July 22, 2014 | 2263 users online

Treatments (Face) - SKII - Facial Treatment Essence

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2006 9:05:00 PM More reviews by CountessDementia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I initially wrote a glowing review for this product a few months back and now, I'm here to take back every praiseworthy thing I ever said about the gargantuan hype that is SK-II.

This stuff completely wrecked my complexion. Prior to introducing SK-II to my skincare routine, I had perfectly smooth, radiant and flawless skin. Granted, I had a few minor pores around my nose which never really bothered me until I read about SK-II in a magazine and how the supposedly 'miracle' ingredient Pitera gave celebrities like Cate Blanchett and Gong Li perfect porcelain faces. And because my lemming coincided with an SK-II promotion at my local Myer department store, I went on ahead and asked the SA for a small 11 ml trial-size bottle of the Facial Treatment Essence to try.

I used it up in 3 weeks, and convinced myself that my skin was looking the best it had ever been. Radiant, glowing, smooth...and my oh my, those pesky minor pores were diminished! Oh hallelujah, they were barely there at all! God bless Sk-II!

I told myself that I would just DIE if I couldn't add this little gem to my already (very) extravagant skincare routine. So I shelled out AUD 175 for a 150 ml bottle of the Treatment Essence, consoling myself that I could look forward to at least a year of pristine flawless beauty. Bah! Within two weeks of using the new bottle, I started to break out. Now, a pimple around that time of month is perfectly normal for me but my skin remains absolutely crystal clear the rest of the time. Needless to say, I was more than a little concerned when I started breaking out in huge cystic zits.

I don't know why it took me so long to pinpoint SK-II as the culprit in my battle of the blemishes. I thought it was my sunscreen that was breaking me out. So I (unwisely) stopped using that. But alas, I continued to look like Godzitla. I tried so many things, throwing out my HG skincare items one by one, making drastic changes to my diet, praying. Nothing seemed to work. I was completely floored. I never imagined that the SK-II was at fault because I had used it for a complete month with absolutely no drama whatsoever. I finally wised up about 10 days ago and shelved the damn thing.

My breakouts have stopped, but it's going to take a loooong time before my complexion regains its once-perfect glory :( The Pitera has really thinned out my skin and where I could once normally slap almost anything on my face without fearing a breakout, I can't do so anymore. My face has become a sensitive mess. Even my previous HG items aren't receiving a fond welcome back like I hoped. It's going to take me at least a month (aren't I optimistic) before my skin regains some semblance of balance once again.

A word to the wise, ladies: if your skincare routine ain't broke, don't fix it. I've learnt a harsh lesson here. If you have sensitive skin, I urge you to stay away from all SK-II products, especially the Facial Treatment Essence. The packaging is really quite unsanitary as you have to keep tipping liquid out and it continually splashes over the rim. Because the Treatment Essence contains 90% Pitera (which is, in essence, bacteria), this coupled with poor packaging enhances the risk of being a breeding ground for other 'less-friendly' bacteria tenfold.

For those who have been lucky with SK-II products, I'm truly happy that it hasn't turned your skin into a cystic warzone. For those who are tempted to give this a shot, I strongly encourage you not to. It's NOT worth the risk. Trust me.

38 out of 46 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2006 2:52:00 AM More reviews by Anstowe

I had to try this after the raves that it gets - we are a week in and going well so far. My pores have reduced in size by about 30% and it is nice to use; smell is not great but is goes on and sinks in well under my moisturiser. My skin is a tad brighter, a smidge less red, but I will update as I go continue use. So far so good. Update: After a month, still good. No significant improvement from last post but no problems either. One of the few treatments where the benefits are almost immediate!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2006 6:53:00 PM More reviews by babydoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has totally changed my skin, and I have finally found my holy grail moisturiser! Before using SKII, I had tried hundreds of skincare, only to be disappointed that none of them suited my ultra sensitive skin. I obtained a sample of this and really hoped that it wouldn't work for me as it's so expensive. At first, I was put off by it. It smelt like alcohol upon application, and then tried to a stale smell, like sweat! Eww! But I religiously applied every day, watching for how my skin reacted to it. Imagine my surprise when I realised that it was reducing my redness and making my skin look crystal clear and smooth. My pores were also noticeably reduced, which made my foundation look even better! I cannot live without this, it really is fantastic! I also bought the 'Advanced Signs Treatment', which is a night cream. It's really good too (but not as good as the Essence), and I alternate between the products every night or so. After a while, I got used to the scent of the Essence, and oddly enough, I kind of like it now, and I look forward to applying it every night as I know I'll wake up with baby soft, white skin. My only gripe with the product is the packaging. It is very inconvenient and wasteful. I wish it came in a pump like the Repair C lotion (which I also bought). The only SKII product that I don't like is the cleansers (read my reviews on it). BTW, I have also done a review on the Air Touch Foundation :)

rated 1 of 5 on 11/21/2006 7:46:00 AM More reviews by estellamoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have bought 2 bottles of this awful stuff. Yes. Not 1 but 2. I was extremely stupid to have believed the hype and bought the first bottle (A$115 for 150mls from Singapore Duty Free)and I should have stopped there. After all, it didn't do anything for me at all.

But no, I tried again and had a friend who was visiting Japan buy me the second bottle (A$145 for 150mls). This time did something - irritate my skin badly. I have tried a) using it on its own b) stopping to allow my skin to recover from it c) resuming use 3 times. Each time I tried it, the result was worse. Just yesterday, I thought I'd give it one more try before tossing the offending bottle in the bin.

Within seconds my Dry, Sensitive somewhat combination skin had a mass of red spots all over the nose and chin. They were red and angry ! The skin felt rough and looked as it it had been burnt...it was red and patchy. Yikes !

I immediately washed it off...too late...I am stil suffering the after-effects of this terrible product. Might as well have been acid.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/1/2006 1:56:00 AM More reviews by lisa_1984

I started using this essence about 8 months ago. To begin with I thought I saw results, but within about 3 months my skin developed an allergy to it, and would become splotchy whenever I'd dab it on. I bought an atomiser (which turns liquids to mist) the other day (only $2.50 from your nearby junk-shop) and started using the SKII essence in that- and within 2 days of administering it this way, it has made my skin much clearer and more radiant. I definately think this is the best way to use it, right after cleansing and just before applying moisturiser. Hope this helps!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2006 11:44:00 AM More reviews by bcher1

I have been using the facial treatment essence for like 3 weeks. i am 25 and have oily skin. Even since i started patting the essence twice a day, my face is smoother and pores are less visible. i have started patting my neck and after 2 days, my neck feels so soft to touch! I guess the product has mixed reviews and the whole skincare line is generally recommended for drier skin. Im in a dry climate right now so perhaps thats what the essence is working very well.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2006 1:14:00 PM More reviews by su_su

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I found that the Facial Treatment Essence works best with the SK-II Whitening Mask as an overnight treatment. I apply the essence first, put the mask on for 30mins-1 hour, rub the Pitera residue into my skin afterwards, and apply more essence and moisturiser. My skin looks incredible the next morning - much brighter and radiant although the effects only last a day or so on me...

Apart from the mask treatment, I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in my skin after using the essence day and night everyday for 2 months.

I heard that the Facial Treatment Essence doesn't work so well with other brands. So I tried the Facial Treatment Clear Lotion (toner) and the Advanced Signs Treatment (moisturiser) but still didn't notice any improvement.

Worringly, my skin looks slightly rougher in places and my fine lines are more noticeable - SK-II may not be causing these rough patches and wrinkles, but it doesn't seem to be preventing them either.

Now I just use the essence with the mask or massage it into my hands before moisturising.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2006 11:33:00 AM More reviews by bellstar

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I broke out after 3 days using the essence! It does make my skin instantly smoother but for such an expensive product I'm expecting something more. Will re-review after a couple more weeks and in the meantime I'd slot this into my before-bedtime routine where I don't have to put any makeup on.

UPDATE: My pores are noticeably tighter and I love how smooth it feels after application. It improves and evens out the complexion, in fact my skin is so clear and glowy now I hardly have to wear foundation anymore! I will definitely be repurchasing this again and again. I can't rave enough!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/29/2006 7:46:00 AM More reviews by patty619

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Violet

after almost 2 weeks into using skII essense, there's like alot of this tiny lil bumps appearing on my face!! esp the cheeks and the under eye area. and when i put on my make up its makes my face looks real blotchy and dry ( looks very rough) i ve much better complexion before this but they also say its bcos its getting rid of the toxin from ur skin. but how true is this??

UPDATE AFTER ONE MONTH:
alright so initially after i stopped using this thing, my skin gotten worse. bumps all over, massive blackheads, whiteheads (that is after i ve stopped using for the 1st week). on to the 2nd week, redness developing, burning sensation, skin near eye area hurts when touched. skin feels tight and BROKEN CAPILLARIES!!! (all this happened even after i ve stopped using it for the 2nd week!)

i was so lost i really dunno what to do..i hvta consult the dermatologist. i signed up for some facial course. frm then on it gotten better. but redness still there. skin is very much sensitive now. shucks.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2006 12:14:00 PM More reviews by JTvariety

This is my miracle water !!!