Honey

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

Honey, propolis (some versions)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Ever since joining MUA I have discovered some interesting methods and products to try to improve my acne-prone skin. Since joining I have cut the acne on my skin by over half, which I think is an impressive accomplishment without using any drying agents or oral medication. Although it has not cured my acne per se, it has greatly improved my skin!

One of the products, that I think has especially helped my skin is Honey. I have used it as a:

1. Spot treatment: I have stubborn acne that likes to sit on my face for 3 weeks before going away. However this stuff shrinks it by half over night, ridding me of irritating acne faster.

2. Facial Mask: I add this to yogurt, or put honey raw on it's own. I noticed that it made me break out a little for the first month because it was drawing out the acne that was 'hiding' underneath my skin. However it has since subsided to reveal even toned, less red, and less pimples on the skin.

3. I have used it as a scrub by simply mixing it with sugar and exfoliating my face, neck, and chest in the shower. I still marvel at how soft my skin feels after.

4. NEW USE: This is turning into a bit of a miracle product for me; this has even been great as a scalp and hair treatment. I put it into my hair when it is damp; it literally will melt right in. Leave it for 10 minutes, than rise it right out. It improved strength and restored silkiness to my hair after abusing it with hair spray.

This has been one of the nicest natural alternatives to getting a better complexion and healthier skin. I highly recommend it to anyone (unless you have an allergy!)

Honey is good for your skin because it is a natural anti-sceptic, it helps seel in moisture, it has over 70 nutrients that the skin absorbs-it is quiet literally a skin food.

Happy Shopping and Happy Skin!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Amazing stuff. Uses found thus far:

(1) Besides the obvious* - mix 50/50 with plain natural yoghurt for a face mask; can be left on for as little as 5 min in shower, or up to 30 min (till really dry and crusty). Then rinsed off. Skin is soft and soothed afterwards. Excellent if skin's been misbehaving or upset. I use any honey for this. (See YOGURT MASK for further details.)

(2) Amazing on zits. I'm a sceptical sort of person, and not often amazed. I use New Zealand manuka honey for this, with UPF 10+ / MGO 100+. Available from health food stores, and some supermarkets. Another - cheaper - option is a blended NZ/Australian honey, which is part manuka (NZ), part tea-trea (AUS): if it's in Irish supermarkets, it ought to be findable anywhere...

Dot on to clean dry skin, using a Q-tip / cotton-wool bud. Leave for as long as possible or practicable: even just 15 min or so in the morning (while doing make-up and breakfast, say) makes a difference. And then a second application, ideally left on overnight. If zits are in parts of face that'll hit pillow and risk hitting hair, put a sticking-plaster on top.

Results: again, general soothing; massively reduced inflammation; the more minor individual zits diminished or nearly gone; the bigger ones closer to surface and (when left overnight, under a plaster) de-gunkified (gunk on plaster, mmmm yummy). Spots are dry (including nasty open red ones) without the surrounding skin being dried out.

(3) Mixing a spoonful into conditioner doesn't do any harm either.

Like I said, amazing stuff. And even more expensive manuka honey is a lot cheaper than any spot treatment on the market. Sorry for not getting around to reviewing this until the end of the year - please count it as a happy New Year gift for 2009!

* The obvious: Eating it, cooking with it, in tea, on toast, etc. Makes you glow inside and out. I also keep two jars of New Zealand manuka honey. A high UPF one in the first-aid box for topical application for wounds and bites. A second, lower UPF one, for zits, and for coughs and colds and sore throats. Can be stirred into hot drinks and hot toddies, but also brilliant if a spoonful is held in mouth (sans spoon) for as long as possible, then swallowed very slowly to coat the throat on the way down. Thanks to Aine for that tip - helped heal sever tracheitis with 2 weeks' voice loss! Subsequent bad throats have gone away within a couple of days.
continued >>

I love, love, love honey for an overnight pimple cure.

You know the ones that you've picked and prodded at which left your face a huge mess that nothing, and I mean nothing can cover it up because it's so red, yet dry but a little discustingly goopy?

Before bed and after cleansing your face, apply a small dab to the area. Cover the entire area with a band aid, 2 if necessary! Leave on overnight or for several hours.

When you wake up, take off the band aid. You will find that the inflammation has lessened by a lot! The area will be soft and less irritated. Also, use a light, delicate scrub ( Try baking soda with a little cleanser.) and then gently clean around the area. This will help take away any of the dry crap that was around the area which prevented covering up the little nasty.

If you dare to look at the band aid, you will see discusting gunk from that nasty pimple. The honey draws it all out and helps to heal the area while moisturizing it at the same time.

You should be able to cover the less-looking-nasty up with your regular makeup.

This is my HG! I hope it works for you! : )

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I just now applied honey+yogurt+aspirin mask. Thought i should write this in MUA and i do find lovely reviews for a nice inexpensive beauty treatment.

In India where i come from, when i was a teenager, i never got a chance to try OTC acne products and cosmetics mainly because of affordability and a little close mindedness. The things which was a beauty staple in our house was honey, yogurt, besan flour (chickpea flour) and coconut/sesame oil. I can vouch on my mom and sister's skin even at their age now. I think it really helped skin in that hot humid climate where i came from. If i had been religiously using these, I would have got a great skin, but oh well, thats another story for my laziness and not putting faith in inexpensive products..i think am maturing with age :-).

Applying honey alone is messy. Combining with yogurt gives a nice exfoliating effect and MORE glow may be the lactic acid in yogurt. I tried adding aspirin to this combo and found it the most effective of all. Cannot stop touching my face! i have learnt that (from Paula Beguon article, i think) that AHA and BHA works well together..so adding aspirin to yogurt was a good thing. I made yogurt+aspirin alone too..adding honey i guess surely has a very brighteing effect and the pores are invisible..more importantly shrinking pores and pimples..and no signs of blackheads..this combination mask is used regularly by me every other day!

For first time users, the purging effect can be annoying. Something new to our skin always needs to be seen with caution. If you are allergic to honey, another alternative is to try blackstrap molasses (you can get unsulphured or sulphured ones in organic section of your local grocery). It is full of vitamins.

I do find it less messy if i use honey on a damp face rather than dry clean face.

I didnt find Blackstrap molasses in the product reviews, just wanted to add a small note. I used it in place of honey as i ran out of it once.. blackstrap molasses smeared on face for 10-15 minutes, gives a wonderful glow! I also use honey or blackstrap molasses in my home made sugar/oil exfoliating scrub.

I added this now after getting a mail from a nice reader of MUA...I use regular aspirin...grind to a powder and store it separately in an airtight container just for mask/scrub use. Usually a tsp full is enough for my face alone.

PS: Recently found a honey bottle with natural lemon extract..grabbed one. Lemon is a good thing on face with oiliness. I got it in a thriftway store in seattle.

Update March 2009: I thought my recent experience need to be shared to all. All honeys are not the same atleast for a cosmetic treatment. When i used the regular store brands esply with lemon extract the results were FABULOUS. I tried Manuka honey umf 15+, i should say i didnt see any result, so waste of money.

PLUS...Please DO NOT use local RAW unfiltered honey if you have seasonal allergies. I ran out of my regular honey, used raw honey (which i give to my dogs), man i tell you,the skin was blotched and pinky and itchy...I REGRET.

On the other hand, if you have seasonal allergies, taking a tsp of raw hony daily acts like a defense, read in some mag..thought i would take that advice for myself and my little dogs. So far so good in that area.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I use this as an add on for about every single mask I use, to supplement moisture and enzymatic action, honey is a natural form of sugar and glucose, so it exfoliates gently . Also its great to use alone, but make sure you get a good base , like a thick cream cleanser( cold cream, Nivea cream cleanser) so it can stay on the face, otherwise its runny. When I rinse off, skin glows and looks and feels healthy. You can pratically go to the drugstore on a late night run to pick it up. For something that works so great, it sure is convienant.

I read about using honey on here and thought I would try it. I really love how it makes my face feel. I use it about once a week when I'm taking a nice long relaxing bath. I smear it all over my face after I've washed it with a microfiber cloth. I usually let it sit about 5-7 minutes. I find that if I let it sit much longer it starts to itch and burn. I rinse it off and my face feels hydrated and smooth. I also smooth it on my lips and it exfoliates really gently(and it's tasty!) and gets rid of all the flakes without any scrubbing.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

A while ago I came across an interview of a successful Greek model in a fav mag of mine. When asked to reveal one of her beauty secrets, she said she mixes honey with sugar and uses the mixture as a facial scrub.I was quite intrigued and had to try it myself, since it's extremely easy to make plus I keep a jar of honey in my kitchen at all times. Well the result was a positive shock: the scrub left my skin incredibly smooth and glowy. When I put on moisturizer afterwards, it literally felt as if I was spreading the cream on a glass surface. I was absolutely wowed. Needless to say that simple scrub has become part of my skincare routine ever since.
But my rave about honey certainly doesn't stop there. I enjoy both the smell and the taste of it. I use it instead of sugar in my tea and as a spread on bread or toast. It also helps soothe a sore throat, plus it is said to be super healthy and beneficial. In addition to that, I am instantly drawn to any product that is supposed to contain honey as an ingredient or smell like honey; I've bought billions of bath products, creams, soaps and lotions because of that.
All in all I love everything about honey; honey as food, honey as a skin treatment, honey as a product ingredient and so on. In my opinion, honey is one of the best things nature has to offer. Try it (but make sure you're not allergic first).

I think I could see how honey can potentially be helpful with all the natural ingredients. However, I found out that I have allergies to large quantities of honey and my skin became very red, itchy and swollen. Will stay away from this "home remedy" as I am so scared to have to wait seven hours before I can go out again. Unfortunately, I gave this a horrible overall rating due to my experience, but I do want to emphasize that this only meant to be a cautionary tale for those of you who have food allergies!

Honey is indeed a great product. I use it for many things but just started using it in my yogurt masks and am amazed at the results. I'm not sure if it's the honey or yogurt that is making my skin looks so much nicer but I will keep using both. It does bring pimples out quickly and gets rid of them and it gives a nice smooth tone to my skin. I have used it every night for the past 4 nights and will probably start using every other night so as to not over do things, but so far so good (hopefully I'm not jinxing myself). I thought of using just honey to dab on hard to get rid of pimples to see if that will help. I have a few stubborn ones that I am trying hard to get rid of so I think I will try it tonight instead of BP.

I am trying to use more natural products because even though I have known for a long time that the skin is our biggest organ, it never really sank in that everything I use - not only the makeup(which I always knew had chemicals in it) but also the cleansers and moisturisers. You can feel them really getting into your skin and when I looked at the ingredients list I realised I had absolutely no idea what it was using! So Honey.... I read the reviews (which I always do now before buying/trying new products) and was kinda disappointed after my 1st mask. ( I just used raw organic honey). My skin felt ok. Nothing amazing. Nothing awful either. The 2nd time i added oatmeal and bit of water and omg! so messy! haha and stil wasn't exactly impressed. I have since tried it a few more times (just the plain honey, the other way for me is too messy and sometimes I honestly can't be bothered mixing it all up) and I have to say I'm liking it. Not loving hence the 4, not 5 lippy score. I leave the honey on for 10-15 mins and it does moisturise (slightly, I stil apply moisturiser because my skin can be oily but also very dry) and it does have anti-bact properties(when I was at the health food store flipping up btwn manuka or this the lady said that this works just as well and not to waste my $$ haha). Makes my skin feels smooth. Have not experienced cystic acne as some others have. I don't believe this is an amazing cure for acne but it doesn't worsen mine at least. I think it may help a little.
Honey rinses off easily. Make sure your hair is all tied back! I'm going to continue to use this and other natural products (still looking for some!) and I will update if my acne gets worse or better and if I think this had anything to do with it.
Honey can also be used in your conditioner. 1 blob with a couple of 'blobs' of conditioner. Your hair isn't left sticky ( just as your face isn't). helps to control frizzies I think!
Also tatses delicious!
It has been brought to my attention that I should give a quick update! this is a great ingredient in my yoghurt/honey/lemon juice mask. It really is V good. see the reviews for Yogurt Mask. Try for yourself

Video Reviews & Tutorials