MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

I LOVE this lippie! Every time I go out I get compliments on it! The color, I feel, is universally flattering and yes drying but it is a Mac lipstick and I feel the gorgeous color payoff is worth it. Just make sure to exfoliate and apply balm then primer before application. The only other thing needed to carry this color is a healthy dose of confidence and a smile!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I've tried many matte lipsticks and I can honestly say Ruby Woo is the best one of all. Yes, it's drying, but that's kind of what you expect with a mat lipstick. I use lipbalm 5min before I apply the lipstick and I don't feel my lips chapped or dry at all. It stays on FOREVER! And when I kiss my boyfriend I don't see a red stain in his cheek anymore.

Ruby Woo it's a great red lipstick and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes longwearing lipsticka that give you that 40s/50s look.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have Russian Red, but wanted something a little more muted. This takes some getting used to. I had to get lip liner so it would not feather. But that is because I am over 40. Also, you need to moisturize before applying.
RW is a blue red. Matte. Long lasting and well pigmented.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Disappointed by Ruby Woo. My first red MAC lippie.
After buying this, I realised MAC had changed it's description of this from 'blue-toned' to 'orange'... Does this mean the formula changed too? Well, I bought it thinking it would suit my fair, neutral toned skin. It doesn't.
And it goes with out saying that you shouldn't even consider using this unless your lips are in top-top, moisturised condition.
I'm going to continue using this as a lip stain until it runs out (or, with a darker blue based red lipgloss over top), until I can afford MAC's 'MAC Red' or 'Russian Red'..

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Awesome colour. It look intimidating in the case, but I love it. It was my first red purchase...I was afraid of colour for a long time lol. I am a very dark chocolate skintone. MAC NW50/55, N9, with red undertones. so finding colours that complement me well can be very tricky. I love how this red is so buildable and has cool undertones. It can be a sheer wash of red or an intense punch of colour. Fabulous for day or night.

Out of the hundreds of red lipsticks in my collection, this is by far the best. I favour mattes when it comes to reds, so this was a must-have. One of the first things I noticed about Ruby Woo is the amazing smell (it smells like cake!) and it's my first MAC lipstick so I'm not sure if they all smell this great. Then I noted how matte is really is. It's almost dry, so it's very important to apply lip balm/a treatment and allow that to absorb beforehand. I have cool, fair skin so picking out the perfect red lipstick can be tricky, but it suits my skin tone perfectly. This is my HG red lippy!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Perfect red lipstick!
It has a blue undertone to it, which suits 'almost' everyone.

I think it's just me who doesn't like this colour...

I'm NW 15 and on my it's really bright, almost childish even. also the lipstick is super dry, I can never apply it with my brush.

I usually have lip balm on at least five minutes before I use Ruby woo as it's super dry. this makes it easier to apply but doesn't cause it to melt.

it's a very durable colour, seriously doesn't budge from my lips but I can only wear it when I'm tanned. not my favorite =/

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

After looking for a red lipstick for a while, I ended up buying Ruby Woo because it seemed to be one of the most talked-about shades. I really love the colour (it does seem like a magic shade that suits almost everybody), and the fact that it doesn't budge. That said, the first time I wore it it ended up feeling quite cake-y and drying on my lips by the end of the day. I've played around and found that if I put on a tiny bit of lip balm (I use Lucas's Paw Paw Ointment), then apply Ruby Woo, it still sticks to my lips like glue but doesn't dry them out as much.

This is my first MAC Lipstick and most certainly not my last.

worth every single penny in my book.

Video Reviews & Tutorials