November 26, 2014 | 1793 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - # 239 Eye Shader Brush

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2008 11:31:00 AM More reviews by Melodiee

I adore this brush! It's the perfect size, shape, and stiffness for applying eyeshadow to my eye. I can use the tip for the crease or for the outer lower lashline. The size is just small enough to apply eyeshadow where I want it, and it picks up and deposits color great. Can't say enough about this brush; it's definitely a must have. The 217 is too large and fluffy and soft for me and doesn't do much more than blending. It also loses its shape pretty easily. If you get one MAC brush, it ought to be the 239 because it is a multi-tasker.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2008 3:04:00 AM More reviews by Espiion

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brush would be one of the very few eye brushes I use on a daily basis! This brush would have been the first MAC brush I purchased but stupid enough it wasn't.. lol.. As most of the reviewers have already said that this brush does an awesome wicked job for packing on colour all over the lid area.. Sometimes I use this brush to apply colour on the outer crease if I'm doing a dramatic/smokey look.. but other than that I use it for applying eyeshadow all over the lid.

If you don't have this brush then I HIGHLY recommend you into getting one!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2008 4:47:00 PM More reviews by ceciliathegreat

Above average.

I bought this to be used together with MAC's LE Solar Bits which are different from their regular pigments and really need a firm brush. I found that the 239 does not pick up the product well (probably because the Solar Bits are clusters rather than finely milled particles), however for my pigments, they are very good.

The brush handle seems like it's plastic even though I know it's wood... I dunno it's very light and seems kinda cheap. I prefer heavier wooden handles to give more control (ya, know like reflex hammers, the heavier, the easier to use).

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2008 3:07:00 PM More reviews by lyndseylou42

This size of this brush makes it really easy to use for your lid color, it's perfect all-over application for building up my lighter shades. I have to say, the #239 used with my #217 is a dream team.... the #239 to apply the colors and the #217 to blend them together perfectly.

My best experience has been with the white haired eye brushes, they just REFUSE to shed and wash well and dry quickly after a deep clean. They're not cheap, MAC brushes never are, I payed 27.50EUR for my #239, although I believe it retails for $24.50USD. If you're contemplating a basic e/s brush for all-over color though, run out and get it! You can justify the money for the amount of times you'll use it (everyday!) and you'll be set for years. Of course a good tip is always to swipe one coat of clear nail polish over the brush number... they're not embossed so will fade off with time, clear nail polish keeps it there permanently.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 7:25:00 PM More reviews by smurfkitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If youíre just beginning to buy makeup brushes, do not forget about this one!! A must-have for MAC brush fans and anyone starting out. The #239 is a basic shader brush that everyone needs in their collection. I donít use it for blending, only all over application, but it does its one job so well, I donít mind that itís not as versatile as some of my other brushes. This brush is made of white goat hair with a rounded, tapered edge. Itís easy to build up colour with the #239.. I like to alternate it with the #219 pencil brush for areas I want a lot of pigment. Treat this brush well and it will reward you with its long life:) Iíve had mine for about two years and it works perfectly. A definite repurchase (sometime in the distant future) for me!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 4:22:00 PM More reviews by babieedoll

This brush is ok for the lids, that's about it, it sucks at blending I don't like this for the crease as some people do. I wouldn't buy this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2008 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Eva16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I'm very much in love with this brush! It is so versatile - I can apply on my lid, crease & brow with this one brush. This is combination with the 224 brush will pretty much be all you need to apply your shadows.

I love the way that this brush feels so soft on my eyes, not scratchy at all. It picks up just the right amount of colour on the brush, & you can layer the shadows really easily & quickly to create a more intense look with this brush.

It blends very well, but I like to use this with my 224 brush (this is a better blender than the 239 I think)...the 2 of them together gives me airbrushed eyes, which look smooth & gorgeous.

I honestly don't know how I lived without this brush! Would definately repurchase.

Before I forget: Do NOT purchase MAC brushes from ebay! 99.9% of them are fake, & I purchased one of them (the 239 brush)...big mistake! I had to complain for ages to get a refund so I could repurchase the real brush from the MAC store :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2008 5:04:00 PM More reviews by rbella

I love this brush so much it makes me want to cry. It picks up color beautifully and the stiffness of the brush is just right for application on the lid, crease or highlight. I use it so much that I am thinking of investing in about 2 more. I have washed this baby about 40 times (with Cinema Secrets make brush cleanser) and it still performs as intended. I love it and if I ever lost it I don't think I would leave my house until I got a new one to apply my eyeshadow.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2008 12:23:00 PM More reviews by itsgail

I'm upset...I don't understand why I'm not liking this??

I bought it as it is apparently essential, along with 217.
217 is great, I love it. 187 face brush also wonderful. i.e I am willing to believe MAC know their stuff when it comes to a good brush. And I spend a fortune on products...although it's easier to pay for a load of gorgeous eyeshadows than on one eyeshadow brush. Anyway I digress. I tried this instore and I wasn't sure, in fact I didn't buy it. But then Enkore (Koren) said I needed it and I worship him, and the reviews also amazing, so I doubted myself and went back to buy it.

I have big eyelids and I just feel this is too small..and just not anything unique. Yes it's stiffer than your average but other than that application is not transformed. N.B-. I was using a Lancome brush before, so maybe if I went from a cheapy one I'd be amazed?
Well today I bought the huge Prescriptives shadow brush, also £17.50 (a lot!!) but it feels way better for me. I'll keep this as my 'outer v' brush, and use new one for all over lid.

Just goes to show that if something doesn't feel 'right' sometimes you should trust yourself. But who am I kidding I will always follow what my beloved MUA community is cheering. I'll have to try and see what you all see...

but no, would not repurchase.

//edit/// if you have big eyes and big crease, you are better off with 272. It's just like 239 but somewhat fluffier, and angled. Brilliant brush. (Much better)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2008 4:48:00 AM More reviews by jessicaho

This is one of my first MAC brushes I've ever purchased. It's very soft and fluffy and it doesn't feel scratchy or poke you at all. It picks up colour very nicely and it's quite good for blending, too. I use it to apply shadow to my brow bone, apply lid colour and to blend. I've washed it after every time I've used it and the bristles are still white, have kept their shape, and haven't shed at all. My gripes about this product are minor: the MAC lettering in silver on the handle is scratching off, but that's about it. I got it for 29.95CAD, so it was a bit steep for me, but I don't expect it to die on me anytime soon. For argument's sake, I will repurchase.