Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation spf 15

3.4

ACTIVE Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 15% and Zinc Oxide 5% INACTIVE ingredients: Lauroyl Lysine, Silica, Calcium Silicate, Soil Minerals. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 2/23/2011 1:51:00 PM

I used BareMinerals in high school and stopped during college in pursuit of my HG product. I found many great mineral foundations out there but alas, my favorite was discontinued. I ended up back with BareMinerals after seeing this new Matte formulation and I am happy...not elated, but happy.

Background: I have combination skin which leans more oily during warm months that is sensitive to harsh ingredients (rash, itchiness, zits) and break out very easily. I use Cetaphil SPF 50 moisturizer in the winter and just plain oil-free SPF in the summer, followed by one pump-worth of Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation (0 Porcelain). I use a few light sweeps of BM to set my foundation and increase the opacity of my make up to hide the scars (red dots) on my face from older zits.

Pros:
- Much better packaging than the BM I remember! I can sift out as much as I'd like depending on if I am doing my whole face or just a few spots...and it travels well.
- This will stay matte on my face *only* if I use an oil-free primer first. The product isn't oil-controlling enough on its own. (Also a con) I tested this both with and without using the BB liquid foundation first and the conclusion was the same...I need primer w/ the BM.
- Color blends into my White-Out colored skin very well
- Does not irritate/break out my skin.
- I'll use the concealer brush to dot on a little extra over a blemish and this works great to hide the redness and stays put during the day

Cons:
- Need a primer first in order to keep matte
- Coverage is only so-so (maybe I just need a new brush, though) and using it w/o a little liquid foundation first is too sheer for me.
- Not that cheap, esp. since it's not sufficient on its own to be the only foundation in my cabinet
- Need to wait a few minutes for my skincare products to completely set before putting on

Conclusion: I like this product and while I am not head-over-heels for it, I haven't found anything better. I will continue to use this product but will try to find better deals for it when I run out. I would recommend this to someone with a normal skin type and likes a very natural finish and is willing to use separate products for concealment of blemishes.

UPDATE: I started using Jane Iredale Pure Pressed Base and will never use anything else again! I posted a review on the Jane Iredale product if you're still looking for your HG foundation!

on 2/15/2011 7:05:00 PM

i use this in golden medium & it works great on my combo skin!! i usually wear it over light foundation or just a bit of concealer. best powder ive found that manages to keep away the shine w/o looking dry or cakey! really natural finish & the color was great for my yellow toned skin. also hasnt made me breakout & i do have acne prone skin.

on 2/15/2011 1:52:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Not my cup of tea. The packaging is nice and sleek. It has a closeable sifter and the cap is big enough to fit a good sized brush on there. I'm just not a fan of how it oxidizes by mid day. I looked really orange and it didn't keep my skin matte. I still had an oily t-zone by mid day. I did break out from using this product but I don't blame the brand. There is an ingredient in most mineral makeup that causes me to breakout. I have sensitive skin. This is overpriced for what it is. On to the NEXT one.

on 2/13/2011 12:13:00 PM

Hives. Red, burning face. Swelling. All things you might experience using this product.

My skin is not particularly sensitive considering how fair I am, but this product gave me a severe allergic reaction within seconds of applying it to my face. It took hours for the redness and bumpiness to subside. I have used the original bare minerals for years and loved it so I thought I would try the matte version. I have never had such a severe allergic reaction to anything in my entire life. I was almost in tears with the pain and itching. My eyes were swelling.

In comparing the ingredients from the original and the matter versions, it appears that the main differences are in the inactive ingredients. The matte version has "Lauroyl lysine, silica, calcium silicate, and soil minerals." I don't which ingredient I am allergic to, but I know I have never heard of lauroyl lysine before.

In any event, buyer beware.

on 2/7/2011 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I LOVE this product. I used to use th Original Formula and HATED the Mica in the product, it gave my complexion a sparkling ashy look. I wear Golden Deep the same as the original formula but the Matte formula melts beautifully into my skin. And no ITCHING. I thought I was going crazy when I experienced itching with the Original formula but none with the Matte. Also this foundation goes well with my Mac Pro Long Wear Concealer, weather it's under or on top of the Bare Minerals Matte. I do not use any other foundation now and can still achieve a High Glam look with this foundation. All you need is the right BRUSHES, I only use my Mac 109 and Mac 188 Brush when applying my Bare Minerals Matte. They work wonders and gives me Flawless coverage every time.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Love! Stays matte...beautiful coverage. I think people who don't like BE maybe have not gotten the correct colors, brushes, or instruction. I have uneven skin tone, and I end up looking fabulous every day!

on 2/4/2011 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I actually really like this product. The matte is similar to the original formula, except the original has these shiny pigments in the powder. I use the fair and it matches my skin perfectly. I use the bare minerals primer and brushes with this foundation as well. After a while, my face does become oily like 3/4th of the day, but I just pat my face and reapply some mineral veil and it still looks really good. Now all of these powders are not for maximum coverage so if you are looking for something that is very concealing then this is not for you. They have also changed the packaging so inside there is this little twisty thing that keeps the powder from spilling everywhere inside the packaging.

on 2/2/2011 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a very average product. I don't love the appearance, I'm not wowed by the price, and it really doesn't do anything to mattify or control oil.
So why have I gone through 3 jars of this and own 3 different shades at a time? Because it is the ONLY powder foundation with no shimmer that is a decent color match for my skin and doesn't oxidize into some funny color. Also, I can mix together different shades and adjust based on my skin color at that time and based on how much blush or bronzed I plan to use.

I really want to find a better product, but for the time being I am stuck with this. To avoid a chalky finish, I always moisturize, prime, and then use setting mist. Also to avoid the completely matte, flat
look without making my face too "glowy", I use another finishing powder on top.

FYI my skin is light-medium with yellow undertones, very oily t-zone but blemish free and no wrinkles. No skincare concerns other than oiliness

on 1/24/2011 9:41:00 PM

I like their concept but I don't like the product. I have very oily skin at certain times of the year, and this makes my oily skin tight and look caked and dry. When I try to blot off some of the powder for a less made-up look, I lose the coverage that I want to cover up blemishes and scars. I do moisturize my skin in the morning, and I always use a primer, so that is not the issue. I just don't like this. I also hate how messy loose mineral makeup is. Sticking with Pur Minerals from now on!

on 1/24/2011 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

I really wanted this to work for me. I really dont like this product.
COLOR: I got the Matte medium tan, Im NC40 and felt that it was too red for my skin. It was not a good color match.

COVERAGE: It was a light to medium coverage, just didnt cover my redness in my skin and I had to keep going over the same spot several times. Due to this reason, it sunk into my pores made it more visible. I tried to spray some mist over it but it just made me more shinier. Its not waterproof.

WEARABILITY: My face felt dry, tight and itchy during the day. But when i look in the mirror I had breakthrough shine in less than 2 hours. I looked oily but my skin felt like it was cracking.

No thanks, even though this is "natural". perhaps I will stick with my "unnatural" makeup revlon colorstay.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Review/Comparison: BareMinerals vs. It Cosmetics Celebration Foundation Illumination by TheKatalicious17

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products