MAC # 239 Eye Shader Brush

4.7

on 7/10/2008 8:32:00 AM

I have to say that the 239 is my ultimate HG eye brush. This brush is great for applying and blending both bold and subtle eyeshadow looks. The dense white goat hairs in this brush pick up plenty of product and apply it thickly and precisely (unlike fluffier brushes). I can get very bright, bold, dense applications with this brush.

Since discovering the 239, I have seen an improvement in my eye makeup work. Once my base is done (too faced shadow insurance), I like to quickly pack on the pigment or eyeshadow of my choice. The MAC 239 brush is perfect for that.

Here is what MAC says about this brush:
Soft and dense to shade or blend eye shadow or emollient-based products. This brush has a tapered, rounded edge with smooth, firm, fine fibers. It can be used to build intense colour on the eyelid. M∑A∑C professional brushes are hand-sculpted and assembled using the finest quality materials. They feature birch, linden and ramin wood handles, nickel-plated brass ferrules.

The brush comes in a clear plastic sheath- not a box or bubble pack. Although it does not say, I am reasonably sure that this particular brush is made from goat hair. The 239 is best used for loading up with powder and then gently packing the pigment/shadow in the lid OVER a nice gripping eyeshadow base.

A quick tip I want to share is to put clear nail polish over the 239 wording on the brush. This will ensure it doesn't fade so you know which brush you're using (although the 239 is very distinguishable!)

Great brush; slightly pricey, but worth it.

on 7/8/2008 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

At first I was surprised to see this white bristled brush when it arrived, since I ordered the 263 angled brush to practice on fluidlines.

In the beginning i was just keeping it in the corner in case mac wants me to send it back. Then went to search on produce reviews and found out it had a high rating.

Call MAC cs and they said i can keep it.

I tried it on naked lunch. Usually my e/s shading brush is stila #5, i did a comparison of both brush applications and noticed that the 239 is a bit stiffer than stila #5 but i was able to see more of the NL on my lids . This might replace stila #5.

And i love the white bristled brushes from MAC.

on 7/6/2008 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Overall rating: This is an HG product for me! It's the only "professional" make up brush I own, and I'd be a mess without it! I'm not a *huge* makeup wearer. Most of the product I wear is on my eyes, and this brush make any eyeshadow a dream to pick up and apply. I have two of these and wash them weekly. They are both still white and have not shed at all!
Price: Reasonable, between $15 and $20.
Packaging: Not applicable.
Would I buy again: Yes, if I needed to :-) continued >>

on 6/22/2008 2:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I love it and I'd but it again but I am going to purchase some craft brushes from Loew Cornell and see how they compare since Ive heard so much about them. My 239 is a lovely staple in my Mac train case though. I definitely would buy it again.

on 6/20/2008 1:07:00 PM

I bought this brush because even though I really like my MAC 213 brush, it was difficult to get more saturated color with that brush because it is so soft and flexible. My 239 brush is a bit stiffer (but still soft) and seems to pick and deposit color better. I wouldn't want to be without either brush! : )

on 6/17/2008 11:31:00 AM

I adore this brush! It's the perfect size, shape, and stiffness for applying eyeshadow to my eye. I can use the tip for the crease or for the outer lower lashline. The size is just small enough to apply eyeshadow where I want it, and it picks up and deposits color great. Can't say enough about this brush; it's definitely a must have. The 217 is too large and fluffy and soft for me and doesn't do much more than blending. It also loses its shape pretty easily. If you get one MAC brush, it ought to be the 239 because it is a multi-tasker.

on 6/8/2008 3:04:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

This brush would be one of the very few eye brushes I use on a daily basis! This brush would have been the first MAC brush I purchased but stupid enough it wasn't.. lol.. As most of the reviewers have already said that this brush does an awesome wicked job for packing on colour all over the lid area.. Sometimes I use this brush to apply colour on the outer crease if I'm doing a dramatic/smokey look.. but other than that I use it for applying eyeshadow all over the lid.

If you don't have this brush then I HIGHLY recommend you into getting one!

Above average.

I bought this to be used together with MAC's LE Solar Bits which are different from their regular pigments and really need a firm brush. I found that the 239 does not pick up the product well (probably because the Solar Bits are clusters rather than finely milled particles), however for my pigments, they are very good.

The brush handle seems like it's plastic even though I know it's wood... I dunno it's very light and seems kinda cheap. I prefer heavier wooden handles to give more control (ya, know like reflex hammers, the heavier, the easier to use).

This size of this brush makes it really easy to use for your lid color, it's perfect all-over application for building up my lighter shades. I have to say, the #239 used with my #217 is a dream team.... the #239 to apply the colors and the #217 to blend them together perfectly.

My best experience has been with the white haired eye brushes, they just REFUSE to shed and wash well and dry quickly after a deep clean. They're not cheap, MAC brushes never are, I payed 27.50EUR for my #239, although I believe it retails for $24.50USD. If you're contemplating a basic e/s brush for all-over color though, run out and get it! You can justify the money for the amount of times you'll use it (everyday!) and you'll be set for years. Of course a good tip is always to swipe one coat of clear nail polish over the brush number... they're not embossed so will fade off with time, clear nail polish keeps it there permanently.

on 5/26/2008 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

If youíre just beginning to buy makeup brushes, do not forget about this one!! A must-have for MAC brush fans and anyone starting out. The #239 is a basic shader brush that everyone needs in their collection. I donít use it for blending, only all over application, but it does its one job so well, I donít mind that itís not as versatile as some of my other brushes. This brush is made of white goat hair with a rounded, tapered edge. Itís easy to build up colour with the #239.. I like to alternate it with the #219 pencil brush for areas I want a lot of pigment. Treat this brush well and it will reward you with its long life:) Iíve had mine for about two years and it works perfectly. A definite repurchase (sometime in the distant future) for me!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials