August 22, 2014 | 1936 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2008 12:45:00 PM More reviews by skincareman

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used Retin-A cream 0.1% for 2 months and unfortunately all it did was cause excessive irritation and clog my pores.

If you have sensitive skin I'd say go for a good OTC retinoid or Differin. If you're prone to clogged pores make sure you go for the gel version.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2008 10:53:00 AM More reviews by versace1008

Retin A is great. I have been using it for over 10 yrs. A little goes a long way!
I am 33 but people think I look like I am in my late 20's!
I wish it was avalible OTC!
its a great product but some people get redness and peel.
Also need to wear sunscreen if you are using it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2008 9:07:00 PM More reviews by nivlag

I've used Retin A for years for everything/sun damage, pores, wrinkles, and yes, acne. I still get the deep hormonal cysts occasionally but am trying antibiotics for those. I've used this for so long I can't imagine not using it. I did quit for awhile, and I did notice my wrinkles looking deeper/especially the smile lines between your nose and mouth. It's not an overnight improvement, but it does work which is more than I can say about most OTC products!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2008 1:37:00 PM More reviews by Tippchick

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I recently decided to do something about the hyper pigmentation on my face. After much research I decided Retin-A was the way to go. (Thank you MUA!) The first three weeks were brutal and I thought my face was going to fall off completely but then it happened: the glow. It was back. Numerous people have actually complimented me on my brighter complexion. There has been lightening of the brown spots as well as a very noticeable improvement in the texture of my skin. In Ireland I pay about 30 for a tube of Retin-A that I used to pay twice as much for in the States. Considering Oil of Olay Total Effects is just about a tenner lower in price, this is a much better and effective treatment. Highly, highly recommended.

UPDATE: I forgot to renew my prescription and quit using this for about 2 months. During this 2 months my skin's hyperpigmentation increased and I started to get spots from the stress I was under during this time. I went back to my GP and got another prescription. It was awful to go through those first three weeks but it is nice to be back on track again with glowing skin that again has clarity to it! Will not allow my prescription to lapse again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2008 7:57:00 PM More reviews by kiaboo1980

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm back on it! I was prescriped tretinoin .05% 3 years ago and stopped using it after 6 wks (my skin was clear, I got confident, and stopped using it<---CRAZY). Recently my skin has been acting up and nothing OTC has helped too much. Then I remembered that I had a prescription for Retin-A. I pulled it out of my stash and I'm using it again. This time I'm going to stick with it not only for acne, but also for its anti aging properties since I'm almost 30 y/o. It's time that I take some preventative measures, ya know? It works, but not overnight.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2008 12:33:00 AM More reviews by distilled

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

I first tried this to erase red acne marks that showed up when I exercised. I never really saw them until I was at the gym and they covered my face when I got sweaty and red. It certainly got rid of it, although not completely. I've only been on it a year. Reading skin board, magazines and notepads taught me this is the only ingredient in skincare that reduces the signs of photoaging. I do not know if I look younger than when I started, or if I'll look young for years to come. I feel it can be subjective, but I like how this prescription drug makes me confident that I am improving my present and my future.

I order from alldaychemist.com- an amazing, AMAZING deal. I use super-powerful 0.1% gel so that I'm always red and peeling, even when I buffer. Perhaps I should alternate the usage.

I still have a lot of questions though. Like, after I apply, do I really have to turn the lights off and go to sleep? Should I alternate nights? Do I have to use a scrub to cleanse in the morn, can't I use water and cloth? Oh well, its better to play it safe. This is hard work, but its the best out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2008 9:28:00 PM More reviews by designgirl73

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great product for anti aging! I've been using it for a year or so. Along with a diligent skin care routine, my skin has really improved. I am 34 and don't have acne (maybe three or four bumps a year), but I've started to notice the effects of spending my 20's in the sun.

One thing...although my skin is somewhat oily in areas this does dry it out horribly if I use it more than a few times a week. I have to cut back even more in the winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2008 3:02:00 PM More reviews by BunniesKill

This review is based on my use of Retin-A as an anti-aging treatment. I don't have adult acne aside from an occasional breakout, so I admit this may not be useful to you if you're interested in it for that (its intended) purpose.

I believe Retin-A is the gold standard in anti-aging skin care. It's the one with tons of research behind it--conducted by real, independent scientists--and the one with big benefits. This is the real deal as far as retinol products go. Its one drawback is that many women's skin can't handle its side effects.

I realize some women will never be able to tolerate the peeling, redness, etc., but if you're on the fence, I can tell you that the peeling does abate eventually for many people. It's important to make sure your skin is completely dry before applying. You can also start with a very low concentration of tretinoin, moisturize before and after, and start out twice a week only.

The most visible benefits of Retin-A are related to faster cell renewal: clearer skin, smaller-looking pores, fading of discoloration, reduction in fine lines, and smoother texture. It may take several months of faithful use to see dramatic improvement, but I would say it's more than worth waiting for.

Research now strongly suggests that long-term use of Retin-A helps maintain and build new collagen. I think all women (who can tolerate it) should use Retin-A from their teens or twenties onward, and that it's probably the best thing you can do for your skin after protecting it daily with an antioxidant serum and broad-spectrum sunscreen. (I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that you must wear daily SPF while using Retin-A, or you're doing yourself more harm than good.)

For me, this product has been transforming and has taken years off my face, particularly by fading discoloration and shrinking pores (in appearance). The long-term collagen building benefits are exciting too, although it will be years .

I can't go as far as to say I'm 36 and look like I'm 23, like one lucky girl who posted here. (By the way, there are SO many factors that determine a person's apparent age, including her fitness, genetics, hairstyle, clothes, that it's hard to pin someone's youthful looks on her skincare regimen alone.) But I'm 33 and people are usually very surprised to find out I'm not in my twenties--and that DIDN'T happen so much before Retin-A. Not really a controlled experiment, but there ya go. ;)

48 out of 50 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2008 11:18:00 PM More reviews by amyj0654

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this to keep my face under control. It dosen't keep it totally clear but better than with out it. I,ve used this for a little over a year. I just wish it would keep it totally clear. Still working on that. It does dry out your skin. Add moisture!! I'm still trying to perfect my routine.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2008 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Kianaa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Love this product but you need to be patient and diligent, use of this will produce lovely smooth dewy skin. I have been on this for a year and absolutely love it. In the beginning it bought out all imperfections from under my skin and it looked horrible for the first 2 months, then it began to dry out an hooo the flakes of peeling skin for about 3-4 weeks. But then I noticed about 5 months into the treatment my skin was very evenly toned and started to smooth out wonderfully. After getting over the hump my skin today is so smooth and perfectly toned, the makeup just glides on my skin so beautifully..OH and I always use sunscreen...this is a MUST...as my dermatologist recommended. But I have always used sunscreen and was never a beach bunny since I was 16..so lucky for me no wrinkles yet(i am 49 turning 50 this year)..knock on wood..I know its unavoidable but I will fight to the end..loLL!!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No