August 28, 2014 | 981 users online

Mascara - Christian Dior - Diorshow Iconic High Definition Lash Curler Mascara

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2008 9:57:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I was a bit weary before trying this new Dior mascara (I got is as a B-day present recently), as I so much HATED the Diorshow (it irritated my eyes like crazy, sort of allergic reaction!! truly).
So I gave it a try... and was so pleasantly surprised!!!!
The brush is big but...not so much and the helix shaped bristles on the silicon brush work like magic.
You need to apply with a rotating motion...and immediately you get all the promises fulfilled:
1) deep black pigment
2) Looooong lashes, like falsies
3) definition (= lashes are separated non clumped together 4) volume
5) long staying power. Stays really put forever, does not melt with tears or sweat ot humidity. Great!
Practically it has it all. It curles very well (I use no curler), giving you this very open eye (you look younger!) and does not budge nor smudge.
The only little downside (that I learned to cope with) is the removal: it takes forever in the evening to take it off... bi-phase remover, oil, foaming cleanser and a lot of rinses, and I still have traces on my cotton pad when I do the toner.... Yep, it stays put forever, literally.
Other than that, you get the lashes you have been dreaming of.
I also was asked if i was wearing falsies!! .o)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/13/2008 3:48:00 AM More reviews by NewYorRican21

I love this mascara, In my opinion it does all that it ads that it will. It gives long thick lasting curled lashes and is non flaking or smearing. IMO worth the money even if you didn't care for DiorShow

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 11:29:00 PM More reviews by l1p9l055

EDIT: still in love with this mascara.. I haven't touched my other ones since! The only problem with this mascara (though I'm not really sure it should be considered one) is how long lasting it is (no flakes, nothing!). When removing it I think it takes extra effort especially if you don't have something like a cleansing oil. I find that my normal cleanser doesn't really remove it, but I still LOVE it =)
At first when I went into Sephora I was just interested in Shiseido's mascara base after I heard many good things about it. I initally wanted to test my Lancome Virtuose Black Carat mascara with it, but they didn't have a tester, so I grabbed any mascara and that happened to be Dior's Iconic Mascara. I honestly didn't see all the hype about CD's Diorshow. I thought the original did nothing for my lashes, so I really didn't expect that much.
All I have to say is WOW. After putting it on, my lashes looked thicker, longer and just... WOW. It really does give you that doll eye look. I obviously had to buy it. I tried it at home with my Shu curler, the mascara base and Iconic. and the results were.. OMG. I could not believe how open my eyes were now. (I have small eyes). Though, the results could be partially due to the shiseido base, I tested my other eye with the shiseido base and blinc kiss me mascara, but I still found that CD's iconic was better at volumizing, curling, lengthening.. just everything. as the day went on, there wasn't any flaking, or raccoon eyes. The curl held. and I just love this mascara.
For someone that doesn't wear makeup often (i love to buy makeup, not really use it and well who's got the time when its midterms every other week?), its a bit steep for a mascara. 34CAD, slightly more expensive than CD's original. I also find its hard to remove even with bifacil (the best mu remover EVER). but those things are petty when you've got great lashes =)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2008 4:10:00 PM More reviews by whiterabbit23

I love this mascara. On me, it doesn't clump at all. Even with multiple coats, it leaves me with pretty, separated & defined lashes.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2008 5:29:00 AM More reviews by bigamor

Many reviewers say this mascara clumps badly. Yes it does, but I found a way to avoid it: you have to wipe the brush with a tissue, and that's it! And I usually wash the brush in soapy water once a week. And - believe it or not - I don't face any problems with clumping ever since! This mascara lenghtens lashes beautifully, as well as fixes the curl made with Shu curler. No combing required!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/30/2008 3:32:00 AM More reviews by Bambiina

The one good thing first and that is that it gives the lashes good length and curl, but thats about it. It gave my lashes spider legs after two cotes, and it clumps bad
It smudges like hell, and its very hard to remove. i had to try 3 times with cleanser for it to go away. No moore iconic for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2008 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Funnygrl619

I love love love this product. It lengthens and separates, giving the eye a very open look, its great for the lower lash line. It goes hand and hand with Dior show!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/29/2008 5:10:00 PM More reviews by lol3mily

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Sorry to be a downer on this one, but it definitely isnt my favourite. Like all mascaras I'm trying, I apply it after curling with Shu and my Shiseido primer. This started off grey so I had to apply a couple coats to get it black, and by then my lashes were clumping together a bit. It does lengthen, and it definitely holds a curl, though, but the clumping/colour killed it for me :( I might try it again with a lash comb, but for $51 AUD I don't think you should need one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by d_E_S_S

I quite like this. My last favourite was the YSL Everlong for day/natural looking lashes, and the Lancome Fatale for night (always requiring the lashes comb).

As background, I have incredibly straight, short Asian lashes, which wilt very quickly after curling. One of my favourites in the past was the Tarte Lights Camera Lashes mascara - this, like the Everlong, have a tendency to fan out the lashes, so that they look like BAND of lashes (which is what makes lashes sexy), as opposed to clusters (no matter how thick or curly) which most non-comb-brush mascaras produce. However, Tarte (while great for dramatic OR natural lashes) is hard to purchase here in London, while the Everlong creates pretty natural lashes so is not really suitable at night.

Iconic in black is a very dark black. The brush is in a "club" of combs (think of a round hair brush), just like the Everlong's brush. The only difference is that the Iconic's teeth aren't aligned between rows. What this means is that the Everlong, when you rotate it along the lashes, willl just roll and comb out clumps - whereas with the Iconic, clumps tend to get deposited BECAUSE of the teeth not being aligned. Because the formula is quite soft and thick, it fans out your lashes as very dramatic bands of dark lashes (although not as well as the Everlong), but it also means that clumps are pretty common, and these clumps, unlike drier formulas, can sometimes make your lashes stick together between lids as you blink (a bit annoying when you are on a date or something).

WEAR: In terms of wear, this is exceptional for wear (some mascaras fade over time - esp at night when you least want them to!). In terms of smudgeability, it lasts 9-10 hours quite well but does smudge after 12+ hours. (In this regard, this is far superior to the YSL Faux Cils - which gives the same level of thickness - albeit still in clusters instead of bands of lashes - but which smudged even after just 4-5 hours of wear). It can be hard to clean out entirely (ie still leaving a trace) even with cleansing oil.

CURLING: In terms of curling power, this did NOTHING. It lifted my lashes a little bit (hardly what you'd call curling, though), but so did the YSL Everlong. If anything, the Everlong curled MORE despite not being advertised as a curling mascara. It may have been the application - I find that with most mascaras, the trick is to apply it slowly, lifting the lashes as you go along - when you do this slowly enough, the mascara dries while the lashes are still lifted and so would stay that way for the rest of the day. This is preferably done with a comb brush like the Iconic or the Everlong, which would allow you to twist the brush as you lift, fanning the lashes out. Nonetheless, very few mascaras do much more being lifting on my lashes, so I will overlook this.

Of final note, this was the ONLY mascara on the market that makes my lashes grow longer than Everlong. Everlong was advertised to contain nutrients to make your lashes grow faster - and it did, but Iconic makes them even longer! Part of it must be due to the softer/more moisturizing formula, but I have tossed the box so can't tell whether it's an ingredients thing.

Overall, as long as you can spare the time to comb out the clumps, this is a pretty good mascara. Not HG just yet - still awaiting for some company to make that.

UPDATE: One great application tip is to use the tip of the brush to "draw in" the lashes first, as that deposits enough mascaras for volume. Then, to distribute the mascara, it helps to apply the mascara on the top of the lashes first, before applying it from the bottom. This way, the 2 applications "comb out" the clumps from the tip, but still maintains the volume. continued >>

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 8:50:00 AM More reviews by leahluvspink

i read allot of good reviews on here about this product and i wanted to try it for myself so i got myself a tester from ebay.
i am a big follower of the ysl faux cils mascara and i didnt think i would like this, but it was actually brilliant. i dont like the brush but i think that maybe because i need to get used to it, and it took a bit of effort to remove it even with eye makeup remover and a few of my eyelashes came out, but this was the first time i have used it, i just need to get used to it and i do love it. it went on easily gave my lashes thickness, mega length and fanned them out, really dramatic for a night out.i will def be replacing my fave mascara for this and i never thought i would say that.

UPDATE ive had this for about a month now and got myself a full size one and i have to say i love it, ive got used to the brush, its still hard to remove it so if anyone knows a great eye make up remover id appreciate it. but since using this i have not used my ex fave mascara ysl faux cils and i wont be going back to it. i love this.

UPDATE ive just been experimenting with the brush with my other mascaras and iv had fab results. my other mascaras that werent that good have been transformed into great ones. the brush with this is sooo good.