September 17, 2014 | 1929 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2009 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Ello

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried this off and on, especially in the summer when my skin is particularly oily. I can say that as a person who suffers from acne, and has suffered from acne for a long time, this stuff really does a decent job of keeping the oilies at bay. Here are some of the pros and cons:

PROS
fantastic toner. I swipe it on after washing my face and it blots up all the excess oils.
smells wonderful, and is not loaded with synthetic fragrances.
it's a natural approach to clear skin.
fades acne marks, and helps to speed up the drying process of current pimples.
Cheap!

CONS
It can be drying, especially in the winter months.
you can only (and should only) use it once a day as it can discolor your skin if you wear it out in the sun.
it burns when applied, especially if you have pimples with scabs on them.

But as you can see, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I would suggest that you try it. I have tried all kinds of toners from high $$$ to drugstore clearance rack, and this works the same, if not even better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 8:52:00 PM More reviews by idressyou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was so happy to see the trusty old lemon got a spot on MUA! I've been using them for various skin ailments for decades. Here are a couple of "recipes" I use: I mix a scrub in a shot glass from 1/2 a lemon's juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and enough table salt to make it a paste.., I scrub hands, feet, elbows with this, just like you would a store bought scrub... and rinse. For my face, I mix the other 1/2 of the lemon's juice, 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. sugar... if my face is broken out, I skip the sugar... gently rub in a circular motion, just like a store bought face scrub or wash... and rinse, being VERY careful not to get it into my eyes (it can burn like a mutha!). When I lived in Cali, where lemons are dirt cheap, I did this daily. Now, since I'm in an area where they're fairly expensive, I do it sporadically, when my regular skincare routine seems to be losing it's effectiveness. It seems to give my skin a "shock" that kicks it back into gear for a while. Another thing that I've done, that helps with blackheads, is to just sqeeze some lemon juice onto the corner of a wet washcloth (lemon will bleach colored cloths) and wash like you normally would with a facial cleanser, and rinse. It unclogs pores, dissolves blackheads, smooths and fades scars and fine lines over time.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 6:18:00 PM More reviews by winian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Yay Lemons!! I have been using this in different ways for the last month or so, trying to figure out the best way for me. I like to use it with water as a toner, but have yet to leave it on for the whole night, after reading the reviews I will try it. But what I do love is using it in my homemade scrub, crushed sea salt, lemon and honey, it's wonderful! All small under-the-skin pimples are smaller! And this is the only exfoliant that agrees with my skin. The white heads are healing faster, too! In the quest to heal my mild acne over the last few years, I have found that nature always has the best cures! Give thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by mawyyy

Wow! This stuff really works! I use it to get rid of those pesky post acne red marks (my skin is pale and marks easily). I'm telling you, in just one week I am seeing results! What I do is make a mixture of 1/2 lemon juice, 1/2 water and store it in the fridge. Every night, after cleansing and toning, I dip a cotton ball in my mixture and apply it to my entire face, avoiding my eyebrows (lemon juice bleaches hair!). Nothing has worked this quickly to remove these red marks, not even glycolic acid peels done weekly. It blows my mind that this has faded them so quickly, like nothing else has. Just make sure not to use this stuff full strength. About 2 years ago I tried this full strength, and it just irritated my sensitive skin. Then I read reviews about people making mixtures, so I tried that and it worked so much better for me. Doesn't really kill my acne, but that's ok since Yaz is taking care of that, for the most part. Now, instead of wearing concealer, I wear only a tinted moisturizer.

I had to add- for people that are using this (or anything else) for acne, there is only one thing that will get rid of your acne- your diet. Of course dermatologists don't tell you this, but it's true. Fo example, I know that whenever I eat lots of sugary things, like clockwork the next day I will break out. Sugar is a major cause of acne. If you eat less sugar, less white bread, less fried foods and more fruits and vegetables, it will make a big difference in your skin. My skin is so much better now that I eat healthy.

UPDATE: Just had to add, I've been using this for about a month now and my skin just keeps getting better and better! Also, the stinging goes away with time as your skin gets used to this. Good luck! And limes work just as well, I hear (though I haven't tried them; only lemons).

UPDATE 2: It's over a year later, and I still love this stuff! I am now using it full strength. I guess my skin got used to it (not in a bad way) and is now able to tolerate full strength.

35 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2009 2:04:00 PM More reviews by magentagreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't even have to buy it, it grows in my garden! This is my old and proven skin lightener. It lightened dark patches on my forehead and chin amazingly well years ago and since then, I've been thruthful and thankfull to this little, humble gift of nature. I have a sturdy skin, not sensitive, not acne prone, but prone to clogged pores and discoloration from little squeezed - out pimples and sun. This helpes me not to get infection after squeezing and maintains my melasma (that is almost gone) on the minimum level. I always wear a high spf sunscreen during the day, as this makes your skin sensitive to the sun. It takes some time to show results, but it works bette than some anti discoloration creams I tried. I apply it straight from the fresh lemon, leave for 30 min to 2 hours, rinse with warm water and moisturize well, because lemon is drying. It also helps with blackheads on my nose. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything to minimize my pores. This is very strong natural concoction of acids (about 70%) so be carefull at first and test-patch. It will not work for everyone, but I'm so happy it works for me.
EDIT:
Warning! Don't even think about using this if already using AHA, BHA or any kind of retinol product! It will burn your skin right off! I started some mild retinol recently and had to stop lemon juice imediately. After applying it only once, my skin became so red and sensitive, it felt exactly like a sunburn.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2009 3:31:00 PM More reviews by swirly_whirl85

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to try lemon juice as a toner after reading the glowing reviews here on Makeup Alley, and all I can say is that my skin was NOT glowing afterwards!! the stuff burned like crazy - I needed to splash my face with water for about 5 minutes to rinse off all the juice. Talk about assault! My face was red, sore and itchy all night. From now on, I am staying away from "home remedies" and sticking with store-bought products. If I do decide to try lemon juice again, I will dilute it a lot. Beware if you have sensitive skin!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2009 9:41:00 AM More reviews by desigirlatrichmond

After years of suffering from acne, assaulting my face with chemicals and being depressed seeing my sisters' and friends' glowing skin, I had almost given up on smooth glowing skin...Who knew a humble little lemon will do the trick!
I use pure lemon juice on my face every night before going to bed (15 minutes before, so it dries off when I hit the sheets) And within a week, I saw a natural glow, even skin tone, clean and smaller pores and lightning of my old scars. I just squeeze the lemon in my hand and put it all over my face like a lotion.

My regimen -(Night)
Wash face with Johnson's baby shampoo (thats the only thing that doesn't break me out), use Thayers Witch hazel with Rose, Put lemon juice before bed.
Morning - Wash face with Johnson's baby shampoo, use Thayers Alcohol free witch Hazel, dab a drop of glycerine with a drop of water on face for moisturizing and I am good to go.
I still need to wear concealer to hide acne scars, but I am amazed how little makeup I need these days after I started using lemon juice treatment in night. My skin practically glows!!!!
The only thing is - Be patient with it, give it at least 2 weeks to see results. use DAILY, no excuses. Don't use it in day time or before you go out, otherwise you will be more sensitive to sun and skin can become darker/reddish.
So far I am so happy with it, and I am glad I read about it on MUA!

Edit - I also use aspirin mask 2-3 times a week. Take 3-4 aspirin tablets, sprinkle just 2 drops of water and let it sit for couple of minutes. It becomes mushy and paste like, then add a squirt of organic honey and slather it all over my face, keep it for 30 minutes and wash with lukewarm water. Since my Lemon Juice (daily) and aspirin mask (3 times a week) routine (Its been month and a half), I have cancelled my proactive orders, threw the ZapZit tube in trash and just using these 2 treatments and it has been super!! Easy, cheap, less chemical, and clear skin...what else can I ask for! Don't wait for another day or another review, just use it, you don't have anything to loose. If it works, great, if not, at least it won't harm your skin or your wallet!

38 out of 40 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2009 3:05:00 AM More reviews by dizzyme124

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love, love, love it! I use the kind in the lemon shaped bottle and apply it using a cotton ball at nite before bed. The stinging is barely noticeable and it has done wonders for my skin. Really cleared up my acne and evened out my skin tone.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2009 3:08:00 PM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought a bunch of lemons when they were on sale to make lemonade and my children won't drink lemonade with pulp so I had to strain the pulp out of the lemon juice before making lemonade with it. I took this pulp and put it in a plastic container and use this every morning instead of homemade vitamin c serum. I just put my finger in the pulp and dab it all over my face like a thin mask. I leave it on as I drink my morning coffee, make the kids' lunches, and check the weather to decide what we are all going to wear that day. Then I rinse it off and apply my daily moisturizer with spf as usual. I've been doing it for over a week now and the pulp has not gone bad, although I have refrigerated it. My skin is glowing even more than it did with the vitamin c serum, but my vitamin c serum wasn't very strong anyway. This does sting a little as it dries on my face, but once it's dry, it doesn't sting anymore. My face does look brighter, so something I'm doing is working, and it may just be this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2009 6:32:00 AM More reviews by RuKa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Amazing for tightening pores.. mine are large unless I use lemon juice. I don't use it for anything else, so I can't attest to what the others have said, but for pores, amazing!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No