December 19, 2014 | 1660 users online

Treatments (Face) - Honey

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2008 9:51:00 PM More reviews by saintsvalentine

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I suffer from constant breakouts and cystic acne and *nothing* topical i've tried has cleared up my acne nor prevented it, and I've tried most things. I use to use Aveeno sensative skin products, which I still like, but they didn't treat the acne. Thought I still use the night cream. I think my acne is hormonal and i'm on BC, soon to be taking Spiro, and i've tried benzoyl peroxide treatments, (which made things 50X worse) among other things. I've also changed my diet drastically. Then I tried raw organic honey. I use it as a cleanser after my oil free make up remover. I mix it with nutmeg and cinnamon. I'll then leave it on for 5-30 minutes or sleep with the mask on every once in a while or if things are really bad. after i wash off i follow up with a really good oil free moisturizer and that's it. My skin looks significantly better than when I was using any conventional store bought treatment. The spots are healing up very well and much more quickly. I've also heard the honey helps with scars but it's too soon for me to tell. the honey completely healed the peeling and flaking from the bezoyl peroxide, which was a nightmare on top of the nightmare of acne. I'm now going to try Wedderspoon Manuka Honey 16+, and I have confidence this will be even better than what i use now. I feel like since I broke out with severe hormonal acne last month I looked like a meth addict or someone with chicken pox. It was all red and horrible looking, esp when my skin was dry from BP. When i started using my honey regime, my boyfriend commented on how it looked like my skin was improving. initially he probably thought using honey was silly but i'm seeing real results, real fast. it's not a miracle cure, but it's better than anything else i've tried. Tastes and smells nice too.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 4:47:00 AM More reviews by peasloveandhominy

Skin type : insanely acne prone (with active acne), prone to clogged pores and very oily
Duration of use : more than a year

This is no miracle, but I've long since given up on skincare miracles. I love using a raw honey face mask (I get my raw honey from the farmer's market in the summer. It's fairly cheap and very fresh.) once a week or more. I use generic Retin-A gel but still like the idea of doing a face mask. Clays are usually too harsh and everything else seems to sting and irritate my skin. Raw honey calms my skin and usually calms any breakouts I have.

I don't believe it prevents breakouts or even treats them, but I believe it calms the irritation. I apply about 1 teaspoon of raw honey to a damp face and neck (when I try to apply it to a dry face and neck, it irritates my skin). I leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes and then rinse it with lukewarm water.

That's it. I don't add anything to it or leave it on for a really long time. I believe that perhaps some irritation that people get it due to their application. As stated above, when I applied it to dry skin, there was too much friction and it causes irritation and also when I would leave it on more than 20 minutes, I noticed irritation.

I apply aloe vera gel after and call it a night. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2008 12:11:00 PM More reviews by azura

I am amazed...... believe me I am a picky customer and it doesn't happen a lot.
I was never very into the kitchen and beauty salon in combination idea, cuz past a few tests didn't impress me at all. Nothing horrible like allergy happened. Just NOTHING happened, good or bad, after I wash the mess off my face. So I decided to just stay with beauty counters.
Not this time with honey. I put it on last night, waited for 30 min, then washed off and finished with my routine. I see my skin tone evened out instantly. All red marks from my periodic breakout lightened. What is even better is, it lasted. When I woke up this morning I see the same --much evener tone. It's definitely not an illusion cuz I ended up using half amount of foundation and almost no need for concealor touch-up afterwards. No other high-end masks have worked this well---Valmont, Chantecaille, etc.

OK let me calm down. After all I've just used it once. I will keep the experiment and update my review.

Edit: It's been 3 weeks and still working! I even replaced my morning cleanser with honey--Spread a bit on, brush my teeth, then wash off. Nothing has worked better. Love it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2008 11:40:00 PM More reviews by campasianspice

Even though I will continue using this it isn't doing wonders for my skin as everyone else raves. My oily, sensitive skin remains cursed with acne. I used raw organic honey and didn't see a difference with regular. I'll use this again just because it's a little bit better than the aspirin mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2008 12:42:00 AM More reviews by JacquelynHunter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Sometimes my sensitive skin gets irritated (badly) and nothing I can do calms it down except for honey overnight. I can't use this all over my face for more than one night because then I break out a little, but when I use this sparingly as a spot treatment on dry/flaky areas and once overnight when my face wants to burn off my skin is soothed, moist and glowing! Honey is great for skin, and I don't mind if I get some in my hair because it works nicely in hair too!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 5:49:00 PM More reviews by edgarallanho

I'm just a poor college student so I steal packets of honey from my cafeteria! I'm on the CG method of washing my curly hair, and I mix equal parts of honey and conditioner together to wash my hair (no shampoo for my hair!). It really cleans out mild build up in my hair and at the same time, moisturizes extremely well since it's a humectant. My hair looks amazing each time I wash with honey!

As a mask, I'm not sure how this works. But for hair, particularly curly hair, it's really amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2008 1:22:00 PM More reviews by morepoe

Great mask. Very moisturizing and gets off that ugly, rough top layer of skin. I love it. (A little messy, make sure to tie hair off face :)).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2008 1:26:00 AM More reviews by angelakay016

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

For the last month I have been cleansing with Cerave and using raw organic honey as a mask and my skin has never been better. The honey literally makes my skin glow. I have very oily skin and the combination of these two have really seemed to balance it out. When I do the honey mask I don't really have to use moisturizer. Today I had an allergic reaction to chemical SPF and honey was the only thing that would calm my skin down. I will repurchase again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2008 11:27:00 PM More reviews by sugarscout

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I stumbled across this idea on MUA 2 nights ago.
..I know, slow learner..
Anyway, I thought i should share my experience as this side-effect wasn't mentioned in any of the reviews i read. I decided to grab some honey out of my cupboard and give this honey mask a try..after reading that bacteria can't grow in honey i thought that the hygiene thing wouldn't be an issue.
I mixed a dollop of honey in a shallow bowl with a tiny bit of water and a few drops of my new best friend jojoba oil. Applied it to my face (which felt amazing ..a very silky texture) and left it on for about half an hour.
Washed it off and went to bed.
The next morning i was surprised to find that my eyes were extremely puffy..actually my whole face was a bit bloated but mainly around my eyes.
I was allergic to bee stings when i was a kid, haven't actually had a sting since and am not allergic to anything else so i was shocked when my face had this reaction. (I have only ever been stung on my foot/toe and this caused my entire leg to puff/swell for a few hours on the 2 occasions i was stung)
I had to go and grab a few rounds of cucumber to sooth my poor inflated eyelids and brow bone.
I never conceived that being allergic to bee stings would be linked to honey, especially since i have never been allergic to pollen.
I was determined, after so many rave reviews, to give honey a shot and decided that i would try it on my hair instead. So I rubbed diluted honey into my hair and left it for about 30 mins then shampooed and conditioned as usual...now this was incredible...soft, silky, hydrated hair!!
I gave the honey another go on my face trying to avoid the sensitive eye area and left it for about 10 mins. This STILL gave me puffy eyes!!
Yesterday, I convinced my boyfriend to try it in his hair after my amazing results. He loved it although this morning he said he woke up with slightly puffy eyes also.
I think it might be the brand of honey i am using so i am off to get some raw stuff this afternoon.

On a side note:- A friend of mine works in an organic supermarket and says that organic honey is overrated. Bees are organic it's whether or not additives are used in the smoke they use to calm the bees. Flowers are also organic and how do you control the bees making the honey..whether or not they have visited flowers that are treated with chemicals and sprays. (unless it is in a controlled environment).

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2008 9:09:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Fantastic in my tea, but does nothing for my skin. I've tried using this as a spot treatment on blemishes and as an all over mask. I've also tried using it as an ingredient in other home made masks. My skin never looks any different after using honey. It certainly doesn't irritate my skin, or do it any harm, it just doesn't do anything. And yes I've tried using organic honey, manuka honey etc. No matter how good the quality of the honey, it just doesn't do a thing for me.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No