Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/14/2012 12:13:00 PM

This is an update on an earlier, positive review.

I still use coconut oil as my HG intense hair treatment, and as a supplement to my conditioner. It's heaven-sent for my thick, wiry, long, extremely curly hair.

But I've found other uses. My husband has seborrheic dermatitis on his forehead sometimes; it's a peeling of the skin, with an itchy rash. Coconut oil fades the rash, smoothes the peeling, and eases the itch. I've found that coconut oil is an excellent makeup remover. And for cooking, it has a very high smoke point, which means it won't burn like olive oil, but is still healthy for you.

I have to correct a misconception put forth in someone else's review. It is NOT, repeat, NOT TRUE that high temperatures make coconut oil into a trans-fat. That is chemically impossible. Trans-fats are also called hydrogenated fats, and they are made in a lab by adding hydrogen. That is the only way they are made. High temps can't do it. So go ahead and cook with coconut oil when you need an oil that won't burn; it's safe.

on 4/14/2012 11:42:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

I coconut oil as an overnight or pre-shampoo hair treatment. I have long medium thickness hair which I have to wash everyday due to exercise. I use about a nickel sized chunk of coconut oil in my palm, which quickly melts to a liquid with the warmth of your hand. Massage it though and leave it overnight. My hair has never been so soft! This also smells beyond delicious. Also great as a make up remover for stubborn or waterproof make up (Inglot gel eyeliner, I'm looking at you...).

on 4/11/2012 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Okay so I've been using coconut oil since I was 7 since I'm south asian (Bangladesh, right next to india). This a great conditioner for hair and I love how soft and healthy my hair feels even though I damage it all the time with a straightener.

But you do not need to spend more than $7 on this, you can get real coconut oil at Indian or middle eastern stores with the brand name as Parachute, in a blue bottle. I get mine for about $5 but that's the big ones.

I purchased organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil from my local health food store. I tried coconut oil as an alternative to moisturizer, as most clog my pores. The first night I washed my face, and when it was still damp, rubbed a few drops of coconut oil between my palms before patting it on my face. My god them smell! It was like heaven! The next day I noticed that the coconut oil seemed to help heal blemishes, but at the same time gave me many clogged pores and blackheads. So now I use coconut oil as an occasional spot treatment for a huge pimple that needs to be healed.
I tried using it on my hair and it strengthened it like nothing else, but everywhere my hair touched I broke out. I broke out on my scalp even. I will try the oil pulling method for my teeth after I have my braces taken off and update. Overall, it was a mediocre product for me, but I still suggest you try coconut oil as everyones skin is different.

on 4/9/2012 2:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

ok, I dont even know where to start.

1) hair. OH MY GOD. I've tried all the morrocan and the mythic and the macadamia and the kerastase treatments and the redken soft and all that and nothing compares to coconut oil. its the only oil that enters the moisture shaft in your hair so instead of just COVERING IT with crap, it really does moisturize! sleep over night with this in and shampoo it out and its a dream, really. my hair grows 10x faster with this in.

2) hair growth! as i mentioned before, my hair grows really fast now i use this weekly. so i put it on my eyelashes (only slightly, nothing to irritate them) and they have never looked so thick and long and healthy! so i then put it on my eyebrows- OMG in a week they were growing like crazy and so much more thick! i can finally pluck them into a shape i want! so good for sparse eyebrows like mine.

3) face. i have an oily t-zone that gets blocked, so instead of using this as a moisturizer, i mix with a bit of avocado or banana and smother it on my face for an hour before cleansing off. because of its anti-bacterial purposes it helps clear my spots but my skin is glowing and so smooth!

4) skin. dry patchs = gone. elbows, feet, knees, hands they are like babys bums no lie

5) health! so much better for you than regular oils!

can you tell i like this oil ahha? even reccomended it to my friend for her psoriasis and she said its really working.

cant reccomend enough really... bought mine from holland & barrett :)

on 4/1/2012 12:48:00 PM

Brilliant for a pre poo treatment, made my fine blonde hair strong!!!!! i had beautiful healthy hair before i became pregnant and due to hormonal changes my hair became brittle and just breaks by touching it, after one coconut treatment and it is looking stunning.

on 3/31/2012 10:50:00 AM

I read a lot about Coconut oil before purchasing it. I bought a small container (very pricey) at my local health food store. It seemed ok until I purchased Nutiva from Amazon. Then I knew the health food store brand was not ok. Nutiva is virgin unrefined and smells like coconut!!! They have a deal where you buy two 54 oz jars for $50.36 (cost +tax and free ship). I am halfway through my second set! It is great for your body taking it internally but beware that it does have calories! My mistake of 4T per day resulted in weight gain! It is hard to take unless mixed into a food. I put it in cold yogurt and it mix it quickly before it hardens. It becomes crunchy like the chocolate topping for ice cream that sets up when it becomes cold.

This oil is addictive so beware, you will use a lot! I use it on my hair every week (keeps it soft and shiny and is the only oil that can actually penetrate the hair shaft) and my body/feet daily. I mix it with kosher salt and use as a scrub in the shower. Mix a couple drops with sugar for a lip exfoliator. Rub your feet at night and apply socks to make them soft and smooth.

I did use it on my face and it was wonderful until it caused blackheads and I stopped. Perhaps if you have dry skin it would be great but my skin is a little on the oily side and it clogged my pores. Up until then I loved it!

I can't say enough about this oil and have many of my friends using it now as well. Many switched after I told them about cooking oil and how it is made using hexane, the fact it is rancid when you purchase it and if that isn't enough to make you stop using it....it has color and perfume added to cover the rancid smell!! Coconut oil and olive oil are both good for you and should be the only ones in your house for health and beauty uses!

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Where do I start to tell you about all the good things this does for my health and beauty? First of all....... ONLY virgin oil is to be used. The old stuff that you can get cheap.. super cheap is not good for you. I personally only get mine at Whole Foods. It's like 7 bucks for an 11oz. jar; and it lasts f-o-r-ever!

Benefits...... Moisturizing.... face, body, hair. As a pre-shampoo.... or a hair dressing pomade. Amazing on my eye lashes... as a conditioner.

Anti-fungal -- anti-microbial -- anti-inflamatory.... great for first aid, bug bites, blemishes, athletes feet... and better for you than petroleum jelly.

I use this on my dogs wind burned/ chapped lips. He loves it................ and it won't hurt him.

AMAZING! My best beauty find ever!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool

It's amazing how something so ordinary and common as coconut oil can turn out to be that one thing your body really needs to look beautiful. Seriously, forget all the expensive hair treatments, lip treatments, and exfoliators. I paid $5.99 for 16 ounces worth of product that I can not only eat, but use for multiple beauty needs. Really now, what's better than that?

I use Trader Joe's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil primarily for my hair. I scoop out a generous amount of the flesh, and then proceed to heat it up in the microwave until it melts into oil. I make sure all of my hair (and my scalp, too! Coconut oil is great for dry scalps) is completely saturated. Then I put on a shower cap, blow dry it for some extra heat, and let my hair remain as such over night. On the next day, I shampoo the oil out and use a hair mask. The results are amazing. My hair is left feeling incredibly soft, from the roots to the ends. My waves are perfect ringlets. My hair is so shiny and practically frizz-free. Sadly, I do have to shampoo my hair two times to remove all of the grease, but that is a small price to pay when it comes to the awesome results I get.

The oil that's not used for my hair, I place on my lips. It's definitely the best lip treatment for cheap. I get kissable lips in an instant. This is the perfect base for lipstick.

It's been mentioned in other reviews that you can also use coconut oil as a scrub. I gotta say, that's true, too. Coconut oil naturally works to heal skin, so mixing it with sugar makes a gentle, yet powerful exfoliator that gets rid of all dead skin cells and works to hydrate new skin underneath. It can also be used as a simple moisturizer for really dry skin.

Whether you like to spend big bucks on high-end products or prefer to be on a lower budget, either way, know that you can't go wrong when using mother nature to look beautiful. :)

I use coconut oil to remove my eye makeup every night, and have been doing so for more than a year. I take a pea-sized amount (or smaller) and rub it over my eye, then take a washcloth and wet it with warm water, and wipe off the coconut oil. I wash my face afterwards with my regular cleanser. It removes EVERYTHING, including the waterproof hard-to-remove products. It has never broken me out, smells fantastic, and is so inexpensive because of how little you use. I also mix it with sugar and use it as a scrub for my hands, lips, and feet. It's amazing. I will never need to buy another makeup remover (except to use while travelling, as the jar of coconut oil I have is rather large, and can be a bit messy if it gets warm and melts). I've converted a friend and my sister, and they both love it too!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products