October 25, 2014 | 1479 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2008 10:57:00 AM More reviews by guio

I´m from Spain, my dermatologist tell me to buy TRETINOIN that is supposed to be the same but cheaper, like 8 €,50 ml, there are different concentrations, mine 0,50, I,ve been using it for two years now, and I think is the UNIQUE product that does something to improve my skin. It´s very hard to start with, because of the continous peeling, but It´s worthy. I´m tyred of wasting lots of money in products as expensive as Estee Lauder, Kanebo, Clinique...without any results.You´ll need a strong sunscreen, I,m buying Antelios 50 Spf50+++ fluide and easy.
I think that TRETINOIN in the States must be with doctor support, but if you get it, it´s the cheapest treatment available for wrinkles and dark marks.
Advice, be patient and don´t give up. At least you should try it for a month for any results. The peeling should finish in your second or third weeks.
Give it a try ¡¡¡¡
(Sorry for my english)
Ha pasado mucho tiempo desde que escribí esto...sigo fiel a la tretinoina,me cae la piel a trozos ! Bastante a menudo, es muy desagradable, sobretodo para los que te miran..... Pero esto más obagi blender, con hidroquinona, es lo mejor que me ha pasado en años !!!!! Tengo ya cincuenta y nadie piensa que es mi edad, jjj, eso juntó con que me mato de hambre y hago ejercicio, protección solar, y mucho sexo matutino. Por cierto, no bebo casi agua....jjj

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2008 5:12:00 PM More reviews by suejie

A little early for a full review, but so far I'm glad I decided to get on Retin-A. I've had a few bad breakouts in my earlier teen years that left scarring (I'm a squeezer. eek) but my skin has been pretty tame the last several years (as in, no major breakouts, small minor pimples once a month). My major interest in Retin-A is the evening out of skin tone (mine tends toward ruddy on cheeks and around nose) and since I'm nearing 30, the supposed youth enhancing benefits.
When I went to the Derm for a prescription, he looked at the 2 tiny zits on my chin and wanted to go for clindamycin, but I asked for Retin-A specifically. He scrutinized my face and said "Why? your skin is nice" I admitted that I wanted it mostly for the line-diminishing qualities, and he repeated that I don't need it, that my skin was fine, and why subject my skin to a harsh treatment for very minor issues. However, he said that if I really wanted it he'd give me samples and then write me rx if I still wanted to be on it.
He gave me a baggie full of Retin-A micro .04% samples. I eagerly applied it that night after washing my face and anticipated the horrors of peeling, redness, and purge breakouts. I woke up with skin that looked no different then usual, perhaps slightly less oily than typical, but nothing significant. The next 5 days were the same, wash face, dry, apply thin layer of Retin-A all over face, wake up normal. I began to fear that I needed a stronger dose or that nothing would happen. Day 6 I woke up to what looked like face dandruff. It looked gross, but I was ecstatic! haha. My face felt really dry and tight, and it was flaking off around the nose and mouth. I also started getting pimples in areas I haven't broke out in years. Nothing too frightening, just a few isolated pimples and they mostly vanished after 2 or 3 days and didn't linger as they normally would.
I thought I'd have to be in hiding the first couple months, but it's nearing week four and I've had no problem going out with a good dose of moisturizer and a light dusting of mineral foundation. I've already been complimented on my skin, especially it's "glowiness". I think the beginning of last week I did suffer from very textured looking and dry skin, but that was before I got a heavy moisturizer (ponds), now my skin is plump and radiant, only dry and flaky around my mouth, but I keep waiting for the worst of it.
I'm using Cetaphil to wash because my normal facewash is stinging the skin, I use a washcloth to help with the flakes, and then I apply Retin-A (I use about 2-3 pea sized dabs, even though I was instructed to use 1. I can't spread 1 dab all over the areas I want to treat). After 15 minutes to 30 minutes I apply Ponds dry skin creme and my skin kind of soaks it right up, but my face stays shiny for about an hour.
I read that Retin-A has shown good promise in the area of hair-loss or thinness. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I hope so because I wouldn't mind having thicker eyebrows.

***UPDATE*****5/22/08
It's been almost two months and I've been using Retin-A micro .04% daily. It's helped tremendously with my ruddy uneven skin-tone. For the first time in my adult life I don't have perma rosy cheeks and nostril area, just smooth even plump skin. I still get minor flakies under my nose and at the corners of my mouth occasionally, but they soothe relatively easily with a rich moisturizer. If I'm too vigorous with exfoliation I get a bright red face that stings for a couple hours, but it's smooth and soft.
I recently visited with relatives and the inquiry and compliments about my skin were nonstop. Now I've never been one to have remarkable skin so I know this is due to Retin-A. I do want to give credit to EverydayMinerals matte mineral makeup too, but I'm wearing much less makeup than usual now that my skin is practically perfect. One relative even commented that my skin looks like it did when I was a baby. Even with no makeup on I was told that my face was "radiant" and "flawless". Love love love.

I think I might be going through a second purge cycle though, not that the first was bad (I think I got a total of 6 new zits, which were small and didn't linger). Right now I have two comedones that seemed to have popped up out of nowhere and aren't the typical type or place I usually get them (right smack in the middle of my forehead and one on the corner of my mouth). The zits seem to show up, pop themselves, crust over, and then just go away in a couple days instead of lingering and throbbing on my face.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2008 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Bridgid8

I am reviewing th generic tretinoin .025% cream for treating mild acne/clogged pores

After 5 long months of using this product, I am finally seeing the results. I was worried that the cream was causing problems but my derm kept telling me to have patience, and he was right. I did not have the peeling many experience but I did purge- for a while, which was frustrating. My pores are now clear and I have not had a cyst in over a month. It was well worth the wait!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2008 3:40:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was given a script for this for acne, and eased into things slowly. I washed my face, applied a light moisturizer and then a half hour later, applied a very thin layer of Retin A gel. I used this every other day for some time before trying to use it everyday. I gave it the usual 3 months...and in that amount of time my skin became VERY angry with me. I was breaking out more in places I usually didnt, my skin was red and raw feeling and my pores continued to stay clogged. After 3 months, I finally gave up. While this is supposed to be an anti aging treatment as well as an acne treatment, I found the texture of my skin to be much rougher, the fine lines increased and my skin never cleared up. I also did not like having to wait a half hour to put this on after I washed my face. I normally get ready for bed, wash up and am asleep shortly after...I found myself having to go wash my face a half hour early and then wait till I could put this on. It just threw me off, and there were nights I forgot to wash my face early, and then I ended up going to bed later than I wanted to. It just wasnt very convienient and didn't end up helping my acne at all. I feel now, 6 months later, that my skin looks better than when I was using it. I still am getting breakouts but my face feels and looks better than when I was on this. Still dealing with clogged pores and have yet to find a way to get them cleared out.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by LucaBaby

I never really had acne as a teenager...just a few spots here and there on my forehead. I stopped taking birth control pills about 5 months ago and that was when I started breaking out more and getting a lot of comedones on my forehead. It really wasn't that bad but I was so used to seeing clear skin that it really bothered me. I was prescribed tretinoin cream 0.05% which is the generic for retin-a. I knew there would be an initial purging phase but I was not prepared at all for what happened. I was breaking out in areas that I never had a blemish before such as jawline and especially on both cheeks. It's been 2 months now and I notice that I am no longer getting new blemishes and if there seems to be a new one appearing it pretty much disappears over night. A lot of the old blemishes are drying up and leaving little dark spots which should fade with the help of tretinoin also. I still have some stubborn blackheads and whiteheads on the cheeks but I am told those will eventually be pushed further out and get washed away. There were days I looked in the mirror and would feel like crying wonder to myself why I ever complained before and what was I putting on my face? But lately I've noticed that it's gotten better and the areas where my skin is clear is definitely smooth and glowing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will get better and better each day and I will have clear skin again. I will update again at the 4 month mark since everyone seems to stress that that is when you really see results.
UPDATE 7/1/08
It's now been over 4 months since I started tretinoin. The purging phase is long gone and the dark spots leftover from previous breakouts are fading quickly. I still get a couple of small blemishes during that time of the month but nothing noticeable and it disappears quickly. I haven't noticed a reduction in pore size but my pores are clean and unclogged. The texture overall is smooth and I do see a healthy glow. I conceal the old acne scars with mineral concealer and lightly dust my entire face with mineral powder. I don't need a lot of coverage and my skin looks almost as good as before I got off the pill. I'm pretty happy with the results so far and will continue using tretinoin. I know it's supposed to only get better and better so I'm excited to see what my skin will look like in a couple of months or a year. My aunt has used retin-a for over 10 years and now at the age of 43 she has no wrinkles or visible pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by rommel1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There is hope after all.

I am 37 with adult acne. My doctor gave this to me and at first I thought it was a big mistake. He told me it is for long term use and I would not see results until 2 or 3 months and it will peek at 12 months. He was right.

At first my face burned, had patches of dry skin, and pimples. My skin was drying out in spots and I thought it was pre- aging me as well. I was discouraged. I put Eurcerin lotion on after I apply the retin a. It really did take a while. I had this broken out "torn" up (patches of dry/oily) bumpy skin when beginning this.

I started to notice some fine lines going away and smoothing, and that was great. My doctor said it would take a while for the blemishes (scars- the dark ones) to fade. My whole left cheek is clear. I have not had clear skin like this in FOREVER.

My blackheads on my nose- disappeared. I used to have "open" pores on my nose with black heads- gone. But my pores on my cheeks are still "open" just not as bad.

My oily complexion- I would have a puddle on my t-zone- has gone. My makeup used to get greasy just after one hour I put it on. Not anymore. My oil is under control. I no longer have "thicker" skin sections. I know it is weird my I would have areas of harder thicker skin.

It does not create miracles but after 4 months of this- I am very excited. I still have left over dark spots (I am a slow healer) that have faded really good. I am actually wearing a thin foundation and it is covering my face well. I no longer need a heavy foundation.

Stick with this. I broke out with Pro active- the sulfer- I have a reaction to.

My face no longer is dry like when I first started with this- but I always use a moisturizer after i put it on. I do stay out of the sun- like my doctor said to.

I think it is worth it. Go through the "uglies" and see what happens on the other side.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2008 8:11:00 PM More reviews by Samaraeve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using this product 5 weeks ago. I'm 28, I have break outs very occasionally. I am using this product for anti-aging purposes.

I use olive oil as my daily moisturizer and that as helped a lot with the dryness. In the last few days the redness and peeling has become a little more noticeable so I've tried two things: I used an AHA mask which helped a LOT. It burned like crazy for the first minute, but then it was fine. Also I've been using Vaseline during the day, which looks kinda greasy but makes the redness/chapping go away.

My daily routine:
morning: Cetaphil, AHA toner, olive oil, 60 SPF sunscreen (and vaseline, if needed)

Evening: cetaphil, olive oil (wait an hour) apply Retin-A 0.05% (I apply to neck and chest as well. My mother always reminds me to protect my chest as that ages too!)

I am noticing an astonishing improvement in my skin already. Good luck everyone, I hope it works for you

UPDATE: I replaced the olive oil with Weleda Sea Buckthorn oil. My skin looks amazing.

UPDATE 2: My skin got into a weird rut for almost 6 months. It didn't look terrible, but it wasn't that great either. I realized the problem: I was also using Benzol Peroxide every other day (I read you should never combine them). Once I discontinued that, within days I FINALLY got the crazy good skin every one claims retin-a gives them.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/27/2008 6:28:00 PM More reviews by cupcake_sarah

I've been prescribed Retin A by two different dermatologists and it has made my skin react badly both times. The first time I was on it was when I was 15. It made my skin so red and caused myself to break out even more. Last year I went to see a dermatologist because I was having frequent breakouts. She prescribed me Retin A, and I was a little leery, but thought that it might work this time around since I was older. I was wrong though. My face became irritated and broke out and I also developed scaly skin that flaked. It was awful. I tried reducing it to every other day and that didn't help either. I will never use this stuff again!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/27/2008 12:22:00 AM More reviews by DeniseN

I have used Retin A in the past but never stuck with it. I just recently started up again based on reviews and I am going to try to stick with it.

2 weeks in now, I notice the 3 blemishes near my chin have disappeared almost, and one looks like it might scar :( (I'll update). I caught a glimpse in a mirror today and did a double take! My skin already looks more even toned, clearer.

The first week I experienced minor flaking on my nose and around my mouth (be careful of lips!) I cracked the corner of my mouth! So, I am now alternating every other day with it. I will update, seems promising.

UPDATE: worked for a while, I kept waiting for PERFECT skin...didn't happen and I got really bad peeling skin on my nose and chin all the time!!! Moving on to MD Formulations, my skin already looks better :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by CelesteB

I use Retin-A Micro.

I do not have an acne problem but use this as an anti-aging tool... I have not experienced redness, dryness or flaking... yet. If anything happens I will be editing this post. ;-)