Smashbox Photo Finish Light

3.4

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Triethanolamine, Decyl Glucoside, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol, Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Oligopeptide-10

on 8/5/2008 9:11:00 PM

I've used this product daily for the past 3 weeks, and at this point, I would not purchase this product again. Basically, I just needed something to prep my skin for either powder or tinted moisturizer, and help control oil and keep me matte. This is average at the former and terrible at the latter. I have combo skin but b/c it's summer, my T-zone is particularly oily and when using this primer, I need to blot by mid-morning. I haven't had any adverse reactions to using Photo Finish Light, and like I said - it's decent for prepping skin for other face makeup. But there are too many primers out there - with higher ratings on MUA! - for me to repurchase. I bought the tiny sample tube at Sephora - yes, it's pricey considering the size- but I'll probably just use up my tube and move on.

on 7/31/2008 12:00:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

got the trial size in a swap,ive been dieing to try it. it seemed to work pretty good on the pores around my nose, but my chin still has some issues. i cant expect this stuff to fix every flaw, but all in all i was pleased w/ it and plan on getting more.

I'm on my second tube of this right now, actually being the first cosmetics product that I've ever bought a second tube after finishing the first one. Early this summer I've tried Shu Uemura foaming base, Model Co, clinique city block, laura mercier primer, NARS primer spf 50, the other smashbox primers(the transparent one which is the original one, the anti-aging one, the pink one, and the purple one) each on one side of my face. After all the comparisons and experiments I went back to smashbox photofinish light, because there were just very obvious difference on the size of my pores, the amount of oil and even the color of the foundation at the end of the day. I even asked my boyfriend, who is definetely have no knowledge on makeup, he said one side of my face is oilier and darker(not too obvious though), which turned out to be the sides where I tried the other primer on.
IF YOU HAVE DRY SKIN, SKIP THIS PRODUCT. My skin gets dry during the winter, this primer makes the foundation flake very badly when my skin is dry.

on 7/9/2008 8:50:00 AM

before I proceed with my review, let me clarify that I might just be the biggest oil slick on Makeupalley. Even in the dead of winters I have to use products for the oiliest of skins and even a hint of oil based moisturizer breaks me out. Even my dermatologist who must've seen the worst of the worst says I have the oiliest skin he's ever seen. So you can imagine my surprise and pleasure on discovering that a product potent enough to counter my level of oiliness is on the market. yesterday was the first time I used my smashbox light but going from the experience it'll be a lifelong romance (hopefully). Not only did i remain shine free (can't believe I'm using the word shine free for myself) for the entire 3-4 hours that I used it but the look wasn't the matte mask like one that I dread.

On the downside my crow's feet weren't filled out as I'd hoped but mentioning that little detail is almost like cribbing compared to the greater good that it achieved. I love my photo finish lite.

I love this product! Rarely do I come across a product that I like so much that I feel compelled to bother writing a review; but as soon as I began applying it to my skin, I could tell it was amazing. I saw one review that said it felt weird on her skin but she also mentioned that she has dry skin which this is clearly not intended for. I thought it felt amazing. It was very light and felt like nothing at all. My skin looked good even before I applied the foundation; it really helped even out my skin tone. I also would usually have problems with my face getting oily mid-day and I never wanted to use powders because I thought it looked too caked on. This product has helped me keep a smooth matte finish all day. It basically does everything that it promises; at least for me it does. I'm absolutely in love with it!

on 7/2/2008 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Another Smashbox product I wish I could love, but I don't. I have really dry skin which isn't too bad in the summer, but no matter the season, this stuff just feels weird on my skin. The texture feels strange probably because it has a drying quality. I think it's probably really great for oily skin or even normal skin. This product is not a friend to dry skin; it leaves my face feeling tight, yet slippery, but not in a good way. It feels like it sits on the surface and I'm not all that sure it evens out the skin anymore than just wearing foundation and powder does. I would think the less you have to put on your face the better, right? But mom really loves it, so she's getting the rest of this bottle.

on 6/30/2008 2:38:00 PM

I don't normally use a primer but the woman at the makeup counter had me try it on. My makeup lasted all day, in Washington, DC summer humidity! I have extremely combination skin (crazy oily in the t-zone and flaky/dry on my chin) and this really made my skin look smooth. I layer over moisturizer before putting on my foundation. Works great.

on 6/27/2008 4:43:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

i really like this primer! i have super oily skin and i have found that it keeps my greasy face mattified longer than anything else. of course, you have to moisturize before u apply this primer (i use olay moisturizer for oily/combo skin) and then put on your foundation! i also use mac's pressed blot powder to set my foundation & i find that this combo keeps my face looking fresh and non-greasy for like 5 hours, then i just have to blot a little and my face is back to looking fresh. i would definitely repurchase this, even though the price is a little high..i feel it's worth it. it's way better than the original photo finish primer for my skin.

on 6/24/2008 12:26:00 PM

i bought the smaller tube version of this hoping that it would treat my skin better than the original formula had. well it doesn't make me oily, but other than maybe hydrating my dry spots a little, it doesn't seem to make any difference under my foundation. glad i didn't buy the full bottle.

on 6/18/2008 6:22:00 PM

This product is a lifesaver for me. I have combo to oily skin and searched for a primer forever. I tried the original Photo finish and felt it clogged my pores, tried a travel size of the peach one, with Dermaxyl , hated it, tried clinique, philosophy everyhing and than bought this on a whim at an Ulta opening day. This product is perfect and the few times I forget to use it i can tell .. my makeup sits on top of oil on my skin. This mattes without drying like pore/matte minimizers but leaves skin smooth and truly primes skin for makeup (in my case oil free LM TM) and it never clogs my pores Also the packaging on the light is so much better. its not the same glass bottle with a pump ..its air tight and you get every last drop .. I still tend to buy the travel size beacause it is $16 for .50z or $36 for 1oz.As you can see its not cheap but it lasts ..you only need a small amount and it blends in so well that you can chose to only place on your tzone (ive done this before) and see needed results without wasting.