving me a matte look, which is no good on my dry skin. If I use it dry, it soaks up too much foundation, so I've been using it to buff down my makeup after I apply it with a brush or fingertips. I still think it's a good product, but I wish it were easier to get a dewey look.

on 3/22/2013 11:28:00 PM

This little sponge has radically changed my relationship with liquid foundation! I loved this from the moment I used it but later decided to go through my foundation cast-offs (many!) to see if it might be able to help some of them. I realized it may well have been my application techniques-- stippling, painting, buffing, etc that I disliked and not actually the foundations themselves. Now I happily bounce/pounce my way to get sheer, even and natural looking coverage. It is pricey, but with all the money I've spent on subpar products this seems a pittance. For me it eliminates the dreaded problem of foundation separating on my nose and creating flakes on dry areas. My makeup looks fresh hours later. I've never been so thrilled with a product before :)

on 3/21/2013 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Similar to everyone else, I was apprehensive about purchasing the beauty blender (BB) purely based on the price however decided to give it a go given all the great reviews it receives.

I recently started using Revlonís Colour Stay foundation, and although I love this foundation and love how my face is not as oily at the end of the day, I found that it was looking a tad "cakey" on my face when using sigmas angled kabuki brush for the application.

Used the foundation with the BB this morning and I am very impressed with the results. The BB helps to achieve a flawless and finish. The BB is really easy to use, just put it under some warm water, then squeeze out the excess fluid and apply the foundation in a bouncing motion.

Great applicator, very glad that I decided to purchase the BB! Would highly recommend you give it a go, it is worth the money.

For all my fellow Australians, I was searching for a while for a site that didn't have crazy shipping to get the BB and came across www.crushcosmetics.com.au/

Quick delivery and have a wide range of NYX and ELF products too!

on 3/21/2013 6:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was apprehensive to purchase the Beautyblender, because I typically do not like the finish that sponge application of foundations provides. This is unlike any other sponge I have used, and I am happy that I purchased it (on my third one now). I saturate the Beautyblender with water as directed and squeeze out the excess. I place the foundation on my hand, dab the Beautyblender into the foundation, and bounce the Beautyblender on my face to apply the foundation.
The shape is perfect as the pointed end enables me to apply foundation to my nose and area between my nose and eyes easily. It is easy to clean using soap and hot water. With almost daily use one will last about four months (with daily cleaning). After four months or so they start to get cracks and begin to fall apart.
I prefer the Beautyblender over my high-end foundation brushes. The only other thing I use to apply foundation is the E.L.F. Powder Brush, which I also prefer over the $$$ brushes I have purchased in the past.
I will continue to buy the Beautyblender. Also, it is less expensive per Beautyblender if you buy the two pack. I have used the Beautyblender cleanser, and I would not recommend buying this as other soaps and cleansers work better at cleaning it. Right now I am using Tincture of Green Soap to clean my makeup brushes and my Beautyblender. It works amazing.

on 3/21/2013 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I hesitated for a long time before purchasing the set from sephora including two blenders and a bottle of the cleanser (which I really like as well). I use this almost anytime I use liquid foundation although sometimes I use my sigma f80. I think this gives a better finish than the f80 but sometimes I don't feel like using the sponge since it takes a little longer due to having to wet before use (yes I am that lazy sometimes haha). this never over applies my makeup yet it is really easy to build coverage with. I usually put the makeup on the back of my hand and then dot onto my face before using the blender as I am worried that if I dipped the blender straight into the makeup it might go to waste. The sponge is very easy to clean (I usually use the cleanser it came with since that is what has worked best for me) and I try to be gentle so as not to open the pores and tear it. I really like the pointed end as well for around the eye area.

on 3/21/2013 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Neutral

I absolutely love my BB! I bought the pack of 2 after reading all the raves on this product and I can say I was not disappointed! I love the way it applies my foundation, it is easy to use and easy to clean and I have had mine for a year and both of them are still in great condition! If yours are not lasting a long time, then you are doing something wrong!

on 3/21/2013 5:14:00 PM

I love love love my beauty blender. It's been the only thing that applies my MUFE Mat Velvet + foundation without it looking super heavy and streaky. I just wish the beauty blender was a little less expensive/ lasted longer. I just dab my foundation all over my face, and then stipple until everything blends in really nicely.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the people who report being disappointed with the beauty blender. I had been wanting to try it for a long time, but avoided it because of the price. I finally (regretably) went for it thanks to a pushy sales girl and am pretty unimpressed.

I got the Beauty Blender pure and have been washing it after each use with Dr. Bronners soaps, but it is impossible to get completely clean. I also feel that using the Beauty Blender is a huge waste of water. You are supposed to soak it and squeeze out water before applying foundation and then it requires several "sponge-fulls" to clean it (unless I'm doing something wrong). I have had it for less than 2 weeks and only used it sporadically, but it is already starting to fray. I have not been particualrly aggressive with it. I don't understand how everyone can claim these things are easy to clean and last several months. I take care of my things, but this one already looks like it could be replaced.

I will say that with the beauty blender I can apply foundation much more quickly than with a brush. So, if you don't immediately wash it it could be a time saver. (Although, it's probably not faster than using your hands). I like the idea of the shape of the blender, but for me the pointed top part is still a little too large to be able to reach the smaller areas of my face easily. I will say I got a compliment on my make up the very first time I used it (but I'm never really sure getting a compliment on your foundation IS a compliment because wouldn't the best compliment just be being told you look great rather than your make up looking great but I digress...).

I do feel like doing the put foundation on the back of your hand and dab method wastes foundation. A lot of the foundation ends up getting soaked into the sponge.

All in all, I guess I'm glad I tried it since I would always wonder but for $20 it is absolutely not worth it. In all honesty, I wish I could return it.

Summary List:

Pros
-Can apply foundation quickly
-The rounded shape makes blending easy and the pointed shape may be easier to use for other people
-Does provide even coverage

Cons
-Price
-Wasteful (of water, of foundation, of plastic, of time, of money...)
-Difficult to clean
-Starting to fray after 2 weeks

on 3/16/2013 10:44:00 AM

The beauty blender is expensive but I have to say it works really well, I do not use foundation but I have dark circles with bluish tone and I have always struggled applying concealer in that area, the beauty blender does that job wonderfully I just dab a little concealer with my finger on the dark circles and then dab gently with the beauty blender the result is really nice uniform and light application for me it does a much better job than my fingers or a concealer brush.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools