MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 9/3/2011 10:44:00 PM

I love this product. It's such a nice, neutral color. Working indoors in an a/c heated office, my skin would often get shiny and my eyelids would be damp and crease -- not the case anymore since I started applying MAC painterly! I wear it beneath MAC pigment and e/s. Lasts all day.

on 9/3/2011 10:36:00 PM

I use this everyday as a eyeshadow base, regardless of whether I'm going to wear eyeshadow or not. I have fair skin with a pink undertone and this evens out the colour of my eye lids. I do set this with translucent powder though as it will crease on me if I don't.
My shadows simply would not last if I missed this step. It gives a nice base for the shadow to sit on and stay in place, I also find the colour of the eyshadow is more true as it is being applied to an even tone on the lid.

on 9/2/2011 3:49:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Great as a shadow base and on its one when I only have time to apply eye liner. Used everyday so I get lots of value for my money. It evens out the color of my eyelids and doesn't crease througout the day.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

As I've said in other reviews, UDPP is good for what it is: a base layer to prevent creasing shadows.

But when you're looking for a base that prevents creasing AND neutralizes discoloration, then, well, you reach for a paint pot. If you're on the fairer, cooler side, Painterly is your best bet.

On me, Painterly is pinked beige. It's a hair too dark to look natural on my skin, but since I use this product as a base for other colors, all I really expect it to do is even out skintone and give me a blank canvas, which it does magnificently. Shadows are truer to pan, which is to say nothing of the fact that they last through long workdays on moderately oily eyelids.

My only gripe, besides the color itself, is that paint pots in general can be a little tricky to work with. Too much, and you'll negate any anti-creasing benefits. Too little, and it can get difficult to blend. For my part, I use MAC's 242 in small dabs, and I get by just fine.

Despite those small gripes, my makeup routine would be incomplete (and dreadful!) without Painterly. =)

on 8/28/2011 3:50:00 PM

Bought this as a base for shadows (and because the Kardashians use it, so I was encouraged to take the plunge as I love the smokey eye look they're so well known for) and I love it. I've also found it acts as a great base for my MAC glitters (using a flat brush dampened down with Fix+ to pick up and apply the glitters).

Evens out my skin tone (which is very fair) and makes my eyeshadow last all day without creasing. Love! I lippie off for price - but I really would advise to save up for this and commit despite higher price tag as it's really worthwhile.

on 8/27/2011 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This was one of those products I bought to see what the hype was all about. So many reviews on youtube raved about this product so I figured, why not try it out.

When I read that MAC Paint Pots also serve as a primer, I was eager to try it out and see if it was comparable to UDPP. It works well as a base and covers up the veins on my lids....but I did get a bit of creasing. Nothing significant to where I would write off the product completely. I blame my eyelids for being extremely oily. I still wear it from time to time and will try it out more in the winter when I think my lids are less oily. Overall, not a bad product.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

wow! Painterly has definetly lived up to the hype that its gotten on YouTube.. I always wanted a Paintpot but i knew theyre expensive & im poor so I kept it on my Wishlist & when i got a few spare dollars, it was $17.50 when i purchased it plus $5 shipping online since i dont have any mac stores/counters around me.. so altogether it was over $20..which to me for 1 makeup product is really outrageous but people swore by it!
So Paintpots are to be cream bases or primers for your shadows on your eyes.
They are meant to have a few purposes...1. cream bases meaning the texture/cream will allow powdered eyeshadows to have something to hold on to...2 to improve the pigmentation/colors of your shadows meaning if you got a shadow that is a bit sheer, this will help to make it show up more vibrantly...3 primer it will prime the eye esp Painterly in particular, it acts as a concealer like base that erases hyper pigmentation on your eyelids or any veins that show thru, it basically erases any thing you dont want to show thru on your eyelids....4 it will help with the longevity of any shadow.. meaning it acts as a barrier to any oil production that will happen on your lid that will cause creasing (your eyeshadows breakdown w/ oil production esp in ur crease area) so this will help create a barrier so that the oil will not melt off your shadows into a mess meaning your shadows will stay put longer & also look alot better by the end of the day, like when you first applied ur eye makeup..
Painterly is a cool toned pale skin tone color w/ a slight pinkish undertone.. its def meant for cool toned skin (if you are warm or nuetral toned, you may want to pick up Soft Ochre instead which does the same work but is more of a yellow or warm undertone) I love Painterly for all the reasons i mentioned above..
Painterly has helped with all my drugstore/cheaper shadows look amazing and stay for a really long time.. i tried this one particular shadow i bought that would never show up & Painterly helped it actually be able to be seen..
When applying this to your eyes, USE A VERY THIN LAYER..its easier to build up then to take it away.. i find the thinnest layer to be actually the best w/ this type of product. if you put too much on, you will know meaning your shadows will look clumpy & unnatural so make sure to blend out the pp well.. I love this paintpot & it was def worth the investment.. it can be used everyday & sometimes i even put another cream shadow (like a NYX JP) & still havent experienced any creasing.
I love the packaging. Sleek & clean & pretty.. Its a nice thicker glass jar..Mac is on the lid & the label of the product is on the bottom of jar..Def the standard MAC black twist on lid packaging. i havent noticed any problems w/ getting the lid on & off but always make sure to check that you have properly closed the PP otherwise it will make it dry up quicker.. ive only had mine for a few months & havent even made a dent in the big jar.. imnot sure how many grams of product, ill update after i check but i know it will last me a few years maybe.. i made sure to read reviews on here b4 buying it to see how long they last for bc as with all cream products they will eventually dry up but most say that you get a year or more soo.. i def suggest these to anyone who got the $.. trust me im a drugstore makeup only girl but i knew this would def be worth it since it would save me $ in the end with havin to blow thru $ on products that dont work so.. i dont ever want to be without this again in my makeup life so if i ever would get thru it or if it dries up so bad that i cant use it (bc i will use it til i really cant) id def save up & repurchase over and over! def is all its talked up to be!

LOVE PAINTERLY! it makes me want all the PP's- (ahh... in my dream rich world)

on 8/26/2011 6:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

AH!!!! most amazing MAC product in the world!!! this can be an eyeshadow base, primer, or a cream/matte eyeshadow! i have the MAC paint pot in "painterly" and "quite natural". i use "painterly" mostly as an eyeshadow primer and it DOES NOT crease at all!!! it last all day! i cant stress enough about how great this product is. its $17.50, which is somewhat pricey, but it is so worth it! you dont need to much to apply onto your eyelid so the product will last you a long time...like a year or two, depending on how much you use it. buy it! its so worth it.

on 8/20/2011 11:02:00 PM

A great base color and it hold my eyeshadow on well. Though I don't seem to reach for it as much as my primer potion.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I can't lie, having heard so much about the lasting wear of Paint Pots; Painterly skipped my attention completely and I brought Bare Study instead as I was more accustomed to using yellow based products over pink based. I think I made a big mistake and after finding out that Painterly is used by non other than Kim Kardashian... I quickly returned to MAC to buy it.
Although it's quite pink-ish, in comparison to say Bare Study or Ochre, once applied on my eye lids (over my foundation) it is actually quite a neutral, matte colour and just what you need from an everday eye shadow base. Only a small amount is needed and it seems like this Pot will last me years!
On it's own it doesn't hold my eyeshadow too well. I find it works best if I dust my MAC blot powder over the top and then apply my eyeshadow. But overall, its smooth, creamlike texture makes it an easy product to apply and the colour (which I think would be suitable for all skintones) brightens my complexion - as a result this Pot and now forms part of my everday make up routine. Thank you MAC... and Kim!

Top Rated MAC Products