MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 9/14/2011 8:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I was very reluctant to buy this lipstick because all the reviews I read were about being a "blue based red" and I am not quite the type who loves blue based reds. However, I went to the MAC counter and tried it on... and loved it. It is NOT blue based at all but a cool red which goes fantastic with any skin tone. It enlightens your complexion in a matter of seconds. I also heard complains about being too dry. Well, in my opinion, this is one of the pros of this lipstick as it doesnīt bleed at all and you only need a bit of lip balm before applying it and thatīs it!. I love Ruby Woo and I think Iīll be repurchasing it for the rest of my life.

on 9/14/2011 8:14:00 AM

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine

This red reminds me of chinese new year (ang pao red), it is very very bright and tends towards a orangy red tone. I like the color, and how it really stays long, but I am not a fan of the really really dry formula. On some days it feels ok, but when my lips are kinda dry, I will add on another MAC lipstick called On Hold. It gives me more moisture, and does not alter the overall color too much.

Ahhh Ruby Woo. I will probably repurchase this color for the rest of my life.

Yes, the formula is dry but this is a Retro Matte; this is vintage-style lipstick so channel your inner Rosie the Riveter. It takes a bit of elbow grease and know-how to make this color work, but anything worth doing is worth doing well.

I pat on Eos balm first, because it's not too greasy, let it sit for a few minutes and then line with NYX Hot Red. This lipstick lasts hours with minimal fuss. I like to wear it with foundation and mascara only for a sleek but not 'too done' look.

on 9/3/2011 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

My favorite red lipstick of all time. Perfect matte finish and looks absolutely beautiful. But a lip primer is vital before applying this because texture makes it hard for the product to glide on easily. A bit drying, but that is something you have to deal with when wearing this lipstick. Lasts all day and hardly transfers. If you enjoy red lipstick, you will love the color of this red not too light nor too deep; just the perfect red.

on 8/26/2011 6:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

The best matte retro red on the market people!!!! Gwen Stefani wears it need I say more. The texture and look is like velvet I have found nothing like it on the market and I've searched high and low. Russian Red (by MAC) is similar but has a darker undertone. Russian red is my HG and Ruby Woo is my evening red. I like to outline it with a darker shade of red to give it more depth. This lipstick is bright and bold so I'd suggest trying it on if you're not a red lipstick lover. If you don't like the dry, matte texture do not buy this lipstick. The finish is old school, no shine, no gloss. Pure retro.

on 8/24/2011 8:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

i think this lipstick is absolutely gorge, prime ur lips, use a darker lipliner, i use chestnut by mac or burgundy by sleeek and put ur ruby woo all over! it comes out very nicely and i think i actually prefer how it looks after been worn for a couple of hours.... however its seriously matte (which makes it better for daytime wear) and would not be enjoyed by people who like glossy lips.

on 8/12/2011 7:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Pow! In your face. I love that about Ruby Woo. It screams, "Hey! Look at me! I am way bolder than you!" But seriously the color is spot on. And boy is it perfectly matte. That being said, it is very dry and takes some effort to glide on the lips. I can only imagine how much harder it will be to apply when I've had it for a while. This can be remedied with a primer or chap stick, so I don't think I'll stop purchasing. The color is so flattering and it lasts! It does not feather on me, even without a primer or a liner. I just had a cheeseburger and a drink, and it only faded slightly in the center of my lips, and there was no ring around the cup! It has exceeded my expectations thus far. I love you, Ruby Woo. Except you feel like chalk on my lips. Oh well, you're sexy so it's only a minor bump in the road.

on 8/6/2011 1:35:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I can't believe the poor ratings below! I love a good red lippie and this is my favourite so far. It is a true red with cool undertones. When I first saw it I passed over it in favour of Russian Red. This time around I was a shade braver and went with this.

It is very dry and drying so you need to treat your lips well before applying. Also a bit of liner is going to keep this from feathering. I love hove this compliments my cool skin tone. I'm NW20 at the minute but a bit lighter in the Winter and have dark hair. It's great for that vintage sort of look.

Not for the shy and retiring. It's a bit of a head turner - in a good way!

I was a little bit disappointed at first that it wore off easily around the corners of my mouth but a little bit of preparatory work and a good lip liner helps solve this problem.

on 8/6/2011 7:25:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Worst lip stick ever! I know everyone loves this, but I think it is so overrated. It's chalky and makes your lips so dry and look chapped even after an exfoliation and moisturise. It's a blue-red which doesn't suit my NC20 skin at all. It smooches (technical term) everywhere too, all around my lips and I look like a clown. I actually recycled this in a Back2MAC even though it was almost full. I just hated it. Lady Danger is my HG red lip stick. It's a 'Matte' formula as well but does not dry out like Ruby Woo. It is also a lot brighter and orange based.

on 8/5/2011 7:50:00 AM

I have been trying out red lipsticks for years. YEARS.
I would always like them in the store, then I would walk out, take pictures, see them in my mirror at home, and just dislike it. I would put up with it because I love red lips, and the lipsticks looked okay on me, but something always was off about them.
Then I found Ruby Woo. This is my holy grail of all makeup products ever.
Let me just start this off by saying this lipstick is NOT for those who have dry lips that are susceptible to chapping. This is a very dry formula, which I like because very matte, and doesn't budge an inch all night. It also looks like a old Hollywood star lip to me, and I don't need to use lipliner or anything.
If you want a matte red lip, but want a less dry formula, try Russian Red from MAC, which is a similar color, butt not as bright in my opinion as Ruby Woo.
I love love love Ruby Woo. I cannot express how much I love it. If it was legal to marry a makeup product, this would be the one.
When I'm lazy and don't feel like doing intricate eye makeup, or putting on eye primer and eyeshadow and the whole 9 yards, but want to look faboosh, I just do my foundation, a bit of powder, a bit of highlighter on my cheeks, and a pinch of blush. I slap this on my kisser and BAM. I look fresh to death.
I used this on my friend with thin lips, and she looked so bombshelly, and it didn't really make her lips look small, she looked pouty and nice. It looks so good with a little bit of highlighter on your cupids bow. BOOM. Yesssss gurl.

Video Reviews & Tutorials