MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

My favorite red lipstick!
It's a beautiful blueish matte red. I adore it. It's long lasting, highly pigmented and buildable. Perfect.

I love the idea of RED lips...and give them a go every now and again...but always find that when I look back at photos of myself from the night before...I feel that it somehow makes my face look 'fat'...However...I now think it might be because I have been using the wrong reds in the past. Even though they were gorgeous they may not have been right for me.

Ruby Woo...looks really good on I reckon. I'm Eurasian....so in summer time my skin is a bit more olive and here in the midst of winter it's slightly fairer. But like most of these reviews say I think this will look good on most skin tones.

I had a look on the MAC USA website and the MAC UK website...and the colour they show for RUBY WOO is nothing like what it is in real life. But if I had to chose one I think it looks more like the one shown on the US website.

It looks stunning with the MAC REDD lipliner. Makes a huge difference esp for my not so full lips. (I might try to add a pic later)

It feels like a nice matte lipstick. Stays put more or less, although I did have to reapply after stuffing my face for lunch.

I think my new years resolution will be to make this lippy my staple!!

on 11/30/2010 2:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Great red lipstick. I have tan skin and it looks great on me!
I highly recommend. It does stay on after you eat, but obviously it's not as red. I have no problem with drying lips or with the lipstick being hard to apply.

on 11/22/2010 2:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

amazing product, great color, long-lasting. the only thing I dislike about MAC's matte lipsticks is that they make my lips peel. primers help but my lips still get super dry. still love this lipstick and will buy it forever!

on 11/19/2010 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Perfect matt red lip. Colour is really bold, clean red and this lasts. It's nice really carefully applied and layered up, or smudged on and worn with something like Lip Conditioner in Gentle Coral.

I wouldn't feel the need to buy another matt red due to owning this one - but it is still worth owning reds in different textures. Ruby Woo, MAC Red & Ladybug would satisfy me, but add in Lady Danger just for kicks and my red lipstick collection is complete.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I neglected this lipstick for a long time because I found it extremely stiff, and impossible to apply. I got my hands on it recently and oh my god, it is the most long lasting red I ever owned (And I own about 30 red lipsticks). Yes it is stiff and hard to apply but it lasts all night flawlessly, with very minor touch ups. It isn't creamy at all so if you have dry lips better apply some lipbalm beforehand. As for colouring, I am NW20 with dark hair and dark eyes and I was told this lippie looks absolutely stunning on me. It is a very bold, blue red. It is so bold that I wouldn't recommend wearing it with anything else but maybe black eyeliner or very subtle golden/pearl toned eyeshadow. Just gorgeous.

on 11/15/2010 3:00:00 PM

I absolutely adore this lipstick. It's amazing simply due to the beautiful color and how matte it is. I have Russian Red and I think I like this a bit more in terms of the intensity. Ironic thing is the very reason why I like it is also a source of contention for me. I find that it's so matte that it's hard to apply the lipstick onto my lips. I have to press very hard to get the color on, so hard that I feel like I am close to breaking the lipstick in half. Once I get it on my lips, I don't find it too drying, but it does feel like there's a "layer" clinging to my lips. I definitely need a lipliner with this lipstick. If you don't want to deal with the hassel of difficult application or "dryness" I think Russian Red is a better choice as it is more moisturizing and easier to apply and "sits" nicer on your lips. But if you are used to Matte lipsticks and love red lipstick then this is a must have.

on 11/12/2010 1:07:00 AM

Very sexy blue red matte lipstick. This is a great red if your skin has cool undertones and you do not feel comfortable wearing an orange red. You can wear this with liner, I like MAC Spice, if you want a Hollywood glamour look or smudgey for a punkier more casual feel. One word of warning though, do not wear heavy eye makeup with this, you need either eyes or lips not both or you might look like a working girl! Adding. have just purchased new tube and either the formulation is different or this is old stock. It is much drier, so much so that it is dragging my lips and I will have to apply balm first. I tried blasting it with a hair dryer but once it had cooled it went back to dry again.

on 10/31/2010 1:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just realized I must have lost this lipstick, and in my tragic grief I decided to review it in case it feels my pain and comes out of its little hiding place and back into mommy's arms. This is a marvelous, very cool matte red lipstick. When applied lightly it looks like a pinky strawberry color (no yellow in it whatsoever), but I always apply it more heavily for that dramatic red lip effect. Why own a red lipstick if you don't use it to its full potential, right? Due to its blue undertones this makes your teeth appear a little whiter. It stays on for absolutely hours, without being too drying on the lips (given that you've somehow conditioned them beforehand). Normally I'll put this on without lipliner, just for a slightly more casual, everyday look. Will repurchase, especially now I found out it's missing.

on 10/17/2010 7:00:00 AM

This red is really gorgeous. I bought it after reading about it for a couple of years and seeing it on runway after runway on tons of models of different ethnicities, and always used to varying effect- classic, retro, modern. I love the way it looks on me; I'm very pale and it is bright, like a beautiful strawberry. I also like to sheer it out with some lip balm. The vanilla smell is great, too. I don't wear lipstick very much but if I wore this enough to run out, I would definitely replace it because I need it in my life. :)

Popular Lipsticks