September 22, 2014 | 1192 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2010 4:36:00 PM More reviews by leblackswan

Will I buy it again?!
Probably for the rest of my life, every time it runs out, I will buy it again.
I actually cannot recommend this enough. I have very very pale skin and dyed black hair, and I tend to not wear any makeup with this lipstick and even that looks amazing!
I line my lips with MAC lipliner in Cherry first (but it's not necessary, the lipstick lasts on it's own) and leave the house!!
One of my male students actually said "I love your red lipstick!" during class the other day (I'm an ESL teacher) and I felt so proud! xD
This lipstick is amazingly sexy and beautiful. A++

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2010 3:59:00 PM More reviews by kvmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love love love this lipstick!

The colour is absolutely perfect for my skintone, and for me is the best lipstick to create the iconic pin-up matte red lip. It isn't teeth whitening, but I look strange when I smile with red lips anyway, and a red lip always brings out the pout-er in me!

Being a matte it is very drying, and unflattering on dry lips, but I apply lip balm when I start my makeup, and by the time I come to apply they're good to go. The wear of this is phenomenal, and I often wear it without a liner.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/16/2010 11:10:00 AM More reviews by sensiluv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference, I am an NC 45.
Boy, if you need a complexion pick me up, this is it!
I use cork lip-liner then apply. The formula is dry, however the color lasts just about all day long. If you would like a bold color, and feel like you have a sallow complexion like mine, this color will make you look alive!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by boomtownrat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Matte lipsticks - especially red ones - are an obsession for me and MAC seems to do those better than any other brand I've encountered. Ruby Woo is an iconic bright red that feels timeless to me. I know lots of people who do the vintage '40s style wear it but I think it's reminiscent of several eras - for me, it calls the '80s to mind. It's the lipstick that Robert Smith from the Cure wears, but it also makes me feel like I'm in a Depeche Mode video. Even if I'm just wearing a t-shirt and jeans, this lipstick dresses me up and makes me feel glamourous.

I use this with Nyx's Hot Red lipliner and it's a surprisingly good match in spite of the "hot" in the name. Both turn out a pink-toned cherry red on me (NC20, dyed red hair, growing out the natural silver underneath). Ruby Woo makes my lips seem fuller and even though it's bright, it isn't clownish or whorish. I like to wear it with black eyeliner, black mascara, and not much else. Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I find that I can easily apply this straight from the tube. It's a little drying but wearing a good lip balm to bed combats that.

Ruby Woo makes me feel pretty, oh so pretty. People might stare, so if you're shy about red lipstick you'll probably want to work your way up to it with lippies that raise their voices just a little rather than shouting at the tops of their lungs.

My only complaint, and it's a slight one, is that I thought Ruby Woo might be more of a true red, but that doesn't stop me from wearing it. I still give it a 5/5 for being a unique, gorgeous colour I want to wear in all kinds of situations.

UPDATE 9/26/2010: Now that I've cut off the dyed parts of my hair and gone with my natural silver, this is almost the only lipstick I ever want to wear! If your hair is silver/grey/white, red lips can really look smashing.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 4:30:00 PM More reviews by superchivagirl

I love it :)))))!!!! This is my favorite red lipstick and it looks so velvety and pretty on my tan skin. I would repurchase 100 times.:)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2010 12:26:00 AM More reviews by owpetcoff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2010 3:27:00 PM More reviews by jensmakeupbag

Oh ruby woo...you have definitely woo'ed me!

CONS:
-a little drying
-matte so it can look a little flat
-must use a lip pencil (imo)
-better applied with a lip brush for better control

PROS:
-a true, bright red!
-can put some gloss on top for that sexy pout
-stays on all night
-had to touch up once when I wore this in vegas after dancing all night
-anyone can wear this red
-buildable and sheer color can be done (depending on how you apply)

Summary:
This is my very first red lipstick purchase and probably my last. I love this color! It's a MATTE red so beware. It may feel a little drying but you can definitely add a little lipgloss on top. My trick: the first thing I do in my makeup routine is put lip balm on. It will moisturize your lips the whole routine and your lips will be ready for any color at the end of the routine. If I do this, the matte red is not so scary. I think a lip pencil is a must with this. I use REDD by MAC. It's a beautiful combination! My favorite red!

A suggested look with Ruby Woo lipstick (for NC40 girls/guys)

EYES
Lid: MAC All that Glitters e/s
Crease: MAC Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in Medium Deep
Liner: MAC Blacktrack fluidline winged out further than usual at the ends

FACE
Foundation: MAC Face and Body Foundation (waterproof and stays on all night for clubbing nights)
Set foundation: MAC Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in Medium Tan
Contour/Bronzer: MAC Mineralized Skinfinish Natural in Medium Deep (same color in crease of eyes)
Blush: MAC Mineralized blush in Nuance
Highlight cheek bones: Benefit High Beam for that all over dewy glow

LIPS
Your favorite balm (mine is aquaphor)
MAC Ruby Woo lipstick
MAC Redd lipliner
a little concealer to make your lips perfect (outside the edge of your lips) with a MAC 266 brush

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by kam6761

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's REALLY hard to find a good matte red lipstick, but this definitely fits the bill. It's cool toned, so it won't make your teeth look super yellow, and I love how vivid a color it is. When I wear it I can't help but feel more confident, and always get tons of compliments. I agree with the other reviews that it feels bit drying, but I just top it with a gloss (sometimes Russian Red l/g, sometimes just a clear) and it makes my lips feel much more moisturized. Overall, my favorite red lipstick and I would definitely purchase again, if I ever run out (red lipstick is not really an everyday thing for me, so this should last awhile!).

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2010 12:16:00 PM More reviews by sofiaSa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this product as a recommendation from a makeup artist, in order to achieve long lasting perfect red. Wow, it really did deliver everything promised. Stayed on all night, with minimal even no topping up..
the only downside is that it really dried my lips and gave this stretching feeling.. When I put some gloss on it for moisture mostly, it stayed on.. Very good product

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2010 5:39:00 AM More reviews by theresababy84

This has been my favorite lipstick for well over a year. I love red lipsticks but have a hard time finding the perfect one, Im not into really shiney glossy lipsticks, theyre just messy and gross to me. I bought ruby roo and fell in love...perfect shade for my tone, stays on all day, and i get tons of compliments every time i wear it. i eat and drink in this stuff and it stays without reapplying. First wearing it, i found it was a bit drying but add a little balm under before applying and its perfect. This will always be my favorite lipstick. and lipsticks this matte are hard to fine when not purchasing mac!