January 28, 2015 | 1511 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 9:21:00 PM More reviews by dmcgeo1

I really like this product. It evens out the color on my lids and helps eyeshadows last. I don't have oily eyelids so I don't have problems with this creasing.
I prefer this over UD, though I haven't tried UD in Eden.
I also like to use this under my eyes or to cover pimples.
Overall, I would buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 7:23:00 PM More reviews by littlegem

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I've been using this product for about 3 months now. I love love love it! I use as a primer for shadows and also as just a stand alone lid colour for when I'm working and need a minimal make up look (I'm a midwife). It has a light creamy consistency, dries Matt, rarely creases and evens out my pigmented lids. Makes any shadow colour truer. Would and do recommend to anyone

rated 1 of 5 on 5/22/2011 7:16:00 PM More reviews by UrbanxGoddess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

As a "collector" of paintpots I have to say this left me EXTREMELY disappointed. While I do have very oily lids I never have any other of my paintpots crease the way this does (except for the super glittery ones for last fall's Cham-pale collection). I really wanted to love it but.. this was way off the mark for me. I picked up Painterly after my Urban Decay Primer Potion started running low and have since ended up handing it off to a girlfriend of mine. Guess I will be going back to Sephora for another Primer Potion. This just doesn't really hold up well for oilier lids. Sorry.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 2:06:00 PM More reviews by petrojulia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This has been my hg product for 4 months and I absolutely love it! My upper lids have very visible blueish veins, so clear primers don't work for me. Actually, I mainly use Painterly to give my upper lids a more even color. And it does that! It's just a plus that it works as a primer.
The texture is very good, dries quickly but not too quickly. I sometimes even use it as a concealer for my undereye circles. If MAC discontinued it, I'd start a petition I swear.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2011 2:24:00 PM More reviews by bambigirl0512

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am loving this paint pot. MAC really needs to work on making these in more shades. It can be used as a primer, or on it's own, I am NW 15/20 and this almost blends with my skin color. It just gives me a finished look. I also use it as a primer on the rare occasions when I actually use eyeshadow, and this helps the color stay in place. It applies creamy, and dries to a nice powdery finish.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 7:33:00 PM More reviews by lolomarie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I can't believe I hesitated so long to purchase this product! Spending $16.50 or so on this product didn't really seem to worth it to me at first, but now, I am SO glad I bought this product!
Pros: It evens out the skin tone on eyelid, MAKES SHADOWS LAST ALL DAY, packaging is cute :)
Cons: Price

This product is overall amazing and this was my first paint pot, and I definatley would like to get more! This product helps your shadows stay on longer, even if you have oily lids like me! I just use either my Elf primer or my UDPP and the paint pot on top of it and it lasts all day! Painterly is a must to your makeup collection!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2011 2:37:00 PM More reviews by dreanicoley

This is my first paint pot and so far I think its fabulous. So smooth and creamy but has staying power and creates a perfect canvass. I can see why people say it depends on skin tone and color, but I'm nc30 and its perfect. Price point isn't bad considering u get so friggin much product and u only use a minimal amount. I love urban decay primer but I have very oily lids so I use udpp to prime and this as a blank canvass.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

One of my favourite Youtube guru Michele1218 use Painterly in one of her eye makeup tutorials that I really love, and I hear a lot of other mentioning it as well, soo instantly I knew this was one product I really needed to get.
I HATE IT! The formulation is really thick and dry, I swear you could use this as a concealer if you wanted to. It creases, hard to blend/spread. I know Michele1218 uses this as a base coat or a primer for her eye makeup, but for me, that just didn't happened, my eyeshadow doesn't stay on as well, and doesn't look as vibrant as I would like, and I blame that on the dry formula.
Despite buying this in Duty Free at Singapore Changi Airport, it was still quiet expensive, just another disappointment from MAC.
I hate to write something negative on a product that everyone loves, but I was geniunely disappointed in it. even wearing it as an eyeshadow on it own it still looked horrible, it made me look like I've got swollen eyes.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2011 5:59:00 PM More reviews by Channingx

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this product, it's become a staple in my make-up bag. It's multi-functional as both an eye shadow and an eye primer. I think the fact you can use it as an eye shadow gives it one up on UDPP.

As a primer it's worked brilliantly, no creasing or fading. Plus I feel like it gives more of a base to my shadows so they are more vibrant.

As a shadow it's a light wash of beige which looks good for a casual day look with some black liner.

At the moment I have both Mac Paint Pot and UDPP, but when it's comes down to having to repurchase a primer I'll be going for MAC. It works the same as UDPP but it has the added bonus of being a shadow as well, plus they're pretty much around the same price.

I'll definitely buy Painterly again and will be looking closely at MAC Paint Pots in the future. x

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2011 3:53:00 PM More reviews by abbieabbieabbie16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Price:
-$17 (in my opinion, that's really expensive)

Colour:
-It looks to be a really pretty nude in the jar, but when I applied it to my lids, it looked very red-toned && almost muddy. NOTE that when I applied this to my sister's eyelids (she is paler than me), it looked nice! So the colour will work sometimes, depending on your skin tone.

Texture:
-The texture is sticky to apply, && it stays sticky (it lessens a bit throughout the day, but not a lot)

Does it do the job?
-This creases a lot! I hadn't had any problems with my shadows creasing before (shadows I use are NYX && UD), but after only about 4 hours, they had creased with this underneath.

Packaging:
-I think the packaging feels sturdy && high quality. It has a glass jar with a twist top.
-When you near the end of the product, the jar packaging is inconvenient because it kind of cakes up against the sides && is hard to reach.

Other:
-I have never applied this with a brush, but to apply with your fingers, you have to apply a lot of pressure to your lids && the sticky formula causes you to pull on your lids.