October 21, 2014 | 1263 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2010 2:08:00 AM More reviews by soniawonia

I LOVE Ruby woo!!!! It's matte and dry as heck and I love it! When I hear matte, it better be matte. I hate it when I get a lippie that's supposed to be matte and it has a sheen to it. This is bright and sexy just pure love. I wear it often.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2010 7:46:00 PM More reviews by barbieismetal

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, what a gorgeous colour !

Im a NC20 and this looks amazing , its the perfect matte bright red for me , makes me feel sexy and also makes my lips look huge when paired with cherry lip pencil from MAC as well.

This lipstick really stands out , definetly not for anyone who dosent like mattes or very bold old school lips

rated 2 of 5 on 5/10/2010 12:35:00 PM More reviews by lilykoala

Tried this on at the MAC storing hoping to find my perfect red. Well, I didn't. I found ruby woo to be VERY dry and difficult to apply evenly, and the color just turned bright pink on my lips after a while. The one saving grace was the staying power. After kissing my boyfriend, there was no evidence of any red lipstick at all! Other than that, it's just a dry lipstick that turns pink on me.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2010 1:12:00 PM More reviews by iigeeeii

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a blue-based red and may not suit all skin tones. I have a medium skin complexion with yellow undertones. This formula is a bit drying but itís all good! Matte formulas tend to be a little drier. It prevents the lipstick from bleeding outside your natural lip line. (a la JOKER)

**Red lips command attention - so be prepared for it. You definitely need to be confident. It also helps to coordinate your outfit to match such a bold & liberating makeup statement. This shade of red is so pretty and reminds me of retro pin up girls. Itís definitely bright and pops out. I only wear this when I go out.

Here are a few tips that helped me:
1. Exfoliate lips Ė you can use a mix of sugar and olive oil
2. Apply lip balm and do the rest of your makeup. Keep eyes neutral. Keep eyeliner winged and thick. Faux lashes optional. Lips last.
3. Use a lip primer.
4. Lip liner - a must. Line and define your lips then fill in to create a base for the lipstick to adhere to.
5. Use a lip brush for precise handling. This also allows you to paint the lipstick into the natural grooves of your lips. (Last longer).
6. Bring mirror with you and touch up as necessary.

Have fun and rock it!!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2010 10:21:00 PM More reviews by Debonair

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It seems like I've been searching forever to find that perfect "Ooo I envy you" red lipstick color. The drugstore red lipsticks just never looked quite right on me. Well I'm elated to say that my search for the perfect red lipstick is over. Ruby Woo oh how I adore you. The color just pops! In a good way of course. When I the mac makeup artist finished putting this little gem on I knew as soon as I looked into my reflection that this was THE red lipstick. I have medium color skin with yellow undertone (I'm Asian if you couldn't guess already) and this color fits me perfectly. When it comes to red lipstick you have to be willing to pay a few extra bucks to get that perfect red. It's worth giving Ruby Woo a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by leblackswan

Will I buy it again?!
Probably for the rest of my life, every time it runs out, I will buy it again.
I actually cannot recommend this enough. I have very very pale skin and dyed black hair, and I tend to not wear any makeup with this lipstick and even that looks amazing!
I line my lips with MAC lipliner in Cherry first (but it's not necessary, the lipstick lasts on it's own) and leave the house!!
One of my male students actually said "I love your red lipstick!" during class the other day (I'm an ESL teacher) and I felt so proud! xD
This lipstick is amazingly sexy and beautiful. A++

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2010 3:59:00 PM More reviews by kvmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love love love this lipstick!

The colour is absolutely perfect for my skintone, and for me is the best lipstick to create the iconic pin-up matte red lip. It isn't teeth whitening, but I look strange when I smile with red lips anyway, and a red lip always brings out the pout-er in me!

Being a matte it is very drying, and unflattering on dry lips, but I apply lip balm when I start my makeup, and by the time I come to apply they're good to go. The wear of this is phenomenal, and I often wear it without a liner.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2010 11:10:00 AM More reviews by sensiluv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I am an NC 45.
Boy, if you need a complexion pick me up, this is it!
I use cork lip-liner then apply. The formula is dry, however the color lasts just about all day long. If you would like a bold color, and feel like you have a sallow complexion like mine, this color will make you look alive!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by boomtownrat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Matte lipsticks - especially red ones - are an obsession for me and MAC seems to do those better than any other brand I've encountered. Ruby Woo is an iconic bright red that feels timeless to me. I know lots of people who do the vintage '40s style wear it but I think it's reminiscent of several eras - for me, it calls the '80s to mind. It's the lipstick that Robert Smith from the Cure wears, but it also makes me feel like I'm in a Depeche Mode video. Even if I'm just wearing a t-shirt and jeans, this lipstick dresses me up and makes me feel glamourous.

I use this with Nyx's Hot Red lipliner and it's a surprisingly good match in spite of the "hot" in the name. Both turn out a pink-toned cherry red on me (NC20, dyed red hair, growing out the natural silver underneath). Ruby Woo makes my lips seem fuller and even though it's bright, it isn't clownish or whorish. I like to wear it with black eyeliner, black mascara, and not much else. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I find that I can easily apply this straight from the tube. It's a little drying but wearing a good lip balm to bed combats that.

Ruby Woo makes me feel pretty, oh so pretty. People might stare, so if you're shy about red lipstick you'll probably want to work your way up to it with lippies that raise their voices just a little rather than shouting at the tops of their lungs.

My only complaint, and it's a slight one, is that I thought Ruby Woo might be more of a true red, but that doesn't stop me from wearing it. I still give it a 5/5 for being a unique, gorgeous colour I want to wear in all kinds of situations.

UPDATE 9/26/2010: Now that I've cut off the dyed parts of my hair and gone with my natural silver, this is almost the only lipstick I ever want to wear! If your hair is silver/grey/white, red lips can really look smashing.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 4:30:00 PM More reviews by superchivagirl

I love it :)))))!!!! This is my favorite red lipstick and it looks so velvety and pretty on my tan skin. I would repurchase 100 times.:)