MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

on 5/24/2008 5:04:00 PM

I love this brush so much it makes me want to cry. It picks up color beautifully and the stiffness of the brush is just right for application on the lid, crease or highlight. I use it so much that I am thinking of investing in about 2 more. I have washed this baby about 40 times (with Cinema Secrets make brush cleanser) and it still performs as intended. I love it and if I ever lost it I don't think I would leave my house until I got a new one to apply my eyeshadow.

on 5/22/2008 12:23:00 PM

I'm upset...I don't understand why I'm not liking this??

I bought it as it is apparently essential, along with 217.
217 is great, I love it. 187 face brush also wonderful. i.e I am willing to believe MAC know their stuff when it comes to a good brush. And I spend a fortune on products...although it's easier to pay for a load of gorgeous eyeshadows than on one eyeshadow brush. Anyway I digress. I tried this instore and I wasn't sure, in fact I didn't buy it. But then Enkore (Koren) said I needed it and I worship him, and the reviews also amazing, so I doubted myself and went back to buy it.

I have big eyelids and I just feel this is too small..and just not anything unique. Yes it's stiffer than your average but other than that application is not transformed. N.B-. I was using a Lancome brush before, so maybe if I went from a cheapy one I'd be amazed?
Well today I bought the huge Prescriptives shadow brush, also 17.50 (a lot!!) but it feels way better for me. I'll keep this as my 'outer v' brush, and use new one for all over lid.

Just goes to show that if something doesn't feel 'right' sometimes you should trust yourself. But who am I kidding I will always follow what my beloved MUA community is cheering. I'll have to try and see what you all see...

but no, would not repurchase.

//edit/// if you have big eyes and big crease, you are better off with 272. It's just like 239 but somewhat fluffier, and angled. Brilliant brush. (Much better)

on 5/7/2008 4:48:00 AM

This is one of my first MAC brushes I've ever purchased. It's very soft and fluffy and it doesn't feel scratchy or poke you at all. It picks up colour very nicely and it's quite good for blending, too. I use it to apply shadow to my brow bone, apply lid colour and to blend. I've washed it after every time I've used it and the bristles are still white, have kept their shape, and haven't shed at all. My gripes about this product are minor: the MAC lettering in silver on the handle is scratching off, but that's about it. I got it for 29.95CAD, so it was a bit steep for me, but I don't expect it to die on me anytime soon. For argument's sake, I will repurchase.

on 5/6/2008 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

This was my first MAC eye brush and it is by far my favorite. It can be used in many ways and it applies just the right amount of color where you want it. At $24.50 I found it to be a little expensive but since I use it everyday I feel that it is worth every penny. I am contemplating whether to buy a second one to have just in case. It definetly is a good starter brush for those who are just going into makeup. I found it to be very soft but still stiff enough to pat on the colors. I've had it for about 3 months now and it has not shed or lost its shape.

on 4/28/2008 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an essential brush for me! Picks up a lot of color, dense bristles allow you to blend and give control, small shape gives control also.

From my experience if you are looking for basic essential eyeshadow brushes from MAC these are the ones you need:
239 eye shading brush - allover lid color
219 pencil brush - liner (can make thin or thick lines)
272 small angled shader - crease/browbone highlight

on 4/26/2008 6:02:00 PM

I have the mini version of this brush from a brush set (dont know if that makes it worse or not) but i love it! To apply lid color this is essential, especially if i want the color to show up really well on my lids! it has great color placement and the bristles are great! no shedding, or if there has been it's so minimal i haven't noticed it enough to remember. Would like to try the full size & definitely would repurchase.

on 4/24/2008 7:51:00 PM

i LOVE this brush. It's incredibly soft and you can definitely tell that the quality of this eyeshadow brush outcompetes generic eyeshadow brushes. Applying eyeshadow with this brush is incredibly easy. It picks up the eyeshadow pigments extremely well so you aren't losing any color. I'd buy this brush again in a heart beat.

on 4/11/2008 1:59:00 AM

This is pretty much the best brush in the world. It is soft, it picks up tons of color, it applies evenly. It's the most essential MAC eye brush there is. There are absolutely no downsides to this brush, except perhaps the $24.50 price tag. However, it's well worth it and it will last you forever. I'd definitely recommend this brush to anyone. I'll be buying a few more of these for myself as well.

I have three of these - yes, thats how good this brush is! Sadly, one of them is a fake (damn Ebay!) But the other two are genuine. One large, one small. My large is a good 5 years old and is still going strong but its much better quality and softer than the newer version. It might be the size, but i doubt it.
Its great for packing on colour and helps to push the product around. A good size and a great one to start out with if you're a mac brush virgin :)

on 3/27/2008 4:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

The hairs fray easily. Its a good brush to pack on color, probably the best at MAC but i feel a lot of other brushes (even drugstore brands like he target line by sonia kashuk) can pack on better color. I like how its rounded though so you're not stuck with the flat ones that apply color only in a certain angle and a certain place. It can help blend out harsh lines too.

Video Reviews & Tutorials