July 24, 2014 | 2051 users online

Powder - Laura Mercier - Mineral Powder SPF 15

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2008 5:15:00 AM More reviews by chloejeanette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was my first adventure into the world of mineral powders, and I must admit it was an unsuccessful one. I typically choose liquid foundations that provide medium coverage, since my skin (while it is pale) tends to be red and ruddy at times. My skin is also prone to being dry- the more moisture a foundation can provide, the better.

I snagged a container of Laura Mercier's mineral powder off of Sephora. I decided on "Soft Porcelain", which actually ended up being an excellent color match for my pale skin. Most pale makeups are much too pink for me, and the Soft Porcelian has a hint of yellow to it . The color was perfect.

But, unfortunately, that was about all that was perfect about this powder for me. As much as I tried to swirl and buff it onto my face with a powder brush I purchased JUST for it, I couldn't do it. I was left with a chalky, powdery looking face. It was like I couldn't blend it in and the makeup was just sitting (glaringly obvious) on my skin. I tried to use it with foundation primers, I tried to use it with moisturizer- and no luck.

I'll stick with LM's Tinted Moisturizer. Back this one goes.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2008 9:59:00 PM More reviews by dim777

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Up until last week, I had been using BE. BE didn't wear well, found it had to "sink in" for a few minutes after application to actually see the coverage results, and found it chalky. When I went into Sephora and the MA asked if I need help, she commented that she could see where the BE was left on my face (not good!!!). She introduced me to the LM mineral makeup line after informing me that we had similar skin concerns. She was a LM user, and her skin looked flawless. She applied it to half of my face to show me the true result. WOW!!! What a difference! The coverage is beautiful!! LM lasts all day, provides a healthy look (not tin-man-ish), hides large pores, smart packaging, long-wearing, and causes no irritation whatsoever . (I use Make Up For Ever All Mat primer before LM appllication.) I have had oily skin all my life and have never found a product that works like this one, and I've used many! I never thought my skin could look like this! It is fantastic!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2008 9:09:00 PM More reviews by allisonkupfer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

First, the package. I've been using BareMinerals for about a year and the package always made me crazy - when its full it gets messy, and when its running out you can't get any on the brush. This is a closeable sifter, so you can get more when you need and close for travel, etc.

The coverage is beautiful - buildable, totally natural, a little bit pearly/luminous. Really much better texture, shades, package, consistency than BareMinerals, which is kind of orangy and sometimes a bit clumpy - this is finer textured, so more natural looking. this is my new go-to foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2008 8:32:00 AM More reviews by AngelaW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A greta product. I have tried other mineral powders occasionally but didn't like them as much as this. I specifically bought this in a panic because i had this awful grey mustache-like shadow under the skin on my top lip, I think caused by a bad lip wax. Anyway, I had a wedding to go to and really didn't want to be feeling self-conscious! So I dashed out to the nearest department store (I was in Denmark) and bought this. It works like a dream. Total coverage, but not in a cakey way. I got talked into buying the brush to go with it, which I probably would not normally have done (I don't like being pushed into things my sales assistants) but in this case I was really desperate. And I'm glad I did - I don't know if application is so much better with this brush, but certainly I love using it and it does seem to help the product go on like it's designed to.

Basically, the powder completely covered the patch I was feeling anxious about, and stayed on for the entire wedding (about 8 hours) without slipping or sliding off. I will repurchase this as soon as I've used it up. Am a big fan of LM in general, so I don't baulk at the prices by now, but it is a little on the pricey side. Is my only criticism.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2008 1:45:00 AM More reviews by StephMcClell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ok... so I have seriously been looking for my HG foundation ever since it was appropriate to wear foundation. My skin isn't all that awful, I just have a lot of blotchiness, a few bumpies, a few breakouts here and there, and my largest problem is my dry skin. The problem with my skin being dry any makeup I wear seems to show I'm wearing makeup since, my dry skin seems to be accentuated, even when I wear makeup that is supposedly super moisturizing, it kind of just sits on my skin like dried elmer's glue. Yet, I have found perfection in a container with Laura Mercier's mineral makeup. It literally is some kind of wonderful, I don't even know how it works, but it looks amazing in all light settings, which is great because Im sure like all of you, you don't want to just look good ONLY in the room you applied your makeup. The makeup really does give a sort of pearl like finish to it, which just makes you look sooooo healthy and fabulous. I would probably say that the only flaw with this product is that the lasting power isn't as amazing as I would like. It starts to fade away after about a 9 hour work day, but I got the BE travel thingy, and so I just reapply some midday. Oh yes..... and this makeup cannot look cakey, trust me I pound it on, but it still looks naturally flawless. If your concerned about more coverage, I also use a tinted moisturizer as well, before I put on the mineral makeup, and it seems to work quite well. So I definitely would say give this a try, because I have tried just about every brand of makeup as well as the types within the brands, even ones meant for photo-shoots and what not, that are supposed to be industry secrets, but this product seems to be the ultimate foundation for me. And one last thing, I like my face to look flawless, just to give you an idea of what kind of coverage I prefer.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/17/2008 7:10:00 PM More reviews by babyphat14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

JUST bought this powder yesterday and after having it on for 2 hours my skin is SOOOOO itchy!! I don't know if it's because of the mineral powder or the Lancome moisterising cream I've got underneath it so tomorrow I'll just use the powder by itself.

Seriously though, it feels like my face is going PING all the time. As for coverage, its extremely light which is good for me because I like the natural look.

UPDATE: I found out that I was allergic to 'bismuth oxychloride' which is found in several mineral powders. Apparantly 75% of women are allergic to it; its an ingredient that comes directly from the ground and causes face rashes and itchiness. Will be returning this tomorrow.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2008 3:39:00 PM More reviews by NCAngelalala

This is one of the best mineral foundations I've used. I wish the coverage was a little better but it is very buildable so if you take the time can get more coverage. The shine control is very good and the packaging is the best mineral packaging I've ever seen!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2008 10:09:00 PM More reviews by skinnygal

I gave in to temptation and tried mineral powder. I normally use LM tinted moisturiser in 'nude', but decided I wanted something with a bit more coverage. I got mineral powder in 'real sand'. I have pale skin(NC 25-30) with yellow undertones. I also have oily, problematic skin. Since using mineral powder, my skin is much calmer, looks amazing but not too made-up. I touch up midday, but not too much of an oil-slick. I now use this daily as it's so quick to apply. I dust T.LeClerc powder in banane over the top. Packaging is perfection - closable sifter.
I haven't tried using the tinted moisturiser underneath it yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2008 5:23:00 PM More reviews by technopixie

This is an above average product. I love the finish on this, the "soft focus glow" thing Laura Mercier was going for isn't bullplop. The powder softly diffuses light just like her other loose finishing powder and makes skin look luminous and minimizes pores and lines. I didn't end up buying this though because honestly I really didn't see any coverage when the makeup artist applied it. Then again the makeup artist said I really don't need foundation, so maybe that's just how natural the finish is but I didn't notice a difference between where she applied it and where she didn't. She used both the cashmere puff and a blending brush on different parts of my face, and the store had tons of natural light. At the most it covered a little redness. But I honestly think the mineral finishing powder does an even nicer job masking imperfections and seemed to provide the same coverage even though it's not meant to. Unfortunately I can't speak to the lasting power on this one, I got hit in the face with a thunderstorm a couple hours after trying this. I do recommend trying this though, I think it could be a great alternative to the LM finishing powder for those with sensitive, dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/30/2008 5:17:00 PM More reviews by trisha

Out of all the mineral foundation powders I've tried, I like this one the best. It isn't at all shiny like BE seems to be on my skin when I first apply it. I set it with the translucent LM setting powder. I use the shade Real Sand and it's perfect for my light skin with slight yellow undertones. It's definitely not full coverage, but for any marks or pimples I want to cover, I just dip a concealer brush into a little bit of the foundation and lightly buff it off. I like the convenient packaging, with it's twist sifter, so if I travel with it, it doesn't get all over the lid and doesn't become messy. It's also fairly large in my opinion, so the price isn't actually all too bad for the amount of product you get. Overall, I like this foundation and use it more than any others I own at the moment, but will continue to look for something else that's not too bad for my skin and keeps those pesky oilies at bay!