Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

I use coconut oil to remove my eye makeup every night, and have been doing so for more than a year. I take a pea-sized amount (or smaller) and rub it over my eye, then take a washcloth and wet it with warm water, and wipe off the coconut oil. I wash my face afterwards with my regular cleanser. It removes EVERYTHING, including the waterproof hard-to-remove products. It has never broken me out, smells fantastic, and is so inexpensive because of how little you use. I also mix it with sugar and use it as a scrub for my hands, lips, and feet. It's amazing. I will never need to buy another makeup remover (except to use while travelling, as the jar of coconut oil I have is rather large, and can be a bit messy if it gets warm and melts). I've converted a friend and my sister, and they both love it too!

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

Love using this. I have a super-cheap option from Superdrug, I would buy a food grade version but I can't be bothered.

I use it on my hair, my face, my body....to moisturise, to remove make up - the possibilities are endless! I should keep a spoon upstairs though as I am always wrecking my nails getting it out of the tub.

on 3/28/2012 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Use this in my face packs. Use it every 2 days for my hair as a deep conditioner before I wash them. Works great as a body moisturizer. It has such a good smell and works amazing. I use it in my turmeric mask so that it doesn't stain!

on 3/28/2012 10:01:00 PM

I love EVCO...in my hair, my porridge, my smoothies...baking...curries. I use Nutiva and love it. For skin, I use this on dry hands to moisturize, or mix equal parts EVCO and sugar (about 1tsp each) and rub it around in my palms and hands for a minute before rinsing in warm water. Makes dry rough hands very silky and soft. I use this as a neck down, after shower moisturizer. I sadly do not tolerate this topically on my face. It left my acne worse than ever, and that took time to clear.

But, other than that, this is a staple in my kitchen and bathroom.

on 3/28/2012 9:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

This is my daily staple for skin and hair.

Skin: Combination, Other, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Finally jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon after hearing about its wonderful use as a scalp/hair treatment from this Ayurvedic practicing woman. The smell really surprised me... I expected a Hawaiian Tropics-like coconut smell but instead, it was really light and smelled like shredded coconuts. It absorbed really easily into my hair and didn't leave me greasy after I shampooed (I deep condition with it pre-poo but also may put a bit on as a balm after). If it's >74 degrees or so, it stays solid but melts easily between my hands. It also has a cooling sensation to it when I rub it into my scalp.

Because I have oily skin I don't use this on my face at all. If I slab on a ton of oil in my hair as a deep conditioner, I tie it up because the oil on the strands around my face will break me out.

on 3/24/2012 8:50:00 PM

I discovered raw organic coconut oil when my dog picked up a minor topical fungal infection and shared it with me. I read that coconut oil used topically has anti-fungal properties, so I decided to give it a go when Rx topical treatments weren't working as well as I'd hoped. I don't know if my own immune system kicked in, or if the coconut oil did the trick, but after only a week using coconut oil topically twice a day, the fungus wasn't among us any longer :) I continue to use it because it makes my skin velvety soft. As a pre-shampoo treatment once a week, it's inexpensive and effective against frizz. For cooking, I mix a little with olive oil, and since it's solid to 76 degrees F, I remove it from the jar with a clean spoon. Any tiny amount of coconut oil left on the spoon discreetly finds its way to my neck before the spoon goes in the sink. I wonder how many other ways this lovely oil can be used!

on 3/24/2012 7:49:00 PM

My review is for Garden of Wisdom's Virgin Coconut Oil. Apparently, virgin coconut oil is NOT comedogenic; refined or fractionated coconut oil IS. I can attest to this because the virgin coconut oil im using has NOT broken me out, in fact, it has actually helped reduce some bumps on my face (note that my skin is definately not acne prone, just a few occasional bumps, so YMMV if you have acne prone/oily skin.) I also like using VCO on my hair as a deep conditioner...works just as well as the olive oil i was using. I was hoping that the coconut oil would help with the coldsore i developed (researched that VCO has anti-viral properties), but it didn't seem to have a massive effect (certainly didnt hurt though). perhaps i didnt use it early enough...? all in all, im really liking coconut oil. i will definately continue to use it!

on 3/24/2012 7:32:00 PM

I heard that coconut oil is great for the hair and since i have one through two tubs using it as a deep conditioning treatment. I comb a quarter of a cup through my hair before bed and leave it on overnight. My hair looks healthier and frizz free after washing, however like other people have said make sure you wash your hair twice. I think the product is also working for hair growth, i have damaged hair which takes a while to grow and since i started using this a month ago my hair has grown at least 3 inches!

Cant wait to try this product for other purposes!

on 3/21/2012 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Yum yum, excellent on toast with honey and also very good on my previously acne prone skin. I was really surprised that this didn't break me out, because just about every other moisturiser I have ever tried has. Strangely it cleared up my few remaining spots, while soothing my skin.

It's about 15 for a large glass jar in the UK, and a little goes a long way so this is pretty good value for money.

Other uses include as a body lotion (although my body is not so willing to absorb it and I am left feeling oily) and as a deep conditioning hair treatment. Also helps reduce cholesterol and very good to cook with, if cooking is your thing.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products