Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 3/31/2012 10:50:00 AM

I read a lot about Coconut oil before purchasing it. I bought a small container (very pricey) at my local health food store. It seemed ok until I purchased Nutiva from Amazon. Then I knew the health food store brand was not ok. Nutiva is virgin unrefined and smells like coconut!!! They have a deal where you buy two 54 oz jars for $50.36 (cost +tax and free ship). I am halfway through my second set! It is great for your body taking it internally but beware that it does have calories! My mistake of 4T per day resulted in weight gain! It is hard to take unless mixed into a food. I put it in cold yogurt and it mix it quickly before it hardens. It becomes crunchy like the chocolate topping for ice cream that sets up when it becomes cold.

This oil is addictive so beware, you will use a lot! I use it on my hair every week (keeps it soft and shiny and is the only oil that can actually penetrate the hair shaft) and my body/feet daily. I mix it with kosher salt and use as a scrub in the shower. Mix a couple drops with sugar for a lip exfoliator. Rub your feet at night and apply socks to make them soft and smooth.

I did use it on my face and it was wonderful until it caused blackheads and I stopped. Perhaps if you have dry skin it would be great but my skin is a little on the oily side and it clogged my pores. Up until then I loved it!

I can't say enough about this oil and have many of my friends using it now as well. Many switched after I told them about cooking oil and how it is made using hexane, the fact it is rancid when you purchase it and if that isn't enough to make you stop using it....it has color and perfume added to cover the rancid smell!! Coconut oil and olive oil are both good for you and should be the only ones in your house for health and beauty uses!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Where do I start to tell you about all the good things this does for my health and beauty? First of all....... ONLY virgin oil is to be used. The old stuff that you can get cheap.. super cheap is not good for you. I personally only get mine at Whole Foods. It's like 7 bucks for an 11oz. jar; and it lasts f-o-r-ever!

Benefits...... Moisturizing.... face, body, hair. As a pre-shampoo.... or a hair dressing pomade. Amazing on my eye lashes... as a conditioner.

Anti-fungal -- anti-microbial -- anti-inflamatory.... great for first aid, bug bites, blemishes, athletes feet... and better for you than petroleum jelly.

I use this on my dogs wind burned/ chapped lips. He loves it................ and it won't hurt him.

AMAZING! My best beauty find ever!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

It's amazing how something so ordinary and common as coconut oil can turn out to be that one thing your body really needs to look beautiful. Seriously, forget all the expensive hair treatments, lip treatments, and exfoliators. I paid $5.99 for 16 ounces worth of product that I can not only eat, but use for multiple beauty needs. Really now, what's better than that?

I use Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil primarily for my hair. I scoop out a generous amount of the flesh, and then proceed to heat it up in the microwave until it melts into oil. I make sure all of my hair (and my scalp, too! Coconut oil is great for dry scalps) is completely saturated. Then I put on a shower cap, blow dry it for some extra heat, and let my hair remain as such over night. On the next day, I shampoo the oil out and use a hair mask. The results are amazing. My hair is left feeling incredibly soft, from the roots to the ends. My waves are perfect ringlets. My hair is so shiny and practically frizz-free. Sadly, I do have to shampoo my hair two times to remove all of the grease, but that is a small price to pay when it comes to the awesome results I get.

The oil that's not used for my hair, I place on my lips. It's definitely the best lip treatment for cheap. I get kissable lips in an instant. This is the perfect base for lipstick.

It's been mentioned in other reviews that you can also use coconut oil as a scrub. I gotta say, that's true, too. Coconut oil naturally works to heal skin, so mixing it with sugar makes a gentle, yet powerful exfoliator that gets rid of all dead skin cells and works to hydrate new skin underneath. It can also be used as a simple moisturizer for really dry skin.

Whether you like to spend big bucks on high-end products or prefer to be on a lower budget, either way, know that you can't go wrong when using mother nature to look beautiful. :)

I use coconut oil to remove my eye makeup every night, and have been doing so for more than a year. I take a pea-sized amount (or smaller) and rub it over my eye, then take a washcloth and wet it with warm water, and wipe off the coconut oil. I wash my face afterwards with my regular cleanser. It removes EVERYTHING, including the waterproof hard-to-remove products. It has never broken me out, smells fantastic, and is so inexpensive because of how little you use. I also mix it with sugar and use it as a scrub for my hands, lips, and feet. It's amazing. I will never need to buy another makeup remover (except to use while travelling, as the jar of coconut oil I have is rather large, and can be a bit messy if it gets warm and melts). I've converted a friend and my sister, and they both love it too!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Love using this. I have a super-cheap option from Superdrug, I would buy a food grade version but I can't be bothered.

I use it on my hair, my face, my body....to moisturise, to remove make up - the possibilities are endless! I should keep a spoon upstairs though as I am always wrecking my nails getting it out of the tub.

on 3/28/2012 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Use this in my face packs. Use it every 2 days for my hair as a deep conditioner before I wash them. Works great as a body moisturizer. It has such a good smell and works amazing. I use it in my turmeric mask so that it doesn't stain!

on 3/28/2012 10:01:00 PM

I love EVCO...in my hair, my porridge, my smoothies...baking...curries. I use Nutiva and love it. For skin, I use this on dry hands to moisturize, or mix equal parts EVCO and sugar (about 1tsp each) and rub it around in my palms and hands for a minute before rinsing in warm water. Makes dry rough hands very silky and soft. I use this as a neck down, after shower moisturizer. I sadly do not tolerate this topically on my face. It left my acne worse than ever, and that took time to clear.

But, other than that, this is a staple in my kitchen and bathroom.

on 3/28/2012 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

This is my daily staple for skin and hair.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Finally jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon after hearing about its wonderful use as a scalp/hair treatment from this Ayurvedic practicing woman. The smell really surprised me... I expected a Hawaiian Tropics-like coconut smell but instead, it was really light and smelled like shredded coconuts. It absorbed really easily into my hair and didn't leave me greasy after I shampooed (I deep condition with it pre-poo but also may put a bit on as a balm after). If it's >74 degrees or so, it stays solid but melts easily between my hands. It also has a cooling sensation to it when I rub it into my scalp.

Because I have oily skin I don't use this on my face at all. If I slab on a ton of oil in my hair as a deep conditioner, I tie it up because the oil on the strands around my face will break me out.

on 3/24/2012 8:50:00 PM

I discovered raw organic coconut oil when my dog picked up a minor topical fungal infection and shared it with me. I read that coconut oil used topically has anti-fungal properties, so I decided to give it a go when Rx topical treatments weren't working as well as I'd hoped. I don't know if my own immune system kicked in, or if the coconut oil did the trick, but after only a week using coconut oil topically twice a day, the fungus wasn't among us any longer :) I continue to use it because it makes my skin velvety soft. As a pre-shampoo treatment once a week, it's inexpensive and effective against frizz. For cooking, I mix a little with olive oil, and since it's solid to 76 degrees F, I remove it from the jar with a clean spoon. Any tiny amount of coconut oil left on the spoon discreetly finds its way to my neck before the spoon goes in the sink. I wonder how many other ways this lovely oil can be used!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products