Pur Minerals Pressed Powder Foundation

3.9

ORIGINAL FORMULATION: Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 8%; Inactive Ingredients:Mica, Boron Nitride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Bismuth Oxychloride, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Carbonate, Silica, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Tocopheryl Acetate, Iron Oxides. May contain: Ultramarines NEW FORMULATION: Ingredients Mica, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Boron Nitride, Bismuth Oxychloride, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Mannitol, Sodium Gluconate, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Waltheria Indica Leaf Extract, Dextrin, Ferulic Acid, L-Lactic Acid, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Silica, Thioctic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Retinol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Ceramide 6 II, Magnolia Officinalis Bark Extract, Vitis Vinifera/Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Skin, Glycerin, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, L-Glutathione, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrated Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aqua, Glucosamine HCI, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem Extract, Magnesium Carbonate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarine (CI 77007)

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Never before have I had a foundation that blends smooth and doesn't irritate my skin has great buildable coverage and doesn't come out cakey if you buff it enough

I personally adore mineral makeup but the Pur mineral brand just didn't do it for me. It applies almost creamy, if built up in an attempt to cover acne or red spots it ends up looking cakey and uneven over time.

The first time I applied this I thought I looked airbrushed. Then I took the mirror in front of a window, in the sunshine I saw that the makeup just looked caked on. I tried having my friend who is a makeup artist apply it on me and the same thing happened. The bismuth in this product also makes my skin itch slightly.

Overall I founf this product to be really poor for skin that needs a lot of coverage, it just didnt end up looking natural. If you have very clear smooth skin this may work for you, if you dont it just ends up looking like a cakey mess in the right light.

I love this product. I needed something with light coverage to hide some acne scars and Pur minerals works perfectly. Just use a firm concealer brush and you're good to go.

There is one drawback though... I normally have dry skin, but after stepping out into the frigid cold weather Pur minerals caused my forehead to be shiny. This happened after I put on a little heavier coverage on my forehead due to a PMS breakout. I just blotted it with a tissue and it went away.

The light foundation matches my skin perfectly. But do not use the sponge it comes with. It's not sanitary and could cause you to break out. Instead, I use my Japonesque Mineral Face brush.

I really wanted to love this foundation but I can't. I've gotten it for about 3 months now and I've used it twice. The packaging is compact and easy to carry around. Comes with pressed powder on one side and a mirror and sponge in the other compartment.

I got the light and maybe it's the wrong color for me but I don't see a difference with and without it. I heard some really good reviews (compared to mac) and I do not agree. Not comparable. It's smooth but does nothing for me.

I was scared to use this because of my prior experience with Everyday Minerals (bad colour) and Alima (bad colour, flakiness, and breakouts), but with Pur Minerals, I have had no breakouts so far (have been using this for about two weeks now) and the coverage is quite good. I usually use a kabuki brush and dust it all over my face and then I use a concealer brush to cover up any spots.

It gives me a nice glow to my face!

EDIT September 25/09. I've been using this for a while now, and I really love it. No breakouts, nice coverage, and the colour is really natural. My skin has actually improved too so unsure if it's because of the acne cream I'm using or this!

I had to try the 4-in-1 pressed makeup because the idea of a mineral foundation/sunscreen/concealer and powder really appeals to me. Also I had heard Pur Minerals was less drying than other mineral makeups due to the shea butter.

I also assumed (incorrectly) that it would be less messy to use pressed minerals instead of loose. But if you're applying with a kabuki, the Pur Minerals is actually messier because the sides of the container are low so the powder loosened by the kabuki gets pushed over the side more easily than with a sifter jar.

I applied the product quite heavily because I found that a light application didn't give me enough coverage. It did look a little cakey by the time I got the coverage I wanted to hide my rosacea. I also used a concealer brush to apply as spot concealer. Once applied, it looked quite nice except for the slight cakiness. The finish was matte but not too flat. It didn't highlight pores or lines, for me. I didn't expect it to work well as a concealer under my eyes, but it didn't crease too badly. In that area it outperformed most mineral makeup I've tried.

As for the cons, it did get a bit oily in my t-zone and my nose needed blotting every few hours. Not too bad, but the makeup really seemed to dry out my cheek area. Apparently the silica is a drying agent (silica can also be dangerous to inhale, and can irritate skin). Also my skin felt itchy. Pur Minerals contains bismuth oxycholoride which apparently 70% of people with sensitive skin have problems with. I had checked Pur Minerals website and thought there was very little bismuth, but on the box it is the fourth ingredient listed.

The next day I noticed my nose had a slight scaliness/flakiness like I'd been in the sun too long (my nose NEVER flakes) and my cheek area was still dry.

Verdict: 4-in-one is going back to the store, and I'm going back to getting my mineral makeup online (EM or Buffd). Bottom line: Pur Minerals performed not much better than other mineral makeups for longevity or oil control, worse for hydration, and it has more unsafe ingredients.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I liked this foundation. I applied a sheer layer and it gave a little coverage and evened out my skin. I like that there is no weird metallic look like I have experienced from some other mineral foundations. This stayed on well and when I used blot paper almost no oil was visable on the paper. I would rebuy this.

For a mineral powder this does offer good coverage but for me it really showed up the wrinkles (especially those deeper lines that could do with some filler!!!) and after the initial smoothing didn't do anything for my average number of large pores in the nose and chin area. This product probably added about 4-5 years to the look of my skin - not on my list of things to do before I turn 50. On purchasing I didn't realise that this product contains silica. If you havn't already done your research on silica then make sure you do.

I was really excited about ordering this product, but after using it the first day, I woke with 2 zits. I have never even had 1 zit before in my entire life and I am in the 40 age group. Needless to say, will not use it. The day I did use it (with a very light hand I might add), my hubby told me it looked like Dee Snider from Twisted Sister's make-up and he rushed me to the Clinique Counter for Almost Powder Foundation which is now my HG.

I tried this again and now it is my HG foundation. When I wrote the earlier review, my skin must have been changing or something because this stuff is awesome!

So I ran into Shoppers (Can) last nite in a rush looking for a pressed powder and the saleswoman told me about this, she said she used it and liked it - I didn't want to spend quite so much $30cdn, but when she applied it to my face and it covered my acne scars AND lit up my under-eye areas I was sold. I'd been wanting to try mineral make-up for awhile now, and so far I'm impressed. It's lasted all day and it's easier to apply then I thought. My only complaint, and it isn't really a complaint is that it doesn't minimize my pores, but I think that needs to be addressed on a skincare level anyway. I have fair, neutral toned skin and "Light" is an almost perfect colour - does not wash me out at all.