September 19, 2014 | 1890 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 8:42:00 AM More reviews by PISALISA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ladies... Put down that Moroccan Oil! Put down that expensive conditioner! Put down that expensive serum!
Coconut oil will blow your mind! I have super damaged, thick hair and this stuff has literally made my hair softer and stronger than it has ever been!
First, drench your hair in the oil before shampooing. Let it soak in for about 20 minutes and then shampoo it twice. YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE ANY OTHER PRODUCT BEFORE BLOW DRYING YOUR HAIR! That's right! No argan oil or detanglers or serums! After you blow dry and flatiron (if desired) then simply take an amount of coconut oil equal to about the size of a pea and lightly smooth it onto your ends. AMAZING RESULTS! I'm so mad that I only just discovered this miracle product! It tastes yummy too!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by ChickenBear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was so excited to try this natural, cheap multi purpose oil after reading the glowing recs on MUA. I know from personal experience that coconut oil can have a very positive effect on the skin because for a while I was eating one heaping teaspoon a day. And my zits cleared up and my skin was glowing!
I have, however, been really dissapointed with it as a topical skin treatment.

I've tried it in my hair, as a shaving cream and a makeup remover. I was impressed with how easily my makeup came off after slathering this on. But a few minutes later I could have sworn that my skin felt a bit raw/tingly and that I could almost see red irritations on both cheeks. Still it's good to use in a pinch if you've got nothing else.

But the conditioner and the shaving 'cream' is where I really ran into problems.

Shaving with this stuff is awful. Unlike regular foam which just breaks down quickly, this stuff is really WAXY and it builds up on your skin AND in the blade. It's gross. And I didn't get a good shave with it even though the razor was pretty new.
Also because of the waxiness you have to soap up your legs about 50 times after shaving ...so they can feel normal again.

But I saved the best for last. I decided to put this on my hair IN the shower, as a conditioner. Then I rinsed it out, multiple times. Then I dried it. It was a greasy mess. Fine. I was going to bed anyways. Maybe in the morning after rinsing it out again, I'd have awesome lush locks?!

Nope. What I did get, for sleeping with a hair full of nut oil (don't look at me like that I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed!) was a terrible case of cystic bacne and front-ne for that matter. All the spots were exactly where my hair hits length wise. You do the math.

So now we know. Good to eat but bad, BAD things can happen when you slather this all over your body.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by katesloan

I started using coconut oil because it was recommended to me a lot when I was a member of an online haircare community. I would oil my hair's length liberally, a few hours before shampooing, wrap it in a hot towel, and then shampoo it out. It made my hair super soft and shiny.

After a while, I started using coconut oil as my face moisturizer. For this purpose, it is GREAT. It doesn't clog my pores, and it leaves my skin super soft and hydrated.

I usually wash my face at night, and then rub a pea-sized amount of coconut oil on my face, especially the drier spots. I can even use it around my eyes without irritation.

By the time I wake up in the morning, much of the oil has been absorbed, but if any excess remains, I can just wipe it off. It leaves my skin glowy and radiant.

Sometimes I stray, wanting to try out a more "glamorous" moisturizer, but I always go back to virgin coconut oil in the end!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by jumpingjack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Green

How much do I love coconut oil? I hadn't tried it til recently, but my hair was breaking thanks to too much straightening, and none of my usual masks were doing the trick. Really recommend this as both a hair mask (I melt it in my hands then put it on dry hair, pop on a plastic cap and a beanie hat for an hour, then wash it off with shampoo - two washes - and condition as normal) and for applying lightly on my cheeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Greidah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

For anyone suffering from dandruff or dry scalp this stuff is a godsend! I have very bad dandruff and have pretty much try everything: shampoos (reg and prescription), treatments, diet changes (cod liver oil = tres gross) and nothing really worked. Who would have thought the solution would cost me $8!
For me I apply this to my scalp at night. I apply pretty generously, going over problem spots at least twice. I then coat the ends of my hair. I cover with one of those towel wraps and leave it on overnight. I rinse it off in the morning. It takes two rinses to get it all out, try only one and you will have greasy hair. But this works! I only use it once a week and as of 3rd treatment NO FLAKES! I live in Canada and by the end of January my scalp is usually a mess but this morning NO FLAKES! Yep very excited. :)
It also works as a leave in conditioner. Warm a small amount on your hands to make it liquid and apply the oil to your ends. It is especially good on my long wavy hair as when it cools it provides mild hold on my waves.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by cuppajean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been reading the raves here and have tried this. I do love it for my skin. I question if it causes me some breakouts on my face, but it does make my skin extremely soft. It smooths out wrinkles and I love to use it for a couple of weeks prior to an event I want my skin to look radiant. It helps my makeup go on smoother too. I love it all over my body..it makes my skin so soft and smooth.

I did want to share this with those who may want to try it on their hair. I was using this in my hair and was very excited due to the reviews here. I did it for about 2-3 weeks. I would put it in my dry hair and then shampoo it out. I noticed some increased frizziness (which I thought was maybe due to using less products), and it was confirmed by my hairdresser that my hair needed a good cut. I have course, somewhat curly and frizzy hair. My hairdresser cut quite a bit off (I was letting it grow) after this trial. She told me with certain hair types this (Or EVOO) does not penetrate the shaft, but sits on it and does nothing. She did not equate my extra fizziness and split ends to this, but I wonder!

So, if you have course/dry hair just pay extra attention. My hair is now doing great with keratin.

If you are prone to skin breakouts take note. However, I do love how it works to soften my skin and plump it up. I think it fades some scarring from blemishes. But I am wondering if it clogs my pores. So, I am just using it and watching carefully. I soon want to ad it to my diet. Overall, great product, just monitor for the above.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by sheertiara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Once a week, I try to apply coconut oil to my hair and then wash it out. It deeply nourishes the hair and causes less fall out. The only problem I have is that coconut oil can get tricky to get out of hair and if you don't wash it out good, it will leave the hair really greasy. So shampoo twice and condition regularly. :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by 1uella

Tried it for the first time just now - nice shine to hair and no smell, which is a bonus to me. Needs melting with hot water on bottle first. Feels nice and light and is very moisturizing.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by CherryKissesXoXoXo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really love coconut oil as a masque before shampooing. I just leave it on for at least 15 minutes and then wash my hair as I normally would. It keeps my hair healthy soft and shiney. It smells sooo good too, olive oil works just as good but the coconut scent is such a treat to use.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2012 10:59:00 PM More reviews by Sharyg1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I kept looking at reviews about the benefits of Virgin Organic coconut oil for skin and hair. It sounded pretty good and had it in the back of my mind to give it a try, but never really did. After all, how great could it be? I tried olive oil and it just left me with heavy hair. OMG!!! I didn't know what I was missing!!! Thank you Zerp, it was actually your review that made me get it. When you said it makes you hair thicker, I said "I have to get that stuff".

I got mine from Puritan Pride and got 2 16oz tubs for $25. I had a 15% off coupon plus free shipping. So it was a steal. But since I want to start taking it internally as well, I want to try a brand that comes in the glass jars next time. So when I run out of these, I'm getting tropical traditions. It is supposed to be the best and most natural. I told my sister about them when telling her about how great this oil was. She ordered from them, and she loves it!!! She's now hoocked on Virgin coconut oil as well. Oh and tropical traditions has a page explaining why there is no such thing as Extra virgin coconut oil. So take a look.

Ok, so I have 3b hair wich I seriously damaged. Not only did I overprocesed it, but I finished killing it by using a flat iron everyday. I moved to the caribean, and hair products down here are twice, sometimes 3 times as much as in the states, and not as easy to get. No online ordering etc. So I stopped doing my protein treatments and deep conditioners. Oh boy did I pay the price. My hair turned into this stiff, dry, weak, brittle, dull, thin mess. It lost all elasticity. It got so thin, I could see my scalp when standing under a light and looking in the mirror. It looked as if I had lost half my hair. Needless to say, I WAS FREAKING OUT! So I stopped using any chemicals in my hair, and stoped flat ironing for 2 years. My hair thickened up a bit. But it was still stiff, and straight (not in a good way, like straw). It was still dry, dull, weak and brittle. I couldn't understand. This was virgin hair now. I only blow dried once a week, and no flat iron. And still my hair had no elasticity. It would break easly. And if left to air dry, it would be this stiff mess with hardly any curl to it. So I knew there was major damage and protein loss.

So I decided to do some major damage control. Among the products I got I got Salerm Energy hair regenerator vials. I reviewed those separately, so I won't go into detail here. But get them, they are nothing short of amazing. They saved my hair. But it was still not what I wanted. Then comes in the coconut oil. OMG!!! To think the thousands of dollars spent throught the years on repair masks and other hair products, to ge the results this gave me, makes me wanna screeeeeam!

This turned my hair into this beautiful, soft, bouncy, frizzless, shiny THICK mane. I keep looking in the mirror, and can't stop touching it. I just can't believe it. And it stays straight, even in high humidity. And this is my virgin hair!!! I'm I dreaming? I'm gonna post some pictures when I get a chance, because a picture is worth a thousand words. So you can see what I'm talking about. I'm also using it on my skin (body, not face. I use jojoba oil for my oily sensitive skin and it works great) and my skin is so soft and beautiful. It is supposed to reduce the apearance of cellulite which I have some. But haven't been using it long enough to coment on that. But will keep using and will update.

Now this is what I do for my hair. I apply the oil to dry hair. Because hair is like a sponge. If you wet your hair first, it will become full of water and less oil will be absorbed. Coconut oil is the only oil that is actualy absorbed by the hair, and naturaly repairs it!!!. So I saturate my dry hair with it and put a plastic shower cap or a plastic bag on for at least an hour. If I'm doing other stuff I'll leave it in longer, but don't think is necessary. 30 minutes to an hour should do it. I then wash my hair really good with my Peter Lamas sulfate Free shampoo, wich I love. When I get it all out, I apply my conditioner as usual. Rinse it out, and have my stylist put in a vial of Salerm Energy hair regenerator and a little Salerm 21 techniques B5 leave in and blow dry hair straight. It leaves me with hair comercial locks! Super soft. Like silk. Shiny, bouncy, volumized, healthy, thick hair. And my ends!!! It's like I have new ones.

Oh, and I tried it for shaving as one reviewer below recomended. OMG, I will never shave with anything else again. The blade just glides through. No burn, no nicks and your skin feels like butter afterwards. How did I live without this all this time!!! Glad I didn't spend all that money on the Macadamia Nut stuff.

If I'm doing my hair at home, I just put a few drops of jojoba oil in my hair after rinsing out the conditioner, tie it into a pony tail and let it air dry. I'll even sleep on it over night sometimes. I then take out the pony tail, apply some Redken Heat Glide, divide my hair into sections, and straighten out with my In-styler. Its takes me about 15 minutes to do my whole head. And OMG, my hair looks amazing. Not as amazing as when I have my stylist do it, but still amazing shiny and beautiful. And Thick!!! I can no longer see my scalp, and I'm only on my 5th vial of Salerm and second use of the coconut oil. I will have this stuff forever!!! If you're thinking about it, don't. Just get it!!!

16 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No