September 1, 2014 | 1038 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 4:52:00 PM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I loved the texture of this, opaque, creamy and not too dry like Soft Ochre. Unfortunately, on my eyelids, it is pink. I have NC20 skin, my lids are darker, maybe NC25-30. When I put this stuff on, it turns my eyelid a coral pink colour. It's not just a barely there pink, it's a highly visible pink tone. When I put on eyeshadows, it alters the colour of my eyeshadow, making them appear much more warmer than I would like them to be. Soft Ochre fits me so much better, unfortunately it does have the issue of being dry and flaky looking on lids. I usually wear my paint pots after my TFSI, and I use them more like a paint for blanking out the colour of my lids, not as eyeshadow primers. But on top of TFSI, they look lovely all day, and my eyeshadows stay put. I recommend them, but for some reason Painterly did not work for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/21/2011 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Serelinia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all, I'd like to say that I have four MAC paint pots: Rubenesque, Bare Study, Fresco Rose and Painterly. Rubenesque and Fresco Rose were dry and cakey right out of the packaging. I'm assuming that there was something wrong with them, for Bare Study and Painterly are very, very creamy. I suggest asking for a worker at MAC to test the creaminess of a paint pot before you buy it to prevent purchasing one like my unsatisfactory paint pots.

With that out of the way, let me say that I have very thin eyelids. They are a bit red and the veins are highly visible--but they're not oily at all whatsoever. Painterly makes the veins, which are usually easily perceived, invisible. The result is a flawless matte canvas that matches perfectly with my skin tone. It isn't cakey, nor does it seem obvious that I'm wearing makeup. As far as creasing goes, due to my lack of oily skin creasing is never much of a problem regardless of the product that I'm using. That said, I do not crease with Painterly.

I cannot adequately describe to any of you how much I recommend this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 11:15:00 PM More reviews by jaimebaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this! I even like it better than urban decay primer potion. A must have!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by sammycansing01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I finally got my first paint pot in Painterly and I love it! It has a nice, creamy texture to it and I use it as my primer/eyeshadow base. It's almost my skin tone color which is NC20 but that's okay because it doesn't matter. I like the packaging and it can be a little over expensive but I'm fine with that. I hope that they come up with a bigger paint pot collection because basically there are only skin-type colors for paint pots.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:51:00 AM More reviews by carat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really like this product. Yes, it is expensive, but it I also use it as a primer. I tend to justify primers and their costs. You might not wear the same particular eyeshadows every single day, but I wear this every time I wear eye makeup.

I found it really made my eyeshadow colours pop. It made me want to branch out and try the other shades they have (Rubanesque, etc.)

I found it worked really well with MAC shadows, but it didn't work well with my Maybelline or Wet 'n Wild eyeshadows. I didn't have any other high end eyeshadows in my collection.

Where I live in Canada the weather ranges from very hot and humid to very cold and dry and my eye makeup lasted throughout.

The packaging is great, the glass container fits in your makeup bag or purse easily and you can get to all of the product. It lasted a long time-- I bought it a year ago and only recently noticed a change in quality and consistency and didn't get anywhere near the bottom of the jar. It began to dry out and become cakey. I'm not sure what the shelf life of this product should be, but I don't share products and do routine "smell checks" to see if it's gone off.

I switched to TFSI just to give it a try and was in Sephora for something else anyway, but I would go back to MAC and purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2011 1:36:00 AM More reviews by SandieJackson

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this! I never really needed to use an eye primer but decided to try this on my NW15 skin and i love how it makes my eyeshadows pop way more than i thought possible! Will probably be using this for the rest of my life, i also the love glass packaging!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/1/2011 3:51:00 AM More reviews by Scarlet1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the first primer/eyeshadow product I have ever bought so I don't have much to compare it to. I seem to use it everyday and it provides a nice canvas to put other shades on. The packaging is great and you get a lot of product. Will last for a long time. I would like to try some of the other colors like Folie and Groundwork and use them for eyeshadow over this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2011 5:11:00 PM More reviews by totoro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't think this is a bad product, it's just not for me. MAC describes it as a very pigmented cream shadow that dries to a "vibrant" finish. I love the idea of cream shadows that dry once applied. I've used--and loved Clinique's two formulas, touch-tint and touch-base; I've also had reasonably good luck with Benefit's creaseless cream shadows. One thing that's hard to find, however, is a matte nude colored version of those products that I can wear. Enter, MAC Paint Pot in Painterly. In theory, it fit the bill. The M.A. at Saks put it on me, and I thought it looked okay; yet I had misgivings about buying it without first doing a "test drive" outside. Misgiving: 0. . . Impulsive Urge to Buy: 2. Alas, I left the store with two paint pots, one in Painterly and the other in Bare Study (which I actually like better than Painterly). The Saks here in Austin has a return policy that is less than friendly (literally), so I never returned Painterly despite the fact that it just doesn't serve any function for me and so it serves a life sentence among my other makeup outcasts without being used. The reasons I don't really like it: I find the texture too thick, and the color is too dark for me to wear as a nude natural shadow. The effect on me is a sort of thick muddy appearance. If I try to wear it as a base, and layer shadows over it, they end up looking thick and cakey, and the paint pot underneath changes the color of my shadows. But don't let my review dissuade you; a lot of people apparently love this. The color would be a perfect nude "no makeup" look for those in the middle skin-tone range (not extremely pale or dark), Application is also key; it must be applied very sparingly and blended well with a brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/30/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by honeylustre

I use Painterly on pretty much a daily basis to cover the veins on my eyelids. It works well for that, but I still have to use primer under it or it will crease within an hour. I have seen so many people use it AS a primer, and it just doesn't work for me in that respect. With primer under it, it lasts a few hours, with primer under and shadow over, basically all day. But I wish I didn't have to go through those steps to get it t last. So people with oily lids will probably not be able to use this on its own. A great alternative, which lasts about 6 hours on me with no primer, shadow, or creasing are MUFE Aqua Creams! Those are great.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2011 10:51:00 PM More reviews by arleanxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My friend that works at Mac got me this when I told her I needed an eyeshadow primer. I use it only when I absolutely need it because I'm latina with a pinkish undertone and this color sorta makes me feel like my eyelids feel and look ashy lol but it does hold the colors