October 21, 2014 | 2036 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I followed the directions to the tee and ended up with a poor makeup application (forget an airbrush finish...it wasn't even close to that). I now store my lovely pink egg in the back of my makeup drawer as a constant reminder to myself that High End isn't always a guarantee of a great product.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 4:37:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really do not "get" this product. I probably just need a tutorial, but it just seems to "pack on the crap" and not really do anything else. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I absolutely cannot get over the hype over this object. Can someone here please educate me? I wet the sponge, do what I am supposed to do, but honestly, what a waste of time! I might as well continue using my fingers.
What am I missing?

UPDATE: Looking at all the good reviews here, I would just love someone to show me what I am missing out on. I find this product to be beyond hype. If you know better, please help educate me regarding how to use this.This was one of those purchases that I have to think, "Why did I buy this???" I have had it a while now. I was hoping that at some point I could say, "great, I like this." I still do not, unfortunately. This thing can pile on the plaster, but it does not look natural. I have been working with this thing for a year, and I still do not like it.
The best I can say is that I can use my fingers or other sponges to smooth out the application after I have used this beast to absorb an inordinate amount of product. In my experience, using fingers to apply foundation is quite adequate. When you use these other items. I personally think that you are just buying into a racket to use more product that necessary.
And try to clean the darn thing?! (Watch your money and time go down the drain.)
I think that Beauty Blender took me for a fool, and believe me, I feel foolish! What an incredible amount of money for such nonsense!

2nd update: Still trying this once in a while using all the information provided, and I just don't see the point. It uses up more than twice the product you would use if you used your fingers. I think that the finger method works better anyway. I just don't get it.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Parpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is NOT for the actual "Beauty Blender" but rather the exact replica (but in a different colour) sold at London Drugs (in Canada). That sponge is sold for about $6.00 and obviously the beauty blender is far more expensive. In Canadian Sephora's the Beauty Blender is not sold, so one has to order online. Anyways I wear liquid foundation and have tried the following ways to apply my foundation: fingers, damp sponge, dry sponge, flat foundation brush, curved foundation brush, and lastly a stippling brush. My favourite by far is Mac's stippling brush, but my second would be this sponge. But will I buy it again? Probably not, here are the reasons why.
It is a sponge, no matter what you clean it with, how you clean, or how long you clean it before, it will not be bacteria free. The very first time that I tried to clean it, the residue from my foundation would not come out, and obviously it looked discolored. If you're re-using a sponge, and getting blemishes this is probably the reason why. I don't know what cleaner comes with it, but it has to be pretty strong for people not be breaking out, right? Another thing, some of the cleaners that brushes/sponges come with are very, very harsh on the skin...just a note that people should be aware off...that's why I wash my brushes with Cetaphil and Tea Tree Oil.
The only point that this sponge would have over any brush is the design of it, and because of that it is very easy to get into crevices of the face, like by the eyes, beside the nose, on the nose...stippling on the nose is a bit odd haha!

Also like with other sponges if you dampen this, it would work much better. I have seen people use this different ways...like going back and forth with it and rolling it on each side, or dabbing it onto the skin. The latter would pose more of a risk of wasting too much foundation.

So I feel that if these came in packs, and were cheap enough like regular cosmetic sponges, I might give them another try, but until then I am going to stick with my stippling brush. Also if you have redness and blemishes to cover up, a dabbing motion rather than a downward motion would work the best. That's why these sponges and the stippling brush work so well for people who have acne. If you want to try this, and live in Canada, go to London Drugs and pick up the sponge before making the splurge on the real deal..the brand is called "London Look" I believe, and I found it where they keep the nail grooming tools. The reason I am giving it a 3 is that it is a fabulous tool to apply liquid make-up, but not sustainable for many people (myself included).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 8:48:00 PM More reviews by Jlr7071

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely LOVE this pink egg-shaped makeup sponge!!!!!! Can't boast enough about it! I tried the Sonia Kashuk sponge and was ok with it (bit stiffer). Then I bought the BB and there's no comparison! It is much softer and my foundation goes on flawlessly and ever so evenly without brush streaks! I use two pumps of my foundation for all over coverage.

I wet the sponge thoroughly with warm H2O and squeeze excess out with my hand then I use a clean towel to squeeze more of the water out before using it.

I bought the BB soapy cleanser it works ok, I don't like the scent! I usually have to rinse and repeat.

Another cool notion is that you can mail the BB back to the company after about 3 months (the usual life of the sponge) and they will dispose of it in a friendly environment method.

Dislikes: foundation stains remain on sponge & pink dye bleeds out

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 8:27:00 PM More reviews by SwtValina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I LOOOVE this sponge! Once I figured out how to use it. I use the pointy part to blend my concealer and then I moisten it and use it to blend my foundation. I also use it to clean up my eyeshadow. It gives a nice flawless look. Make sure it is not too wet though. After I wet the sponge I dry it on a towel. I gently clean it with hand soap without a problem. It's worth a try, you can always return to sephora if you don't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by boxyeongxan

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I do really like the finish it gives and the foundation really does look flawless. I've only used liquid foundation with this sponge so far though.
It is pretty pricey for a sponge (I had a gift card at the time sooo yeah splurge lol) but it is kinda worth it because it is so multifunctional?
I use the bottom round part for my all over foundation and I use the pointed tip for under eye concealer or around the nose. And in the instructions it says you can also use it for powder and blush soooo yeah.
It does get stained pretty easily though. I wash it as thoroughly as I can but there still is like a little orangish stain.
After a while it does kinda flake? but i mean..its a sponge after all. LIke a brush sheds after time, sponges flake.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Love this. I've tried every other method of application and on me, the beautyblender works best for a flawless, airbrushed effect. Believe the hype! It does need to be washed with the special soap once a week, or you could probably just use a gentle shampoo.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2012 7:11:00 PM More reviews by lilblue10

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually wasn't expecting much when purchasing it, but I always have a hard time with my foundation because I have a lot of acne scars and big pores. My skin is just really hard to work with overall, I can't never get the perfect,flawless application I so want. I thought my Sigma F80 was working pretty well but got a little bored so I thought why not try this. I bought the 2 pack because its way cheaper that way and figured that if I didnt like it I could always swap the unused one. Turns out I love it, seriously I know its just a sponge but there is something MAGIC about it. My Revlon Colorstay look flawless when I apply it with the BB. I think it works better with thicker liquid foundation because I've tried it with my Mac Studio Sculpt ( which is a gel ) and its awful lol. But I mostly wear full coverage foundations which are generally thicker so its not a problem to me. I'm so glad I tried it and won't ever be without it again

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Beautyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I recently ordered this. I ordered the pack of 2 sponges & the cleanser & have used it for the past 3 days. I noticed since I started using it I haven't wanted to reach for a brush to apply my foundation. I like the way it applies.It's really bouncy & you can really build the coverage lovely. It covers all my acne scarring better than when I apply with a brush. There are some things I don't like about it though. I don't like that I have to clean it after each use(I clean my brushes every 2to3 sometimes even 4 uses). It takes A LOT of the cleanser to fully clean the makeup off the sponge & the cleanser is kind of pricey. It's my first sponge so I'm not sure if its really worth the money. One sponge is $20 which is why I bought the pack of 2 because it came with cleanser, I thought that was a better deal. I plan on trying cheaper sponges & updating this review because $20 is pricey for a sponge.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/12/2012 2:17:00 AM More reviews by nobunny

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

well, i will start out by saying that yes, this is a very nice sponge and it really does give a super lovely application and finish. there's a white undyed version too if you have sensitive skin. BUT i have major gripes.

first of all, in my experience, it doesn't use less product than other sponges. i use about 1.5 to 2 pumps to do my whole face with brushes. with this sponge it is like... 4 to 5. currently, i'm using pretty expensive foundation and i really don't like the idea of replacing them in double time. even though i don't wear it every day, it's still annoying.

second is cleaning. i feel like i can never get this clean. not just that the foundation stains it, but that i can SEE foundation in the sponge and i just cannot get it out. i always clean with cold water and baby shampoo, and i will soak things for a couple hours if they are really stubbornly caked (looking at you, kabuki brush..) however, i let this soak for a FULL NIGHT which has never NOT worked before. even the most grease paint, lacquered up brush usually at least gives way to the soak. this didn't seem to do much to the sponge.. maybe cos it's a sponge, i don't know.

anyways i will surely use mine occasionally for cream blushes, highlighters, and maybe foundation occasionally.. but i wouldn't recommend this to a friend. maybe having the blendercleanser makes a difference, but i heard it shouldn't. i don't really care to buy it and see. i would also recommend just getting a nice brush or two and learning to use them. i don't pay more than 30 dollars for my brushes and with careful selection, they all work pretty well, so i don't really like the idea of someone shelling out almost the same price for a replaceable sponge.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No