September 22, 2014 | 2035 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retin A

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2008 4:44:00 AM More reviews by ourcitystreet

Retin-A saved my skin! i use the generic stuff, Tretinoin 0.025% & it's a godsend. ps; i get my prescription filled at Cost-Co & pay a whopping $3.00 per tube! can't beat it!

Background: i am 22 years old & have always struggled with hormonal breakouts along my jaw & chin. as i got older the breakouts got more severe. & as soon as one would clear another would come, not to mention leave nasty red marks. my skin felt soo unhealthy. i also suffered from what i thought were random breakouts. i found out later i have an anxiety problem & that + the stress was wreaking havoc on my skin.

when my anxiety issue came to a head (aka physical breakdown) my face was broken out like NEVER before. my entire face was broken out - my forehead had NEVER broken out before. my skin was red & it was so incredibly painful.

My Retin-A Experience: first i must say i was terrified of the "initial purge". luckily my Doc gave me another topical, Benzaclin (or Duac) to use first. that stuff was AMAZING. it zapped most of my zits in a matter of days. dried them up as oppossed to purging them. by day 2-3 there was a verrrry noticable difference. my skin was looking better but still felt generally rough & not as healthy as it should.

after 1-2 weeks of Benzaclin i began my Retin-A & i must report NO PURGING STAGE! i whole-heartedly think it was because i used the Benzaclin first because i have had constant breakouts from the age of 15.

this is my routine:

*morning - use a wet baby washcloth in the shower with a squirt of face wash. this helps to remove any dry skin the super-exfoliation of the Retin-A has left overnight. then i moisturize & apply mineral make-up. ps; my make-up goes on soooo smoothly now! like a dream.

*night - wash face. wait 20-30 mins. apply Retin-A. go to sleep!

using Retin-A has simplified my skin routine SO much!

after the first couple days my skin felt great! so smooth & soft. i have been faithfully using it for 6 weeks now. my skin looks the best it EVER has. i have had NO breakouts while on Retin-A & my red marks / hyperpigmentation are shrinking & i have complete faith they will disappear one day - they have already shrank so much in size!

the only blemishes i get are hormonal, they are so teeny-tiny i am embarassed to even call them blemishes, almost more like a clogged pore. they go away in one day & are admittedly because my skin feels so good now that sometimes i get lazy & don't wash my face in the morning. (something i NEVER would have thought to EVER do.)

i don't have any plans to ever stop using Retin-A! i receive so many compliments on my skin now - & i feel so much more confident! i am also verrrry thankful i didn't go through the months of purging like some have reported. (again i owe that to Benzaclin). sometimes i can't help but touch my skin, it feels so great! continued >>

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2008 6:23:00 PM More reviews by CaramelCityStar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using Tretinoin 0.025% Cream for 3 weeks now and my skin is honestly 80% clearer than it was the day I started. I wanted to wait longer to post my experience so I wouldn't "Speak too soon", but I could'nt wait anymore :)
My skin is smoother, healthier and the pimples are almost 100% gone. I purge for 2& 1/2 weeks. My skin did look worst :( First it was my forhead then my right cheek, now my left cheek is still healing and its still purging a bit. I did experience some scarring, but I know in another month they will be gone due to how fast they are healing now! My pores were so clogged before I began this that I hated people looking at me in sunlight! Now I can walk around smiling. I even avoided my guy for 3 weeks, just so I could purge in peace, lol. I feel like the cream version of tretinoin gets bad reveiws because of improper use. I believe the key is using gentle products along with tretinoin. Avoid using anything else along with this product in the evening! Because other products may inhibit it from working properly. My derm gave me a topical antibiotic to use during the day (clindamycin) because it helps with purging, she also gave me an oral antibiotic (tetracylin) which I'll be happy to stop taking as well, but it may have helped too. I use ttretinoin everynight ALONE for 3-weeks straight now as I begin my forth week I see SIGNIFICANT IMPROVMENT! Can't wait to update.

P.S..I'm soo happy that my derm was SMART and gave me a low percent, cream vehicle after I told her my skin was sensitive; Because some of you are going through Torture when you don't have too! I only experienced peeling for 1&1/2 weeks and it was easily removed with exfoliant(aspirin) and moisturizer (purpose).

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2008 1:58:00 PM More reviews by chezshea7

2 months on this stuff and finally I'm coming out of the flake/purge phase! If I see another person rubbing their own nose while looking at my scabby red scaly bumpy under-nose skin with dry flakes clinging to the ivory concealer I'm vainly attempting to use as coverup, I'll kill myself. Couldn't go out w/ my inflamed face w/o makeup but putting it on was a nightmare--took many attempts before I could leave the house, I couldn't go to the gym for weeks!!! Thanks to the people on this blog, I've stuck it out and finally I'm seeing plump smoother happy skin. My cystic oily skin purged twice--once so bad on my upper/side nose that my eye closed up and I couldn't go to work.Now I haven't had a cyst for a week and a half!!..I'm using tretinoin .1 % from alldaychemist (thanks MUA bloggers!) twice a week with Eluage Creme in between. I've just ordered retinA .5% from medsmex b/c I think the .1 % is too strong for now. In the morning I mix a tiny bit of baking soda with my Vichy sensitive skin cleanser to scrub off dead skin for a couple of seconds. I'll give another lippie when my acne scars start to smooth a little more. My advice: stick it out, some stories are worse than others, but hopefully in the end it's all worth it!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2008 10:07:00 PM More reviews by chyron

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I've been using Retin-A cream 0.025 for almost 5 months. When I began, I had a minimal amount of acne. But it was constantly there. I tried everything to get rid of it. So, I had light acne, increasing scarring and dry worn-looking skin (because of all the harsh products I was using).
When I first started, I was using it every other day. My skin couldn't handle every day. And it seemed ok- no immediate improvement, but it wasn't destroying my skin. Then, after a few weeks, I started to get more acne- more than I'd started with and in places that I've never had acne before. On top of that, my skin began to look really ruddy and unclear. And every few days it would peel- particularly on my chin, around my nose and under my eyes. Luckily, I'd read on this board that it may take awhile,so I stuck with it and the results are well worth it (thank goodness!!!). Just recently, my skin has shown a remarkable improvement. It's far more even toned, the acne is pretty much all gone and the scars are fading rapidly. So, for anyone needing encouragement- just stay on it a little while longer. It took me a very long time to see any positive results and then, almost overnight, they appeared. Also, my wrinkles seem far less pronounced. In fact, my crows feet are only visible when I smile now- and they had become rather pronounced with all of the drying products that I was using- they were getting longer by the day it seemed.

Also, as a sidenote, I wait about 1/2 hour after I wash my face before applying a pea-sized amount of retin-a. In the morning, I use a wash cloth to gently remove flaky skin while washing my face. And then I apply Alpha Hydrox 10% glycolic gel- wait about 15 min. and then apply moisturizer and sunscreen. Though the Alpha Hydrox can sting occationally if my skin was a bit sensitive, it seems to help get rid of flaky skin.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2008 11:13:00 AM More reviews by cakespender

I suffer from adult acne and truthfully the only things I have found to help are rounds of Accutane ( which I hope to NEVER endure again after 2 long rounds) and Retin A. I was using Retin A for well over a year and just got so busy that when my perscription ran out I just didnt have time to go to my doc and get a refill, well I stopped for the last 8 months or so and am right back to square 1, face breaking out constantly and lost that glow I had from having gone through the pain period of Retin A and come out on the good side.
So now I am back in the first week of use and doing the whole, peeling, purging process again. On a side note, the pharmacist once substituted the generic cream for my Retin A and it was TERRIBLE, very thick and oily and made my skin nosedive. Now I make it a point to ask for the brand Retin A whenever I turn in my prescription.
Also I hated that the tube would cost $40.00 and that it was ALWAYS half empty, i would get halfway through it and then hit a air pocket and it was empty after the air!!!!! I asked the pharmacist about this and he gave me some lame reasoning, well with this new tube it is much bigger than I was previously getting. He mentioned right away that they had addressed the air pocket problem and just made the tubes bigger?!?! why not just ........not fill it with air?????
anyways, this product does work wonders, you just cant give up, my best results come after about a solid 5 months of use. I go from using a heavy thick foundation to either a thin film of mineral make up or none at all which is a FIRST for me.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2008 6:32:00 PM More reviews by kyasha

This is a review for Retin-a Micro in a tube 0.1% strength, a yellow cream, available by prescription. The difference between Retin-a and Retin-a Micro is that you can immediately apply Retin-a Micro after washing face, and Retin-A Micro also prevents shine on T-zone. This is HG for acne prevention and anti-aging effects. You can use it for spot treatment (apply to the pimple at night, in the morning it is gone!), but it is best for prevention. I cover my forehead with it at night. It does create small amounts of flaking sometimes for me. Beware after regular use, my skin became sensitive and stings with alcohol-based moisturizers and washes. I use sensitive skin products now. I would also wait until your skin goes through changes of accelerated growth (pimples, more pimples, then gone). I am convinced that this is the best product out there for acne.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 5/5/2008 12:37:00 PM More reviews by shazzer628

It might work in the long run, but I'm not willing to go through the extremely long purging process. Tried it once and broke out along with the scaly skin

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2008 10:57:00 AM More reviews by guio

I´m from Spain, my dermatologist tell me to buy TRETINOIN that is supposed to be the same but cheaper, like 8 €,50 ml, there are different concentrations, mine 0,50, I,ve been using it for two years now, and I think is the UNIQUE product that does something to improve my skin. It´s very hard to start with, because of the continous peeling, but It´s worthy. I´m tyred of wasting lots of money in products as expensive as Estee Lauder, Kanebo, Clinique...without any results.You´ll need a strong sunscreen, I,m buying Antelios 50 Spf50+++ fluide and easy.
I think that TRETINOIN in the States must be with doctor support, but if you get it, it´s the cheapest treatment available for wrinkles and dark marks.
Advice, be patient and don´t give up. At least you should try it for a month for any results. The peeling should finish in your second or third weeks.
Give it a try ¡¡¡¡
(Sorry for my english)
Ha pasado mucho tiempo desde que escribí esto...sigo fiel a la tretinoina,me cae la piel a trozos ! Bastante a menudo, es muy desagradable, sobretodo para los que te miran..... Pero esto más obagi blender, con hidroquinona, es lo mejor que me ha pasado en años !!!!! Tengo ya cincuenta y nadie piensa que es mi edad, jjj, eso juntó con que me mato de hambre y hago ejercicio, protección solar, y mucho sexo matutino. Por cierto, no bebo casi agua....jjj

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2008 5:12:00 PM More reviews by suejie

A little early for a full review, but so far I'm glad I decided to get on Retin-A. I've had a few bad breakouts in my earlier teen years that left scarring (I'm a squeezer. eek) but my skin has been pretty tame the last several years (as in, no major breakouts, small minor pimples once a month). My major interest in Retin-A is the evening out of skin tone (mine tends toward ruddy on cheeks and around nose) and since I'm nearing 30, the supposed youth enhancing benefits.
When I went to the Derm for a prescription, he looked at the 2 tiny zits on my chin and wanted to go for clindamycin, but I asked for Retin-A specifically. He scrutinized my face and said "Why? your skin is nice" I admitted that I wanted it mostly for the line-diminishing qualities, and he repeated that I don't need it, that my skin was fine, and why subject my skin to a harsh treatment for very minor issues. However, he said that if I really wanted it he'd give me samples and then write me rx if I still wanted to be on it.
He gave me a baggie full of Retin-A micro .04% samples. I eagerly applied it that night after washing my face and anticipated the horrors of peeling, redness, and purge breakouts. I woke up with skin that looked no different then usual, perhaps slightly less oily than typical, but nothing significant. The next 5 days were the same, wash face, dry, apply thin layer of Retin-A all over face, wake up normal. I began to fear that I needed a stronger dose or that nothing would happen. Day 6 I woke up to what looked like face dandruff. It looked gross, but I was ecstatic! haha. My face felt really dry and tight, and it was flaking off around the nose and mouth. I also started getting pimples in areas I haven't broke out in years. Nothing too frightening, just a few isolated pimples and they mostly vanished after 2 or 3 days and didn't linger as they normally would.
I thought I'd have to be in hiding the first couple months, but it's nearing week four and I've had no problem going out with a good dose of moisturizer and a light dusting of mineral foundation. I've already been complimented on my skin, especially it's "glowiness". I think the beginning of last week I did suffer from very textured looking and dry skin, but that was before I got a heavy moisturizer (ponds), now my skin is plump and radiant, only dry and flaky around my mouth, but I keep waiting for the worst of it.
I'm using Cetaphil to wash because my normal facewash is stinging the skin, I use a washcloth to help with the flakes, and then I apply Retin-A (I use about 2-3 pea sized dabs, even though I was instructed to use 1. I can't spread 1 dab all over the areas I want to treat). After 15 minutes to 30 minutes I apply Ponds dry skin creme and my skin kind of soaks it right up, but my face stays shiny for about an hour.
I read that Retin-A has shown good promise in the area of hair-loss or thinness. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I hope so because I wouldn't mind having thicker eyebrows.

***UPDATE*****5/22/08
It's been almost two months and I've been using Retin-A micro .04% daily. It's helped tremendously with my ruddy uneven skin-tone. For the first time in my adult life I don't have perma rosy cheeks and nostril area, just smooth even plump skin. I still get minor flakies under my nose and at the corners of my mouth occasionally, but they soothe relatively easily with a rich moisturizer. If I'm too vigorous with exfoliation I get a bright red face that stings for a couple hours, but it's smooth and soft.
I recently visited with relatives and the inquiry and compliments about my skin were nonstop. Now I've never been one to have remarkable skin so I know this is due to Retin-A. I do want to give credit to EverydayMinerals matte mineral makeup too, but I'm wearing much less makeup than usual now that my skin is practically perfect. One relative even commented that my skin looks like it did when I was a baby. Even with no makeup on I was told that my face was "radiant" and "flawless". Love love love.

I think I might be going through a second purge cycle though, not that the first was bad (I think I got a total of 6 new zits, which were small and didn't linger). Right now I have two comedones that seemed to have popped up out of nowhere and aren't the typical type or place I usually get them (right smack in the middle of my forehead and one on the corner of my mouth). The zits seem to show up, pop themselves, crust over, and then just go away in a couple days instead of lingering and throbbing on my face.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2008 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Bridgid8

I am reviewing th generic tretinoin .025% cream for treating mild acne/clogged pores

After 5 long months of using this product, I am finally seeing the results. I was worried that the cream was causing problems but my derm kept telling me to have patience, and he was right. I did not have the peeling many experience but I did purge- for a while, which was frustrating. My pores are now clear and I have not had a cyst in over a month. It was well worth the wait!!