July 29, 2014 | 1648 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/17/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by allymack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a nice, thick moisturizer for the body with a pleasantly light scent. I've been putting mine in a spray bottle that I keep next to a space heater, so it's always in liquid form. Then I put it on before bed. I do not intend to re-purchase because it's a bit too thick for my needs, and takes quite a while to sink in, so I would only ever use it before bed and not during the day. Too greasy. Also, it's not exactly cheap considering that, for me at least, it's no miracle-worker. Finally, you have to take pains to make sure it keeps from going totally into solid form, which is inconvenient. This would probably be good for someone with severely dry skin who prefers all-natural products.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2011 3:09:00 AM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Pros:
- For hair: I do a deep conditioning masque about one a week (Massage it into scalp, and
onto the rest of my hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it on for about 1 hour then go
shower like usual.) It has made my hair SO SHINY. and BOUNCY. and BEAUTIFUL. and
THICKER. and HOW DID I EVER LIVE WITHOUT THIS. I also use it after styling to
make my hair smooth and shiny. It's great because coconut oil repairs the damaged
proteins in your hair - what kind of shine serum can you find on the market that also
repairs your hair naturally?? NONE!! I loved it so much I introduced it to my mom, she
began using it as a deep conditioner also. She also loved it- she has been regularly
perming her hair for almost all her life due to her thin hair, but it has been a year now
since she has permed it (which is a long, long, time for her.) She also introduced it to my
dad, who likes it for its thickening effects (he is losing hair). I have tried olive oil in the
past- it didn't do much. Coconut oil is liquid gold.

- For skin: I have slight eczema on my skin, and I rub a tiny amount on my dry patches
before I go to bed. I wake up with hydrated, bright skin. Only downfall is, if I use this
too often or too much, it makes me break out.

- For nails: I didn't really think coconut oil would do anything for my nails, but I tried
it out anyways. I massaged them into my bare nails. I found that it was absorbed
very quickly so I reapplied and massaged about 3 times. After washing my hands I
applied nail polish. Usually, after about 5 days of wearing nail polish, my nails chip
and crack. Amazingly they didn't, and stayed strong and long for the whole duration
of the color (2 weeks for this nail polish, it is very long lasting).

Cons:
- I didn't know about this till about a year ago. Why. Where have you been all my life.

Overall:

I.LOVE.IT. Everybody has a fantastic, natural, beneficial use for coconut oil.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2011 12:49:00 AM More reviews by divathing

I use this mixed with tea tree oil for the psoriasis on my scalp (as a conditioner and to oil the scalp) I also mix this with olive oil as a deep conditioner and i mix it with corn starch and baking soda as a deodorant. AMAZING! VERSATILE! please do not use on your face. that just sounds wrong. as long as u know what to use it 4 it will treat u well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2011 8:50:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

COCONUT OIL CAN DO NO WRONG. No, seriously. Well, except for those few people with sensitivities or easily clogged pores ... :(

Otherwise! This stuff [and sunshine] is what life is made of! No wonder places in the world with heavily coconut-based diets seem to do so well, health and vitality wise.

I have had coconut oil for a few months, along with shea butter, which I decided to transition to from all my chemical-laden products [okay, I wasn't that bad, but in the past year and a half or so my skin went from perfect to pizza ... donno why]. But every time I tried to use EVCO [and yes, that distinction is important] on my skin [after a shower when it would still be warm and damp], it would do no more than simply sit on top of dry, stretched skin. Even worse on my lips. But for my hair -- amazing! My mom used to put lots of oils in my hair when I was young, so I'm no stranger to the idea. If only I hadn't become a stupid teenager that scoffed at the practice in the middle. Oh my, believe me, have I ever learned the error of my ways! I don't usually coat the whole head with EVCO, though that would be ideal, since it is one of the three oils [olive and avocado being the other two] that can actually penetrate the hair shaft; rather, I smear a pea-sized amount through most of the length, focusing on the ends, wet or dry, to soften it up, give it some shine, and most importantly, remove tangles. Works like a CHARM. Better than any silicone-based serum, better than CHI silk, definitely better than heat protectants. [I wouldn't suggest using it as one though]

However ... for all the rave reviews, it had been relegated to a corner of my drawer, solely used for hair, in my belief that it simply didn't agree with my skin. Because of its highly comedogenic properties, I was deathly afraid to use it on my face. But I started to get annoyed at how shea butter was so hard and waxy [yes, sufficiently warmed up and melted and used on a damp face] and tugged at my face, made me into a greaseball, and mostly sat on top of my skin, to rub off during the night and leave it dry again in the morning. NOT ideal and not what I was expecting. So I decided to go for broke and try EVCO as my moisturizer ..and lo and behold!! One application later, my skin tone was evening out [I have paler, pinker cheeks than the rest of my skin], bumpiness [which randomly appeared recently -- are those clogged pores?] seemed to be smoothing out, redness was going down, current pimples coming to a head ... and skin soft and supple!

I gave it another few days to make sure I didn't break out -- and so far, so good! Even when I get slightly too lasvicious and free-handed with my application [no such thing as too much of a good thing, is my EVCO motto]. I decided to whip the rest of my shea butter [its doing no good in its current, pure form ... simply too heavy for any use] with coconut oil, and I discovered yet ANOTHER amazing product! Silky, smooth, scrumptious mousse which now moisturizes all of my skin wonderfully and was SO much fun to make and mess with. Absorbs fairly quickly and doesn't leave me greasy for too long - and nowhere near as greasy as either oil was alone. Still only EVCO on my face, as I want to see how that goes.

It was even better tonight with a sugar/avocado oil scrub, followed by ACV toner and EVCO moisturizer. I'm normally afraid of avocado oil, as it broke me out the one time I used it on my face. But I digress.

All hail coconut oil! Good to eat, good to smell, good to taste, good to feel, good for your skin, good for your body, good for hair, good for infections, dryness, eczema/psoriasis, yeast, lube, etc etc etc. The all around Wonder Product, hard little multitasker and true love all in one. I want to take it out on a date and show it a good time. I'm sooo sorry for the essay, but ... is there anything it CAN'T do?

It's only too bad that in dry, cold Canada, it's so much harder and more expensive to get my hands on any. It's soo cheaaappp on Amazon *cry*

update March 28, 2012
Not as great as I thought it was. In order to absorb, has to be applied to damp skin, otherwise sits on top of the skin; won't absorb into my lips at all. Recently it seems as though oils actually do clog my pores [I can't pinpoint coconut though as I hadn't used it for a while at the point of figuring this out] -- it is GREAT for hair, however, and I still love how creamy it is added to lotions. And so so good for making the skin soft, at least temporarily, applied after a shower. Not my miracle oil though, still looking for that!

ps refined coconut oil Sucks. With a capital 'S.' Lumpy, oily, disgusting. Still absorbs nicely, but whats the point without all the nutrients and benefits and that gorgeous smell that lets you know its REAL? I still use it for my hair though, as I feel like it can soak through the shaft but the nutrients of organic unrefined coconut oil are wasted on dead cells. sigh

alsooo...one of the uses I've found for coconut oil beyond hair/skin is to clean my makeup brushes. We all know some makeup is harder to clean than others ... If I have something on them that just won't come out with my normal brush cleanser [CV soaps ... brush shampoo, baby/cat shampoo ... none of them cut it], I coat it fully in coconut oil, then I can 'squeeze' out the pigments and wash with my regular brush cleanser and it gets rid of EVERY last trace of makeup. Works like a charm every time!

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2011 10:17:00 PM More reviews by ILoveYouAlways

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

THE BEST!!

Putting Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil on my face & whole body everyday and drinking Smart Basics Organic Certified Mangosteen 100% Pure Juice everyday (I get from vitacost) have been miraculous for my skin! These are the only things that I have found that moisturize my skin (& hair!)! (and my Treat Soft Candy Lip Balm! Yummy! :D The best!! It's also mostly coconut oil! :D) They have gotten rid of all my wrinkles, fixed the appearance of my scars, and they make me feel young! :D Also, I put CO on my feet at night while sleeping in bed and it makes my feet not have pain from wearing high heels all day! :D All of my prayers answered!! Thank you Jesus and thank you MUA Beauties! :D I tried CO b/c of here! xoxo Thank you also for listing your experiences and all of the positives and negatives about it! I got acne on my face, upper chest and some on my neck and it itched when I 1st used it but I loved what it did for my skin too much to give up on it so I put Desitin original on my upper chest and neck to clear up the acne immediately and I put extra strength evening primrose oil (applying it with the back of a spoon) on my face and then put the Desitin original on top of the evening primrose oil (which deep cleans/clears out my pores and left in on my face while I slept overnight and wiped it off in the morning) and after the acne was gone, I retried the CO again and when my skin got used to the CO, it would give it all of the benefits without making my skin get acne! :D My skin is fussy! lol (A MD told me about Desitin original being good for skin because they said zinc oxide and cod liver oil are good for skin.)

(Also, the Spectrum Refined Organic Coconut Oil and Garden of Life Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil didn't improve or work for my skin or hair at all.)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 7:09:00 PM More reviews by makeup1love

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just got some virgin coconut oil from the health food store and I'm in love. I take the time to rub virgin coconut oil on my entire body after every shower and am really getting rewarded for it. My skin feels so soft and dewy and it is so much softer and just lovely.
Now also at night after my face scrub I was noticing my face was really dry and my night time lotion was cutting it, so I grabbed some virgin coconut oil and it the morning there was no dry spots, and makeup goes on so smooth.
I cant live without virgin coconut oil. I put it in my hair before I blow dry and it's just something everyone has to try once.
It's a solid so you have to get some out with your fingers and it melts into your palms and apply liberally . The virgin coconut oil will go on really oily and you might hate it at first but with a minute or two is all absorbed and leaves your skin glowing!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 8:47:00 AM More reviews by breeeezybabyy

goodbye coco butter, hello coconut oil. Great for many uses. If you have bad dandruff, this is great for a scalp treatment. Before showers, take a tblspn or two of coconut oil and massage onto scalp,can be use for rest of hair.for deep conditioning also, leave on for 10 mins. Then wash off and almost instantly your dandruff is gone !

Also a great way to fade stretch marks and prevent new stretch marks from appearing. You can use in a sauna, which I recommend indulging your body with coconut oil before entering the sauna. I used this product almost all day everyday while pregnant and you can barely even see my stretch marks, little or if none at all !!

It is also a great alternative to vegatable oil for cooking. Much healthier and gives your food a hint of coconut, but without it being too over powering.

So a great conditioner, moisturizer, and cooking oil ? I think so :)

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2011 12:01:00 PM More reviews by lmaxt17

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay I have used every skin care products known. I never have written a review on anything before, but I just couldn't resist. I have oily, acne prone skin and have had a hard time finding a moisturizer that works. Well I have found it!! Organic virgin coconut oil ! I have been using this at night as a moisturizer and it it amazing! My skin looks clearer and softer than ever. My acne scars are fading, my pores look smaller and my complexion is much better. I have been using this all over my body to help with dry skin during the dry winter months in Minnesota. My husband has been using this as well and loves it. Give it a try!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 12:23:00 PM More reviews by laureg

Wow! I can't believe I didn't start using this sooner! I've been using virgin coconut oil from the health food store for about 3 months now, since reading the reviews, to remove makeup, moisturize, smooth down my hair, etc. Wow!

As a facial product, this stuff is wonderful. I've tried other oils- olive, safflower, avocado, mineral, etc.- for OCM and moisturizing. The coconut works the best, hands down. It melts into a liquid and is so easy to remove. It has lots of slip, takes everything off and leaves my skin clean, clear, moisturized and glowing. As an added bonus? It appears to be clearing my skin of loads of impurities I didn't even know I had. My skin hasn't been bad, but the oil seems to be dissolving small blackheads, plugs, etc. My skin looks great and I haven't had to use all kinds of other face products, like before, to moisturize, hydrate, etc. My skin is also quite oily at times, and regular use of the coconut oil has improved this significantly and regulated any oilies.

I've also been using it on my body and hair as a moisturizer and pre-shampoo treatment, and again- great results. I have mild KP on the tops of my arms, and using coconut oil has pretty much cleared it all up with regular use. Too bad I didn't clue into this years ago. I'd have saved myself a ton of money on beauty products, cleansing oils, body butters, and what have you. As it is, I have a whole pile of beauty products that are now sitting unused and lonely.

Try this for yourself. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how effective and multipurpose this stuff is.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2011 1:57:00 PM More reviews by trilla14

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

:D
I use this everywhere!
For my face and hair!
It reduces breakage and enhances shine .
My skin is smooth and glowing a lot more.
My hair was never better without this!