November 24, 2014 | 1974 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2004 10:03:00 PM More reviews by jhello

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love the 70's! This product is straight out of 1971 and it still merits being on the market, outdated packaging and all! I did buy a different cap and needle (a metal one, easier to grab and pull) but the product itself is amazing. I was anxious b/c my strands looked a bit orange, but when I rinsed it was a lovely dark blonde -- perfect highlights for my medium-dark brown hair. There's a reason that some products stay on the market for decades and this is obviously one of them!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2004 1:52:00 AM More reviews by hawthorne212

this product works great on coarse asian hair! the only thing is for overall highlights, i strongly suggest getting a friend to help you out. i had difficulty pulling the strands on the back of my head and ended up mostly concentratin on the front. i should have waited longer to rinse out the dye but the 35 minutes still gave me a nice medium brown. great product - the best drugstore hair dye i've used.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2004 10:03:00 AM More reviews by shramlet

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have to admit that I'm surprised by this product. I quit coloring my fine, medium brown hair years ago because it turned red, no matter what I did, and I wasn't willing to pay for salon coloring. After reading the reviews here, I bought the (med-dark brown) kit for US $10, and did my own highlights at home. Wow. For a first-timer, it was pretty foolproof! As long as you read the directions and do the color test, it works as designed. I only left it on for about 12 minutes, and I ended up with sort of honey-caramel highlights, without a bit of red. Time will tell how it grows out, and how it looks on a second application. It does take a LONG time to prep, pulling out the strands. It's also nice if you have a good friend (a very good friend who won't laugh at you wearing the ridiculous-looking cap) pull out the strands in the back. One bit of advice: the directions tell you to comb and remove all tangles from your hair before you begin. Do this. It makes life much easier.

An update to this. I quit using it because I couldn't control the highlights (not being able to see under the cap), and after three times, my hair just got lighter and lighter. I think a comb-in would provide more control.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2004 12:10:00 AM More reviews by miss_LOVELY

This has got to be the most powerful bleach I've ever used. I had gotten the kit for Dark hair.. and believe me.. i have EXTREMELY BLACK hair. I remembered using a L'Oreal bleach before at home.. after 1.5 hours.. my hair was in a horrid bright orange. That was NOT a great experiance.Though, with this great renovation by Revlon, the bleach quickly lifted my hair to BLONDE.. and i mean TRUEE BLONDE!.. I left it on for an hour, and there is no orange tint whatsoever.I ended up with the same results as my sister, who had paid 90$ for her highlights - - while i paid ALMOST 7 dollars at Walmart. Ladies, give this a try. It's worth it. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2004 5:48:00 PM More reviews by carinnemj

The best highlighting kit on the market. And my favorite feature? NO SMELL! This little product is saving me major $$$ and I still get to enjoy gorgeous, classy highlights...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2004 8:45:00 PM More reviews by JadeDragon

This is my first review in months or years! I am asian with the blackest hair. After reading the raving reviews on Revlon's Frost and Glow Kit, I went to my nearest drugstore and bought it for $9.99. The packaging didn't appeal to me though. Anyway, the kit comes with everything you need. I HIGHLY suggest having someone help you with pulling strands through the LightZones Cap. I made the mistake of doing it myself and it took me almost 5 hours! I'm not complaining though because: the kit came with a plastic wrap to prevent drippage, took only 40 minutes to highlight my hair to BEAUTIFUL and NATURAL-LOOKING dark blonde/medium brown highlights, and my hair doesn't feel or look damage at all! All for less than ten bucks! I will never again go to a salon to get highlights. Just ask a relative/friend to help you and you should get perfect highlights for a fraction of the salon cost! What a quality product!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2004 1:30:00 PM More reviews by svenus9

This product is the BEST!!! I tried it last night (just days after reading the reviews on makeupalley) and it is AMAZING! It really is the best thing ever. I'm Korean, so have very very very dark brown, but not quite black, hair. I put it on for about 25-30 and it gave me these blondish, light-brownish streaks all over. Also, unlike other highlighting kits, it did not make my hair dry/straw-like. Very Jessica Alba-ish. You might want to do a test strip on the underside of your hair first like they recommend to see how long you'll need to do it for. Also, make sure you spread the mixture evenly through the entire length of hair, not just on roots. Happy highlighting!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2004 4:42:00 PM More reviews by Princess36

I've been coloring my own dark brown hair for nearly 15 years now, but I usually spent $70-120 on summer hi-lights. Last year I tried the Loreal Cremelights and didn't really like the product. I then tried the Loreal Chunking hi-lights and loved the blonde result, but not the chunks of color. So I've been using a different cap with the Chunking.

Then I read the reviews here for this product. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Not only was it a quicker process, the cap perfectly placed nice thin highlights right where I wanted them. The BEST part is that I have ABSOLUTELY NO red/brassy/orange highlights at all. (Even after leaving the Loreal Chunking on for over 60 mins, I'd have mostly red/orange hi-lights with a few blonde strands.) I only left the Revlon product on for 30 mins and I have beautiful gold/blonde, natural hi-lights!

I also wanted everyone to know that I hi-lighted with this product immediately AFTER applying all over permanent color (Garnier Nutrisse/Acorn) with no damaging side effects. Another great thing - my hair does not have that bleached-out, dry as straw feeling that I'd get with the other products. This is an EXCELLENT product! Thank you Makeup Alley for the suggestions!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2004 8:09:00 PM More reviews by tinkerbell998

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Like everyone else, I love this highlighting kit. I have had many bad experiences dying and highlighting my hair in the past and this was definetly not one of them! My hair usually turns orange and brassy when i lighten it, but this highlighting kit left me with natural blonde highlights. I didn't use the pull-through cap thing because I was scared that I would have splotchy highlights, but I used it when I low-lighted my hair and it worked out great! I like how the mix is blue so you can see where you put it on and it kind of gets hard when you put it on so it doesn't drip all over the place. The kit is $9.99 and worth every penny!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/14/2004 7:45:00 PM More reviews by janifer

Having not tried any other highlighting products before, I can't compare this to anything else. I used this on my black hair, and after 50-55 minutes it lightened it to a orangish-gold color, which I didn't mind since afterwards I used a hair color in medium ash brown to cool the color down. I love the results (dark brown-caramel highlights); however, I probably wouldn't use this product alone unless I wanted garish orange highlights.
Btw, the cap works great (a little painful though)~ I have long hair, and it stayed pretty much tangle-free as long as I brushed it well before using the cap.