Pur Minerals Pressed Powder Foundation

3.9

ORIGINAL FORMULATION: Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 8%; Inactive Ingredients:Mica, Boron Nitride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Bismuth Oxychloride, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Magnesium Carbonate, Silica, Shea Butter (Butyrospermum Parkii), Tocopheryl Acetate, Iron Oxides. May contain: Ultramarines NEW FORMULATION: Ingredients Mica, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Boron Nitride, Bismuth Oxychloride, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Silicate, Sodium Starch Octenylsuccinate, Mannitol, Sodium Gluconate, Citric Acid, Sodium Citrate, Waltheria Indica Leaf Extract, Dextrin, Ferulic Acid, L-Lactic Acid, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Silica, Thioctic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Retinol, L-Ascorbic Acid, Ceramide 6 II, Magnolia Officinalis Bark Extract, Vitis Vinifera/Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Skin, Glycerin, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-5, L-Glutathione, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Hydrated Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Aqua, Glucosamine HCI, Pisum Sativum (Pea) Extract, Bambusa Vulgaris Leaf/Stem Extract, Magnesium Carbonate, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499). May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Ultramarine (CI 77007)

on 1/27/2009 9:46:00 PM

I was scared to use this because of my prior experience with Everyday Minerals (bad colour) and Alima (bad colour, flakiness, and breakouts), but with Pur Minerals, I have had no breakouts so far (have been using this for about two weeks now) and the coverage is quite good. I usually use a kabuki brush and dust it all over my face and then I use a concealer brush to cover up any spots.

It gives me a nice glow to my face!

EDIT September 25/09. I've been using this for a while now, and I really love it. No breakouts, nice coverage, and the colour is really natural. My skin has actually improved too so unsure if it's because of the acne cream I'm using or this!

on 1/26/2009 3:37:00 AM

I had to try the 4-in-1 pressed makeup because the idea of a mineral foundation/sunscreen/concealer and powder really appeals to me. Also I had heard Pur Minerals was less drying than other mineral makeups due to the shea butter.

I also assumed (incorrectly) that it would be less messy to use pressed minerals instead of loose. But if you're applying with a kabuki, the Pur Minerals is actually messier because the sides of the container are low so the powder loosened by the kabuki gets pushed over the side more easily than with a sifter jar.

I applied the product quite heavily because I found that a light application didn't give me enough coverage. It did look a little cakey by the time I got the coverage I wanted to hide my rosacea. I also used a concealer brush to apply as spot concealer. Once applied, it looked quite nice except for the slight cakiness. The finish was matte but not too flat. It didn't highlight pores or lines, for me. I didn't expect it to work well as a concealer under my eyes, but it didn't crease too badly. In that area it outperformed most mineral makeup I've tried.

As for the cons, it did get a bit oily in my t-zone and my nose needed blotting every few hours. Not too bad, but the makeup really seemed to dry out my cheek area. Apparently the silica is a drying agent (silica can also be dangerous to inhale, and can irritate skin). Also my skin felt itchy. Pur Minerals contains bismuth oxycholoride which apparently 70% of people with sensitive skin have problems with. I had checked Pur Minerals website and thought there was very little bismuth, but on the box it is the fourth ingredient listed.

The next day I noticed my nose had a slight scaliness/flakiness like I'd been in the sun too long (my nose NEVER flakes) and my cheek area was still dry.

Verdict: 4-in-one is going back to the store, and I'm going back to getting my mineral makeup online (EM or Buffd). Bottom line: Pur Minerals performed not much better than other mineral makeups for longevity or oil control, worse for hydration, and it has more unsafe ingredients.

on 1/25/2009 5:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I liked this foundation. I applied a sheer layer and it gave a little coverage and evened out my skin. I like that there is no weird metallic look like I have experienced from some other mineral foundations. This stayed on well and when I used blot paper almost no oil was visable on the paper. I would rebuy this.

on 1/17/2009 7:54:00 PM

For a mineral powder this does offer good coverage but for me it really showed up the wrinkles (especially those deeper lines that could do with some filler!!!) and after the initial smoothing didn't do anything for my average number of large pores in the nose and chin area. This product probably added about 4-5 years to the look of my skin - not on my list of things to do before I turn 50. On purchasing I didn't realise that this product contains silica. If you havn't already done your research on silica then make sure you do.

on 1/16/2009 1:00:00 PM

I was really excited about ordering this product, but after using it the first day, I woke with 2 zits. I have never even had 1 zit before in my entire life and I am in the 40 age group. Needless to say, will not use it. The day I did use it (with a very light hand I might add), my hubby told me it looked like Dee Snider from Twisted Sister's make-up and he rushed me to the Clinique Counter for Almost Powder Foundation which is now my HG.

I tried this again and now it is my HG foundation. When I wrote the earlier review, my skin must have been changing or something because this stuff is awesome!

on 1/14/2009 10:36:00 AM

So I ran into Shoppers (Can) last nite in a rush looking for a pressed powder and the saleswoman told me about this, she said she used it and liked it - I didn't want to spend quite so much $30cdn, but when she applied it to my face and it covered my acne scars AND lit up my under-eye areas I was sold. I'd been wanting to try mineral make-up for awhile now, and so far I'm impressed. It's lasted all day and it's easier to apply then I thought. My only complaint, and it isn't really a complaint is that it doesn't minimize my pores, but I think that needs to be addressed on a skincare level anyway. I have fair, neutral toned skin and "Light" is an almost perfect colour - does not wash me out at all.

on 1/13/2009 11:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

YUCK. I wanted to like this so badly. I read a zillion great reviews, talked to a handful of friends who loved it, ordered the starter kit and checked the mail every day until it arrived. I was hoping this would make my makeup routine a lot quicker and easier -- usually I wear a liquid foundation and concealer set with loose powder, which is a little finicky and feels like quite a bit of makeup, but makes my skin look awesome. Anyway, when I FIRST apply this, it looks great. I use concealer first on any particularly dark blemishes/redness, then set with this foundation over top and blend it all together. Again, at first, it looks fresh and light and my skin looks great.

BUT THEN... just a couple of hours later, it looks super shimmery and unnatural. It also wears off on any oily spots -- and I have combination to normal skin in the wintertime -- and just ends up looking blotchy, shiny and gunky. Also, I don't think my skin is generally crazy about this foundation. It seemed to break out/look worse while I was using it.

A huge disappointment for me. And that sucks too, because I was so sure I was going to love it. Every once in a while, I drag it out and give it another go in hopes of liking it. Happens with some products. But no love connection yet. Boohoo.

/rant

on 1/12/2009 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I just bought the starter kit tonight at ulta.

So far, I'm impressed! The blush that comes in the kit is surprisingly perfect, which says a lot because I have pale skin and have a hard time finding the right shade of blush.

I was mixing mostly bare minerals with a tiny bit of everyday minerals before this... which i still love, but I just wanted to try something new.

Pur minerals gives good coverage, the saleswoman at Ulta told me she used red earth invisible touch underneath bare minerals. I tried it under pur minerals and found that the combination gives a beautiful natural finish.

I thought this would be a BE knockoff, but this is a great quality so far.

yay :)

I discovered Pur Minerals after BE and before "converting" to EDM. I was lucky to find a good color match and liked the packaging. My major complaint with mineral makeup is that it doesn't travel well, so it was nice to find a pressed powder that worked. It didn't irritate my skin and the buildable coverage was nice. It was easy to overdo it with this powder, so I'd recommend a nice kabuki brush for even application.

The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is that it did nothing for oil coverage/absorption, which meant that I was constantly adding more throughout the day (or using another power on top). I like the idea of all-in-one makeup, but I need something that decreases shine.

on 1/6/2009 9:58:00 PM

overall it is an ok product, just like many other mineral powders.