Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/14/2012 3:07:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Coconut oil is a cheap and fantastic multi-purpose product. for a LARGE jar at walmart it was only $6. Though prices does vary... the most expensive I've seen it for was generally about $12 for the same amount of product.

The jar is quite large (31.5 FL OZ) and it has lasted me a little over a year.

I am completely obsessed with this... I use this to cook but also beauty related items such as:

Hair: it helps make the hair shine without weighing it down or making it greasy, it smells so good, and can sometime defrizzes your hair.*As long as you take a dime size and rub it with your fingers and use your fingers to comb your hair........ you dont have to worry about greasy feelings.

Lips: I have really dry burning lips. so at night before I go to bed I would scrub my lips and put this on the next day it is still there and my lips are super soft.

Feet: Idk about deoderizer BUT it softens my heels. I would put this on at night before bed and have my sock on... next day. almost baby soft!

down size... you can always find it in a jar so it can be a little unsanitary especially if you also use it for cooking.... try using it with a spoon to get out your product.

Dry skin: I have put this on my face where it tends to flake and it has not cause me to break out.... and I have sensitive acne prone skin. I also put this all over my body. it feels great.

from the review below apparently it can help remove dandruff... which I need to try out so I will update this in the future

on 4/14/2012 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

How have I not reviewed this yet? I've been using coconut oil for a couple of years now. I use it as lotion occasionally, as a hair treatment regularly, and to remove eye makeup when I bother to wear it. It works wonders on my fine wavy hair and doesn't irritate my acne-prone skin. I'm honestly not sure what I could say that the other reviews haven't covered already. All in all it's an awesome find and I'm glad I started using it!

on 4/14/2012 12:45:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Coconut oil is a cheap and fantastic multi-purpose product. Here's what I've used coconut oil for, along with my thoughts and experiences:

1. Hair moisturizer: Coconut oil is one of a few oils that have been clinically proven to completely penetrate the hair shaft, as opposed to just sitting on or partially soaking into the hair. I make my own deep conditioners, and my favorite recipe is two tablespoons coconut oil, one tablespoon olive oil (also proven to sink into hair), and about a teaspoon of castor oil. Coconut oil washes out better than olive oil, but the mix of the two moisturizers the hair better than just using one alone. I do this once a week or every other week, and my notepad has more info on DIY hair treatments. Coconut oil is also great for moisturizing eyebrows and eyelashes.

2. Hair styling product: My hair is long, curly, and very thick, and I sometimes use a little bit of coconut oil on second-day hair to get rid of frizz. I love softer, beachy waves, and to get that look without using lots of products and heat stylers, I comb a very small amount of coconut oil and hair gel through wet hair, concentrating on the lower half, then do a French braid it to wear to bed. In the morning, I undo the braid and smooth the hair over with a tiny bit more coconut oil.

3. Scalp treatment: I have had chronic dandruff for years, and while I can usually keep it at bay by not shampooing and doing post-shower apple cider vinegar rinses, if I have a bad dandruff flare-up, I massage some coconut oil onto my scalp, let it sit for at least an hour, and then follow with a co-wash and an ACV rinse; this improves the flare-up, but doesn't always cure it on the first try.

4. Eye cream: I'm nineteen and not really concerned about wrinkles, but I use coconut oil to moisturizer my under eye area and eyelids every morning and night. It staves off milia, helps with post-treading irritation and redness, and helps my make-up go on smoother.

5. Cuticle cream: With the help of another MUA user, I'm working on making my own cuticle cream, but in the meantime, I use a bit of coconut oil to keep my cuticles and the skin around my nails from drying out or developing hangnails. When I do make my cuticle cream, it will definitely contain coconut oil.

6. General skin moisturizer and salve: If I have a very rough patch of skin, a cut or scrape, some irritation or redness, or can't find my lip balm, I swipe on some coconut oil wherever it's needed to take care of the problem.

I gave coconut oil a three out of five on price because the cost varies considerably from shop to shop; I've seen a sixteen-ounce tub sell for as low as seven US dollars to as high as sixteen US dollars. The cheapest price I've found was at Trader Joe's (not affiliated) for seven dollars, and it was organic and extra-virgin, to boot. I've heard it can be found for even cheaper at small southeast Asian stores. If you can only find it in your area at the higher price end, keep in mind that sixteen ounces has lasted me four full months of frequent use, and I still have some left for another two weeks or so.

on 4/14/2012 12:13:00 PM

This is an update on an earlier, positive review.

I still use coconut oil as my HG intense hair treatment, and as a supplement to my conditioner. It's heaven-sent for my thick, wiry, long, extremely curly hair.

But I've found other uses. My husband has seborrheic dermatitis on his forehead sometimes; it's a peeling of the skin, with an itchy rash. Coconut oil fades the rash, smoothes the peeling, and eases the itch. I've found that coconut oil is an excellent makeup remover. And for cooking, it has a very high smoke point, which means it won't burn like olive oil, but is still healthy for you.

I have to correct a misconception put forth in someone else's review. It is NOT, repeat, NOT TRUE that high temperatures make coconut oil into a trans-fat. That is chemically impossible. Trans-fats are also called hydrogenated fats, and they are made in a lab by adding hydrogen. That is the only way they are made. High temps can't do it. So go ahead and cook with coconut oil when you need an oil that won't burn; it's safe.

on 4/14/2012 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I coconut oil as an overnight or pre-shampoo hair treatment. I have long medium thickness hair which I have to wash everyday due to exercise. I use about a nickel sized chunk of coconut oil in my palm, which quickly melts to a liquid with the warmth of your hand. Massage it though and leave it overnight. My hair has never been so soft! This also smells beyond delicious. Also great as a make up remover for stubborn or waterproof make up (Inglot gel eyeliner, I'm looking at you...).

on 4/11/2012 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Okay so I've been using coconut oil since I was 7 since I'm south asian (Bangladesh, right next to india). This a great conditioner for hair and I love how soft and healthy my hair feels even though I damage it all the time with a straightener.

But you do not need to spend more than $7 on this, you can get real coconut oil at Indian or middle eastern stores with the brand name as Parachute, in a blue bottle. I get mine for about $5 but that's the big ones.

I purchased organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil from my local health food store. I tried coconut oil as an alternative to moisturizer, as most clog my pores. The first night I washed my face, and when it was still damp, rubbed a few drops of coconut oil between my palms before patting it on my face. My god them smell! It was like heaven! The next day I noticed that the coconut oil seemed to help heal blemishes, but at the same time gave me many clogged pores and blackheads. So now I use coconut oil as an occasional spot treatment for a huge pimple that needs to be healed.
I tried using it on my hair and it strengthened it like nothing else, but everywhere my hair touched I broke out. I broke out on my scalp even. I will try the oil pulling method for my teeth after I have my braces taken off and update. Overall, it was a mediocre product for me, but I still suggest you try coconut oil as everyones skin is different.

on 4/9/2012 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

ok, I dont even know where to start.

1) hair. OH MY GOD. I've tried all the morrocan and the mythic and the macadamia and the kerastase treatments and the redken soft and all that and nothing compares to coconut oil. its the only oil that enters the moisture shaft in your hair so instead of just COVERING IT with crap, it really does moisturize! sleep over night with this in and shampoo it out and its a dream, really. my hair grows 10x faster with this in.

2) hair growth! as i mentioned before, my hair grows really fast now i use this weekly. so i put it on my eyelashes (only slightly, nothing to irritate them) and they have never looked so thick and long and healthy! so i then put it on my eyebrows- OMG in a week they were growing like crazy and so much more thick! i can finally pluck them into a shape i want! so good for sparse eyebrows like mine.

3) face. i have an oily t-zone that gets blocked, so instead of using this as a moisturizer, i mix with a bit of avocado or banana and smother it on my face for an hour before cleansing off. because of its anti-bacterial purposes it helps clear my spots but my skin is glowing and so smooth!

4) skin. dry patchs = gone. elbows, feet, knees, hands they are like babys bums no lie

5) health! so much better for you than regular oils!

can you tell i like this oil ahha? even reccomended it to my friend for her psoriasis and she said its really working.

cant reccomend enough really... bought mine from holland & barrett :)

on 4/1/2012 12:48:00 PM

Brilliant for a pre poo treatment, made my fine blonde hair strong!!!!! i had beautiful healthy hair before i became pregnant and due to hormonal changes my hair became brittle and just breaks by touching it, after one coconut treatment and it is looking stunning.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Where do I start to tell you about all the good things this does for my health and beauty? First of all....... ONLY virgin oil is to be used. The old stuff that you can get cheap.. super cheap is not good for you. I personally only get mine at Whole Foods. It's like 7 bucks for an 11oz. jar; and it lasts f-o-r-ever!

Benefits...... Moisturizing.... face, body, hair. As a pre-shampoo.... or a hair dressing pomade. Amazing on my eye lashes... as a conditioner.

Anti-fungal -- anti-microbial -- anti-inflamatory.... great for first aid, bug bites, blemishes, athletes feet... and better for you than petroleum jelly.

I use this on my dogs wind burned/ chapped lips. He loves it................ and it won't hurt him.

AMAZING! My best beauty find ever!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products