beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 4/2/2013 3:19:00 PM

I love how this sponge applies foundation. However, it absorbs a lot of product. The other minus is that the sponge is not easy to clean. I think that it cumulates dirt and bacteria despite being cleaned very often. In case of people with acne prone skin this may actually worsen the skin condition.

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

In my old age I've become a little more ... Oh how should I put it...... Cheap lol ok thrifty is maybe a better word. So spending that much on one tiny little pink egg blew my mind. I finally gave in because a perfect airbrush foundation is my life long goal. When the little pink gem came in the mail I was ecstatic. Had to try it ASAP and LOVED it. I just recently started a blog about makeup and life from an over 40 pov and one of the things I love about this sponge is since you bounce it on your face there is no unnecessary tugging and pulling on the skin. I love the finish it leaves. I use it with my cream and liquid foundation. I saw a video from a makeup artists giving a tip on cleaning it. Little mini hotel bar soap. I didn't buy the cleaner so this tip works great for me. Just gently rub it on the bar and clean. I haven't notice it sucking up any more product than a wedge sponge or a brush. Mine has lasted a long while since I only wear makeup once a week, if that. I love this little gem. To me it's definitely worth the money.

on 4/2/2013 10:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I finally decided to give this sponge a try since after applying face makeup I found that there's unevenness and caked spots on my face. The makers of the product instructs you to wet the sponge with tap water until it expand and then squeeze out the water. You can either apply the liquid foundation or BB cream (I use Marcelle BB medium to dark as my foundation) on to your face first or on the sponge. The technique is to dab it all over your face as and this effect will leave you with "airbrushed" look. After I've applied my BB cream, it left a dewy feel on my face. I wait a couple of minutes before it sets or dry and then I apply my physician's formula face powder. This just helps with shine control and gives me a matte finish in the end.

I purchased this product on amazon.com for $25+ free shipping. It also came with the beauty blender cleanser which was great because I wash my beauty blender after each use. When washing your sponge take extra caution and be gentle when scrubbing because the sponge can easily tear. That's what happened to my sponge =( Overall amazing product and will repurchase.

on 4/2/2013 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I agree with the comments below. This baby makes it easy to apply and evens out the amount of foundation on my skin. Its very pricey in Australia...around $24-$29 for a single sponge! I bought the white one from www.radiantbubbles.com.au and got it discounted to $21. Was very happy with the purchase and saved!

I will repurchase this again. love this product!!!!!

on 4/1/2013 12:56:00 AM

I didn't buy this during the years of hype because, c'mon, $20 for a piece of pink foam? But I saw a pack of 2 for $20 on Amazon (including shipping), and I'd been having problems with dry flaky skin (read: cakey, gross foundation) so my curiosity (read: desperate for any solution) got ahold of me. And oh boy do I regret not having followed the hype years prior, this has seriously changed my foundation life. Made a bigger difference on my foundation finish than when I discovered exfoliating & primer. Even my thickest, cakiest foundations look so much more natural and smooth applied with this. I can do higher coverage now because it doesn't get cakey as easily. People have actually been asking if I got a great night's sleep or started a new skincare product, because my face looks so bright and clean. Hahaha, it's all makeup you fools!
It's easy to use and faster than blending with brushes. I do the typical bouncing motion and always works great. I use it damp by running it under the tap for a few seconds and squeezing the excess out. I clean it as soon as I'm done with the mu; I use Dr Bronners and it cleans nicely, no stains. I imagine you could use any cleanser that cleanses thoroughly but doesn't leave greasy residue on your brushes.
One important thing I found was to soap it when it's damp or dry, never when wet & swollen with water, because then it will take a long time to get all the stains out. Not quite sure why, maybe the BB needs room to absorb the soap?
It does run pink when soaping (never on my face or when it's wet with just water). I want the white one but haven't been able to find them as cheap as the pink. Apparently they have a black one too, no idea about that one.
The storage is a bit of an issue, I have ordered a tall egg stand for it. We shall see how that goes 8D I think you could use those drainy-soap dishes, too. Or maybe a clean piece of paper towel, which is what I did before it started aesthetically annoying me.
Anyway, yeah, I love this. I can't remember the last time I raved about something so much. Yes it is pricey, that is the only thing I don't love about it, but I am willing to pay it for the higher coverage + natural realskin finish. Of course if someone comes out with a convincing dupe, I will switch, but I haven't found a comparable dupe so far.

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

This is a foundation lover MUST HAVE item. I had been putting off buying this sponge for the longest time, simply unwilling to splurge on it. I bought a knock off Manicare purple one to try. The knock off one wont last, tip came off.
So being a foundation junkie, I bought the double sponges pack for S$39.90 from BHG (USD30) which is pretty close to price in the US.
Nothing come close to comparism with the original sponge, foundation application never been such a breeze with airbrush finishes. I used it with my liquid and cream foundations, and all looks flawless.
Cleaning is a pain though, be careful not to nick your nail into it while washing.
Splurge on the original one if you can.

on 3/29/2013 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I got one of the off-brand of these and i love it. My foundation melts into my skin and it looks so beautiful. I use MUFE in 185 so I expected it to stain the sponge a bit but i clean it with cleanser and a little bit of olive oil. The best thing about it is that, unlike brushes, I can wash it everyday and not have to worry about waiting for it to get dry before i use it again. Its now my mu staple

on 3/27/2013 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I love this sponge! I tried several makeup sponges before purchasing the beauty blender due to its price point, but the other sponges don't even compare, and they all fell apart quickly and easily. The beauty blender is an entirely different texture -- soft and squishy, very spongey. I had a problem with poking sponges with my nails and them breaking, but this one doesn't do that.
I use it by saturating with water then squeezing in a towel to give the sponge dampness and stippling my product onto my face. It works well to blend foundation, concealer, and cream blushes/highlights. It gives me a beautiful, flawless finish, and it allows maximum coverage with minimal product.
The only issue I have with the beautyblender is that the pink one bleeds when you wash it -- it bleeds a lot, and the fact that the dye comes out disturbs me. I don't want that on my face! So in the future I will purchase the "clean" one, and I would recommend that one to others.
For a sponge, this is REALLY expensive, but you can usually get 2 for 25 or something like that, and that is a really good deal since one sponge costs 19 USD.
It is a bit difficult to clean long-wearing foundations out of the sponge, but to be honest it's a sponge I use to apply makeup, so I'm not that worried about it having any makeup stains on it so long as I know there is no makeup left in it. I use gentle hand soap to clean it after use, and once a week I'll clean it with a mild dish soap. I'm considering purchasing the beauty blender cleanser, but that's expensive as well.
I like that the packaging involves a sort of stand to put the sponge on when I'm not using it/when it's drying after being washed.
4/5 because of the bleeding, 4/5 for price -- it's a 19 USD sponge ffs!, 4/5 for packaging -- I like the stand. I will definitely buy more!

on 3/24/2013 12:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely love this. I wish that I had given then is a try before I bought my MAC Kabuki brushes. This sponge blends everything perfectly especially if I'm using thicker foundations. I use this to blend my under eye concealer and use afterwards to press my loose powder in that area.

I have a couple of complaints about this sponge. It is really expensive, You would think that the company would at least invest on a better packaging. It also hard to get rid of the foundation stain when I use long wearing foundations. I have to be very careful when I'm cleaning this as I have long nails and I found myself poking holes on it the first time around. I ended up buying the soap for it because I found that the sponge lasted longer rather than using baby shampoo.

Anyway I will definitely buy this again because it is so easy to use. It just my face look more flawless with this no matter what foundation I use. I'm already going on my third one in a year with roughly 4 uses a week.

on 3/23/2013 8:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This does make my foundation go on smooth and gives an airbrushed quality, but it needs to be a little damp to do that. And if it's damp, it ends up giving me a matte look, which is no good on my dry skin. If I use it dry, it soaks up too much foundation, so I've been using it to buff down my makeup after I apply it with a brush or fingertips. I still think it's a good product, but I wish it were easier to get a dewey look.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools