Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 - Oil Free

3.5

Active Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate. Ingredients- Water, Disiloxane, Peg-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Jojoba Esters, Magnesium Stearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Squalane, Laryl PCA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnammate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearrate, Disodium Edta, PPG-15, Stearyl Ether, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77492), Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Iron Oxide (CI 77499)

on 5/4/2010 10:46:00 PM

Excellent product. I have dry skin (not to sure why I got the oil free version, but oh well) and if I use this as my only moisturizer, it looks dry and cakey. However, I use this after my regular sunscreen/moisturizer, and my skin looks great. I have pretty good skin, just a bit of redness on my cheeks, and this evens it out without looking fake. I generally follow with a light dusting of powder and it lasts all day. I find the coverage to be more then your typical TM, but so much like a foundation that I have to spend time blending (which I hate). I literally just rub it in like a moisturizer. Also, this is on of the few TM's (or anything for that matter) that is pale enough for me. And it doesn't turn orange after a few hours which is another annoying problem I always seem to have. Price is a bit outrageous, but I will buy again unless I can find a cheaper product of equal quality.

on 4/28/2010 7:36:00 PM

I received a generous sample from Laura Mercier. For years, I've been wanting to try this product and believe me when I said I wanted to love this product. It covered well but was sheer enough so it felt comfortable. I usually don't wear foundation and find that when I do, it cakes on very easily. However, this tinted moisturizer felt like it provided flattering coverage without drying out my skin.

Now why don't I like it? Everytime I use it I notice that I break out exactly where I applied it. The first time it was around my cheeks and nose... and the second time I applied it all over my face... and BAM! Broke out!! It was horrible. Each time I only used it for 2-3 days and I broke out with all these whiteheads. I am pretty sure this is what caused my breakouts because once I stop using it and the blemishes heal, no new ones sprout. So unfortunately for me I don't think this moisturizer is suitable for my skin... however it is still very expensive so I don't know if I would've continued using it regardless.

on 4/28/2010 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This is the first face make-up I have ever used, and I don't see why I would try anything else. It has good, light coverage and makes my skin look even. Plus, I don't think it has broken me out!

I've been using this tinted moisturizer five days a week for about a month now, and I'm loving it. It provides good coverage and yet still looks very natural (i.e., I don't look like I am wearing makeup). My routine is to moisturize my face (with a stand alone moisturizer), and then wait 10-15 minutes for the moisturizer to set. Then, I apply the tinted moisturizer. The MA at Laura Mercier suggested that in order to get better coverage with less product, I should pat in the TM instead of rubbing it into my skin. I found that this trick works really well! Over the areas where I want more coverage -- like on my cheeks where I have rosacea -- I draw one or two streaks of TM with my finger. Then I spread it by patting it into my skin. Works like a charm!

It doesn't bother me that I use a separate moisturizer beneath the TM, and I found that waiting 10-15 minutes for the moisturizer to set makes a difference -- my skin looks less dry and flaky.

For me, this TM doesn't serve as a full coverage foundation. I don't expect it to, so I use an actual foundation if I want full coverage. For the days when I want to keep my routine simple and fast, this TM works really well! I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

on 4/26/2010 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this product, I used it repeatedly for a year with different combinations of products before finally realizing that the problem was the tinted moisturizer, not everything else. I live in a humid climate and have very oily skin and this product just exacerbated those problems, after only 2 hours I was desperately using blotting sheets and by noon I was completely without makeup and oily.

I've recently switched to MUFE HD and I'm pretty happy, not sure if it is HG, but it's the best so far!

on 4/24/2010 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm not a fan of liquid foundations and tinted moisturizers...But I wanted to try this one and if it can change my mind about tinted moisturizers, it did!
I'm now a fan of LM's tinted moisturizer and in my 2nd tube. I think this is great starters for those who's aiming for liquid foundation like me. This has good coverage, very light and natural looking, absorbs quickly, easy to blend (clean fingers are the best tool), and I simply love it.
Great for a quick run at the grocery, walk in the park, everyday wear because it's so light. It has SPF too!

on 4/17/2010 10:05:00 PM

UPDATE: So much for HG...this stuff melts off my face in 3 hours. I had pictures taken of me this past week and my face looked awful! Back to Sephora it went...such a shame :(...

Well, well, well. I never thought I would find something to pull me away from my beloved Make Up Forever HD foundation, but to my delight, this could be my new HG. Quick look:

Pros:
-Buildable coverage
-Need only a very small amount for everyday
-Very natural-looking and feels light on the skin
-Hydrating...gone at last are the days of weird patchy spots on my cheeks and nose
-SPF20 = yay!
-The most matte tinted moisturizer I've tried, and I have oily combo skin.
-Great packaging. It's a squeeze bottle and very easy to control the amount you want.
-With primer and powder, lasts a very long time
-Better deal than my MUFE...MUFE was $40 for 1oz., this is $42 for 1.7oz.

Cons:
-Primer and powder are A MUST! This can get expensive, so buy the $65 kit at sephora to get more bang for your buck. However, when I run out the kit, I'm going to have to drop a disgusting amount of money for the full size stuff
-Very wet and sticky when it first goes on. However, it is a true moisturizer, and like all moisturizers, it takes a bit to set in. When they applied it at Sephora, they PACKED on the stuff (far more than I wanted/needed), and it took 2 hours to absorb. Until it absorbs, smudging is a VERY big danger!
-Would not recommend for special occasions or clubbing...better for everyday.

on 4/15/2010 6:30:00 PM

I am going to start this review out by saying that there is no such thing as a matte tinted moisturizer, especially for us oily/combo skin gals. The reason I am a TM addict is that I am done with heavy foundations and the way they make my skin look (mineral makeup, liquid, powder, etc). Those other foundations cut it for me back in my 20s, but now I am a convert to TM to try and keep my skin not looking like a makeup mask. I will dot concealer over my imperfections instead of layering on foundation. With that said, this is A LOT more "matte" than most TMs that I've tried. I never tried the original, so I got this on in "nude", which ended up actually being a perfect match for my skin. A little goes a long way, so the first time I put it on I think I over did it and I could see why so many gals say it looks too dewy. This stuff still will make me shiny mid-day and all I have to do it blot and I am ready to go. I would say this gives me light to medium coverage (based on the layering). I actually don't mind the smell at all. It smells like sunscreen which smells like summer to me!

My ONLY gripe is that after wearing this for prolonged periods of time, I do notice my face breaking out in some places with little bumps. But for the time being, I haven't found anything that hasn't caused my skin to do that.....or it could be other factors like pregnancy, my gluten sensitivity, etc. If this ends up breaking me out horribly, I will definitely come back and change my review.....but after two weeks time, I think I can deal.

UPDATE: This is definitely the culprit of my breakouts. Every day 2-3 more pimples. I stopped using it for ONE day and switched back to Bobbi Brown and did not have any additional breakouts. BOO!

on 4/9/2010 9:32:00 AM

I have pretty good skin but some redness around my nose and chin. This is really easy to apply (I use my fingers and apply on top of my normal moisturiser) and instantly evens out my skin in an undetectable way. I've had compliments whilst wearing this, such as how fresh faced I look, and how my skin is glowing. It lasts pretty well without powder on top and doesn't ever make my skin oily or dry. However, I do think that there is too big a difference between porcelain (the lightest shade) and nude (the next lightest) as I'm in between and have to mix the two. Porcelain is so white it can make me look ghostly, and nude leaves an orange tidemark unless I have a tan! Definitely try instore before you buy on line.

I read really good reviews about this product so decided to splurge & spend $42 on it.
It is sooooo not worth $42. It did even out my skin tone a little but I have a little rosacea & could still see all of it after applying the product. YES, I know this is not a foundation...it's a tinted moisturizer. However, I was hoping it would cover a little more than it did.
It has a sunscreen smell to it but it goes away fairly quickly. My skin felt a little oily after applying it despite it being oil-free.
I didn't see much difference between my Sonia Kashuk Tinted Moisturizer & this expensive version.