April 16, 2014 | 1886 users online

Masks - Aztec Secret - Indian Healing Clay

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2007 1:10:00 PM More reviews by virgy123

I've been using this for so long, I took it for granted and never occured to me to review it, LOL!

I buy 1 lb. of this at either a healthfood or conventional grocery store and spend between $6 - $8 USD, depending upon where I buy it. It lasts forever!

That it comes in powder form contributes to the sheer versatility of this product. I can mix up a teaspoon of clay to 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar when I really want to draw out the oil, or mix it up with 1/2 tsp. ACV and 1 heaping tsp. of organic plain yogurt for a more cooling effect.

I used to mix it up with ACV and uncoated aspirin, but I've gone off the aspirin mask, preferring to obtain my BHA in other forms.

One combination I've found to be best for smooth, glowing skin:
1 heaping tsp. clay
1 heaping tsp. plain organic yogurt
1 level tsp. royal jelly

Leave on for 30 minutes, then rinse with tepid water. The downside is this is messy! The plus side, is you're really feeding your skin with the yogurt and honey, while tightening pores with the clay.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2007 11:13:00 AM More reviews by olivia1173

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Have used this mask twice and I am under the impression that I have found my HG mask. The first time I mixed it with water and left it on for a very short time....it sucked out all the black heads on my nose in no time flat...no redness and no "pulsating" like it promised. The second time I used ACV and the mixing was much easier (almost like a fizzy foam) and i stirred it until it got "mask consistancy". I applied and left on for about an hour. I felt MAJOR pulsating...like my heart was beating in my face. It tried very tight and got a little painful on my forehead. I rinsed it off by filling the sink with hot water and used a washcloth to soak/steam it off. My face is radiant today! My pores are tight and clean and my face has such a glow!!! I will be using this mask for a long time! THIS IS A MUST BUY!!! You can add vit E or mix with rose water if you are dry....add tea tree oil if you are acne prone. Its fab! So happy I found this reviewed on this forum!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2007 6:48:00 AM More reviews by masaya

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried this at least three times, first with the ACV as a mixing medium. I usually say a bit more about a product regardless my rating, but this one broke me out! The very next day there were three gigantic bright red pimples on my face. I was blemish free for more than a month, the longest in the past 6 months. Thanks to this (the only new product in my usual regimen), my skin has not recovered yet. Tried this with water and the other time with aloe vera, my face felt itchy. So I stopped it. For reference, I have very oily and acne-prone skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2007 10:46:00 PM More reviews by tanassa02

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I would disagree with the reviewer below. While in GENERAL, clay masks aren't that great for dry skin, this mask is INCREDIBLY customizable. So one can add vitamin E, glycerin, or other beneficial ingredients to suit your needs. I've used it twice, once with ACV, Vit E and Glycerin, and the other time with just ACV and Vit C. With the first use, the mask wasn't ad drawing or pulsating as I'd expected based on the reviews, but it did help to bring a few issues to the surface, which i think is what a mask is supposed to do. The second time was Pulse city. I left it on to dry completely, and wore it for a total of about 1.5 hours. It was pulsating the whole time once it dried, and my skin was really taught. Even though i have pretty dry skin, i like this mask a lot. And i can always make it more hydrating that plain clay alone, and add more goodies to boot..

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2007 10:23:00 AM More reviews by kristrit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Would not recommend for dry skin. I recently had a facial and the aesthetician said any clay masks will dry out already dry skin and she did not recommend them. It's nothing negative about the mask itself, it's just you may want to check out more hydrating masks if you have dry skin and in addition maybe use a glycolic product. That may help remove any gunk in the pores (along with a gentle scrub a couple times a week). I ended up giving this to a friend who says she has oily skin. I'm curious to see how it works out for her.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2007 7:57:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

UPDATE: After trying this another 2 times I finallly tossed it. It just irritates my skin too too much. Leaves it red and itchy even when I mix with water, or with soothing oils. A mask is supposed to make my skin better, not worse. Its cheap, but thats it.

Good, but not great. I've used this several times mixed with various things like water, milk, ACV, yogurt, and most recently my L'Occitane Amande Apple toner. The toner works the best, making it super smooth and creamy and it smells delish (just like the toner). Does a very decent job of cleaning pores and leaving my skin smooth and fresh. What I don't like about it is how red it makes my skin. I have uber-tuff skin and this leaves it red and sensitive for at least 2 hours. I usually spread a thick layer of aloe vera on my face after washing off the mask and leave it on for an hour or so, which does a good job of releaving the irritation. It also doesn't do as good a job as my Andrea Revitalizing mask which is almost as cheap and is also mixable but does an amazing job of minimizing my pores, smoothing my skin and doesn't irritate at all. So I'll use up the huge tub I have, but won't buy again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2007 3:35:00 PM More reviews by bunnybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this mask yet; I've been using it for years! I love it...it's pure, natural, inexpensive, versatile, and very effective! It's the only thing that will remove the very stubborn blackheads on my nose! Yes, it dries very hard and tight, even to the point that it distorts your facial features while it's on, but it WORKS!

I've tried it in numerous ways:

1. With water: the mask eventually works, but the water is slightly difficult to combine with the clay powder. It takes a while to mix, and it still usually ends up lumpy and not very easily spread on the face.

2. With ACV: this creates a fizzy sensation when combining with the clay powder, and is easier to mix than the water. Some may dislike the smell, but it's only temporary, and it does seem to make a great difference for giving the face a nice, smooth, refreshed look.

3. With milk (skim, because that's what I drink): this also creates a slight fizz when stirred into the clay powder, but it's more of a light foam effect. Mixing is very quick and easy, and the mask becomes more creamy and mousse-like in texture. Thus, it is very easy to spread onto the face. I also love how the milk creates a cooling, soothing sensation upon application. My skin loves AHAs, so the lactic acid is an added bonus to the powerful clay. ♥

4. My favorite way after all the experimentation? Aztec Indian Healing clay + ACV + 5 aspirin tablets + a dab of honey. This creates a purifying (clay, ACV, honey), oil absorbing (clay), exfoliating (ACV, aspirin), soothing and moisturizing (honey) mask that is easy to mix, easy to apply, and easy to rinse.

Another tip? Use those little plastic containers that mochi ice cream comes in. I cut up the container and use the individual "cup" to mix the mask -- it's just the right size, and it's easily reusable! continued >>

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2007 12:50:00 AM More reviews by marianita737

officially my HG mask!!! it is, in my opinion, better than any other mask i've used by leaps and bounds. i use it with apple cider vinegar about once or twice a week (my combination skin can be sensitive) and it's just amazing. you can feel it cleaning out your pores, and after using it for a few weeks my pores look smaller and skin feels smoother. also my breakouts are much less bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2007 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Andreangel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is fun and practical. I doubt I will have to purchase another clay mask again I can just make my own. I totally agree with one of the reviewer below saying using it full strength with water HURTS the face. I use it with milk, and I found that its great, mild enough to have my skin tolerate it, and still has the refreshing quality of a clay mask. Best part about getting a tub of this is that it makes it so easy to experiment and make your own masks. I now have a bunch of "natural ingredients" in the bath room cupboard such as Jojoba oil, caster oil, glycerin, rose water, aloe vera (which didn't work at all with this so dont try it) etc. that I mix and experiment in the Aztec clay mix to make my own masks that suits the mood. Probably the only negative thing I would say is that this can get messy to fuss around with. EDIT: Still loving it. Try this on your body! I bring a small jar of this when I travel. Ask the hotel concierge to bring me some milk (for drinking and mixing) and mix some as a body mask on. Great Fun! It leaves your skin soft and clean =)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2007 3:54:00 AM More reviews by alex_bradley

I absolutely love this mask.
At first, I used it with water, and it did an awesome job. I could tell it was working by the "pulsating" that I was feeling. I started using ACV, and it made it that much stronger. My skin is so smooth and clear, and I'm getting to the point where I won't have to wear foundation anymore.
I can use this mask every night, but I've started using it 2-3 times per week. My mother has to try to restrict my usage, because she always sees me with a mask on. I just love this mask so much.
Another plus is that the only ingredient is the clay itself, which is completely awesome.
Some may find that it is a hassle to actually mix the clay, but the result is worth it, and it lets you put whatever you want into the mix.
I totally recommend this mask. I can get a two-pound tub at my local health food store for about 13 dollars, which isn't bad because the clay lasts for so long (if you don't use it once-a-night like I did).