Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage

3.9

(SC-1 SC-8): Diethylene Glycol, Diethylhexanoate/Diisononanoate, Paraffin, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Octyldodecanol, Ethylhexyl Isononanoate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Polymethyl Methacrylate, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax (Cera Carnauba), Phenoxyethanol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tocopherol, Isopropyl Myristate, Oleth-10, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Water (Aqua), Silica, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Honey Extract (Mel), Potassium Sorbate, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Tetrapeptide-14, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Mica (CI 77019). May Contain ( /-): Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77499), Ultramarines (CI 77007).

on 8/21/2007 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

it does give a very good coverage. however it's very hard, or rather thick to blend it well. it does not seem to settle onto the skin well at all. i used hair dryer to make it creamier but it's still so hard to blend. will not repurchase.

on 8/19/2007 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

So far, this is the best concealer I've ever used, and I've tried a lot. I also have the brush, which I find fine for putting it on, but I have a MAC foundation brush that I use to blend it.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I'm still trying to get the hang of using this product as I've only had it for two or three weeks. The compact that is closest to my color still doesn't quite cut it - the lighter shade is a bit chalky and the dark shade is a bit too pinkish. I'm still trying to get the right ratios. The consistency is dry and slightly chalky at room temperature. I haven't used the warm-up technique people have mentioned but i can imagine it makes for a better consistency for application.

The coverage: I'm still playing around with this and really trying to figure out how much to use. Some days it seems a little goes a long way. Other days, I feel like I'm constantly dabbing more and more on to get the coverage I need. I use a concealer brush to mix the two shades and then i lightly paint-dab it on to the area. Then I usually pat and blend it with the pad of my ring finger and repeat as necessary.

On certain days when my skin is drier than normal, I find that the camouflage tends to sit on the dry patches or flakes even though it didn't initally go on like that. It's a bit disappointing. If we could give half stars I'd give this a 2.5, but I was generous and gave it a 3. I still have hope for it.

I'm going to keep playing around with it. And I'm not sure at this moment if I'll purchase it again. I will say this - on my driest of dry areas I wouldn't use this concealer at all. I personally don't need undereye concealer but if I did, I would not put this there - wouldn't want to take the chance that it will sit in any fine line that's there. I think if you don't have dry skin that can flake or crack at times, this product probably blends in pretty nicely.

One last thought - it doesn't seem to aggravate my skin so I guess that's a plus.

on 7/22/2007 4:42:00 AM

I can not be without this concealer. This is all I apply on my face. It blends really well and it stays on! It is super easy to apply. I used to use Laura Mercier's concealer brush but I just changed to Mac's and it great. I want to recomend this concealer to everyone. Great for small red spots, scars & undereye circles. I have had mine for a year and i haven't finished half yet. I use it every day!!!! I will buy this again and again!

on 7/13/2007 1:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I was skeptical at first of how this concealer would work, the cream looked so thick and it's so much trouble to have to use a brush and let's not forget the price ain't all that cheap. But then after I took it home and started using it, it's becoming one of those products that I just simply love!

So it is a bit of work to use the brush (having to buy the brush, and wash the brush, and eventually replacing the brush...), and the cream was hard to get to at first. But I remember the sales said you just need to swipe the brush a few times on both colors and blend on the back of your hand to warm it up and then apply. That technique really works. The color may not match exactly (she gave me #3, I'm asian with a fair-medium yellow skintone), but after you paint it on your face, use your fingers to pat it a bit and the blemish is gone. I'd know because sometimes I get really big pimples or I'd pick my pimples so it's red and inflamed. I was told this is too thick and too dry to use for the undereyes, so I never used it there, only on blemishes on the face.

I'd definitely buy it again, except it seems to take forever to use up one pact. And it says the expiration is 6 months after first open...I'm kind of scared there.

on 7/11/2007 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

How does this orangey looking number 2 concealer match my super fair skin - or does it just not matter? Is it just changing my color to the RIGHT color? I don't know...

It brightens up and evens the under eye area really well. It doesn't even seem to make the wrinks worse. Easy to blend. I also use it in creases around my nose over broken capillaries.

Wouldn't have bought it if the counter gal hadn't painted some on. I will never be without this.

on 7/6/2007 5:37:00 PM

This has lasted me about 3-4 years, but I find it works best on age spots and discolorations; it's a little too slippery for acne or anything vaguely three-dimensional. However, for flat discolorations, it's a dream. I use a good concealer brush, feather the edges, and set with powder. Definitely good for minor fixes, not good for serious trouble. I like that it comes in two shades, though I've used more of the darker, yellower shade than the light so I wish they were equal-sized. Mercier is an artist and so am I, so the concept of "blending on the canvas" to camoflauge works for me.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I am NW25ish and got this in SC-3. I am not very dark, but the lightest shade was sooo light. The deeper shade was very close to my coloring but if I'm paying this much for a product I should be able to use ALL of it. The texture is super super dry (and I have combo skin). It is hard to blend also. I like my dermablend much better.

on 7/1/2007 12:11:00 AM

I love this concealer works well for me i am very fair skined i use the lightest shade that it comes in. It looks dry in the case but goes on well it takes time and skill to get this product to work. i blend using it in the case and not on the back of my hand as they say. I do use their concel brush also. you are not to just us one color the lighter neutralize redness and the other matches your skin tone. You dab back in forth and apply to your pimples or redness I even use it under my eye sometimes i really dont have dark circles just a lighter skin tone there. once you apply to the area touch it with your finger tip to warm it dont rub or move your finger around or it will rub some off then dot it once more and youre done. I start off with her t/m then use this and finsh with perscriptive magic powder flawless skin every time nobody can tell i have a pimple on my face.

on 6/29/2007 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I find that the product sits on top of my skin and is visible. When I rub it in a bit, it doesn't conceal the redness of a blemish. There are two tones that can be mixed to match your skin color but it is a little too yellow for me and 'fair' is the only shade that would work for me which is what I have. It is subtle which I like but it is dry so sometimes my skin looks a bit flakey. Also the case broke so it doesn't stay closed anymore--I bought it in 2005 so they may have improved the packaging since then--all the similar cases for Laura Mercier products I bought at the same time (bronzer, shimmer) also broke so I would hope they'd improved the packaging since then.