August 1, 2014 | 893 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by CherryKissesXoXoXo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really love coconut oil as a masque before shampooing. I just leave it on for at least 15 minutes and then wash my hair as I normally would. It keeps my hair healthy soft and shiney. It smells sooo good too, olive oil works just as good but the coconut scent is such a treat to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Sharyg1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I kept looking at reviews about the benefits of Virgin Organic coconut oil for skin and hair. It sounded pretty good and had it in the back of my mind to give it a try, but never really did. After all, how great could it be? I tried olive oil and it just left me with heavy hair. OMG!!! I didn't know what I was missing!!! Thank you Zerp, it was actually your review that made me get it. When you said it makes you hair thicker, I said "I have to get that stuff".

I got mine from Puritan Pride and got 2 16oz tubs for $25. I had a 15% off coupon plus free shipping. So it was a steal. But since I want to start taking it internally as well, I want to try a brand that comes in the glass jars next time. So when I run out of these, I'm getting tropical traditions. It is supposed to be the best and most natural. I told my sister about them when telling her about how great this oil was. She ordered from them, and she loves it!!! She's now hoocked on Virgin coconut oil as well. Oh and tropical traditions has a page explaining why there is no such thing as Extra virgin coconut oil. So take a look.

Ok, so I have 3b hair wich I seriously damaged. Not only did I overprocesed it, but I finished killing it by using a flat iron everyday. I moved to the caribean, and hair products down here are twice, sometimes 3 times as much as in the states, and not as easy to get. No online ordering etc. So I stopped doing my protein treatments and deep conditioners. Oh boy did I pay the price. My hair turned into this stiff, dry, weak, brittle, dull, thin mess. It lost all elasticity. It got so thin, I could see my scalp when standing under a light and looking in the mirror. It looked as if I had lost half my hair. Needless to say, I WAS FREAKING OUT! So I stopped using any chemicals in my hair, and stoped flat ironing for 2 years. My hair thickened up a bit. But it was still stiff, and straight (not in a good way, like straw). It was still dry, dull, weak and brittle. I couldn't understand. This was virgin hair now. I only blow dried once a week, and no flat iron. And still my hair had no elasticity. It would break easly. And if left to air dry, it would be this stiff mess with hardly any curl to it. So I knew there was major damage and protein loss.

So I decided to do some major damage control. Among the products I got I got Salerm Energy hair regenerator vials. I reviewed those separately, so I won't go into detail here. But get them, they are nothing short of amazing. They saved my hair. But it was still not what I wanted. Then comes in the coconut oil. OMG!!! To think the thousands of dollars spent throught the years on repair masks and other hair products, to ge the results this gave me, makes me wanna screeeeeam!

This turned my hair into this beautiful, soft, bouncy, frizzless, shiny THICK mane. I keep looking in the mirror, and can't stop touching it. I just can't believe it. And it stays straight, even in high humidity. And this is my virgin hair!!! I'm I dreaming? I'm gonna post some pictures when I get a chance, because a picture is worth a thousand words. So you can see what I'm talking about. I'm also using it on my skin (body, not face. I use jojoba oil for my oily sensitive skin and it works great) and my skin is so soft and beautiful. It is supposed to reduce the apearance of cellulite which I have some. But haven't been using it long enough to coment on that. But will keep using and will update.

Now this is what I do for my hair. I apply the oil to dry hair. Because hair is like a sponge. If you wet your hair first, it will become full of water and less oil will be absorbed. Coconut oil is the only oil that is actualy absorbed by the hair, and naturaly repairs it!!!. So I saturate my dry hair with it and put a plastic shower cap or a plastic bag on for at least an hour. If I'm doing other stuff I'll leave it in longer, but don't think is necessary. 30 minutes to an hour should do it. I then wash my hair really good with my Peter Lamas sulfate Free shampoo, wich I love. When I get it all out, I apply my conditioner as usual. Rinse it out, and have my stylist put in a vial of Salerm Energy hair regenerator and a little Salerm 21 techniques B5 leave in and blow dry hair straight. It leaves me with hair comercial locks! Super soft. Like silk. Shiny, bouncy, volumized, healthy, thick hair. And my ends!!! It's like I have new ones.

Oh, and I tried it for shaving as one reviewer below recomended. OMG, I will never shave with anything else again. The blade just glides through. No burn, no nicks and your skin feels like butter afterwards. How did I live without this all this time!!! Glad I didn't spend all that money on the Macadamia Nut stuff.

If I'm doing my hair at home, I just put a few drops of jojoba oil in my hair after rinsing out the conditioner, tie it into a pony tail and let it air dry. I'll even sleep on it over night sometimes. I then take out the pony tail, apply some Redken Heat Glide, divide my hair into sections, and straighten out with my In-styler. Its takes me about 15 minutes to do my whole head. And OMG, my hair looks amazing. Not as amazing as when I have my stylist do it, but still amazing shiny and beautiful. And Thick!!! I can no longer see my scalp, and I'm only on my 5th vial of Salerm and second use of the coconut oil. I will have this stuff forever!!! If you're thinking about it, don't. Just get it!!!

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2012 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use Nutiva extra virgin raw coconut oil from GNC. Costs me about $10 for a decent sized jar. Anyway, I couldn't live without this miracle product! I was afraid to use it for sooooo long, thinking I would break out horribly. I couldn't have been more wrong. This stuff is the BEST for blemishes. If I rub a little bit into a spot that's emerging, it's literally gone or completely surfaced by the next day. It even works on the really sore spots that feel like they could turn into painful cysts. Nothing has ever done that for me before! I also use it as an all-over body moisturizer, a leave-in hair conditioner (literally, just a speck) and it's one of the main ingredients in my awesome homemade deodorant. Besides using it as a beauty treatment, it's delicious! I like to mix it with a bit of raw cacao and put it on a rice cake. Yummy. It's also great in sauteed veggies. The possibilities are endless with this amazing oil. Do yourself a favor and GET SOME!
EDIT: 3/12/12
I'd been using this as a spot treatment for a long time and was getting kind of tired of paying $25 for my normal moisturizer that was just "ok". So, I decided to start using this as a facial moisturizer, hoping and praying that I didn't get some of the horrific side-effects that others have mentioned. To my delight, coconut oil has been my saviour! It is absolutely PERFECT as both a daytime and nighttime moisturizer, providing just the right amount of moisture. My skin has been clearer than ever before since I began using this and I'm just so relieved that I finally tried it! I have to say one thing...When I first started using this, my skin developed these odd-looking, totally painless red spots (not bumps) around the t-zone for the first 2 days and then they disappeared without a trace. I thought that this initial occurrence might scare some people off, but just stick with it and they go completely away. This is an AMAZING multi-use product that I will NEVER be without!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2012 8:55:00 AM More reviews by jilltaylor

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This really is a miracle product. I've been using it for a couple of years as my nighttime moisturizer. Normally I get dry, flaky skin in the winter but since I started using this, it's been soft and smooth. I swear that it also cured my hormonal acne caused by new birth control. I never, ever get breakouts and I used to have constant breakouts but not since using this. It works perfect after getting out of the shower as an all over body moisturizer. I also put it on my (dry) hair when getting in the shower then shampoo it out. It leaves my hair incredibly soft and shiny and no need for a flat iron. It's also good for you if you eat it but for me the change in my skin on my face has been the biggest plus. You must buy this, its incredible!! (and delicious!). I buy the extra virgin kinda from swanson vitamins for around $6.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/7/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by emmanelson96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I thought this was going to be the 'IT' product for me when I spent tons of time researching, watching youtube videos and finally buying one. But after using it on my face a couple of nights, I started to break out. I never break out, maybe a few pimples here and there, and during that time of the month. I still have them and it has been over a month since I stopped using this. Also, I used to have a lip balm with a high dosage of coconut oil, and realized that this broke me out on the sides of my mouth. I also used this as a deep conditioning treatment on my hair but it made it very greasy and lifeless. I guess this product just isn't for me, but I am glad it is working wonders for others. What is a better alternative it jojoba oil. I use that product for everything.

7 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2012 4:01:00 AM More reviews by sremmers123

If you're using anything other than coconut oil to shave, STOP! This is by far thee best product. No razor burn, no in grown hairs. You won't have to worry about the water washing away your shaving cream, and it's moisturizing to boot. Four for you, coconut oil. You go, coconut oil!

38 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2011 11:27:00 PM More reviews by JuicyGirlx33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is solid at room temp., so melt before using. I like this as a deep conditioner for hair (leave on for a few hours and rinse with warm water before shampooing and conditioning as usual), cuticle oil, and makeup remover. I don't use it for my body, lips and hands because it's too thin to moisturize and doesn't get absorbed.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by karmabum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Had high hopes for this. Love the smell,price and "naturalness." Hate that it broke me out horribly. I used it on face and hair and had big pimples even on the back of my neck for my reward:/ Will use for hands and let husband try this out to see if it works for him. Sigh.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2011 8:19:00 AM More reviews by littlefangfang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What's not to like about coconut oil? It's multifunctional. It smells AMAZING! It moisturizes and nourishes you skin ( awesome makeup remover too) and hair wonderfully and you can also cook with it. It has so many health benefits. It'd be crazy not to have a jar in the house at all times.

...One of the victoria secret angels says she puts a spoonful of it on her salad everyday and that's her beauty secret... ( does it make you want to have a jar in the house even more haha)

UPDATE: I put a quarter size of coconut oil in my hair ( I have very thick and long hair) after the shower. It smells wonderful and my hair feels so soft and smooth. the coconut oil does what I expected out of Argan oil ( which failed my expectations, maybe it's better for the skin). I did read online that coconut oil is one of the few oils can actually penetrate into the hair instead of sitting on the top ( like Jojoba oil, to my Argan oil too). It's definitely worth trying, if you dont like it you can always cook with it. It's not nearly as expensive as other natural oils either.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 9:37:00 AM More reviews by lexijojohnson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought a large jar of Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin coconut oil the other day and have been using it ever since. I have used it on my face, nails/hands, feet, really anywhere that is dry. I have used it as a hair mask one night but can't really tell what that has done yet. One thing I will caution is that a little seems to go a long way. I've just been putting a little of the room temp (hard) coconut oil in my hands and rubbing together to break it down to the liquid oil, and apply where I need it. I haven't tried this yet on dry hair as a smoothing agent, but I look forward to doing so! My nails and cuticles already look and feel better, which says a lot because my cuticles are such a mess. I've been using this at night on my face, and I wake up with soft skin. This hasn't broken me out yet - fingers crossed that it will not! *EDIT: I've now been using this for a week and it is amazing how soft this is making my face! I'm so happy with this!*