November 28, 2014 | 1893 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by MissLivia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My review is for Garden of Wisdom's Virgin Coconut Oil. Apparently, virgin coconut oil is NOT comedogenic; refined or fractionated coconut oil IS. I can attest to this because the virgin coconut oil im using has NOT broken me out, in fact, it has actually helped reduce some bumps on my face (note that my skin is definately not acne prone, just a few occasional bumps, so YMMV if you have acne prone/oily skin.) I also like using VCO on my hair as a deep conditioner...works just as well as the olive oil i was using. I was hoping that the coconut oil would help with the coldsore i developed (researched that VCO has anti-viral properties), but it didn't seem to have a massive effect (certainly didnt hurt though). perhaps i didnt use it early enough...? all in all, im really liking coconut oil. i will definately continue to use it!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by alicemcc

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I heard that coconut oil is great for the hair and since i have one through two tubs using it as a deep conditioning treatment. I comb a quarter of a cup through my hair before bed and leave it on overnight. My hair looks healthier and frizz free after washing, however like other people have said make sure you wash your hair twice. I think the product is also working for hair growth, i have damaged hair which takes a while to grow and since i started using this a month ago my hair has grown at least 3 inches!

Cant wait to try this product for other purposes!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by celiaj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yum yum, excellent on toast with honey and also very good on my previously acne prone skin. I was really surprised that this didn't break me out, because just about every other moisturiser I have ever tried has. Strangely it cleared up my few remaining spots, while soothing my skin.

It's about £15 for a large glass jar in the UK, and a little goes a long way so this is pretty good value for money.

Other uses include as a body lotion (although my body is not so willing to absorb it and I am left feeling oily) and as a deep conditioning hair treatment. Also helps reduce cholesterol and very good to cook with, if cooking is your thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by djtorrey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I haven't used coconut oil as a beauty product, but since reading all these reviews, I'll give it a try. But I did want to mention that Vitacost sells it at discount. I order it on that site fairly regularly and use it in cooking. One recipe: boil or steam whole sweet potatoes, then slice into 1/4-inch round slices and fry in coconut oil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2012 10:22:00 AM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just a few months ago my family has gone on a coconut oil frenzie. My grandmother has alzheimers and there has has been research done that shows that consuming coconut oil (Idk how much) can help slow the progression of alzheimers; so my mom (who thinks she may develop this disease since her mother has it) went to the store and bought several jars. She cooks with it, but I use it for different reasons:
-- It makes a great tanning oil!
-- I pour some in my bath water and use it for a moisturizer soak
-- mixed with avocado, it makes a great deep conditioning treatment

Coconut oil is very comedogenic, so I don't use it on my acne-prone face. Other than that, it works really well at softening skin and hair. (And the price for a jar of it might be a little expensive, but it has alot of applications, and the jars we get are pretty big, so in the long run, it's not that expensive).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by lovepink82407

Coconut oil is my all time favorite product!!! I use it in my hair over night about 3 times a week and I use it on my skin after showering. The results are incredible. My hair has been restored and I LOVE how shiny it is after I wash the oil out. I also use it on my face to prevent future wrinkles (Im only 20 but it's never too early to prevent aging skin, haha). All in all, coconut oil is pure magic that I will buy again and again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2012 10:24:00 AM More reviews by shannon804

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My grandmother and generations before her used this to condition their hair and as a body lotion. When we were babies, she would massage us with coconut oil every morning before our baths. I used to think she was crazy for using coconut oil in her hair, but now I love it. I put a tablespoon in my hair once a week, focusing on the dry ends. After that, I go for a walk, jog, or make dinner. Then I rinse it out in the shower and shampoo. It's repaired my split ends, made my hair softer, and reduced my frizzies. I also rub a small amount into my skin right before I shave to give me a closer shave and moisturize my legs. If you want a bargain, look for coconut oil at an Indian store-- it's usually much cheaper than the stuff you'll get at a health store.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/14/2012 12:06:00 AM More reviews by rosa2009

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Update: So I still use this product for deep conditioning treatment...and its till going great..my hair grows a little bit faster and is now stronger :)

But I started using coconut oil as part of my cleansing routine for removing makeup...and its a god send. At first I was leery about using this to remove all my make up but I read wonderful things about what it does for the skin and I wanted something to remove my makeup better.

So I would use this to remove my eye make up first rub it in lightly and it comes off like a dream. Then take about a teaspoon or so and massage it into my face and neck for about a minute or so. Get a wet warm/hot wash cloth let it set on my face about 20 seconds and bam removes ALL MY MAKE UP, follow up with my natural cleanser with baking soda. I do this process every other day, using regular cleanser on other days. And use a little bit of coconut oil to moisturize my face instead of moisturizer.

My skin hasn't been this great in a long time...and the process is so easy and cheap!!!!!! At first it did make my face break out a little bit but that's because its bringing up all that gunk that's been clogging up my pores. Pores are smaller, acne scars are FADING, and my skin is silky smooth but not greasy! Plus this is all natural and it cut a few products out of my routine which is always nice :)

So I heard a lot of buzz about this oil....I have never really put oils into my hair but I wanted to try one that I could put in while my hair was dry before I shower (I only shower at night usually cause bathroom is taken up in the morning) so this is a major plus for me..I just focus mainly on my ends.
I use only a little bit (probably about a quarter size) and I do have a little bit of dry scalp so after my ends I put whatever is left on my hands on my scalp by doing a little scalp massage. Leave it in for an hour or two and then shower (if scalp is really oily skip the scalp thing and don't overuse on the oil) once I'm done I add like literally dime size to my ends with my leave in conditioner.
The next morning I woke up with very soft and silky hair. And less frizzies :) I see less split ends and my ends don't look so dry!
As a moisturizer I don't think I'd use its too oily for my taste but for my hair its a great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 5:24:00 PM More reviews by abmnik

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

Love love love coconut oil. Definitely a HG product. Use it to deep condition my hair (I apply it before I wash my hair and leave it in for a few hours). And I use a tiny bit after I wash my hair for some moisture and frizz control. Occasionally I use it to take of my makeup but I wouldn't really recommend that if you have combination/oily skin like mine, it does work though, might be lovely for dry skin.
Coconut oil is far better than the commercial hair oils you pay an arm and a leg for in stores. Do not get those cone filled "argon oil" products, I'm certain argon oil works wonderfully but not when it is the 7th ingredient on some 30 dollar one ounce bottle of grease. Anyhow, coconut oil is wonderful. Helped restore my damages, fried hair back to its lustrous thick self.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by mmdouble

I love this stuff! It leaves my hair so soft soft soft and shiny—I can comb my entire hair without finding any tangles. It smells yummy too!