November 23, 2014 | 940 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 7/28/2012 11:11:00 PM More reviews by emma_wonders

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this make up sponge. I've been using them for over a year and it's my go to tool for foundation and concealer around my eye area. I understand this doesn't work for some people and I understand why they have their complaints. But for me- a dedicated make up sponge user- it's a winner. The texture of this sponge is in fact different than the various generic make up sponges you can pick up at your pharmacy or Target etc. Yes, it does require a lot of upkeep in terms of washing it every time you use it and I guess I don't mind that because I've just become accustomed to doing so. Also- I've always hated using brushes for foundation application. No matter how expensive the brush, the style of shape and cut of the brush- I have always found buffing a brush or just *brushing* foundation to be uncomfortable feeling and I always had a hard time blending evenly. Basically, for me, using a brush was more work than using a sponge and these are the best sponges I've ever used and I buy them regularly. I love the cleaner for this but I think you need a LOT to clean them properly so I find myself using a mild facial cleanser when I run out to clean the sponges. Also I've found the best technique is to run warm water over the sponge before use and then yes wring it dry in a clean towel. It doesn't absorb a ton of product for me if i use it near dry/damp.
I'm purchasing a few newer kabuki style high end make up brushes to see if I can find a brush that will be comfortable for foundation application- and we'll see if I end up liking a brush over this sponge! But for now, this is my absolute go to applicator almost daily.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/22/2012 10:37:00 AM More reviews by Prazzie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased a 2-pack from Sephora, so that my friend and I could find out what the fuss was about. I have been very satisfied with my foundation routine, using various liquid foundations and applying it with a Real Techniques buffing brush (from the Core Collection). However, after hearing so much hype about the beautyblender, I decided to try it.

After reading some reviews here on MUA, I was worried about the sponge absorbing too much of my expensive foundation. I have a bottle of Revlon Colorstay that I got last year and no longer use, because it oxidizes on my skin. I decided to try using that, so I wouldn't waste my good makeup.

I dampened the beautyblender by squeezing it under cold running water. I squeezed out the excess and then dried it further in a towel. I placed two pumps of Colorstay on the back of my hand, tapped the big end of the sponge into it and started applying it to my skin in a rapid stippling motion. The foundation, which is slightly too dark for my skintone, disappeared, leaving my skin looking clean and even. I admit that I was very surprised by the effect.

I had planned on only testing it on my t-zone, where I have some redness, but I didn't want to stop using the sponge. I pumped out two more squirts of foundation and covered my whole face, using the smaller end under my eyes and next to my nose. To really get into the folds next to my nose, I had to push my nose to the side with my finger, which I don't have to do when I use a brush.

I was skeptical, I don't enjoy using sponges for applying cosmetics, but the effect was undeniable. The beautyblender had created an airbrushed effect on my face, effortlessly. It was even better than my beloved buffing brush, which I have described as "life-changing" in the past. So there you go, the hype is not unfounded, the beautyblender does what it says it does.

It is not perfect, though. Cleaning it proved a difficult task. I spent a long time and used several products to try and remove the foundation stains, to no avail. I don't particularly want to spend more time cleaning my tools than I spent using them, so I gave up and will just live with a stained sponge. I massage some baby shampoo into it, then rinse it until the water runs clear and that's enough for me. The pink dye did come out during washing, but I saw no trace of it on my face, so I am not concerned.

More points off for how expensive it is and for the plastic "pedestal" container, which I think can easily damage the sponge. I store mine loosely on top, so I don't have to push it through each time I remove it. I'm also worried about longevity, I inspected the sponge closely after washing it and I can see how little tears could start forming in the material. I know the company states that the sponge should last about 3 months, so I will see how accurate that is.

Although I think that the beautyblender gives a better finish than any other method I've used, it does use a bit more foundation than my brushes would. It also took me longer to apply a full face than usual, but that might be due to my inexperience with using a sponge.

I will not be using the beautyblender for all my foundation applications, simply to save product and extend the life of the sponge, but I will introduce it into my routine when I want the most flawless appearance. It somehow manages to apply a sheer, invisible layer of foundation that simultaneously provides ample coverage. It is very impressive and despite the price, I will repurchase this when mine becomes too tattered to use.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 4:47:00 PM More reviews by mooshrimp

I'm a sucker for a good gimmick so I really couldn't resist this. I do not have the brand name, I have one I got on eBay for $2. But since I'm reviewing it well, I figured it's OK.

It took me a long time to try it out, but recently started on a foundation kick again so I pulled this baby out for a test run. I ran it under water and squeezed it a few times WITH the water running. The water did not soak in unless I squeezed it with the water running (or in a bowl or water) so for those who are having issues with it soaking up the foundation, make sure to try that! If I just held it under the water it stayed dry dry dry.

I squeezed the water out so it felt damp and gave it a go. I use AeroMinerale foundation. I put on E.LF. primer first. I first put the foundation on my hand, then dabbed it over my face with my fingers. Then I used the beauty blender to "bounce" around my face, just kind of sponging rather than rubbing. It took a little while to get the hang of it, but once I did I was amazed. The coverage was second to none and I looked perfectly smooth. I went to show my friend and she went, "wow your foundation is actually incredibly smooth!"

I used to hate foundation, but this little sponge has actually made me start using it again! It gives the most flawless finish I've ever had. Better than a really good foundation brush and WAY better than my fingers. I highly recommend you give this a shot. If you don't want to commit to something so expensive, the ebay one I got works great.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2012 7:21:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this little sponge, its really worth the hype. My foundation is perfectly blended and never streaky. I love how it grows when you wet it. Just remember its really delicate so never scrub it hard to wash it. I have found that its easier to clean when its slightly damp to dry, rather than when its wet. I like this far more than a brush.

Also, to people that are freaked out by pink dye: they make a white one with no dye at all called Beautyblender Pure (my personal favorite).

And to those who get bugged by the staining, they make a black one called Beautyblender Pro.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 3:20:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I can see why some people are underwhelmed by this. It is expensive for a sponge. However, in my book it does do what it claims to do. I've found that it makes application of makeup easier, faster, and better looking with less work. I have used this sponge with a few different foundations and it gave great results with every one except NARS Sheer Matte (which is a junk foundation, no fault to the sponge.) I got a 2-pack with no cleanser for about $25 from Sephora, so I think I got a pretty good deal. If I had spent $20 on just one sponge I might be singing a different song, but overall I do like the product. I like that it makes layering products much easier, and faster. My only real problem is that I've almost thrown it away like five times. Otherwise, solid product if you use liquid or cream foundations and want to customize your coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by CelestialBlue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow..I heard about this and thought I would give it a try...it has been weeks and the amount of pink dye coming out is alarming...I don't know why it is pink to begin with..I enjoy organic products for the most part, this seems pretty toxic to use on my skin

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by alissss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

WOWWW! It's really all I can say. Yes it's hyped up and expensive but it really works! I was completely surprised at what this little thing can do. I used it with Revlon age defying, Revlon color stay and Lancome teint idole so far. It really gives that luminous, airbrushed look. I did a double take every time I saw myself in the mirror. When my husband saw me the first time I used this, he said wow, your make up looks glowing. He never comments on my makeup and I wasn't wearing anything new/different.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 7:55:00 AM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I think how much you like this might depend on the products you are using with the BB. This works very well with my L'oreal True Match foundation. True Match is a thin formula, and doesn't work very well with a brush. The tapping and rolling actions used with the BB and the True Match created a beautiful finish.
When it comes to using my MUFE HD, I prefer using a brush. I found the HD difficult to blend when out when using the BB. It looked a bit cakey.
edit: do yourself a favor and watch a few youtube videos on application. I watched a few tutorials and realized I wasn't reallly using this correctly. When I did use it the right way, I really liked it and the finish it gave me. I'm upping this to 4 lippies.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2012 8:14:00 AM More reviews by DaniellexBx

To apply foundation i would rate this low but for finishing and blending makeup i would rate this highly, great for dry skin!!
I like this product but not for applying foundation to the whole face as i feel the sponge absorbs to much product even when damp. If you wanted to use double the amount of foundation then it could give the same finish as a brush but why bother?. I apply my foundation with a foundation brush and bounce the BB over to give a dewy finish, i do the same with my concealer too and the finish is great! i would repurchase for this purpose only.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 3:04:00 AM More reviews by vidz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Seriously, I have combination, flaky, sensitive, dry, patchy, oily T-zone, old-acne scarred skin. Lovely, no? It's a HG product for me. I use it apply my foundation (of course), blush, bronzer, concealer AND powder. Seamless. Great coverage.

Works great for liquid, cream, gel foundations. However, in order not to waste it, apply it directly on your face then bounce around the BB.
I clean mine by soaking it in Cetaphil for a few minutes or baby shampoo if it needs deeper cleansing.

The great thing with the BB is, after you're done with your face, remember to get your eyelids, ears and jawline and neck.

Secret: Use a damp (almost dry) BB to apply your MSF Natural. It sets your makeup for hours. I live in Singapore and I have sweaty face and an oily T-Zone and my make up still holds up after hours of dancing.