Clarisonic Mia

on 9/10/2012 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I feel like my review of the Mia is somewhat convoluted because I purchased it for my acne-prone skin with a dry/oily t-zone and in my search for information (hell, for reassurance to drop $100 on a face brush) it led to a radical skin care regimen overhaul. I got a prescription for retin-a and started using that a couple of weeks after I started the Mia, and I fixed my dry skin issue with a Calming Zinc bar (seborrheic dermatitis).
But, I had just purchased this brush! You bet that I was going to use it anyways, and I have, for the past 6 months.
I never tried the cleanser, so I cannot remark on that.
My Mia came with the sensitive brush head, and I still found it to be too stiff and harsh. So I switched to the Acne brush head right away. I do not have a lot of inflamed acne, mostly comedonal, but it will get red and angry if I pick at it. I found the Acne brush to be much more gentle on my skin. For the first week, I only used the Mia every third day. Initially, I got 5 cystic pimples on my forehead and 1 along my jaw. I am not prone to cystic acne, so I do believe this to be related to the Mia. I powered through and they went away faily quickly with minimal PIH. The one on my jaw was not so lucky however. I picked at that one badly, and then tried to avoid the wound with the brush. But I quickly gave up on that, and it was not painful to go over the scab with the brush. And although it looked really grotesque (!) after, it healed a lot faster than I think it would have had I not used the brush.
Since I am using so many harsh chemicals on my face, I only use the Mia every other night, to minimize over-exfoliation. My skin barrier was feeling pretty taut. I have been doing this for the past 4 months or so. I have only used it with non-foaming cleansers (Paula's choice - Skin Recovery, Moisture Boost and Resist (it feels heavenly with this one!) and then Glycolix Elite 10% AHA (I use it with the Mia for some oomph, and it works)). It should be noted that I wear very minimal make up and I do not like a squeaky clean feeling.
I like the brush, I feel pampered when I use it and like it does do a good job cleansing my face. I do not think it's essential to a skin care routine though. Since I own it, I will keep using it.
To the people that are concerned about spreading bacteria:
*The brush can be cleaned by soaking it in a diluted hydrogen peroxide
*Two brushes can be alternated to allow drying time between uses
*Make up brush cleaner can be sprayed on the brush heads before use
*Wash the brush with anti-bacterial soap directly before use
I am not personally stressed about it, but it seems to be a common issue. Brush heads can be purchased at Sephora, including the Acne one, which seems to be harder to find.

Another thing about the brush that I'm not sure has been stated, if you hold the brush head with the tips of your fingers on the outer rim of the brush (touching the bristles) and apply gentle pressure with the thumbs on the opposing side focusing on the center circle, that part will pop out leaving two separate pieces. You can take the circle middle part and snap it on to the Mia and use it as a smaller and more concentrated brush. To put it back together, line the outer ring and middle together and apply gentle pressure until you hear/feel a light snap.

Regarding price, it's an INVESTMENT. Money up front with long-term return.

on 9/10/2012 9:52:00 AM

I'm going to try and review this by saying things that i think people haven't already said as, before i bought mine i had a lot of questions that i couldn't find answers for in the reviews (although the reviews helped a lot with many of my queeries!)

So to start, I bought mine from SpaceNK, 2 months ago. My main concern is breakouts and acne scarring. Now i read about the purging phase, however my skin had cleared up totally prior to buying this and i convinced myself it wouldn't happen to me as i beleived my skin to be in great condition. I WAS WRONG! So wrong. I broke out a lot, i was devostated as i hadn't been breaking out in so long and it cost so much, even though i knew about the purging phase i was still crushed as, i looked ghastly. It lasted for about 2 weeks and it went away as quickly as it came.

My second question was, would this work with a cleansing balm? YES! I use the bobbi brown extra balm rinse and they go hand in hand for a lovely hydrating yet deep cleanse. The pores on my t zone have visibly shrunk and my breakouts are less frequent and my skin just feels much cleaner than before.

I use mine once a day, at night rather, in the shower so my pores are open. I'd recommend personally using this once a day or less if you have normal-dry skin, if oily then twice a day. I'd also recomment doing this at night rather than morning as exfoliating in the morning makes your skin more susceptible to the sun and the harmful rays which expose you to ageing risks as well as skin cancer in more severe cases, unless you use SPF daily which i know many people don't in the UK.

Overall, this has helped with my breakouts, its cleared my skin somewhat and shrank my pores, is it worth £120? if you have it to spend or can get it as a birthday or xmas gift then yes, if not and you're planning a big splurge i think you should consider it and do your research as everyone's skin is so different, but also be aware they have a 90 day returns policy if you dont see results :-) I'm glad i got mine cause it will last forever and it is a great tool to have! Good luck and i hope people find this somewhat helpful. x

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I've been using the Mia for a year now and my skin is improving, but I think other factors (homemade masks, heavy moisturizing) have helped clear my acne much more than Mia. The first six months showed no difference except that my skin wasn't torn up from the apricot scrubs I had been using. Using Mia was much gentler than those and my face felt much cleaner afterward. One strange thing about the Mia is my skin always feels painfully dry if I don't moisturize directly after using it. Oh, and also I never experienced a 'purging' period like others have mentioned but my face has always been covered in acne anyway. My skin is very dry, a little sensitive, and very acne-prone for those of you who want to compare.

If you love feeling clean, I'd recommend buying one but for clearing acne I didn't notice much of a difference.

on 9/6/2012 11:45:00 AM

I brought my green Mia2 (acne set) more than 6 months ago. I use it everyday at night time, mainly in the shower. I like it. However, I cannot say that it has improved my skin in relation to the acne. I don't have a lot of problem with acne, just a coin size area on my cheek that keeps poping out tiny spots. When I purchased the acne set, I thought it would help but the gel wash gave my face a horrible rush and completely dried out my skin. I hated that gel but that is not Claronic Mia 2's fault. So I had to stop using it for about 1.5 months.

Now about the clarisonics, the reason that I didn't give it 5 stars is I am not sure if it makes THAT much difference to my acne. however, 4 stars is well deserved in my opinion. it helps me to keep my face clean. really provides a fresh feeling. As I said, I use it in the shower my cleaning routin consists of using a face wash first and wash off make up and use a face cleaning bar to clear excess oil and treat the area that has acne problem then using clarisonic with the dermologica daily scrub. This is my favourite step of my cleaning, i can totally chill and let Clarisonic does the job.

Some beauty stores that I visited have told that once you use Clarisonic you don't need to use a lotion (i.e. step 2 in Clinique's 3 step system) I don't know how true that is, I feel I have a need to use a lotion to refresh the skin before apply for any cream.

Overall, it's an innovative product, has a lot of choices per brush size etc. I have only used the acne brush but I've heard the normal/regular one works better. It's easy to travel with. I love the design of the power charge. It does not cure my acne problem (even I have very mild problem) but does provide the clean finishing.

on 9/6/2012 11:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can't believe I haven't reviewed my beloved Mia!! I've been using it for almost a year and I gotta tell u.....this has really really made a huge difference in the way my skin looks and feels! I use this every night, usually for about a minute and a half (I have the original Mia so it shuts off automatically after 1 min so I just turn it back on and use it a little longer). I suffered through a very very bad breakout after I stopped using Proactiv (decided to stop using so any chemicals and go more natural) last summer and my skin looked absolutely HORRIBLE......cystic acne + picking= the worst skin of my life!! I battled through it because I felt that it was my skin going threw 'withdrawl'.... I decided to add this to my arsenal because I had so much scarring and the texture of my skin was so rough I thought this would speed up the exfoliation process. I'm really glad a stuck with it, it took almost a year but now my skin looks 200% better, my scars have almost completely faded, I do get breakouts during that 'special' time of the month but not cystic and as long as I don't pick they usually go away in a few days. Anyways this really gets my skin squeaky, like a deep clean that I can't see but I can feel, and it's gentle at the same time, as long as you u it correctly, no need to press hard just turn it on and buff in circular motions very gently! Also, I feel like my serum and moisturizer absorbs so much better after using this!! It's really an amazing tool and it really helped reduce the scarring and improve the texture of my skin (a long with good skin care products and a healthy lifestyle of course). I paid US $120 and if it broke and I had to buy another one I would, it is THAT great! BTW, I've dropped it a couple times (I keep it in the shower because that's where I use it) and there is not a scratch on it, so it's built exceptionally well, very good quality!

on 9/4/2012 7:38:00 AM

This is a review for the Mia 2 after 3 months of use. Will update if anything changes.
My skin: slightly sensitive, dehydrated, VERY clog prone, combination skin (oily t-zone, normal cheeks). I used to have terrible acne but Iíve gotten rid of that by changing my diet (cut out dairy, reduced sugar & added omega 3). My skin is pretty Ďthickí- it renews very quickly and never scars. It needs a lot of exfoliation to prevent clogged pores. The skin problems Iím still battling are all in my t-zone: oiliness, large pores, blackheads and sebaceous filaments.
The main reason I bought the clarisonic is because my skin needs daily exfoliation and the products I was using for that (BHA & AHA, muslin cloth) had some drawbacks. I love BHA and AHA - they got rid of many of my Ďclosedí clogged pores/whiteheads - but I canít use them daily. That thins out my skin too much (scars wonít heal) and it also causes a lot of flakiness, for which I then still need to manually exfoliate. The combination of chemical + manual exfoliation is too much. So I use BHA/AHA max. once in 2 weeks all over, though I use BHA more often as a spot treatment on clogged pores.
Purging: I was really afraid and a bit skeptical of this purging period a lot of people experienced and I thought it might be because of irritation. I thought only actives could cause purging and I know irritation can cause break-outs as well. So I started out by using it once a day instead of twice, just to be sure. My skin purged a little, but itís really not as bad as it sounds and it was not due to irritation. I know what irritation break-outs look like on me: flat, raised, red, unpoppable bumps (if I do try to pop them only a clear liquid comes out). All that happened since I started using the clarisonic was that a few existing smaller impurities (whiteheads, clogged pores) that wouldnít come to a head, now actually came to the surface as whiteheads. I could easily extract them, after which they were invisible. My skin never looked worse since I started using the clarisonic. So the purging was minor and only happened on areas where I had impurities prior to starting the clarisonic. It was very similar to the purging I experienced when I first started using BHA and AHA, which was also minor like this. The purging lasted for about 2 weeks.
After around 2 months I noticed my skin loved the clarisonic so much that I decided to try and use it twice a day. This was fine with my skin (which I didn't expect), no irritation. But after a month or so I didn't notice any improvement from just using once a day, so I went back to using it once a day. I can use it 2x a day but don't find it necessary so I don't. It's important that you don't press the clarisonic onto your skin though. That makes the sonic movements less effective and also more aggravating. I just place it onto my skin, no pressure, and make circular motions.
Results: when I used the clarisonic for the first time I didnít notice a massive difference like some people described. My skin was soft indeed, but itís also soft after using a muslin cloth. The difference to me was that it stayed soft for much longer. It was still soft by the next evening and that was new to me. It got softer and softer as the days progressed. Now I do feel that my skin is softer than it has ever been. I also do really feel like my products absorb better/faster because of this product.
As for my blackheads: it did not clear them overnight. The first couple of times I still noticed the blackheads sticking out of my pores after the shower as usual, but after a couple of days I noticed this getting less and less. They were still there and just as visible, it just felt like theyíd been decapitated (haha). The surface feels a lot smoother. The pores are just as big I suppose, but there is much less gunk in it so they are less apparent.
Overall, I notice my skin has become more clear as well. I just noticed that I had to wear less and less concealer on my face, up to a point I now only use it under my eyes.
Concluding I can say that his has made my skin softer than it has ever been, even compared to muslin cloth/exfoliating facewash/bha/aha, and most importantly: without any flakiness. It also makes my products absorb better.
So the clarisonic did what I bought it for. It replaced my other exfoliants and my skin is now softer than it has ever been - without flakiness! My make-up goes on much smoother and my skin glows. I only use BHA and AHA every once in a while now (and skip the clarisonic for a day if I do). I do still use BHA as my go to spot treatment, but there isnít much to spot treat anymore.
I just like to emphasize that the change didn't happen overnight for me. It was a very gradual process. So if you don't see results right away, give it some time.
In the end I am very happy with this purchase and I wonít go a day without it. If Iím traveling, this comes with me. I canít speak for any other skin types than my own, but I would recommend it if you have skin similar to mine. If I lost this I would repurchase it in a hearbeat.

on 9/1/2012 3:20:00 PM

The first time I used my Clarisonic I was kinda skeptical because I couldn't shake the gimmicky feeling I had about it, but then I looked in the mirror and actually said "wow" out loud. My face just looked so bright and pristine! I used to have problems with flakes and clogged pores, but not anymore. Products really do sink in better too. If I skip using my Mia a couple of days, I notice the difference in my skin's texture. I'd say if you're obsessed with skincare (like me! lol ) you should really go ahead and get this.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I have only been using this for the last 5 days, so I may update this review later. But since I saw results in such a short amount of time, I thought that should be known! My skin was dry, and I kept getting acne in certain areas of my face. It came up in February and it had not gone away after 7 months! I had it! I had read of the clarisonic before but always heard it was $200. I saw the Mia brush for only $97 on Amazon and thought that was a reasonable price (comparable to a Sonicare or Oral B electric toothbrush). I didn't think it would work as well as the reviews. I have had redness on my cheeks for 10 years or more, so I thought it was roscacia and would never go away. It is starting to disappear after just a few days. After using the brush for two days my skin became much more flaky on my cheeks and nose (normally I have a dry nose, but this made it more flaky). I had used it twice in one day per reviews, but if you have dry skin do not do this. I started using it once a day the last few days and my skin is now soft and redness is much less. The acne on the areas that was there for 7 months are feeling smooth and it just looks like slightly red dots. To me, that is awesome. I thought it would make pores on my forehead and around my nose smaller, but those appear to be more noticeable. As time goes on, I think those things will improve. I rated a four just based on the results of the redness disappearing, my acne going from bumpy and hard to soft and smooth, and from my makeup/moisturizer sinking into my face better than it ever has in the past. So far I am impressed, but I will update if there are any changes.

on 8/30/2012 3:55:00 PM

I really do hate to rain on everyone's parade but god, the clarisonic really just ruined my skin for the time being. I stopped using it a couple of days ago and I'm already seeing improvement.

For a bit of background information, I never had 'bad' skin. It was always pretty clear, maybe some dark residual acne marks from a brief period of cystic spots I had (thanks to a birth control pill I really didn't get a long with) and some visible pores. Recently I was even started to like how I looked without makeup!

Enter the Clarisonic. The first week of use I was in awe - such an amazing product, I said! And it was true, I glowed after I used it and it didn't seem all that rough and my skin was looking better than ever. However, after this week I began to get really deep, large spots - one would appear as the other one was dying down and there was just nothing I could do about them. I told myself this was just the 'purging' period, that it would be worth it, so I stuck with it for another month. While I don't get anymore large spots (fingers crossed) the general condition of my skin has really declined. I'm more oily, more red, and more dry (despite the fact I moisturize well and with an extremely good product) despite changing nothing about my skincare routine except for the addition of the Clarisonic.

Keep in mind, I wasn't overusing it. At first I did it the full minute, morning and night, and once the breakouts started I gradually scaled back until I was only using it about twenty seconds in the morning and twenty seconds at night (that's when the breakouts stopped) but once the condition of my skin failed to improve I just quit altogether.

Honestly, I know the Clairsonic is good for some people, but I would advise you that if you like your skin, DON'T try to improve upon a good thing just because the machine is new and expensive and kind of cool. I'd say only use it if you genuinely think that your skin NEEDS such deep cleansing. If it's just an interesting accessory you're trying out, don't bother.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I LOVE THE CLARISONIC ! I been using it for about 3 months now !! & its so amazing how it leaves your skin so soft !!! Takes off all my makeup, Clears your skin, & keeps away acne and blackheads. Only downfall about it , is the fact that it can dry out your skin. So make sure you moisturize after you use your Clarisonic. Another tip : when using the Clarisonic make sure you go over your skin gently, it can cause broken capillaries. Because the Clarisonic is a little bit rough. But Overall its GREAT ! I recommend this to anybody !!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools