April 24, 2014 | 988 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2010 12:33:00 AM More reviews by lvn4jesus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I purchased this item at IMATS LA 2010 in Pasadena. One vendor was selling them for $10 each. Why I didn't purchase a gazillion of them I'll never know.
I have purchased the SK version at Target at least three times. I was always disappointed with the product. It would begin to break apart after two or three washings and would crumble on my face. The BeautyBlender feels softer and more pliable in my hand. I have vigorously washed this sponge a minimum of 10 times and there is absolutely no crumbling or breaking apart.
I use creme foundation (Cinema Secrets is the foundation of the moment). I use a foundation brush to apply the product to my face, spritz the BeautyBlender with my glycerin and rosewater solution and stipple/blend the creme foundation out. I get such flawless coverage that I have been asked if I airbrush my foundation. It does that well.
You don't have to use so much product to achieve the look you are going for.
I definitely recommend the purchase of the BeautyBlender. When I attend IMATS LA 2011, I will definitely stock up.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2010 6:53:00 PM More reviews by melanyjada

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

When I first got this, I seriously wondered what the hell I just wasted my money on.

It just looked so tiny and.. nothing special - for the price.

However, this is just amazing. I use this to apply my tinted moisturizer and I use the top of the sponge for my concealer.

Make sure you run this under water before using it with your foundation.

It litterally takes me about 3 minutes (maybe less) to achieve a flawless application (and I have less then perfect skin)

I hope they never discontinue this.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2010 12:12:00 AM More reviews by snactres

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Believe the hype! I wish I had bought the 2-set, as it is way more price effective. The plastic packaging is kind of flimsy and potentially damaging to the brush. Mine did not come with the dvd, but oh well.

It really does not waste product. I use my fingers to apply the product and deposit it on the general area I want it to be on my face, and start stippling (bouncing) and blending--I try to get the most out of my products, so believe me when I say this. I was hesistant to buy this not just because of the price, but because I was afraid it would waste product. I can't emphasize enough how great the finish is.

It blends my undereye concealer, cream blush, and tinted moisturizer really well--who needs expensive airbrush makeup when you've got this? SO much better than a foundation brush.

I just got mine, I hope it lasts for at least a few months. Will update accordingly.

After using this for almost a week, I like it even more! I get a really nice airbrushed look with this. I like using this much better than my foundation/concealer/blush brushes for my liquid-y makeup. Obviously for my powder makeup, I like brushes.

For those concerned about the time it takes to wash it, it really doesn't take that long (trust me, I'm lazy!).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 6:02:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: Feb 2011 Right after I wrote this review, I began using the sponge more on its side, using more of the pointy end, rather than at the very bottom fat part. I like it even better this way. I still don't find using the very top point all that useful though. It seems like if I need to touch up something that tiny, then a small brush works best. I'm still very much in love with this tool. It makes applying flawless foundation so quick!

I still find it most useful for use with liquid foundation. That being said; I do own Boots #7 mousse foundation, (which is awesome) and the BB makes a nice application, but it does not fit down into the jar opening, and probably picks up (wastes) more than dipping in a fd brush or using fingers. It also does not speed up the application process of mousse. However, the finished look is great, and probably helps guard about having a too heavy appearance, which can happen pretty easily with the mousse.

Bottom line, for speed, ease of application, and finished results, it, for me, is still most useful for liquid foundation., I did not think it useful at all for stick foundation (shiseido) and do not own any cream fd to try it with.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Love this! It makes applying liquid foundation so quick! Its virtually foolproof so long as the sponge is damp for use. My makeup looks seamless with so little effort. Plus, it makes the product go a lot further than a brush or even fingers. I've become smitten with Guerlain's Lingerie De Peau, and one depression of the pump onto the back of my hand does my entire face with this sponge. I start out by putting concealer under my eyes (Cle de Peau), then dip the larger end of the sponge in the little puddle of foundation which I've squirted on the back of my other hand., and just bounce it everywhere quickly. Under my eyes I do go over the concealer with the sponge, but don't concentrate on the area. I rarely use the pointed end of the egg

I've tried rubbing the pointed end onto the concealer stick, and applying it to my under eye area, but that does not seem to give any better results than just patting the concealer on with my finger first.

I did use this a couple of times with Shiseido's stick foundation, and it can be done, but it takes a lot longer. Maybe I was not doing it right, but it seemed to defeat the purpose of stick foundation.

I have not tried the Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge, mainly due to reading several reviews saying how much extra product the sponge absorbs. It did not seem to be a cost savings to me to buy a less expensive sponge, if it was going to make me go through my foundation faster.

As others have said, the cleanser is ridiculously expensive. and the sponge needs to be clean or it doesn't work correctly. I like the way the cleanser smells, and the convenience of the dispenser bottle, but, when this bottle runs out, I plan to try Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser (as per another poster's suggestion) or some sort of more reasonably priced product to wash it with.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2010 11:31:00 PM More reviews by yiwangzhihe

not as good as Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge which sells only for half the price, and works even better!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 6:06:00 PM More reviews by cherinicole418

When I first saw this product I really wanted to try it but just started using liquid foundation and didn't want to splurge on these sponges. I eventually received it as a birthday gift from a friend and fell in love with them. The sponge applies makeup smoothly and very naturally. I don't like a makeup-y look or feel so this, combined with the foundation I choose to use, is perfect for the natural look I want while providing good coverage. The sponge is supposed to be used damp so this may have something to do with the ease of application. I know that some have said that it does the same as a good brush that doesn't need replaced as often, but I think it works faster (even if you do clean it with every application) and you have more control than with a foundation brush. To save money, I suggest purchasing the 2-pack of sponges for only $6 more.

I also received the cleanser with my sponges, which can be purchased with the sponge(s) as a set or separately. I like the cleanser and cleaning the sponge definitely prolongs the life of it but the cleanser is really, absurdly expensive...I even purchased another bottle after my gift ran out and will stand by my opinion. My Neutrogena One Step Gentle facial cleanser works just as well and I can use it on my face (unlike the blendercleanser). I wouldn't use just any cleanser and definitely not a scrub but that one works well--for makeup brushes too :)

I do want to point out that my main reason for locating a new sponge cleanser to use is that the blendercleanser contains vegetable-based cleansing agents and while it is not applied directly to the face and it is rinsed from the sponge, I didn't want to take any chances since I break out easy enough without added help from anything vegetable-based. That, in addition to the steep price tag, led to my experimentation with the gentle facial cleanser.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2010 2:20:00 PM More reviews by QWERTY2345

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Does this sponge give a seamless, flawless finish? Yes. Is it something a brush CAN'T do? No. This sponge gives the same finish a good brush can give. The difference is, the sponge must be cleaned THOROUGHLY immediately afterward to avoid staining. Whereas a brush only needs a quick spot cleaning. Would I buy this again? No. Good product, but too inconvenient to clean and maintain.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 5:05:00 AM More reviews by luvbug753

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was very hesitant about buying this product but after a couple of months I caved in and purchased the set that included 2 sponges and the sponge cleaner. I have used damped sponges before and loved the flawless coverage it gave me. The only problems that I had with other sponges was that when dampened they became a little harder to work with because they were not as dense. I love the beauty blender because I get the same effect but its much easier to work with. It covers a larger area and you can get a better grip because it is a larger sponge which is important when you are trying to stipple your foundation on. I really like that there is no tugging of my skin especially when I am putting my under eye concealer and that my concealer doesn't settle on the fine lines around my eyes. Product just gets perfectly distributed. Its egg shape really helps when you want to cover small areas, just have to use the narrow side. Overall a great tool. Very happy with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2010 10:56:00 PM More reviews by vester1228

Love, love, love this item! It makes foundation go on unbelievably beautiful, gives a really flawless finish. I also use it for my undereye concealer and the shape is fantasic and really gets into the eye area perfectly. Well worth the money. I have thrown out all my other sponges.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2010 3:35:00 PM More reviews by behappy08

I was very skeptical about this little pink sponge. I taught it was just a sponge! In my opinion It has exceeded my expectations. I have always applied my liquid foundation with my fingers, I don't really care for brushes. The beauty blender gives me the best finish for my liquid foundation. I use the sponge damp, I think it gives a more natural flawless finish. I use it with MUFE mat velvet plus. It looks as if I am not wearing foundation. It washes well. I am really pleased with the pink sponge. I will repurchase again. On days when I don't use it I can really tell the difference.