July 29, 2014 | 1114 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2008 10:07:00 PM More reviews by chyron

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I've been using Retin-A cream 0.025 for almost 5 months. When I began, I had a minimal amount of acne. But it was constantly there. I tried everything to get rid of it. So, I had light acne, increasing scarring and dry worn-looking skin (because of all the harsh products I was using).
When I first started, I was using it every other day. My skin couldn't handle every day. And it seemed ok- no immediate improvement, but it wasn't destroying my skin. Then, after a few weeks, I started to get more acne- more than I'd started with and in places that I've never had acne before. On top of that, my skin began to look really ruddy and unclear. And every few days it would peel- particularly on my chin, around my nose and under my eyes. Luckily, I'd read on this board that it may take awhile,so I stuck with it and the results are well worth it (thank goodness!!!). Just recently, my skin has shown a remarkable improvement. It's far more even toned, the acne is pretty much all gone and the scars are fading rapidly. So, for anyone needing encouragement- just stay on it a little while longer. It took me a very long time to see any positive results and then, almost overnight, they appeared. Also, my wrinkles seem far less pronounced. In fact, my crows feet are only visible when I smile now- and they had become rather pronounced with all of the drying products that I was using- they were getting longer by the day it seemed.

Also, as a sidenote, I wait about 1/2 hour after I wash my face before applying a pea-sized amount of retin-a. In the morning, I use a wash cloth to gently remove flaky skin while washing my face. And then I apply Alpha Hydrox 10% glycolic gel- wait about 15 min. and then apply moisturizer and sunscreen. Though the Alpha Hydrox can sting occationally if my skin was a bit sensitive, it seems to help get rid of flaky skin.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2008 11:13:00 AM More reviews by cakespender

I suffer from adult acne and truthfully the only things I have found to help are rounds of Accutane ( which I hope to NEVER endure again after 2 long rounds) and Retin A. I was using Retin A for well over a year and just got so busy that when my perscription ran out I just didnt have time to go to my doc and get a refill, well I stopped for the last 8 months or so and am right back to square 1, face breaking out constantly and lost that glow I had from having gone through the pain period of Retin A and come out on the good side.
So now I am back in the first week of use and doing the whole, peeling, purging process again. On a side note, the pharmacist once substituted the generic cream for my Retin A and it was TERRIBLE, very thick and oily and made my skin nosedive. Now I make it a point to ask for the brand Retin A whenever I turn in my prescription.
Also I hated that the tube would cost $40.00 and that it was ALWAYS half empty, i would get halfway through it and then hit a air pocket and it was empty after the air!!!!! I asked the pharmacist about this and he gave me some lame reasoning, well with this new tube it is much bigger than I was previously getting. He mentioned right away that they had addressed the air pocket problem and just made the tubes bigger?!?! why not just ........not fill it with air?????
anyways, this product does work wonders, you just cant give up, my best results come after about a solid 5 months of use. I go from using a heavy thick foundation to either a thin film of mineral make up or none at all which is a FIRST for me.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by kyasha

This is a review for Retin-a Micro in a tube 0.1% strength, a yellow cream, available by prescription. The difference between Retin-a and Retin-a Micro is that you can immediately apply Retin-a Micro after washing face, and Retin-A Micro also prevents shine on T-zone. This is HG for acne prevention and anti-aging effects. You can use it for spot treatment (apply to the pimple at night, in the morning it is gone!), but it is best for prevention. I cover my forehead with it at night. It does create small amounts of flaking sometimes for me. Beware after regular use, my skin became sensitive and stings with alcohol-based moisturizers and washes. I use sensitive skin products now. I would also wait until your skin goes through changes of accelerated growth (pimples, more pimples, then gone). I am convinced that this is the best product out there for acne.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2008 12:37:00 PM More reviews by shazzer628

It might work in the long run, but I'm not willing to go through the extremely long purging process. Tried it once and broke out along with the scaly skin

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2008 10:57:00 AM More reviews by guio

I´m from Spain, my dermatologist tell me to buy TRETINOIN that is supposed to be the same but cheaper, like 8 €,50 ml, there are different concentrations, mine 0,50, I,ve been using it for two years now, and I think is the UNIQUE product that does something to improve my skin. It´s very hard to start with, because of the continous peeling, but It´s worthy. I´m tyred of wasting lots of money in products as expensive as Estee Lauder, Kanebo, Clinique...without any results.You´ll need a strong sunscreen, I,m buying Antelios 50 Spf50+++ fluide and easy.
I think that TRETINOIN in the States must be with doctor support, but if you get it, it´s the cheapest treatment available for wrinkles and dark marks.
Advice, be patient and don´t give up. At least you should try it for a month for any results. The peeling should finish in your second or third weeks.
Give it a try ¡¡¡¡
(Sorry for my english)
Ha pasado mucho tiempo desde que escribí esto...sigo fiel a la tretinoina,me cae la piel a trozos ! Bastante a menudo, es muy desagradable, sobretodo para los que te miran..... Pero esto más obagi blender, con hidroquinona, es lo mejor que me ha pasado en años !!!!! Tengo ya cincuenta y nadie piensa que es mi edad, jjj, eso juntó con que me mato de hambre y hago ejercicio, protección solar, y mucho sexo matutino. Por cierto, no bebo casi agua....jjj

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2008 5:12:00 PM More reviews by suejie

A little early for a full review, but so far I'm glad I decided to get on Retin-A. I've had a few bad breakouts in my earlier teen years that left scarring (I'm a squeezer. eek) but my skin has been pretty tame the last several years (as in, no major breakouts, small minor pimples once a month). My major interest in Retin-A is the evening out of skin tone (mine tends toward ruddy on cheeks and around nose) and since I'm nearing 30, the supposed youth enhancing benefits.
When I went to the Derm for a prescription, he looked at the 2 tiny zits on my chin and wanted to go for clindamycin, but I asked for Retin-A specifically. He scrutinized my face and said "Why? your skin is nice" I admitted that I wanted it mostly for the line-diminishing qualities, and he repeated that I don't need it, that my skin was fine, and why subject my skin to a harsh treatment for very minor issues. However, he said that if I really wanted it he'd give me samples and then write me rx if I still wanted to be on it.
He gave me a baggie full of Retin-A micro .04% samples. I eagerly applied it that night after washing my face and anticipated the horrors of peeling, redness, and purge breakouts. I woke up with skin that looked no different then usual, perhaps slightly less oily than typical, but nothing significant. The next 5 days were the same, wash face, dry, apply thin layer of Retin-A all over face, wake up normal. I began to fear that I needed a stronger dose or that nothing would happen. Day 6 I woke up to what looked like face dandruff. It looked gross, but I was ecstatic! haha. My face felt really dry and tight, and it was flaking off around the nose and mouth. I also started getting pimples in areas I haven't broke out in years. Nothing too frightening, just a few isolated pimples and they mostly vanished after 2 or 3 days and didn't linger as they normally would.
I thought I'd have to be in hiding the first couple months, but it's nearing week four and I've had no problem going out with a good dose of moisturizer and a light dusting of mineral foundation. I've already been complimented on my skin, especially it's "glowiness". I think the beginning of last week I did suffer from very textured looking and dry skin, but that was before I got a heavy moisturizer (ponds), now my skin is plump and radiant, only dry and flaky around my mouth, but I keep waiting for the worst of it.
I'm using Cetaphil to wash because my normal facewash is stinging the skin, I use a washcloth to help with the flakes, and then I apply Retin-A (I use about 2-3 pea sized dabs, even though I was instructed to use 1. I can't spread 1 dab all over the areas I want to treat). After 15 minutes to 30 minutes I apply Ponds dry skin creme and my skin kind of soaks it right up, but my face stays shiny for about an hour.
I read that Retin-A has shown good promise in the area of hair-loss or thinness. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I hope so because I wouldn't mind having thicker eyebrows.

***UPDATE*****5/22/08
It's been almost two months and I've been using Retin-A micro .04% daily. It's helped tremendously with my ruddy uneven skin-tone. For the first time in my adult life I don't have perma rosy cheeks and nostril area, just smooth even plump skin. I still get minor flakies under my nose and at the corners of my mouth occasionally, but they soothe relatively easily with a rich moisturizer. If I'm too vigorous with exfoliation I get a bright red face that stings for a couple hours, but it's smooth and soft.
I recently visited with relatives and the inquiry and compliments about my skin were nonstop. Now I've never been one to have remarkable skin so I know this is due to Retin-A. I do want to give credit to EverydayMinerals matte mineral makeup too, but I'm wearing much less makeup than usual now that my skin is practically perfect. One relative even commented that my skin looks like it did when I was a baby. Even with no makeup on I was told that my face was "radiant" and "flawless". Love love love.

I think I might be going through a second purge cycle though, not that the first was bad (I think I got a total of 6 new zits, which were small and didn't linger). Right now I have two comedones that seemed to have popped up out of nowhere and aren't the typical type or place I usually get them (right smack in the middle of my forehead and one on the corner of my mouth). The zits seem to show up, pop themselves, crust over, and then just go away in a couple days instead of lingering and throbbing on my face.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2008 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Bridgid8

I am reviewing th generic tretinoin .025% cream for treating mild acne/clogged pores

After 5 long months of using this product, I am finally seeing the results. I was worried that the cream was causing problems but my derm kept telling me to have patience, and he was right. I did not have the peeling many experience but I did purge- for a while, which was frustrating. My pores are now clear and I have not had a cyst in over a month. It was well worth the wait!!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2008 3:40:00 PM More reviews by moonandtheriver

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was given a script for this for acne, and eased into things slowly. I washed my face, applied a light moisturizer and then a half hour later, applied a very thin layer of Retin A gel. I used this every other day for some time before trying to use it everyday. I gave it the usual 3 months...and in that amount of time my skin became VERY angry with me. I was breaking out more in places I usually didnt, my skin was red and raw feeling and my pores continued to stay clogged. After 3 months, I finally gave up. While this is supposed to be an anti aging treatment as well as an acne treatment, I found the texture of my skin to be much rougher, the fine lines increased and my skin never cleared up. I also did not like having to wait a half hour to put this on after I washed my face. I normally get ready for bed, wash up and am asleep shortly after...I found myself having to go wash my face a half hour early and then wait till I could put this on. It just threw me off, and there were nights I forgot to wash my face early, and then I ended up going to bed later than I wanted to. It just wasnt very convienient and didn't end up helping my acne at all. I feel now, 6 months later, that my skin looks better than when I was using it. I still am getting breakouts but my face feels and looks better than when I was on this. Still dealing with clogged pores and have yet to find a way to get them cleared out.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/9/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by LucaBaby

I never really had acne as a teenager...just a few spots here and there on my forehead. I stopped taking birth control pills about 5 months ago and that was when I started breaking out more and getting a lot of comedones on my forehead. It really wasn't that bad but I was so used to seeing clear skin that it really bothered me. I was prescribed tretinoin cream 0.05% which is the generic for retin-a. I knew there would be an initial purging phase but I was not prepared at all for what happened. I was breaking out in areas that I never had a blemish before such as jawline and especially on both cheeks. It's been 2 months now and I notice that I am no longer getting new blemishes and if there seems to be a new one appearing it pretty much disappears over night. A lot of the old blemishes are drying up and leaving little dark spots which should fade with the help of tretinoin also. I still have some stubborn blackheads and whiteheads on the cheeks but I am told those will eventually be pushed further out and get washed away. There were days I looked in the mirror and would feel like crying wonder to myself why I ever complained before and what was I putting on my face? But lately I've noticed that it's gotten better and the areas where my skin is clear is definitely smooth and glowing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will get better and better each day and I will have clear skin again. I will update again at the 4 month mark since everyone seems to stress that that is when you really see results.
UPDATE 7/1/08
It's now been over 4 months since I started tretinoin. The purging phase is long gone and the dark spots leftover from previous breakouts are fading quickly. I still get a couple of small blemishes during that time of the month but nothing noticeable and it disappears quickly. I haven't noticed a reduction in pore size but my pores are clean and unclogged. The texture overall is smooth and I do see a healthy glow. I conceal the old acne scars with mineral concealer and lightly dust my entire face with mineral powder. I don't need a lot of coverage and my skin looks almost as good as before I got off the pill. I'm pretty happy with the results so far and will continue using tretinoin. I know it's supposed to only get better and better so I'm excited to see what my skin will look like in a couple of months or a year. My aunt has used retin-a for over 10 years and now at the age of 43 she has no wrinkles or visible pores.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2008 12:14:00 PM More reviews by rommel1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

There is hope after all.

I am 37 with adult acne. My doctor gave this to me and at first I thought it was a big mistake. He told me it is for long term use and I would not see results until 2 or 3 months and it will peek at 12 months. He was right.

At first my face burned, had patches of dry skin, and pimples. My skin was drying out in spots and I thought it was pre- aging me as well. I was discouraged. I put Eurcerin lotion on after I apply the retin a. It really did take a while. I had this broken out "torn" up (patches of dry/oily) bumpy skin when beginning this.

I started to notice some fine lines going away and smoothing, and that was great. My doctor said it would take a while for the blemishes (scars- the dark ones) to fade. My whole left cheek is clear. I have not had clear skin like this in FOREVER.

My blackheads on my nose- disappeared. I used to have "open" pores on my nose with black heads- gone. But my pores on my cheeks are still "open" just not as bad.

My oily complexion- I would have a puddle on my t-zone- has gone. My makeup used to get greasy just after one hour I put it on. Not anymore. My oil is under control. I no longer have "thicker" skin sections. I know it is weird my I would have areas of harder thicker skin.

It does not create miracles but after 4 months of this- I am very excited. I still have left over dark spots (I am a slow healer) that have faded really good. I am actually wearing a thin foundation and it is covering my face well. I no longer need a heavy foundation.

Stick with this. I broke out with Pro active- the sulfer- I have a reaction to.

My face no longer is dry like when I first started with this- but I always use a moisturizer after i put it on. I do stay out of the sun- like my doctor said to.

I think it is worth it. Go through the "uglies" and see what happens on the other side.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No