August 2, 2014 | 1218 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2012 2:26:00 PM More reviews by karlayvonne

This stuff is AMAZING for your hair!! Best deep conditioner. Hair looks healthy, thicker, and grows faster!! Love it!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2012 3:50:00 PM More reviews by catherinesophia

I feel that coconut oil is the holy grail of beauty products. I started using it a few months ago, and I use it for everything. I put it on my hair, my skin, and I cook with it too. I feel it is a much better moisturizer than the petroleum products that I have been using for years. I put it on before I put my sunblock on, and my face feels hydrated and wonderful all day long. I also put it in my hair the night before I plan to shampoo, and my ends feel so much stronger and healthier than before. I cannot stress enough how amazing this single product is. I have been trying to use more natural alternatives, and this is my favorite product. I can't believe how well it works, and how cheap it is. I wish I had found this years ago.

UPDATE: I stopped using this under my sunblock, but I have instead started using it on my arms and legs after my shower. This is my HG body moisturizer :)

UPDATE: If you are going the no-poo route, you don't need to use coconut oil. Your natural oils will protect your hair, and you wont be able to wash the coconut oil out of your hair if you aren't using detergents. I found this out the hard way. I now just use the coconut oil as a moisturizer for my skin :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 9:20:00 AM More reviews by allthecolours

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Coconut oil is a great multi-purpose product, I've been using it for about 5-6 years now. I use it on my hair once a week, rubbing a small amount onto dry hair and leaving it in for an hour or so before shampooing and conditioning. My hair feels silky soft and smooth once it dries. Massive reduction in split ends, my hair looks shiny and doesn't feel dry.

Great to use as a body moisturizer as well. A little goes a long way - it leaves my skin very soft and hydrated, yet doesn't feel heavy or greasy. I also use it when cooking food...tastes great and is nice and healthy!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2012 8:42:00 AM More reviews by PISALISA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Ladies... Put down that Moroccan Oil! Put down that expensive conditioner! Put down that expensive serum!
Coconut oil will blow your mind! I have super damaged, thick hair and this stuff has literally made my hair softer and stronger than it has ever been!
First, drench your hair in the oil before shampooing. Let it soak in for about 20 minutes and then shampoo it twice. YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE ANY OTHER PRODUCT BEFORE BLOW DRYING YOUR HAIR! That's right! No argan oil or detanglers or serums! After you blow dry and flatiron (if desired) then simply take an amount of coconut oil equal to about the size of a pea and lightly smooth it onto your ends. AMAZING RESULTS! I'm so mad that I only just discovered this miracle product! It tastes yummy too!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/2/2012 6:46:00 PM More reviews by ChickenBear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was so excited to try this natural, cheap multi purpose oil after reading the glowing recs on MUA. I know from personal experience that coconut oil can have a very positive effect on the skin because for a while I was eating one heaping teaspoon a day. And my zits cleared up and my skin was glowing!
I have, however, been really dissapointed with it as a topical skin treatment.

I've tried it in my hair, as a shaving cream and a makeup remover. I was impressed with how easily my makeup came off after slathering this on. But a few minutes later I could have sworn that my skin felt a bit raw/tingly and that I could almost see red irritations on both cheeks. Still it's good to use in a pinch if you've got nothing else.

But the conditioner and the shaving 'cream' is where I really ran into problems.

Shaving with this stuff is awful. Unlike regular foam which just breaks down quickly, this stuff is really WAXY and it builds up on your skin AND in the blade. It's gross. And I didn't get a good shave with it even though the razor was pretty new.
Also because of the waxiness you have to soap up your legs about 50 times after shaving ...so they can feel normal again.

But I saved the best for last. I decided to put this on my hair IN the shower, as a conditioner. Then I rinsed it out, multiple times. Then I dried it. It was a greasy mess. Fine. I was going to bed anyways. Maybe in the morning after rinsing it out again, I'd have awesome lush locks?!

Nope. What I did get, for sleeping with a hair full of nut oil (don't look at me like that I rinsed and rinsed and rinsed!) was a terrible case of cystic bacne and front-ne for that matter. All the spots were exactly where my hair hits length wise. You do the math.

So now we know. Good to eat but bad, BAD things can happen when you slather this all over your body.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by katesloan

I started using coconut oil because it was recommended to me a lot when I was a member of an online haircare community. I would oil my hair's length liberally, a few hours before shampooing, wrap it in a hot towel, and then shampoo it out. It made my hair super soft and shiny.

After a while, I started using coconut oil as my face moisturizer. For this purpose, it is GREAT. It doesn't clog my pores, and it leaves my skin super soft and hydrated.

I usually wash my face at night, and then rub a pea-sized amount of coconut oil on my face, especially the drier spots. I can even use it around my eyes without irritation.

By the time I wake up in the morning, much of the oil has been absorbed, but if any excess remains, I can just wipe it off. It leaves my skin glowy and radiant.

Sometimes I stray, wanting to try out a more "glamorous" moisturizer, but I always go back to virgin coconut oil in the end!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by jumpingjack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Green

How much do I love coconut oil? I hadn't tried it til recently, but my hair was breaking thanks to too much straightening, and none of my usual masks were doing the trick. Really recommend this as both a hair mask (I melt it in my hands then put it on dry hair, pop on a plastic cap and a beanie hat for an hour, then wash it off with shampoo - two washes - and condition as normal) and for applying lightly on my cheeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by Greidah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

For anyone suffering from dandruff or dry scalp this stuff is a godsend! I have very bad dandruff and have pretty much try everything: shampoos (reg and prescription), treatments, diet changes (cod liver oil = tres gross) and nothing really worked. Who would have thought the solution would cost me $8!
For me I apply this to my scalp at night. I apply pretty generously, going over problem spots at least twice. I then coat the ends of my hair. I cover with one of those towel wraps and leave it on overnight. I rinse it off in the morning. It takes two rinses to get it all out, try only one and you will have greasy hair. But this works! I only use it once a week and as of 3rd treatment NO FLAKES! I live in Canada and by the end of January my scalp is usually a mess but this morning NO FLAKES! Yep very excited. :)
It also works as a leave in conditioner. Warm a small amount on your hands to make it liquid and apply the oil to your ends. It is especially good on my long wavy hair as when it cools it provides mild hold on my waves.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/16/2012 1:04:00 PM More reviews by cuppajean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been reading the raves here and have tried this. I do love it for my skin. I question if it causes me some breakouts on my face, but it does make my skin extremely soft. It smooths out wrinkles and I love to use it for a couple of weeks prior to an event I want my skin to look radiant. It helps my makeup go on smoother too. I love it all over my body..it makes my skin so soft and smooth.

I did want to share this with those who may want to try it on their hair. I was using this in my hair and was very excited due to the reviews here. I did it for about 2-3 weeks. I would put it in my dry hair and then shampoo it out. I noticed some increased frizziness (which I thought was maybe due to using less products), and it was confirmed by my hairdresser that my hair needed a good cut. I have course, somewhat curly and frizzy hair. My hairdresser cut quite a bit off (I was letting it grow) after this trial. She told me with certain hair types this (Or EVOO) does not penetrate the shaft, but sits on it and does nothing. She did not equate my extra fizziness and split ends to this, but I wonder!

So, if you have course/dry hair just pay extra attention. My hair is now doing great with keratin.

If you are prone to skin breakouts take note. However, I do love how it works to soften my skin and plump it up. I think it fades some scarring from blemishes. But I am wondering if it clogs my pores. So, I am just using it and watching carefully. I soon want to ad it to my diet. Overall, great product, just monitor for the above.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/15/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by sheertiara

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Once a week, I try to apply coconut oil to my hair and then wash it out. It deeply nourishes the hair and causes less fall out. The only problem I have is that coconut oil can get tricky to get out of hair and if you don't wash it out good, it will leave the hair really greasy. So shampoo twice and condition regularly. :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No