September 22, 2014 | 1854 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by Sarajava

Best makeup sponge I ever used. Its a lot softer and doesnt absorb as much product as a typical makeup sponge. When its wet it is spingy and smooth which feels really nice against skin. It makes applying your liquid or cream foundation easy, It never leaves streaks, and the shape is great for different areas on the face. Takes me less time than with a brush, and I find I clean it more often than brushes because I dont have to wait for it to dry, so its more hygienic than makeup brushes for me. I also think the moisture in the sponge helps make foundation look more natural on skin, it gives a finish that I just cant get with a brush.
It is way more expensive than normal makeup sponges, however it is close to what I would spend on a foundation brushes anyways.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by olive02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know what your thinking, over $20 for a sponge? I just received the beautyblender with the blendercleanser in the mail today, and I supper excited to try it out! I wasn't disappointed at all. I was surprised how well and evenly it blended my foundation. I like how there's a fat part of the blender to get your cheeks and forehead, and the skinny top part to get in creases like your nose and under your eyes. My foundation is the part which takes the longest I find, and with this tool it cuts it in half! - LOVE it.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/30/2012 5:07:00 AM More reviews by Siham89

The Beautyblender is amazing! I've never come across a sponge like this. I didn't really like make up sponges as for the wedge sponges because they'd soak up so many foundation. The Beautyblender is soft, easy to use and gives an amazing finish to your foundation. I use this with cream foundations, concealers and blushes and it blends everything together so nicely. I even use it wet with the Ben nye loose/translucent powders and it works like a charm! Definitely a HG product!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Living in Canada, I'd never seen one of these available retail and then I was at the check out at Sephora, where they have all that stuff to tempt you while you wait and THERE IT WAS!!!

Like a lot of women, I'm obsessed with getting foundation coverage that hides my skin imperfections, but also looks natural and even. So I have a lot of brushes, some pricey and some cheap, some good and some not so good (and price isn't necessarily an indicator of how good a brush will be - the Real Techniques brushes are among the best I've ever tried). I've rated the Beautyblender a "3" for price because I'm comparing it to brushes I've purchased and compared to some of those, the price isn't all that bad, though for a "sponge", it may seem a bit high.

Mine came in a plastic case with absolute NO instructions but I've known about this sponge for so long and seen it used so figuring it out wasn't a big deal. The results with this sponge, though, are amazing. I dot my foundation around my face and sort of "roll" it into my skin with this sponge dampened and squeezed out well. The end effect is the look of perfect skin, rather than the look of really nice foundation! No other sponges I've tried - wedges, round sponges from MAC and even natural sea sponges - reliably give such a flawless effect. I am concerned to read that other MUAers have had their rip and fall apart - at these prices, this baby should last a few years, in my opinion. I'll endeavor to be gentle when cleaning this and using it generally but I am very, very pleased and wouldn't hesitate to repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/4/2012 6:45:00 PM More reviews by AsianDiva123

I've been using this for a month or so. I definitely like the foundation coverage this sponge can provide. The application is very even and makes my skin look great. I just don't like cleansing it. It's extremely difficult to get all the foundation (even if you wash it everyday). I can see lots of residue on the sponge. One time I tried to wash it too much and I ended up having a rip on it. I would probably buy this again until I find a cheaper version. If I find a cheaper one, at least I don't mind throwing it out say once a month and switch to a new one.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by princess101

I have a few of these and notice there is a difference in quality from the ones I purchased years ago. When I first began purchasing this sponge, it was rather expensive (and still is), but the sponge lasted a good 3+ months with daily washing and never bled any dye.

I recently began to run low on my supply (I originally purchased by the dozen during Sephora FF sale) and have found the newer ones to bleed a bright pink dye during the first 5-6 washings, in addition to tearing upon inital wash. This still applies my foundation just the same as before but I question what chemicals have made their way to face due to the dye. I know that this will not last 3 months after the inital tear, as a week into using the newer sponge another new tear has appeared. I am by no means rough with this sponge and clean daily to minimize any bacteria that may form during the drying process.

Anyway, this does give a very natural finish to almost any liquid foundation I have used. For foundations with a thicker consistency, this works beautifully---helps when applying a light layer, allowing you to build coverage where needed. I find light layers to be particularly difficult with a brush or even fingers, especially with foundations like Revlon colorstay.

I typically use the bottom (largest end) on my cheeks, forhead, and chin area, use the pointed end for my eye area, around the nose and hairline. With very thin liquid foundations, this can soak up product...to curb that, I dot the foundation all over my face with a clean fingertip and then distribute the rest with the sponge. I only dip the sponge into a drop of foundation on a clean palette if it is of a thicker consistency, as I find they don't soak into the BB.

For those in Canada, you can order online directly from beautyblender, or retailers such as theshoppingchannel.com, ebeauty.ca,or even cherryculture.com. If you live in BC (Vancouver area) you can purchase these at Sephora stores in singles, and BeautyMark in yaletown.

**UPDATE**
I went and purchased the London Look version of this sponge (London Look Precision Makeup Sponge) which is also pink. Upon initial comparison, the London Look sponge visually appears the same but is a tad different. It is more dense and not as spongey as the BB when dry---it is not hard but just firmer than the BB, and it not as soft. The BB has a velvety touch to it, while this is soft it is not as soft. When soaked, it triples in size and is actually larger than the BB. One thing to note is that when squeezing out the water, I suggest squeezing as much as you can and then rolling in a towel to remove remaining. The London Look holds much more water than the BB and because it is denser it requires a bit more work to squeeze out the excess. Application wise, this work just as good as the BB. Once it is damp it soft, spongey and has the bouncy quality that BB has. I like that because it is larger, the base covers more area quickly than the BB. The pointed end is about the same size as the BB when damp and thus works the same IMO.

I don't know how long this will last in terms of overall quality, but it did not bleed nor tear in the first few washings. This dupe retails for $9.99 and I would suggest giving this a try if you can't/don't want to spend the money on a BB. I honestly don't see myself repurcashing the original BB now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by narnar721

This sponge is simply amazing. It literally gives the face a beautiful airbrushed finish. I have almost every brush from every brand and nothing compares to this! You have to get it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 5:23:00 PM More reviews by minimad

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I followed the directions to the tee and ended up with a poor makeup application (forget an airbrush finish...it wasn't even close to that). I now store my lovely pink egg in the back of my makeup drawer as a constant reminder to myself that High End isn't always a guarantee of a great product.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2012 4:37:00 AM More reviews by hpunkinway

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really do not "get" this product. I probably just need a tutorial, but it just seems to "pack on the crap" and not really do anything else. Please let me know if I am wrong.

I absolutely cannot get over the hype over this object. Can someone here please educate me? I wet the sponge, do what I am supposed to do, but honestly, what a waste of time! I might as well continue using my fingers.
What am I missing?

UPDATE: Looking at all the good reviews here, I would just love someone to show me what I am missing out on. I find this product to be beyond hype. If you know better, please help educate me regarding how to use this.This was one of those purchases that I have to think, "Why did I buy this???" I have had it a while now. I was hoping that at some point I could say, "great, I like this." I still do not, unfortunately. This thing can pile on the plaster, but it does not look natural. I have been working with this thing for a year, and I still do not like it.
The best I can say is that I can use my fingers or other sponges to smooth out the application after I have used this beast to absorb an inordinate amount of product. In my experience, using fingers to apply foundation is quite adequate. When you use these other items. I personally think that you are just buying into a racket to use more product that necessary.
And try to clean the darn thing?! (Watch your money and time go down the drain.)
I think that Beauty Blender took me for a fool, and believe me, I feel foolish! What an incredible amount of money for such nonsense!

2nd update: Still trying this once in a while using all the information provided, and I just don't see the point. It uses up more than twice the product you would use if you used your fingers. I think that the finger method works better anyway. I just don't get it.

15 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/19/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by Parpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

This is NOT for the actual "Beauty Blender" but rather the exact replica (but in a different colour) sold at London Drugs (in Canada). That sponge is sold for about $6.00 and obviously the beauty blender is far more expensive. In Canadian Sephora's the Beauty Blender is not sold, so one has to order online. Anyways I wear liquid foundation and have tried the following ways to apply my foundation: fingers, damp sponge, dry sponge, flat foundation brush, curved foundation brush, and lastly a stippling brush. My favourite by far is Mac's stippling brush, but my second would be this sponge. But will I buy it again? Probably not, here are the reasons why.
It is a sponge, no matter what you clean it with, how you clean, or how long you clean it before, it will not be bacteria free. The very first time that I tried to clean it, the residue from my foundation would not come out, and obviously it looked discolored. If you're re-using a sponge, and getting blemishes this is probably the reason why. I don't know what cleaner comes with it, but it has to be pretty strong for people not be breaking out, right? Another thing, some of the cleaners that brushes/sponges come with are very, very harsh on the skin...just a note that people should be aware off...that's why I wash my brushes with Cetaphil and Tea Tree Oil.
The only point that this sponge would have over any brush is the design of it, and because of that it is very easy to get into crevices of the face, like by the eyes, beside the nose, on the nose...stippling on the nose is a bit odd haha!

Also like with other sponges if you dampen this, it would work much better. I have seen people use this different ways...like going back and forth with it and rolling it on each side, or dabbing it onto the skin. The latter would pose more of a risk of wasting too much foundation.

So I feel that if these came in packs, and were cheap enough like regular cosmetic sponges, I might give them another try, but until then I am going to stick with my stippling brush. Also if you have redness and blemishes to cover up, a dabbing motion rather than a downward motion would work the best. That's why these sponges and the stippling brush work so well for people who have acne. If you want to try this, and live in Canada, go to London Drugs and pick up the sponge before making the splurge on the real deal..the brand is called "London Look" I believe, and I found it where they keep the nail grooming tools. The reason I am giving it a 3 is that it is a fabulous tool to apply liquid make-up, but not sustainable for many people (myself included).