MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I love both Ruby Woo and Russian Red, but on days when my lips feel dry I would use Russian Red, it is not as drying as Ruby Woo. Don't get me wrong, Ruby Woo is my favorite of the two. The finish of Russian Red is not as matte or velvety and the staying power is not as great as Ruby Woo, but the color payoff is almost identical. Ruby Woo is a definite winner for me if I had to choose. I have NC20 skin and they both show us as true red as lipstick goes. Both blue based, and beautiful. I use MAC "Redd" lip liner and it is a perfect red, matte match. With every day use this lipstick will last me well over 3 months, so the price is worth it. I love Ruby Woo and no store-brand lipstick comes close, even if they call it "matte".

on 5/27/2011 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

There is nothing special about the color, which is a bright cherry red, that justifies having to deal with the terrible texture of this lipstick. You can find this color in many other formulas that are almost as long-lasting while feeling much nicer on the lips. Ruby Woo feels heavy and dry on the lips and putting lipbalm under it affects the wear. If you don't care that much about the lasting power, you might as well try another formula. It is, however, rather cheap compared to HE brands. One use I got out of my tube was mixing it with my Film Noir (a dark brown in the MAC Satin formula that is not very long-lasting and is just a little too extreme for me, even though I love dark lipsticks). What I got from the mix (I melted the two together in a small pot, about equal parts Ruby Woo and Film Noir) is a beautiful maroon/burgundy red that is totally wearable for me and has a good lasting power. So if you don't like your tube of Ruby Woo that much, try mixing it with other colors to make them redder or darker and to extend the wear.

on 5/24/2011 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I have mixed feelings about this lipstick. It is a pretty color. However, it's looks like a dark pink on me (especially in photos). I don't mind matte lipstick, but it was so dry that it was hard to apply. I ended up returning this because I was looking for a red lipstick, not a dark pink.

on 5/14/2011 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just purchased Ruby Woo and I LOVE it, I paired it with crimson lipliner also from MAC and it looks super sexy! It makes my teeth look really white! It is a little drying but sometimes there is a price to pay for beauty

on 5/6/2011 8:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I can honestly say it's the most beautiful red shade I've ever seen. It's vidrant blue-based red with a touch of pink. On my pale skin with it seems to blossom. I believe the paler you are the better it looks. Like glowing in a unique way.
Of course it's intense, you can't hide while wearing this. So I use it ocasionaly but I wish I was brave enough to wear it all the time, hehe!
The texture is really matte and yes, it's drying BUT without the matte finish it wouldn't be that perfect. Just be sure your lips are in good shape, use lipbalm and lipliner. That's all!
I never add lipgloss on top 'cause I adore it on its own. Staying power is great as well.
I have friends who only wear natural colours an their lips but once they tried this they loved it as well.
I will buy again for sure. Since I got this I don't even look at other red lipsticks anymore...

on 4/25/2011 5:07:00 AM

This was my first ever MAC lipstick, and i will continue to keep getting this all the time. It is probably the most chalky lipstick i have and it was weird at first, but now im used to it. The color last all day! Definitely one of my top 2 red lipsticks.

on 4/21/2011 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm

This product is definitely matte. It goes on great and the color
itself is nice! It looks like a dupe for a Dolce&Gabbana lipstick in one of their classy reds!

on 4/17/2011 8:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Got this today in my first Back 2 Mac, I was really cautious on picking it as my free lipstick as I'm not fond of the Matte formulation. But wow. Has that been the factor of me falling in love with this lipstick!. Its quite chalky to apply at first, took me a while to get in the groove of but slowly but surely you get a lovely warm red with the promised blue undertones applied nothing less of perfect accuracy.
Im a NC35, but I see it to be a red that can be worn on many skin tones.
I am absolutely in love with this red, cant get enough of it

on 4/14/2011 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I am a dark-skinned black girl with yellow undertones. How can this be? My dad is a black Jamaican and my mom is East Indian. Red has been the most difficult color for me to find! I used to wear Moxie by MAC, then somehow I got lighter and Moxie looked too dark. After that I switched to Russian Red by Mac, that turned out looking too orange and bright after a while. I hope my complexion has settled down because RUBY WOO is the bomb. I don't need to wear any other red. The blue undertones bring out my yellow undertones BEAUTIFULLY, has me looking like a make-up pro! Now I need to find the right pink. Any suggestions from anyone? I am open. If it helps, whenever I buy a foundation, my perfect color is pecan which is sort of yellow-brown.

on 4/2/2011 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

The best red lipstick I've ever come across. Absolutely beautiful, especially paired with a nightmoth or chestnut liner. I'm a NW47 for reference. All my dark skinned queens, do not be afraid of this shade, it looks crazy in the tube but boy oh boy, it is a keeper.

Popular Lipsticks