December 19, 2014 | 1511 users online

Powder - Everyday Minerals - Semi-Matte Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2007 8:08:00 PM More reviews by AlisonPJ

I have been using this in Medium for almost two years now, so needless to say I am pretty happy with it. It is effective in giving my face an even tone and more polished look. I am 23 and still have some hormonal acne on my chin, and I still have to use concealer over this foundation. For those who are looking for a foundation that will eliminate the need for concealer, this is definitely not it - I would say the coverage is light to medium. Also, for me, this is not buildable - there is an ideal amount that I put on my face to get the look I want, and if I put on too much, it looks kind of funky and noticeable in natural daylight. When I do get that right amount, however, and just cover up problem areas with concealer, this really produces a nice finish, very natural-looking and I never notice that I'm wearing it or worry about it throughout the day. I am still using the one I bought it early 2006 and am considering repurchasing for sure. EDIT: I have added a star to my review and am rescinding what I said about looking funky in daylight because I recently repurchased, and there were a lot more color choices than I remembered from the first time I purchased a couple years ago. I selected Light Olive for my light-medium yellow-toned skin. Although Medium worked for me, Light Olive is a much more perfect match that I can build for more coverage. I don't know if they changed the formula at all, but I also found it smoother and easier to apply because my kabuki brush picks up the powder better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2007 2:03:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'd been using the Intensive formula during the spring and summer but as my skin gets drier in places and stays oily in others I decided it was time to change formulas and switch to the semi-matte formula. I'm really liking it thus far. It has the same great shade selection and smooth texture as the Intensive, except it isn't as "dry" on my skin and leaves a very slightly satiny finish, without making me look oily. It lasts all day with no touchups and evens out my skin nicely; my pores even look smaller without primer. Great stuff! I will continue to buy EM due to their great prices, exceptional product, fast shipping and great CS.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2007 7:33:00 PM More reviews by spaceagemouse

I ordered the sample online; 2 shades of Semi-matte and 2 shades of Intensive. I did a little experiment the other day, with one half of my face with EM Semi-matte and the other half with Lumiere Luminesse mmu. EM has more coverage--I'd say it was medium to heavy--and did give me a "flawless" finish. However, for some reason the pores on my nose and cheeks were very noticeable. Lumiere was more sheer and natural, and camouflaged my pores a little more. EM has good staying power, but tends to settle into little lines on my face. I think I prefer more natural finishes, so I wouldn't get this again, but that's just my preference. If you want good coverage and high quality mineral makeup, I would still recommend Everyday Minerals.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2007 4:18:00 PM More reviews by cuttibebe

I started using MMU about 5 years ago when I discovered BE. I've stuck with it for quite a while, since it's rated the best selling foundation at Sephora year after year, I felt like I made a right choice. Until I got bored of it and as I learn more about makeup, I know that BE turns orange on me (I used to never notice it before).

EM is very affordable and I loved the free samples to test out my color, before I take the plung. I'm a fair in BE, and I'm a Light in EM. I like to look my color, but brighter, and to cover my red acne marks, so I picked the one that's yellower than my natural skin tone.

I like the Matte formula - it keeps the shine down until mid afternoon, which is pretty impressive. Also, I purchased the Balancing powder, the oil control power is unbelieveable, too bad I'm afraid to use it too often, because it's white.

also, the Multi-Tasking Concealer is awesome. It covers the acne marks and dark spots, I also use it over my cream concealer for the dark circles. wonderful, can't praise it enough.

Overall, I think EM is a very good quality MMU with a very affordable price tag. DON'T FORGET to check their Specials on the website, they always run some kind of promotion each month.

btw, don't bother with the brushes, they are garbages. use your own good kabuki brush. I suggest flat top ones.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/29/2007 12:24:00 PM More reviews by ruthaida

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have adult acne and liquid foundation has been a problem for me. I started trying MMU and choose this based on reviews here. I LOVE they have samples to order as it allowed me to get to the right color and type without spending loads of money. EM's MMU Semi-Matte Neutral Beige seemed to look the best with my skin shade and type. This worked pretty well for me in the winter but in the summer the make-up turns darker after awhile so I think I will use this in the winter and try the ALIMA samples and see what happens. Both companies offer inexpensive and generous samples. I, like others, recommend trying the various formulations and shades, especially if you have oily/olive skin. I have mixed this with the Finishing powder and that seems to help a little. Overall, I have taken off 1 lippie due to color changing on me.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2007 3:09:00 AM More reviews by scorchio

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Before Everyday Minerals I've tried foundations from Youngblood and Lily Lolo (both gave me a rash, LL irritated my eyes as well), and so far EM's semi-matte is my favourite. I've had no problems with it, except that it tends to dry my skin a bit. The coverage is moderate. My skin is in a good condition, so I don't usually need a concealer with this. I love the slightly glowing finish, which looks really natural and radiant (Original Glo is too shiny for me). I'm currently using Golden Fair, which is the best shade I've found so far.

One lippie off because of the drying effect and because I need to wipe off excess moisturizing creams very carefully before application. The price I think is very reasonable, affordable but not dirt cheap due to shipping costs. The full-sized jars are really handy, as the lids have enough surface to easily roll the right amount of powder into brushes on every application. They might be a bit prettier, though. :)

If you're new to mineral foundations, Everyday Minerals' semi-matte is the first thing I'd recommend to try.

edit. Been using this for some time now and raised my rating to five lippies. I'm using a different moisturizer now and have had no more issues with drought. I've now gone through Lumiere (Must Have Minerals) Cashmere finish and LaurEss Elemental & Minimalist in addition to the two other brands I had tried before, but EM semi-matte is still holding its first place (ok, LaurEss Minimalist is a good rival as it has better staying power on its own, but takes more scrubbing to come off and I think it's clogging my pores). Only after comparing EM to other brands I've come to realize that they are dirt cheap. They were cheap before (6 full size jars for $32), but now it's 12 jars for $50!!! Woo-ooh! The only improvement that I'm still waiting for is the new jars with resealable sifters. Then I think I'll be fully content. =)

UPDATE: Stopped using semi-matte a while back because it started to itch and burn my skin (I literally got tiny blisters on my face). It's the shiny part in it, as I've had a similar reaction w/ other products containing it such as Meow Crystalline Cat powders and Lily Lolo Translucent Silk. Now using Alima Satin Matte with no issues at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/23/2007 9:15:00 PM More reviews by dressagehj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For years, I only wear Jane Iredale MMU... then they put a price-control on internet selling and wouldn't allow discounts. I can't afford the full price, so I needed an alternative. I started shopping around, and after a few misses, I hit upon EM. Doesn't break me out, gives me a nice, even complexion. And VERY affordable! My only complaint is that loose minerals tend to be messy. But I can live with that (I just keep a feather duster near my makeup table). I use the wet application process... spray my m/u brush with DHC water (just a mist will do) then dip into minerals, tap off excess, and apply.

They have many shades to choose from. It was easy for my daughter and I both to pick one. And their samples are FREE! Just pay shipping! You can't beat that. I plan on being a long-time customer with this company.

Edited... after 6 weeks, I can't wear this. I'm allergic. I've gone back to JI... have to use what works.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2007 7:13:00 PM More reviews by sugarlumples

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have tried matte, semi-matte, and intensive formulas of the foundation and this came in third for me. My skin can get pretty shiny so matte was the best fit for my skin type. Intensive is very similar to matte to me. Semi-matte just seemed more shiny and didn't seem to hold the shinies at bay for as long. This would be perfect for someone with drier skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2007 10:03:00 PM More reviews by AZNXNINIABABE

This is a great product with great price. i will recommend this to everyday who want to have flawless skin!!! LOVE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2007 7:57:00 PM More reviews by LateToMakeup

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my first review ever. EM is my first venture into MMU. I have always hated the heavy feel of liquid foundation, never could find my perfect shade and so, based on the recommendations here, thought I would give EM a whirl.

I would probably be considered older than dirt by most MUA folks, so I didn't even consider sampling the matte finish. Trying EM's MMU made me feel like Goldilocks: The Intensive formula looked too flat and deadened my appearance, plus it itched a bit. Original Glo's shine somehow didn't suit me, plus it also itched just a touch, although less than the Intensive. But on me, the Semi-Matte struck just the right balance and didn't itch at all. It didn't even look too bad in shades that weren't quite right on me!

On my skin, make-up turns darker after awhile, so I purchased the shade I need after the powder has melded with my skin. I use Winged Butter, even though my skin color is nothing like the current or past Winged Butter using models on EM's web site. Also, a MUA Winged Butter user found EM's Soft Bronzer to be a perfect shade. On me, it is way too light to be useable. I guess this is a matter of YMMV with respect to a particular shade.

The samples are cheap and extremely generous; I recommend trying the various formulae in addition to various shades. Remember, they can be mixed! Even the full sizes are cheap when you buy them in a kit. My HG!!!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No