February 1, 2015 | 1900 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2010 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Nicola82

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Perfect matt red lip. Colour is really bold, clean red and this lasts. It's nice really carefully applied and layered up, or smudged on and worn with something like Lip Conditioner in Gentle Coral.

I wouldn't feel the need to buy another matt red due to owning this one - but it is still worth owning reds in different textures. Ruby Woo, MAC Red & Ladybug would satisfy me, but add in Lady Danger just for kicks and my red lipstick collection is complete.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by pennywhistlepoem

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I neglected this lipstick for a long time because I found it extremely stiff, and impossible to apply. I got my hands on it recently and oh my god, it is the most long lasting red I ever owned (And I own about 30 red lipsticks). Yes it is stiff and hard to apply but it lasts all night flawlessly, with very minor touch ups. It isn't creamy at all so if you have dry lips better apply some lipbalm beforehand. As for colouring, I am NW20 with dark hair and dark eyes and I was told this lippie looks absolutely stunning on me. It is a very bold, blue red. It is so bold that I wouldn't recommend wearing it with anything else but maybe black eyeliner or very subtle golden/pearl toned eyeshadow. Just gorgeous.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2010 3:00:00 PM More reviews by ginger9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely adore this lipstick. It's amazing simply due to the beautiful color and how matte it is. I have Russian Red and I think I like this a bit more in terms of the intensity. Ironic thing is the very reason why I like it is also a source of contention for me. I find that it's so matte that it's hard to apply the lipstick onto my lips. I have to press very hard to get the color on, so hard that I feel like I am close to breaking the lipstick in half. Once I get it on my lips, I don't find it too drying, but it does feel like there's a "layer" clinging to my lips. I definitely need a lipliner with this lipstick. If you don't want to deal with the hassel of difficult application or "dryness" I think Russian Red is a better choice as it is more moisturizing and easier to apply and "sits" nicer on your lips. But if you are used to Matte lipsticks and love red lipstick then this is a must have.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2010 1:07:00 AM More reviews by BigEars

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Very sexy blue red matte lipstick. This is a great red if your skin has cool undertones and you do not feel comfortable wearing an orange red. You can wear this with liner, I like MAC Spice, if you want a Hollywood glamour look or smudgey for a punkier more casual feel. One word of warning though, do not wear heavy eye makeup with this, you need either eyes or lips not both or you might look like a working girl! Adding. have just purchased new tube and either the formulation is different or this is old stock. It is much drier, so much so that it is dragging my lips and I will have to apply balm first. I tried blasting it with a hair dryer but once it had cooled it went back to dry again.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 1:21:00 PM More reviews by Mandibulo

I just realized I must have lost this lipstick, and in my tragic grief I decided to review it in case it feels my pain and comes out of its little hiding place and back into mommy's arms. This is a marvelous, very cool matte red lipstick. When applied lightly it looks like a pinky strawberry color (no yellow in it whatsoever), but I always apply it more heavily for that dramatic red lip effect. Why own a red lipstick if you don't use it to its full potential, right? Due to its blue undertones this makes your teeth appear a little whiter. It stays on for absolutely hours, without being too drying on the lips (given that you've somehow conditioned them beforehand). Normally I'll put this on without lipliner, just for a slightly more casual, everyday look. Will repurchase, especially now I found out it's missing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2010 7:00:00 AM More reviews by AlexC730

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This red is really gorgeous. I bought it after reading about it for a couple of years and seeing it on runway after runway on tons of models of different ethnicities, and always used to varying effect- classic, retro, modern. I love the way it looks on me; I'm very pale and it is bright, like a beautiful strawberry. I also like to sheer it out with some lip balm. The vanilla smell is great, too. I don't wear lipstick very much but if I wore this enough to run out, I would definitely replace it because I need it in my life. :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/16/2010 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Kdoll222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

What a pretty red! its so complimentary to my NC 25 with olive undertone skintone. It is hard to pick a red for a lot of women, and I find ruby woo to be a great all skintype suited red. It works on me, my dark tanned friend, my pale friend, and my light/medium friend. I have seen it work on so many people, and it is so classic and sophisticated. Love it, and love MAC for creating greatness!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/11/2010 4:20:00 AM More reviews by pinknplush

This is a nice retro true-red lipstick. I just gave it three lippies bec of its consistency, way too drying that you can't swipe (literally) on your nude lips. You have to pile up on lip balm before applying this. Formula is super matte though it's lasting power is really good. If you're looking for a deeper red lipstick then I don't recommend this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2010 5:26:00 AM More reviews by ryden_gorey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best red lipstick ever. What have I been doing with all these other lipsticks all this time?! Goes on beautifully and thick, but because it's so matte it dries on my lips and I can't feel it nearly as much as I would feel creamy lipstick coating my lips. This is great for me because it stops me from messing with it. The staying power is great. It may require a touch up every now and then, but I haven't pulled a mirror out and noticed half my lipstick has been wiped off or faded away while using this. Though it won't moisturize lips since it's matte, it doesn't seem to dry them out either. The color is great. It's a true blue red. This is the first red lipstick I've worn that my boyfriend doesn't hate. I attribute that to how well it wears (going on well, not smearing easily, nice coverage, etc.). My only issue is that the lipstick itself seems like it will dry out faster and have a shorter life span than other lipsticks due to it being so matte, but it's a small price to pay for how well it works. A lip brush would help with the applying, even if the lipstick gets drier.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2010 2:39:00 PM More reviews by xoxo007

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was an impulse buy for me lol. I went o my local Mac counter for some other things and decided I wanted a red lipstick. The MA recommended this one becasue its matte. I own a few red lipsticks even tho I wont dare wear them because they just don't look right on me. She told me the key to wearing red lipstick is for it to be matte so its bold but not too much. She was right. I tried it on and omg... had to have it. The fact that its matte makes such a big difference in pulling off red lipstick. Its the perfect darker red. I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a perfect red lipstick.