October 26, 2014 | 940 users online

Treatments (Face) - Honey

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 1:26:00 AM More reviews by angelakay016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

For the last month I have been cleansing with Cerave and using raw organic honey as a mask and my skin has never been better. The honey literally makes my skin glow. I have very oily skin and the combination of these two have really seemed to balance it out. When I do the honey mask I don't really have to use moisturizer. Today I had an allergic reaction to chemical SPF and honey was the only thing that would calm my skin down. I will repurchase again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2008 11:27:00 PM More reviews by sugarscout

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I stumbled across this idea on MUA 2 nights ago.
..I know, slow learner..
Anyway, I thought i should share my experience as this side-effect wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews i read. I decided to grab some honey out of my cupboard and give this honey mask a try..after reading that bacteria can't grow in honey i thought that the hygiene thing wouldn't be an issue.
I mixed a dollop of honey in a shallow bowl with a tiny bit of water and a few drops of my new best friend jojoba oil. Applied it to my face (which felt amazing ..a very silky texture) and left it on for about half an hour.
Washed it off and went to bed.
The next morning i was surprised to find that my eyes were extremely puffy..actually my whole face was a bit bloated but mainly around my eyes.
I was allergic to bee stings when i was a kid, haven't actually had a sting since and am not allergic to anything else so i was shocked when my face had this reaction. (I have only ever been stung on my foot/toe and this caused my entire leg to puff/swell for a few hours on the 2 occasions i was stung)
I had to go and grab a few rounds of cucumber to sooth my poor inflated eyelids and brow bone.
I never conceived that being allergic to bee stings would be linked to honey, especially since i have never been allergic to pollen.
I was determined, after so many rave reviews, to give honey a shot and decided that i would try it on my hair instead. So I rubbed diluted honey into my hair and left it for about 30 mins then shampooed and conditioned as usual...now this was incredible...soft, silky, hydrated hair!!
I gave the honey another go on my face trying to avoid the sensitive eye area and left it for about 10 mins. This STILL gave me puffy eyes!!
Yesterday, I convinced my boyfriend to try it in his hair after my amazing results. He loved it although this morning he said he woke up with slightly puffy eyes also.
I think it might be the brand of honey i am using so i am off to get some raw stuff this afternoon.

On a side note:- A friend of mine works in an organic supermarket and says that organic honey is overrated. Bees are organic it's whether or not additives are used in the smoke they use to calm the bees. Flowers are also organic and how do you control the bees making the honey..whether or not they have visited flowers that are treated with chemicals and sprays. (unless it is in a controlled environment).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2008 9:09:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Fantastic in my tea, but does nothing for my skin. I've tried using this as a spot treatment on blemishes and as an all over mask. I've also tried using it as an ingredient in other home made masks. My skin never looks any different after using honey. It certainly doesn't irritate my skin, or do it any harm, it just doesn't do anything. And yes I've tried using organic honey, manuka honey etc. No matter how good the quality of the honey, it just doesn't do a thing for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2008 1:25:00 AM More reviews by doe_eyed_kitty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I was going through a period of very little sleep and stress. As a result my face was dry, itchy and red. I used organic honey as a mask for 5 minutes every night for 2 weeks and my face felt very smooth at the end of it :) didnt cause any redness for me though... maybe becuase its organic

rated 3 of 5 on 9/12/2008 2:17:00 PM More reviews by chezshea7

Based on the rave reviews here I made myself an organic honey mask and left it on for 30 minutes. It was great, my skin felt so soft and smooth so I, in turn, raved about it to everyone I know...only to break out the next couple of days in deep cystic welts that won't come to a head and won't go away even with my Zeno. I have super sensitive skin that does this quite alot with new products so I'm willing to try again, fingers crossed, because I want to believe...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 11:52:00 PM More reviews by SuperSkin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using manuka honey as a mask and I believe I have found the Fountain of Youth. For the past 2 weeks, I have been leaving it on for 15-30 minutes at a time before rinsing. Overall my face is brighter, clearer, and more moisturized. I am acne prone and this seems to be reducing the amount of new breakouts. Initially I got about 3 small pimples that did NOT come to head and disapeared. I did not find a dramatic difference after one use, but now that I have been using it for 2 weeks I see a big difference. I no longer need to use foundation - except on my nose which is redder than my face. At the same time I started using the honey mask, I started using Cetaphil as a cleanser instead of Neutrogena oil free acne cleanser. My face is happier for it - not as stripped. Manuka honey is expensive - about $27 for 1 pound (100 teaspoons - uses) but it has antibacterial properties and is worth every penny. I first cleanse with cetaphil and then use the honey mask and rinse with warm water. Manuka honey is not not drippy, but i clip my hair back so it doesn't stick to my face :) thank you to all the reviewers here who encouraged me to try this! EDIT fyi: i've fallen out of the practice of using honey on my face. my face is pretty clear though. i use moisturizer regularly

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 8:05:00 PM More reviews by jcintron

I have used honey in the past for a body scrub. I mix honey and corn meal in a cup and stir it together. The great thing about the mixture is that you can make it to your preferred consistancy. So if you like a real grainy scrub you can add more corn meal to the mixture. If you don't like it as grainy just put less corn meal or more honey into the mixture. I slather the mixture all over my body. I try to use a circular motion particularly around any dry spots. This leaves my skin super soft and glowy.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/28/2008 12:59:00 AM More reviews by ibuytoomuchmakeup

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

the only pros of this is that it tastes good, it did nothing to my blemishes, and the sugars in honey actually feeds the acne bacteria.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/24/2008 3:15:00 AM More reviews by lydeeah

I don't know what happened. Honey seemed to work for everyone else. I have acne-prone/combination skin. I didn't think it was that sensitive, but I guess it is. 5 minutes into applying the honey mask on my face, I could see that my skin was getting RED. I thought well, maybe it will be okay after the 10 minutes and when I wash it off. But by the 10 minutes I looked SO bad with these red patches all over my face. And pimples that were never really there before. I'm so scared. I put some aloe vera on it and I'm really hoping it goes away by tomorrow morning.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2008 12:59:00 AM More reviews by modernaire

Honey is the least expensive and most effective skin treat I have found. Here's how I use it: in an empty pump bottle (sold at most 99 cent stores), combine honey, brown sugar, evoo and just a little bit of milk. shake vigorously. I use it as a gentle, moisturizing cleanser after removing my makeup with a cleansing wipe. Massage it in, then rinse off. This concoction had 4 noticeable effects: 1. evenly toned 2. improved luminosity 3. smoothing and plumping 4. reduced appearance of blackheads. Just remember to refrigerate it if you've added milk to it. I'm not sure how refrigerating affects it, but I haven't had any problems so far. Try it!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No