MAC Retro Matte - Ruby Woo

4.4

on 4/14/2011 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I am a dark-skinned black girl with yellow undertones. How can this be? My dad is a black Jamaican and my mom is East Indian. Red has been the most difficult color for me to find! I used to wear Moxie by MAC, then somehow I got lighter and Moxie looked too dark. After that I switched to Russian Red by Mac, that turned out looking too orange and bright after a while. I hope my complexion has settled down because RUBY WOO is the bomb. I don't need to wear any other red. The blue undertones bring out my yellow undertones BEAUTIFULLY, has me looking like a make-up pro! Now I need to find the right pink. Any suggestions from anyone? I am open. If it helps, whenever I buy a foundation, my perfect color is pecan which is sort of yellow-brown.

on 4/2/2011 4:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

The best red lipstick I've ever come across. Absolutely beautiful, especially paired with a nightmoth or chestnut liner. I'm a NW47 for reference. All my dark skinned queens, do not be afraid of this shade, it looks crazy in the tube but boy oh boy, it is a keeper.

on 3/21/2011 6:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I would call this a universally flattering shade of red. I think this is absolutely perfect for my colouring, and will work well on anyone regardless of how pale or dark they are! It is very long lasting too, being a matte.

The only problem I had was with how dry it was. I've used mattes before, but this is something else! I couldn't even apply it directly from the tube because it was so dry, which makes topping up difficult as I don't like to carry a lip brush around everywhere. It's also a pain to remove, but otherwise a very good lipstick, probably one of the better reds out there.

on 3/11/2011 8:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I L-O-V-E this lipstick, I'm an NW 47 so I'm pretty dark and I have a fear of color especially red lipstick I can never find one that looks good against my dark cool skin. I went to the MAC counter and she told me to try russian red but first she put ruby woo on me I loved it and all the girls that work at the MAC counter loved the color on me. I love it I want to go buy another tube so I never run out lol. this is a great red color for brown skin divas very flattering and it stays on all day and all night and doesn't transfer or kiss off :-) it also looks cute with the wonder woman gloss over it if you have the extra cash to spend

on 3/9/2011 7:08:00 PM

Love the colour, it really suits my skin tone, however I found the formula to be very drying which made it hard to keep it looking good for any length of time and I found myself having to completely remove before reapplying. However it has good staying power with very little transfer. Very disappointed that my local mac counter did not have a good match in its lip liner range and I had to go elsewhere. However I probably will not purchase this again anyway, its just too much maintenance for a night out.

on 3/8/2011 1:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

OK. This is a review for all my Over-50 MUA girls out there.
Lately, I've been becoming pretty bold with the lipstick thing. (I wrote another review regarding a Maybelline lipstick of my daughter's which I really liked). I recently saw an ad in which a makeup artist explained the use of concealer to prep the lips for a deep, red lipstick. Naturally I was intrigued because it has been years since I even wore lipstick with a color..so here goes:

Over the weekend I was lurking the MAC counter at my local Nordstrom store. I was checking out the lipsticks. Matte. I saw this one lipstick the color was a beautiful red--not an orangey red, but a lovely, lovely flattering red. It was magnetic. I tried it on my hand to see if it would turn orange. It did not. I turned the tube over to see the name of the lipstick. "Ruby Woo". OMG. This lipstick called to me. Last week, our 16-year old Yellow Lab, Ruby passed away. Was this my Ruby's way of letting me know she was in a better place. When the S/A came over to me, I was in a daze..and after explaining the story to her, the rest of my lipstick experience was nothing short of great. I also decided to purchase the retractable lipstick brush--why not? So I went home and started playing with my Ruby Woo. I'm telling you, with a dot of primer, concealer very carefully applied around my mouth and well-blended (I use erase paste with a light hand), I prepped my mouth for the most lush, delicious looking red around. My mouth appeared to be twenty years younger and I ended up with a lighter hand in applying my eye makeup.
Listen--I'm one of those women who, in the past has said. "WOMEN OVER 50 SHOULD NOT WEAR RED LIPSTICK" I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!

We CAN wear red lipstick--especially the dramatic and georgeous and cheeky Ruby Woo!

on 3/6/2011 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

So....this is just MEH to me. I feel like its such a pinkish red and not easy to wear. I work for MAC and I usually don't show this if someone comes in looking for a red. To me, Russian Red and Viva Glam I are both much more universally flattering than Ruby Woo. Also, the ultra matte texture is horrid. This DOES look good on a few, and I mean a FEW women I have seen wearing it but not many. This is the red lipstick verison on Myth. So many women like it but most just don't look right in it without a lot of work. For a red to REALLY work with you, you should be able to throw it on without liner or gloss and it should still look beautiful. Same with a nude lip. If it makes you look like death without liner and gloss its the wrong color for you. Now both reds and nudes look MUCH better with gloss and liner but if a lipstick doesn't work alone its a pass in my book. To me this is a pass on SOOOO many people. I guess at the end of the day if it makes YOU feel beautiful that is all that matters!

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

AMAZING red lipstick, especially for my darker brown skin! I'm somewhere between an NW47 & NC50 in MAC--Cappucino & Mocha in Revlon Colorstay and wow....this is the red lip i've been looking for! It's amazing, the slightly blue undertones play great with my skin's yellow undertones so it's not OVERLY bright like the other red lipstick I own from NYX (Electra i believe). It goes on really smooth if you have on a thin layer of moisturizer/chap stick underneath and dries matte (duh). If you are new to lipstick you may find it a tad bit harder to put on but it's easily cleaned up with makeup remover on a q-tip but it is SOoooOOoo worth it. The slightly blue undertones also make you're teeth look WHITER as opposed to yellow (yikes!) I will definitely be repurchasing whenever i run out. :)

on 3/3/2011 2:31:00 AM

I have always been afraid of wearing red lipstick but Ruby Woo took all my fears away. This lipstick is amazing and goes with everyone perfectly. It's not the easiest to work with but just line your lips and use a brush and you should be fine. I should warn you that it is very dry so if that bothers you, i guess it's not the lipstick for you but all in all it's very pretty and worth the $.

on 3/2/2011 11:48:00 PM

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

This is my all-time favorite lipstick. I've been wearing it for about 6 years, and I always rebuy as soon as I start to run low. It's a true, bright red with a matte finish, and it doesn't go anywhere if you apply it properly. The only downside I can see is that this is a lipstick that REQUIRES good setup. Hydrated, exfoliated lips, a lip primer, liner, and THEN the lipstick.

I hope they never stop making this one.

Popular Lipsticks