August 1, 2014 | 1924 users online

Treatments (Face) - Lemon Juice

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2009 8:06:00 PM More reviews by met451

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been using this for about two weeks now, and I am really impressed (even my husband has commented on how great my skin looks). My skin is a lot smoother and discoloration a lot less noticeable since I've been using this, and my acne has completely cleared up. I made the mistake of wearing this during the daytime once (under sunscreen) and got burned badly, so I only recommend wearing this at night (I wear it every night under moisturizer). I squeeze fresh lemons and then add roughly 25-50% water to dilute this. I only notice stinging if I have any broken skin, otherwise my skin loves this. A safe alternative to the aspirin mask and seems to be very effective.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2009 2:45:00 AM More reviews by YouthInAsia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I used to use this full strength and let it sting my skin, thinking it worked better that way. It didn't of course and ended up making my skin worse. When I wised up and started diluting it (about 2 parts juice to 1 part water) It started giving better results. After a couple of weeks my skin was more glowy and my omnipresent nose pores looked smaller and cleaner. I do use this alongside Alpha Hydrox's glycolic cleanser and 10% aha lotion, and so far, no ill effects...in fact it could be upping the effectiveness. I don't know really, but like a previous reviewer I use all that plus the aspirin mask and it seems to work well. I've had less breakouts now than I've ever had in my life. Also, for anyone interested, I just read a tip online that you can use the actual lemon peel (rubbing it on your skin...I would guess that it would be the pith side rather than the outside part) and that's supposed to actually combat dry skin and flakiness...haven't tried it yet, but if that works...hoo boy...what else can I say about the lemon than....hg!!! (I also know that rubbing the pith on your teeth can help whiten them as well).

rated 2 of 5 on 6/20/2009 6:07:00 PM More reviews by genahy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hate to rain on the lemon juice love parade, but I have to. At first, when I tried lemon juice (to fade hyperpigmentation), I was in love. I have chronically sensitive skin + this caused no problem, even used full-strength. In a week, it dramatically lightened old dark marks. But then I noticed a terrible side effect--uneven lightening. It looked like I had a light ring around the dark mark I was trying to fade. I know this uneven lightening will heal in time, but it's very aggravating to try to treat one skin condition, then wind up with another. I don't want others to go through uneven lightening problems, so thought I would pipe up. Very doubtful I would use again. If I do, it would be much less often and with just a cue tip on problem spots, AND heavily diluted.

37 out of 38 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2009 5:35:00 PM More reviews by plainjane83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A combo of lemon juice and olive oil, applied daily as a mask and then washed off, helped reduce my active acne somewhat. At least, it did initially. Then it seemed to be causing me to breakout in lots of little zits. I'm pretty sure that was the olive oil, not the lemon juice. I later tried lemon juice by itself without that problem.

So, lemon juice seems to be at least somewhat helpful in controlling active acne. However, it's of course messy, somewhat time-consuming, and you can't really wear it outside (for one thing, it's supposed to increase sun-sensitivity..)

I sometimes add lemon or lime juice to my mud masks. And sometimes I add lemon EO to my facial cleanser, but it's not a stand-alone acne treatment.

I drink a lot of it in hot water with tea, though. I think it probably is good for my health although I cant think of any dramatic positive results. It's got antioxis, vitamin c, of course.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 7:03:00 PM More reviews by apieceofpeace

NO FREAKING WAY!

I've been battling adult acne for years. I've tried LITERALLY everything...

After a horrible cystic breakout from the Clinique Acne Solutions products, I tried this after reading reviews on MUA.

OH MY GOD... it has only been 4 days and every single cyst has vanished. All areas that were broken painful blisters are now drying up and recovering... and I haven't gotten a single new spot since I started using it!

I am using it full-strength, squeezed right on a cotton pad before bed and after cleansing and exfoliating with the alba sea mineral gel and a face brush. Warning- it does sting, especially on broken skin- but it only lasts a few minutes. After it has dried up (5-10 mins) I apply an oil-free moisturizer (Ulta's extremely gentle) and go to bed. Seriously measurable improvement every morning!

Thank you so much to all of the reviewers before me!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2009 5:37:00 PM More reviews by Kit20

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Started using this after reading the MUA reviews, to fade old acne scars - it really works. I bought a bottle of the organic juice and mix it 50/50 with water, I keep it in the fridge. It is a wonderful toner and not only works on acne scars but also on age spots/freckles. It does sting a bit, but I would suggest just adding a bit more water. I find it also removes dead skin and preps my face for moisturiser. I have now no more flaky patches. As had been said you cannot use it in the sun as it burns and discolours skin, also it is a no brainer that you keep it away from your eyes. Other than that it is cheap and it works as well as any glycolic acid treatment I have tried.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2009 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Ello

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have tried this off and on, especially in the summer when my skin is particularly oily. I can say that as a person who suffers from acne, and has suffered from acne for a long time, this stuff really does a decent job of keeping the oilies at bay. Here are some of the pros and cons:

PROS
fantastic toner. I swipe it on after washing my face and it blots up all the excess oils.
smells wonderful, and is not loaded with synthetic fragrances.
it's a natural approach to clear skin.
fades acne marks, and helps to speed up the drying process of current pimples.
Cheap!

CONS
It can be drying, especially in the winter months.
you can only (and should only) use it once a day as it can discolor your skin if you wear it out in the sun.
it burns when applied, especially if you have pimples with scabs on them.

But as you can see, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. I would suggest that you try it. I have tried all kinds of toners from high $$$ to drugstore clearance rack, and this works the same, if not even better.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 8:52:00 PM More reviews by idressyou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was so happy to see the trusty old lemon got a spot on MUA! I've been using them for various skin ailments for decades. Here are a couple of "recipes" I use: I mix a scrub in a shot glass from 1/2 a lemon's juice, 1 tbsp. olive oil, and enough table salt to make it a paste.., I scrub hands, feet, elbows with this, just like you would a store bought scrub... and rinse. For my face, I mix the other 1/2 of the lemon's juice, 1 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. sugar... if my face is broken out, I skip the sugar... gently rub in a circular motion, just like a store bought face scrub or wash... and rinse, being VERY careful not to get it into my eyes (it can burn like a mutha!). When I lived in Cali, where lemons are dirt cheap, I did this daily. Now, since I'm in an area where they're fairly expensive, I do it sporadically, when my regular skincare routine seems to be losing it's effectiveness. It seems to give my skin a "shock" that kicks it back into gear for a while. Another thing that I've done, that helps with blackheads, is to just sqeeze some lemon juice onto the corner of a wet washcloth (lemon will bleach colored cloths) and wash like you normally would with a facial cleanser, and rinse. It unclogs pores, dissolves blackheads, smooths and fades scars and fine lines over time.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 6:18:00 PM More reviews by winian

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Yay Lemons!! I have been using this in different ways for the last month or so, trying to figure out the best way for me. I like to use it with water as a toner, but have yet to leave it on for the whole night, after reading the reviews I will try it. But what I do love is using it in my homemade scrub, crushed sea salt, lemon and honey, it's wonderful! All small under-the-skin pimples are smaller! And this is the only exfoliant that agrees with my skin. The white heads are healing faster, too! In the quest to heal my mild acne over the last few years, I have found that nature always has the best cures! Give thanks!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2009 5:47:00 PM More reviews by mawyyy

Wow! This stuff really works! I use it to get rid of those pesky post acne red marks (my skin is pale and marks easily). I'm telling you, in just one week I am seeing results! What I do is make a mixture of 1/2 lemon juice, 1/2 water and store it in the fridge. Every night, after cleansing and toning, I dip a cotton ball in my mixture and apply it to my entire face, avoiding my eyebrows (lemon juice bleaches hair!). Nothing has worked this quickly to remove these red marks, not even glycolic acid peels done weekly. It blows my mind that this has faded them so quickly, like nothing else has. Just make sure not to use this stuff full strength. About 2 years ago I tried this full strength, and it just irritated my sensitive skin. Then I read reviews about people making mixtures, so I tried that and it worked so much better for me. Doesn't really kill my acne, but that's ok since Yaz is taking care of that, for the most part. Now, instead of wearing concealer, I wear only a tinted moisturizer.

I had to add- for people that are using this (or anything else) for acne, there is only one thing that will get rid of your acne- your diet. Of course dermatologists don't tell you this, but it's true. Fo example, I know that whenever I eat lots of sugary things, like clockwork the next day I will break out. Sugar is a major cause of acne. If you eat less sugar, less white bread, less fried foods and more fruits and vegetables, it will make a big difference in your skin. My skin is so much better now that I eat healthy.

UPDATE: Just had to add, I've been using this for about a month now and my skin just keeps getting better and better! Also, the stinging goes away with time as your skin gets used to this. Good luck! And limes work just as well, I hear (though I haven't tried them; only lemons).

UPDATE 2: It's over a year later, and I still love this stuff! I am now using it full strength. I guess my skin got used to it (not in a bad way) and is now able to tolerate full strength.

34 out of 35 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No