December 18, 2014 | 1526 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by dreanicoley

This is my first paint pot and so far I think its fabulous. So smooth and creamy but has staying power and creates a perfect canvass. I can see why people say it depends on skin tone and color, but I'm nc30 and its perfect. Price point isn't bad considering u get so friggin much product and u only use a minimal amount. I love urban decay primer but I have very oily lids so I use udpp to prime and this as a blank canvass.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

One of my favourite Youtube guru Michele1218 use Painterly in one of her eye makeup tutorials that I really love, and I hear a lot of other mentioning it as well, soo instantly I knew this was one product I really needed to get.
I HATE IT! The formulation is really thick and dry, I swear you could use this as a concealer if you wanted to. It creases, hard to blend/spread. I know Michele1218 uses this as a base coat or a primer for her eye makeup, but for me, that just didn't happened, my eyeshadow doesn't stay on as well, and doesn't look as vibrant as I would like, and I blame that on the dry formula.
Despite buying this in Duty Free at Singapore Changi Airport, it was still quiet expensive, just another disappointment from MAC.
I hate to write something negative on a product that everyone loves, but I was geniunely disappointed in it. even wearing it as an eyeshadow on it own it still looked horrible, it made me look like I've got swollen eyes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2011 5:59:00 PM More reviews by Channingx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this product, it's become a staple in my make-up bag. It's multi-functional as both an eye shadow and an eye primer. I think the fact you can use it as an eye shadow gives it one up on UDPP.

As a primer it's worked brilliantly, no creasing or fading. Plus I feel like it gives more of a base to my shadows so they are more vibrant.

As a shadow it's a light wash of beige which looks good for a casual day look with some black liner.

At the moment I have both Mac Paint Pot and UDPP, but when it's comes down to having to repurchase a primer I'll be going for MAC. It works the same as UDPP but it has the added bonus of being a shadow as well, plus they're pretty much around the same price.

I'll definitely buy Painterly again and will be looking closely at MAC Paint Pots in the future. x

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by abbieabbieabbie16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Price:
-$17 (in my opinion, that's really expensive)

Colour:
-It looks to be a really pretty nude in the jar, but when I applied it to my lids, it looked very red-toned && almost muddy. NOTE that when I applied this to my sister's eyelids (she is paler than me), it looked nice! So the colour will work sometimes, depending on your skin tone.

Texture:
-The texture is sticky to apply, && it stays sticky (it lessens a bit throughout the day, but not a lot)

Does it do the job?
-This creases a lot! I hadn't had any problems with my shadows creasing before (shadows I use are NYX && UD), but after only about 4 hours, they had creased with this underneath.

Packaging:
-I think the packaging feels sturdy && high quality. It has a glass jar with a twist top.
-When you near the end of the product, the jar packaging is inconvenient because it kind of cakes up against the sides && is hard to reach.

Other:
-I have never applied this with a brush, but to apply with your fingers, you have to apply a lot of pressure to your lids && the sticky formula causes you to pull on your lids.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/25/2011 2:32:00 AM More reviews by RussetBrunette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to like this, it was a nice shade but unfortunately it creased only after a few hours :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 2:05:00 PM More reviews by Majuriel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I agree that this is a must have. I use it as a e/s base and my shadow lasts all day, no creasing, no color change. I've tried so many shadow bases and none even come close to this, its perfect......MAC please don't ever d/c this!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 12:29:00 PM More reviews by lanolin305

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best base I've had! It works magic, the eyeshadow stays on for hours and doesn't crease when I use this. I can wear it alone as well when I'm not in the mood to add color! Must have!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 11:56:00 AM More reviews by Spoan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is as essential to me as my foundation and concealer. I apply it over the entire eyelid, up to the brow. My shadows go on smooth and blend better, and gives the pigment staying power. A must have.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2011 10:58:00 AM More reviews by kalosa82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Painterly is a nice color and base to even out my eyelids. I certainly can't use this alone tho. I have to wear a primer otherwise it will crease after a few hours. My eyelids can get oily, but not overly crazy. Maybe it creases on me because of the humidity here? Anyway, it's a nice addition to my makeup collection and really like this stuff. Just sucks I can't use it without primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by ladolcediva

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG primer!!!!!