April 24, 2014 | 1919 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - # 239 Eye Shader Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2008 8:37:00 PM More reviews by CoonieR

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Like a few other users, I didn't get the hang of this brush at first. User error was definitely the cause, however, because once I realized that this is a good crease color brush I haven't reached for any other (well, at least for crease shading).

I'd tried using this to apply washes and color to my lid, but found that it didn't apply the color as broadly and as evenly as I'd hoped that it would. I promptly switched back to my 252 brush and put the 239 off to the side. Once I tried this to apply my crease color, I realized why some folks consider this a must-have brush. It works well at applying color in the crease--it picks up just enough e/s, applies color evenly and is pretty darn precise.

Would I buy this again? Not as a lid color brush. As a crease/highlighter e/s brush? Absolutely. I'm considering buying a second one, as this gets a lot of use.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2008 3:06:00 PM More reviews by ryver_wynd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The lower rating for this brush could definitely be attributed to user error...but I just cannot get the hang of this brush. I keep reaching for the #217 after trying this brush to add more color to my lid. There is a lighter application of color with the #239, which would be good for building the color up. I'm just a swipe-and-go type of gal most mornings though! I'll keep trying, and reading reviews/boards here for tips...with such high reviews, I don't want to give up just yet! ;)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2008 12:56:00 PM More reviews by SnowJaz

A good shading brush. Picks up e/s especially well and best of all, it is soft yet firm but not hard. This brush also does a good job of packing on colours for e/s. Colours are more vibrant and intense when packed on. But it's too expensive, more expensive than #217. But I think this brush can last me a lifetime.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2008 9:24:00 AM More reviews by Katie5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great brush. It was the first MAC brush I ever bought and it is good for applying colour in a wash. I use it for very basic stuff really but it's definitely an essential brush, along with the 217.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2008 3:34:00 AM More reviews by abbazabba

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

i have the SE one from holiday 07 heirlooms collection. i'm not sure if its just me, but the bristles feel a little rough on the skin. but overall i still love this brush as an all over eyelid color applicator. i use this to apply my paint pots as well

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2008 12:01:00 PM More reviews by CarlaN

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

WHY did I wait so long to buy this little treasure?

The 239 is the perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect perfect lid brush!

The 239 features soft but dense bristles that magically pick up just the right amount of color when swept across a powder eyeshadow.

I used my 239 for the first time with MAC "Clue," a shadow I loved but couldn't get to show up quite as well as I'd wanted. The 239 makes ALL the difference. For the first time, I can see the slight silver shimmer in "Clue" on my *lids,* not just in the *pan.*

The 239's sturdy handle feels "quality," and makes for easy handling. If you have large eyes, as I do, it may take more than one swipe with the 239 to completely cover your lid, but that's insignificant.

If you're on a tight budget and/or prefer to keep your brush collection to a minimum, I HIGHLY suggest that you get the 239.

I really think that if you have the 239 for lids, the 224 for creases and the 309 for lining, you can do a really professional-looking eye makeup with just those three brushes.

The 239 is about $25 USD, but it's worth every cent!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 9:25:00 PM More reviews by PinkFix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The 239 is my perfect lid brush. I have plenty of other MAC brushes but the 239 is just THE brush. I always grab for it when I'm doing my main lid color. It's so soft, it picks up so much product, and it applies it so vibrant and flawlessly. If you are going to invest in one MAC brush, get the 239.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2008 2:16:00 PM More reviews by keahi

This is without a doubt my favorite eyeshadow brush ever! I use it for pretty much everything except eyeliner. This always seems to apply the right amount of pigment, shade the lid perfectly, blends, etc. My eyeshadow just doesn't look as good when I have to use other brushes. I currently own 3 of these. 3! I use it so much that constant washing out is almost impossible. I don't even want to think about having to go without my 239. I will definitely replace when the time comes, and maybe even compulsively buy more just to have on hand. If you don't yet have this brush--get it. I don't see how you could regret the purchase. I've had my first one for at least 2 years now and it is still in near-perfect shape. The quality is top-notch.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2008 3:53:00 PM More reviews by laughing

This is a great everyday shadow brush! Its SUPER soft but still firm and dense. It is paddle shaped with tapered edges that allow it to pick up a lot of color. Great for packing on color all over lid. You can also use it on your brow bone or turn it sideways for crease work when you're in a hurry. One problem: It is a bit small.. but its still an amazing must-have brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2008 2:02:00 PM More reviews by OolilredoO

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This brush is a must have for everyone! This is a great brush for packing on eyeshadows to achieve great pigmentation. This brush gives precise application for my very small asian lids. To deepen the look of my swallon-looking eyes, i always use 239 to pack on a little MAC carbon eyeshadow near the lashline of my out lids and blend it up a little. This instantly makes my eyes look much bigger and awake. I own a lot of brushes, and this is the only brush that can get this done super fast and easy. I will buy this again and again and again. But I doubt if this will happen anytime soon because my 239 never shed once and keeps its shape super well.