September 18, 2014 | 1896 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by ElleBerry

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I never write reviews on here but I just had to share how much I love the beautyblender, in case it helps someone else discover it! I have very dry, sensitive skin, that can sometimes break out with the wrong products, and also flushes easily (fun I know). I have never been happy with the way my foundation looks, even though I have tried 20+ brands and all sorts of brushes and sponges (and hands). I was reasonably happy with the MAC stippling brush, but as my skin has become more dry, I found that stippling on my foundation was making my skin look flaky and cakey. I was so upset, I didn't know else to try. After reading the reviews on MUA, I decided to purchase the beautyblender online. I was so skeptical, because nothing ever works for me, but I am so pleased to say that this little sponge applies my liquid foundation so well, it blends right into my skin, it's easy to apply lightly or layer for fuller coverage, and it doesn't flake or upset my dry sensitive skin. Make sure you watch the how-to video and dampen the sponge before use. The beautyblender makes my cheap Almay foundation look smooth and even, I love it. Definitely give it a try if you are like me and have always had trouble applying foundation. (I understand some reviewers say it is 'nothing special' but that is probably because they are already super skilled at applying foundation - this is a fabulous tool for amateurs like me!)

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2012 10:18:00 PM More reviews by missishii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I love this sponge!! it is so worth the hype! I bought the beauty blender about a year ago and have been loving it since. It applies my foundation, streak-free and really quickly. And just the tiniest amount covers my face so well. I put little dots of foundation around my face and stipple it around with the beauty blender. And mind you, I own other foundation brushes- mac, sephora platinum #55, a stippling brush etc.. but I keep coming back to this one. The only thing is, if you're not religious with washing your beauty blender it can leave a foundation stain on it. But other than that, amazing sponge- well worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2012 10:09:00 AM More reviews by contrariwhys

Worth the hype!
First off, I have tried Ulta's "egg" sponge and Sonia Kashuk's blue peep. I finally decided to take the plunge with beautyblender after getting a coupon for bloom.com. With the discount I was able to get 2 sponges plus other makeup for $20 so the cost ended up being the same as the Sonia Kasuk sponge.

Ulta's sponge was a waste of money IMO. But don't get me wrong I was satisfied with Sonia's sponge. It gave me smooth coverage and a dewy look when I used it damp. However it is much stiffer then the beautyblender and more difficult/awkward to get in the corners of eyes and around the nose. It lasted probably 8 months before it started breaking up.

Onto the beautyblender:
The sponge is extremely soft and flexible and gives a perfect finish when I've used it with liquid foundations. Unlike the Sonia sponge it will easily work under the eyes and around the nose. I cleaned it with some organic face wash which I applied when it was dry, squeezed to a foam, then rinsed. Got the foundation off beautifully but it did release pink dye. Which was odd but not a big deal.

I have a feeling I'll have to care for this sponge I bit more delicately but it's worth it because it performs heads above any other makeup sponge.
I also highly recommend getting the beautyblender two at a time as it's much cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2012 11:44:00 AM More reviews by birdybee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is an expensive product but well worth it IMO. I have the two pack which is much more economical. My makeup looks flawless when I use my BB to apply. I just put a little foundtaion on the back of my hand, soak it up with the dampened BB and stipple on my face. Its quite quick and easy. I wash mine after every use but it is still stained a bit, which I honestly don't mind.

I have tried the Sonia Kashuk and Ulta knock-offs of this and I can tell a huge difference. They do not compare to the BB.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by taral9587

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best sponge EVER. I never liked applying liquid foundation with a brush, I don't know if I was doing it the wrong way or not but it always came out looking 'mask-like' so I've always used sponges to apply foundation... When I found this and used for the first time I was ECSTATIC! Makes my foundation blend so well and sets a great base for the rest of my makeup. And I love that you can dampen the sponge first it makes such a difference....Totally worth the price in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2012 10:08:00 AM More reviews by jc2729

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I finally gave in to the hype and bought the 2 pack since I figured if I do like it, its cheaper in the long run. Its a great tool for high coverage/long wearing foundations. If you wear a lighter foundation I dont think you need this sponge, I've tried it with both maybelline superstay and fit me foundations. It worked really great with the superstay! Great coverage and did not look cakey at all. When I tried it with the fit me I felt that it soaked up a lot more of the product and gave similar results as a good foundation brush (like the sigmax brushes). So overall if you use heavier foundations I think the beautyblender is the way to go =) Oh fyi, its super annoying that such an expensive sponge bleeds pink dye! Hopefully the new beautyblender pure (white) will come in a 2 pack soon.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by easturner

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I wasn't sure if I should believe all of the hype about this product, but I took a gamble and ordered it off of Amazon (it was a few dollars cheaper). From the first time that I used it (I used it wet), I was in love. My foundation looked like skin. It was the most perfect finish ever. I've even used this to apply my tinted moisturizer. It is a bit pricey for a makeup sponge, but I think it is totally worth it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 2:16:00 PM More reviews by nekroze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

As a long time fan of anything about cosmetics,I can easily say that this is one of the biggest sales gimmick I have ever seen.Especially after it came out ,it was on everywhere.I didin't pay much attention first but then some of my fav beauty blogs mentioned it,so I went and paid and got a little pink sponge for a funny(in a tragic way) price.
First of all,I am a light application loving girl.I am pale so I have to be careful with my blushes and stuff.As for the foundation,I love sheer and natural coverage.So here are my thoughts about BB coming:
1)The amount of foundation you have to use with BB is just ridiculous.I use brushes to apply foundation,not fingers.I like sheer and buildable products so spending so much of a product is not a problem for me.But this is extreme.An example : if you need 1-2 pump for fingers,2-3 for any brush,I need min. 4 pumps for the BB.and I dont even layer/build my foundation for more coverage.Buying a new high end foundation when I need one is not a problem for me but the fact that it will be lasting for not more than 2 months maximum is not amusing me.

2)the effect: I don't understand this.It is not creating a magical look or something.it just gives you the effect that any right brush-foundation duo and some avarage blending technique can give.it also lowers down the covering ability.My fav brushes for foundation is mac 187 and 130.I love the new Shiseido brush as well.Hakuhodo,a brand I am new to,seems to have perfect foundation tools .I got G5552 and it is perfection.So what does this sponge has? nothing unique.Besides eating your foundation up and requiring longer time for application.

3)cleaning: painful.I have to use a cleansing oil to take off the foundation totally.I clean my brushes with mac's make up cleanser after each application and shampoo about once a week.even washing a brush takes less time.and with BB you have to do it everyday.It is not sweet,really.if you are concerned a lot about the bacteria and breakouts(i dont experience any),you will not enjoy the cleaning process.

4)price: ok this is the real deal breaker.BB is made of suede.it sounds fancy.like "look,it is not a cheap sponge material,you see?" But the truth is a suede sponge is what you use for your shoes.and they don't/can't cost 20 bucks.But an unstoppabable hype creates the illusion of a 20 dollar sponge is actually worth it.With the price of 2 BBs,you can go and buy a brush that you can use till the end of your life,not only from Mac,but from many other or even better brush producers.

I will stop here.it is only the cons here.One pro is that it actually works good with cream/liquid blushes/highlighters.So I sometimes use it.But buy it again? definetly not worth it.I already have two and this is not something I will go and buy again unless I win the lottery or someting.

18 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2012 3:27:00 AM More reviews by Necrodeity

This sponge is by far the best sponge I've ever tried and nothing really compares to this. It's softer than other sponges (Sonia Kashuk and Basically U Super Blender Sponge from Ulta) and applies/blends foundation better. They try to imitate the shape but they can't duplicate the results. My only complaints are it stains even after washing it thoroughly (I used the Beauty Blender cleanser, baby shampoo, castille soap and it still stained!) and that it's pretty expensive.. I think I read somewhere that they only recommend using it for 3 months.. But at this price, I'll use it for as long as I could!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 1:53:00 AM More reviews by nette92

Okay, I was very excited to try this out. I wanted it for so long because i love wedges to apply makeup but I hate the fact that they have edges. So, I bought 2 of these. When I applied my makeup, it was fast and the wetness made my face look glowly. Awesome. However, I found that by the end of the day my skin looks worse then it did that morning, like irritated red spots. And I hadn't changed anything in my routine, except for adding this sponge. I noticed this happen on the days I used this. I believe the culprit lies on the pink dye on the BB. Everytime I wet it, the water runs pink. I really don't like the fact that pink stuff is getting on my face, and as a person with sensitive skin it obviously is becoming a problem. Loved the application but will not buy again. Back to cosmetic wedges.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No