August 1, 2014 | 1794 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Samaraeve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using this product 5 weeks ago. I'm 28, I have break outs very occasionally. I am using this product for anti-aging purposes.

I use olive oil as my daily moisturizer and that as helped a lot with the dryness. In the last few days the redness and peeling has become a little more noticeable so I've tried two things: I used an AHA mask which helped a LOT. It burned like crazy for the first minute, but then it was fine. Also I've been using Vaseline during the day, which looks kinda greasy but makes the redness/chapping go away.

My daily routine:
morning: Cetaphil, AHA toner, olive oil, 60 SPF sunscreen (and vaseline, if needed)

Evening: cetaphil, olive oil (wait an hour) apply Retin-A 0.05% (I apply to neck and chest as well. My mother always reminds me to protect my chest as that ages too!)

I am noticing an astonishing improvement in my skin already. Good luck everyone, I hope it works for you

UPDATE: I replaced the olive oil with Weleda Sea Buckthorn oil. My skin looks amazing.

UPDATE 2: My skin got into a weird rut for almost 6 months. It didn't look terrible, but it wasn't that great either. I realized the problem: I was also using Benzol Peroxide every other day (I read you should never combine them). Once I discontinued that, within days I FINALLY got the crazy good skin every one claims retin-a gives them.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by cupcake_sarah

I've been prescribed Retin A by two different dermatologists and it has made my skin react badly both times. The first time I was on it was when I was 15. It made my skin so red and caused myself to break out even more. Last year I went to see a dermatologist because I was having frequent breakouts. She prescribed me Retin A, and I was a little leery, but thought that it might work this time around since I was older. I was wrong though. My face became irritated and broke out and I also developed scaly skin that flaked. It was awful. I tried reducing it to every other day and that didn't help either. I will never use this stuff again!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2008 12:22:00 AM More reviews by DeniseN

I have used Retin A in the past but never stuck with it. I just recently started up again based on reviews and I am going to try to stick with it.

2 weeks in now, I notice the 3 blemishes near my chin have disappeared almost, and one looks like it might scar :( (I'll update). I caught a glimpse in a mirror today and did a double take! My skin already looks more even toned, clearer.

The first week I experienced minor flaking on my nose and around my mouth (be careful of lips!) I cracked the corner of my mouth! So, I am now alternating every other day with it. I will update, seems promising.

UPDATE: worked for a while, I kept waiting for PERFECT skin...didn't happen and I got really bad peeling skin on my nose and chin all the time!!! Moving on to MD Formulations, my skin already looks better :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by CelesteB

I use Retin-A Micro.

I do not have an acne problem but use this as an anti-aging tool... I have not experienced redness, dryness or flaking... yet. If anything happens I will be editing this post. ;-)

rated 3 of 5 on 3/24/2008 3:01:00 PM More reviews by ViciRose

Okay, am I doing something wrong? I don't get reddness, or peeling or flaking.... Well, for one day I did. I increased my moisturizer a little and now I am fine. I have only been using for 2 weeks. Does this mean I am not doing something right? I use a little more than a pea size, maybe a plump pea.. :). I can tell that my skin is clearing up but I dont know if that is a result of the retin-a or the antibiotics that I started two weeks ago as well. IN FACT.. I think I get a little more oily than I had prior to the retin-a. In the passed I hardly noticed the oil, now I get a little shiny. Hummmmmm
UPDATE: I have been using for several weeks now and the last two weeks have been so TERRIBLE! I look like a fish with all the scales. particularly around my mouth and my chin. The sides of my lips have cracked and I have developed very chapped lips. I did use this on my mouth but only twice weeks ago, the dryness isn't subsiding though. I have noticed a difference in my skin. But the really tough cystic acne isn't really going away and I have had a few new ones within the last couple of weeks. I can't find any mosturizer that will help. My makeup looks patchy, dry... its really embarrassing. I'm not going to wimp out though.... I'll update again later.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2008 12:33:00 PM More reviews by jaqi16

Made my skin burn, flake, and become very painful. I continued to use it hoping my skin would clear up and those little bumps under the skin would come to the surface... nope never happened and I was left with extremely irritated painful skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2008 5:40:00 AM More reviews by ICN

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I used to use Retin-A Gel, but have since moved onto Stieva-A Cream (0.05% Concentration of Tretinoin) due to the irritation caused by the alcohol vehicle of Retin-A.

Stieva-A, and like all tretinoin products cause excessive dryness. The last time that I properly used it (approx. 2 weeks in duration) produced fantastic results where the acne scars were half the darkness than they previously were. The complexion was smooth, supple and hydrated.

The only downside, of course, is the EXTREME dryness that you may encounter during treatment. I experienced dryness to the extent were I'd wake up finding difficulty trying to open my mouth because of the dryness. Further, I found that even the thickest moisturisers that I had (namely Creme de la Mer [fabulous at calming skin] and Eucerin Cream [sadly, unavailable in Australia]) did not compensate for the moisture lossed due to the dryness.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by zicc18

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I just wrote my very first review ( after over 3 years) on Obagi Clear. I love that, but it I believe it is because of Retin A gel ( .1%) from ADC that I am getting such great results. I tried Taz gel- "purging " started, and never stopped. I switched to Retin A gel- and my skin loves it ! It took a little while, but now I am on it for 5 months, and my skin keeps getting better and better. My cystic acne on neck, chin, cheeks have stopped. My marks have almost completely disappeared ( a miracle for my skin that takes forever for marks to fade). I am a little flakey- but Aquaphor seems to help. LOVE Retin-A Gel !! I guess I have the fear if I started loving my routine, and writing rave reviews, my skin will wake up one morning and say "PHYSCH" and explode. *crosses fingers *

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2008 6:57:00 AM More reviews by chajy

I am using the 025% gel form of Retin-A, my experience with this is a bit frustrating in the beginning because it caused me to have bad purging. I stayed on it since I figured oh well what could be worst than already having bad skin. After 4 months of every other third night usage my skin can now tolerate every night use although I do buffer it with Cetaphil Lotion otherwise it is still irritating to use alone.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2008 2:10:00 AM More reviews by car123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

best thing ever that I tried. It did take a long time for results to be seen. usually around several months. and i experienced the initial breakouts too.. my skin was dry, irritated, red but i kept using the treatment. my advice is if these conditions get too serious, see ur dermatologist and tell him/her to prescribe a lower dose of the product or use it less often like every other night. but to really know if it works for u is to stick it out for the whole recommended time.
but i found that after using it for a year, my skin started to break out again, i'm not sure if it was my skin getting used to it or something.
my health plan pays for it. so it's completely free =)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No