April 20, 2014 | 1893 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Matte Foundation spf 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2010 12:12:00 PM More reviews by PinkLily

Well, colour me surprised! I love this foundation! I did not like the original BE foundation - it was too sparkly for me for everyday usage. However, I love the matte version. No sparkles AND it has some of the ingredients from the nighttime RareMinerals treatment in it.

I've tried it with several types of brushes and haven't settled upon one method yet. (I loathe the brushes that come with the BE kits - they shed like crazy.) So far I've tried the Chanel powder brush, the Chanel travel kabuki brush, and the Prescriptives flat-top brush. All work well but the flat-top brush seems to give the most coverage. If you use a little bit at a time, you can build good coverage - just let the 1st layer sit for a few seconds before applying the 2nd layer, otherwise you're just applying one thick layer.

I haven't yet found the best colour for me, though. Medium is a tad too dark and Golden Fair is a tad too light. I'm using Golden Fair, though, because I can add colour to my face via blush/Warmth.

I'm waiting to see if the benefits from the RareMinerals complex really does work. I'm excited to see if it does!

All in all, wow - I'm impressed and I never thought I'd say that about BareMinerals because I did not like the original formula! continued >>

rated 1 of 5 on 8/29/2010 11:38:00 PM More reviews by xoCarmina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I've been using this for a while. I have extremely oily skin, and my mom asked me what I was using on my face because it looked horrible. I am naturally warm toned with a lot of yellow undertones, but my shade made me look even more yellow, like I had jaundice. Also, it went on cakey and didn't cover my acne scars. It made my skin dry and flakey. It also caused my skin to turn red and break out in cystic acne. It felt like I was wearing a mask, and made my face itchy and sore. This is a waste of $$$. Def pass on this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/25/2010 10:15:00 AM More reviews by Jolly13

Not happy with this one. Nothing special. I used to use the original BE foundation and my skin looked terrific--with this matte version, my face looks dull and flat. Going back to the original...
Edit: OK, Here's my solution: I mix the original and the Matte and get a really nice look. Not greasy, not dull, just right!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2010 1:05:00 AM More reviews by ameresh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I prefer the original BE, but this has been great, especially during the summer. It's a little darker than the original, and slightly less coverage, but great for oily/combination skin. Highly recommend it!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/23/2010 12:44:00 AM More reviews by laydeexsav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I have mixed opinions about this. I like the matte formula for my oily skin, but it doesn't cover my acne scars/blemishes as well as the original. This also doesn't break me out, but it also doesn't last the whole day. 2 hours of wearing this, and I'm already looking oily. I love the new packaging, but I'm not sure if I'd repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/22/2010 12:51:00 PM More reviews by eviebr99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I positively hate the regular BE foundation, so I find it highly ironic that I really, really like their matte foundation. I have oily, sensitive skin, and live in the very humid climate of south Louisiana. I've been using the BE matte for about two months now, which is ridiculous in itself, because I switch foundations a lot...but I keep coming back to this! I use sally hansen's natural beauty by carmindy primer underneath, and then this. It goes on really smoothly when I use primer (if I don't, not so much). It gives a light-to-medium coverage matte (but not so matte you look flat and dry) finish...I agree with some previous reviewers here that you can't get full coverage very easily from this. But I like my foundation to be semi-transparent most of the time, so I kind of like that. My skin looks so much more even toned when I'm wearing this.

Effect of pores: none, really (this is my major complaint with the reg. BE foundation--made them HUGE).
Matte-factor: My skin stays matte at least for a good 3-4 hours, which believe it or not is pretty good for this humid summer weather we're having.
Packaging/application method: The new container is better than the old ones since you can swivel the cap closed, but I still manage to get the stuff all over the counter. I also found that using Sephora's #55 professionnel air brush makes this go on sooo much better than the usual kabuki-style brush.

BOTTOM LINE: This matte foundation is a MAJOR improvement over the old BE stuff. I'll continue to use and will probably even repurchase!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2010 1:05:00 PM More reviews by kendra614

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just got the fair/medium powder. This is my first foundation of its kind and so far I'm really liking it. I'm sure I will try other ones like it but I do like it much more then the liquid ones. The powder just looks much more natural on me.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/20/2010 12:22:00 AM More reviews by Eishee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't know what it is with me and BE... we used to be so close, inseperable even. I used nothing but BE for about 5 years, then sudddenly one day it lost its "luster." So I ventured back into the land of liquid foundations and other mineral makeups and spent a small fortune trying to find the next great love of my life.
When I saw the Matte formulation while wandering around in Ulta, I knew I had to have it. I thought this would be the product to bring me back home to BE. The salesgirl at the BE counter put a little on me (though her technique was way off compared to my own) and I figured it was not covering like it should b/c of her light hand with the brush. So I bought it and took it home.
At first everything was fine- it seemed to streak a bit here in the hellish Alabama humidity, but spraypaint couldn't even stick in this weather, so I overlooked it. After about a week, it started looking a little chalky and uneven on me. So I stopped using it for a few days and tried again with no better results. Sigh.
It sat in my foundation drawer unused for a while untill the weather here really started heating up and the humidity here made the air so thick the weather man refered to the conditions outside as "air you wear" since it was so thick with humidity you felt like you were swimming in it. I decided to give it a try for setting my liquid foundation, which was starting to lose its will to survive after a few mins outside. EUREEKA! Its great to set my foundation, it offers a smooth matte finish and really helps stop the rest of my MU from slippping.

To make a long story short, I could not wear this alone and achieve the coverage and staying power I desire, but I found it works great over my liquid foundation to set it. I very seriously doubt I will repurchase though- 28 bucks is pretty steep for something that can not stand on its own.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/16/2010 3:05:00 PM More reviews by NikkiatMAC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a bitter sweet review for me. I've been on the hunt for a foundation that doesn't break my skin out, covers my redness and pores, and is natural (i.e. healthier, safer ingredients). I used this foundation for two weeks and this is what I found:
I got the occasional pimple from this, but I figure it was due to the fact that the foundation helped with skin cell turnover, so it might be similar to an initial breakout you get when you start exfoliating your skin. It did not do anything for my oily skin, however, when I did blot, the makeup stayed fresh and I never had to reapply throughout the day. It also did not get cakey as my skin got oilier throughout the day, which is great for summer when in addition to oil, skin can get sweaty.
I found the coverage to be so-so, at tops a natural medium, no full coverage what so ever. That being said, I did like how it looked, even though some redness still peeked through. As for the long term effect on my skin, I noticed that it was becoming less red overall, and blackheads that I've had forever, had started to vanish. My pores were also about half the size of when I stared using the foundation. I was pretty happy. However, I have stopped using this foundation. I found that while applying it I'd have to hold my breath because it disperses into the air so easily. You can actually see a little power cloud appear as you apply it. So, I googled the safety of mineral foundations and found that they can be dangerous to your lungs if the particle size is too small. ( I read that this foundation's particle size should be safe) Also, on the Cosmetic Safety Data website, this was a 7/10. So not quite the natural, safer product I was looking for. That being said, I am still tempted to try this again if any new information surfaces that proves these are safer than the typical foundations.
And, yes, I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, so please use your own discretion when you make decisions regrading products you use.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2010 6:06:00 AM More reviews by kaaaching

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

this foundation is the best foundation i have ever tryed it gives my skin such a natural finish you only need such a little amount but the thing is i still need to use a concealer to cover my toubled areas it doesnt really last long doesnt keep my face matte though it does match my skin well because of its yellow undertone it is a loose powder so it can be a little messy so you have to be a bit more carefull but the lock and twistmabob is a big help ooh and also if you sweat or you tear you wont get that light streak like you would get with liquid foundation