Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 - Oil Free

3.5

Active Ingredients: Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate. Ingredients- Water, Disiloxane, Peg-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Phenoxyethanol, Boron Nitride, Jojoba Esters, Magnesium Stearate, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Squalane, Laryl PCA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tetradibutyl Pentaerithrityl Hydroxyhydrocinnammate, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearrate, Disodium Edta, PPG-15, Stearyl Ether, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxide (CI 77492), Iron Oxide (CI 77491), Iron Oxide (CI 77499)

I've been using this tinted moisturizer five days a week for about a month now, and I'm loving it. It provides good coverage and yet still looks very natural (i.e., I don't look like I am wearing makeup). My routine is to moisturize my face (with a stand alone moisturizer), and then wait 10-15 minutes for the moisturizer to set. Then, I apply the tinted moisturizer. The MA at Laura Mercier suggested that in order to get better coverage with less product, I should pat in the TM instead of rubbing it into my skin. I found that this trick works really well! Over the areas where I want more coverage -- like on my cheeks where I have rosacea -- I draw one or two streaks of TM with my finger. Then I spread it by patting it into my skin. Works like a charm!

It doesn't bother me that I use a separate moisturizer beneath the TM, and I found that waiting 10-15 minutes for the moisturizer to set makes a difference -- my skin looks less dry and flaky.

For me, this TM doesn't serve as a full coverage foundation. I don't expect it to, so I use an actual foundation if I want full coverage. For the days when I want to keep my routine simple and fast, this TM works really well! I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

on 4/26/2010 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this product, I used it repeatedly for a year with different combinations of products before finally realizing that the problem was the tinted moisturizer, not everything else. I live in a humid climate and have very oily skin and this product just exacerbated those problems, after only 2 hours I was desperately using blotting sheets and by noon I was completely without makeup and oily.

I've recently switched to MUFE HD and I'm pretty happy, not sure if it is HG, but it's the best so far!

on 4/24/2010 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm not a fan of liquid foundations and tinted moisturizers...But I wanted to try this one and if it can change my mind about tinted moisturizers, it did!
I'm now a fan of LM's tinted moisturizer and in my 2nd tube. I think this is great starters for those who's aiming for liquid foundation like me. This has good coverage, very light and natural looking, absorbs quickly, easy to blend (clean fingers are the best tool), and I simply love it.
Great for a quick run at the grocery, walk in the park, everyday wear because it's so light. It has SPF too!

on 4/17/2010 10:05:00 PM

UPDATE: So much for HG...this stuff melts off my face in 3 hours. I had pictures taken of me this past week and my face looked awful! Back to Sephora it went...such a shame :(...

Well, well, well. I never thought I would find something to pull me away from my beloved Make Up Forever HD foundation, but to my delight, this could be my new HG. Quick look:

Pros:
-Buildable coverage
-Need only a very small amount for everyday
-Very natural-looking and feels light on the skin
-Hydrating...gone at last are the days of weird patchy spots on my cheeks and nose
-SPF20 = yay!
-The most matte tinted moisturizer I've tried, and I have oily combo skin.
-Great packaging. It's a squeeze bottle and very easy to control the amount you want.
-With primer and powder, lasts a very long time
-Better deal than my MUFE...MUFE was $40 for 1oz., this is $42 for 1.7oz.

Cons:
-Primer and powder are A MUST! This can get expensive, so buy the $65 kit at sephora to get more bang for your buck. However, when I run out the kit, I'm going to have to drop a disgusting amount of money for the full size stuff
-Very wet and sticky when it first goes on. However, it is a true moisturizer, and like all moisturizers, it takes a bit to set in. When they applied it at Sephora, they PACKED on the stuff (far more than I wanted/needed), and it took 2 hours to absorb. Until it absorbs, smudging is a VERY big danger!
-Would not recommend for special occasions or clubbing...better for everyday.

on 4/15/2010 6:30:00 PM

I am going to start this review out by saying that there is no such thing as a matte tinted moisturizer, especially for us oily/combo skin gals. The reason I am a TM addict is that I am done with heavy foundations and the way they make my skin look (mineral makeup, liquid, powder, etc). Those other foundations cut it for me back in my 20s, but now I am a convert to TM to try and keep my skin not looking like a makeup mask. I will dot concealer over my imperfections instead of layering on foundation. With that said, this is A LOT more "matte" than most TMs that I've tried. I never tried the original, so I got this on in "nude", which ended up actually being a perfect match for my skin. A little goes a long way, so the first time I put it on I think I over did it and I could see why so many gals say it looks too dewy. This stuff still will make me shiny mid-day and all I have to do it blot and I am ready to go. I would say this gives me light to medium coverage (based on the layering). I actually don't mind the smell at all. It smells like sunscreen which smells like summer to me!

My ONLY gripe is that after wearing this for prolonged periods of time, I do notice my face breaking out in some places with little bumps. But for the time being, I haven't found anything that hasn't caused my skin to do that.....or it could be other factors like pregnancy, my gluten sensitivity, etc. If this ends up breaking me out horribly, I will definitely come back and change my review.....but after two weeks time, I think I can deal.

UPDATE: This is definitely the culprit of my breakouts. Every day 2-3 more pimples. I stopped using it for ONE day and switched back to Bobbi Brown and did not have any additional breakouts. BOO!

on 4/9/2010 9:32:00 AM

I have pretty good skin but some redness around my nose and chin. This is really easy to apply (I use my fingers and apply on top of my normal moisturiser) and instantly evens out my skin in an undetectable way. I've had compliments whilst wearing this, such as how fresh faced I look, and how my skin is glowing. It lasts pretty well without powder on top and doesn't ever make my skin oily or dry. However, I do think that there is too big a difference between porcelain (the lightest shade) and nude (the next lightest) as I'm in between and have to mix the two. Porcelain is so white it can make me look ghostly, and nude leaves an orange tidemark unless I have a tan! Definitely try instore before you buy on line.

I read really good reviews about this product so decided to splurge & spend $42 on it.
It is sooooo not worth $42. It did even out my skin tone a little but I have a little rosacea & could still see all of it after applying the product. YES, I know this is not a foundation...it's a tinted moisturizer. However, I was hoping it would cover a little more than it did.
It has a sunscreen smell to it but it goes away fairly quickly. My skin felt a little oily after applying it despite it being oil-free.
I didn't see much difference between my Sonia Kashuk Tinted Moisturizer & this expensive version.

I am NC30 in MAC and use the TM shade in Sand. It is a tad bit dark for me, but I noticed that once the product dries on the skin, it actually turns a little lighter and matches my skin a bit better. This has an SPF of 20 and it smells like sunscreen but doesn't linger too much. The coverage is sheer - I can still see my redness and acne scars. But Iately I've been mixing this product with my MAC Select Cover-Up concealer and using a stippling brush to apply it and the results are phenomenal! I don't have to use as much concealer as I usual do (I apply it all over my cheeks where there's redness) and it blends much more easily when mixed with the TM. The product feels a little sticky once on the face, so I have to use setting powder. However, even with setting powder, the TM loves to transfer. I would hug my boyfriend and there'd be a splotchy makeup blob on his shirt! Although for now I'm liking the results, since I mix the product with concealer, I'm sure I can find a cheaper alternative for this method.

on 4/2/2010 9:08:00 PM

I wanted to love this, gave it ample opportunity to prove itself, but I just couldn't get it to work for me. While it does provide great coverage and looks great when first applied, it makes my skin feel uncomfortably oily as the day wears on and tends to make my face really shiny sometimes (even after a light dusting of blot powder). By day's end, all the product has melted off my face, so it's not very long lasting. I would not recommend this if you have even the slightest bit of oily skin. I also find the colouring to be slightly awkward -- not quite, but *bordering* orangey (I have it in Nude because Porcelain is too light for me and Sand is too dark). I can still get away with wearing Nude as long as I don't over apply. They do, however, have a new shade in Bisque, which sounds like it would be a better fit for my skintone. I won't be repurchasing though. I think I'll go back to my trusty Merle Norman tinted moisturizer after this.

on 4/1/2010 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I love love love this product. I was looking for something to wear everyday that had really good coverage but was still light. I was getting really tired of wearing a full face of foundation every day. One of my friends suggested this product and after hesitating a bit because of the price I bit the bullet and bought it. They recently came out with a few new shades which was great because previously I was in between two. I purchased the Caramel shade and have been very impressed. I'll be buying this again in the future for sure.