MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

on 3/17/2008 2:13:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

The bristles are dense, flat and great for packing on color over the lid, this brush is a must have for me and I use it on a daily basis.. I find it very versatile and can use it for blending as well. A very good alternative is LC 3/8" round mop, they are both made of white goat hair and have virtually the exact same bristle hair cut and shape it sells for less than $4cnd and I use it for darker colors and the 239 for lighter ones.

on 3/14/2008 8:37:00 PM

Like a few other users, I didn't get the hang of this brush at first. User error was definitely the cause, however, because once I realized that this is a good crease color brush I haven't reached for any other (well, at least for crease shading).

I'd tried using this to apply washes and color to my lid, but found that it didn't apply the color as broadly and as evenly as I'd hoped that it would. I promptly switched back to my 252 brush and put the 239 off to the side. Once I tried this to apply my crease color, I realized why some folks consider this a must-have brush. It works well at applying color in the crease--it picks up just enough e/s, applies color evenly and is pretty darn precise.

Would I buy this again? Not as a lid color brush. As a crease/highlighter e/s brush? Absolutely. I'm considering buying a second one, as this gets a lot of use.

on 3/14/2008 3:06:00 PM

The lower rating for this brush could definitely be attributed to user error...but I just cannot get the hang of this brush. I keep reaching for the #217 after trying this brush to add more color to my lid. There is a lighter application of color with the #239, which would be good for building the color up. I'm just a swipe-and-go type of gal most mornings though! I'll keep trying, and reading reviews/boards here for tips...with such high reviews, I don't want to give up just yet! ;)

on 3/11/2008 12:56:00 PM

A good shading brush. Picks up e/s especially well and best of all, it is soft yet firm but not hard. This brush also does a good job of packing on colours for e/s. Colours are more vibrant and intense when packed on. But it's too expensive, more expensive than #217. But I think this brush can last me a lifetime.

on 3/7/2008 9:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is a great brush. It was the first MAC brush I ever bought and it is good for applying colour in a wash. I use it for very basic stuff really but it's definitely an essential brush, along with the 217.

on 2/27/2008 3:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

i have the SE one from holiday 07 heirlooms collection. i'm not sure if its just me, but the bristles feel a little rough on the skin. but overall i still love this brush as an all over eyelid color applicator. i use this to apply my paint pots as well

on 2/22/2008 12:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

WHY did I wait so long to buy this little treasure?

The 239 is the perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect lid brush!

The 239 features soft but dense bristles that magically pick up just the right amount of color when swept across a powder eyeshadow.

I used my 239 for the first time with MAC "Clue," a shadow I loved but couldn't get to show up quite as well as I'd wanted. The 239 makes ALL the difference. For the first time, I can see the slight silver shimmer in "Clue" on my *lids,* not just in the *pan.*

The 239's sturdy handle feels "quality," and makes for easy handling. If you have large eyes, as I do, it may take more than one swipe with the 239 to completely cover your lid, but that's insignificant.

If you're on a tight budget and/or prefer to keep your brush collection to a minimum, I HIGHLY suggest that you get the 239.

I really think that if you have the 239 for lids, the 224 for creases and the 309 for lining, you can do a really professional-looking eye makeup with just those three brushes.

The 239 is about $25 USD, but it's worth every cent!

on 2/13/2008 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

The 239 is my perfect lid brush. I have plenty of other MAC brushes but the 239 is just THE brush. I always grab for it when I'm doing my main lid color. It's so soft, it picks up so much product, and it applies it so vibrant and flawlessly. If you are going to invest in one MAC brush, get the 239.

on 2/7/2008 2:16:00 PM

This is without a doubt my favorite eyeshadow brush ever! I use it for pretty much everything except eyeliner. This always seems to apply the right amount of pigment, shade the lid perfectly, blends, etc. My eyeshadow just doesn't look as good when I have to use other brushes. I currently own 3 of these. 3! I use it so much that constant washing out is almost impossible. I don't even want to think about having to go without my 239. I will definitely replace when the time comes, and maybe even compulsively buy more just to have on hand. If you don't yet have this brush--get it. I don't see how you could regret the purchase. I've had my first one for at least 2 years now and it is still in near-perfect shape. The quality is top-notch.

on 1/27/2008 3:53:00 PM

This is a great everyday shadow brush! Its SUPER soft but still firm and dense. It is paddle shaped with tapered edges that allow it to pick up a lot of color. Great for packing on color all over lid. You can also use it on your brow bone or turn it sideways for crease work when you're in a hurry. One problem: It is a bit small.. but its still an amazing must-have brush!

Popular Makeup Brushes