November 27, 2014 | 1680 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2012 8:09:00 AM More reviews by terrilynyvonne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So glad I purchased this. Never the less it did kill me to pay 26 dollars for a sponge, but it's well worth it. The flawless finish it gives your skin is amazing and it feels so light!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2012 5:43:00 AM More reviews by sitknee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading rave reviews, I was still unsure about purchasing because you mostly have to find it online and, well, it's a sponge for a premium. However, I am so glad I finally broke down and got one!

The thing I love about this is the way it makes your make-up look so flawless. It leaves the most amazing, smooth finish and makes it so easy to apply a light layer of whatever and slowly build it. You have to try it to see how it makes foundation/bb cream/whatever look so much better.

As for cleaning... I refuse to buy the brand's cleaner. I've tried soaps and baby shampoo and I have to say that the best thing so far has been a bar of soap. Dove, to be exact. I'm not sure if it's too strong or something, but it does an amazing job at getting every bit of make-up from my sponge. Baby shampoo is my usual go-to, but it does a terrible job and takes forever to rinse out.

I've only had my sponge for a couple of months but it's held up very well and I hope it continues to do so! I really recommend everyone to at least try this out. If you want it from Sephora, you can always return it (I specifically asked about this product) so give this a chance! Keep in mind that everyone says dupes do not work the same way.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by cyberhd

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this sponge! It makes foundation, concealer and setting powder application easy without caking. Its pricey though for a sponge. I have tried other dupes but nothing compares to this. Easier to clean than my makeup brushes because it doesn't absorb so much product and I use Baby shampoo to clean it. I will be buying this over and over again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 8:22:00 PM More reviews by tsh82

i bought this for $8 and i like it.
it blends my highlights and concealer perfectly :D

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by xoJeniVeeox

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Ive tried so many different methods of applying my foundation and nothing has gave me such a flawless finish with minimal effort like the BB does. I use the BB with my Nars sheer glow foundation and I also use it with powders, blushes, and concealers. Ive also used it with drugstore foundations and the finish is still natural and flawless. This cuts my makeup time in half and is soooo easy to use. It feels so good on the skin and makes your makeup feel light and airy almost as if you weren't wearing anything. I read a few reviews about the BB prior to purchasing it saying that it absorbed a lot of product but Ive found that the best way to avoid this is to dab the foundation on your skin and then blend. It is a little hard to get the foundation stains out but I don't really mind as long as I know that its clean. It is a little pricey for a sponge but since its reusable I think its definitely worth it. Overall I think this is a great sponge and I doubt anything will be able to top this.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2012 6:12:00 PM More reviews by biddi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this every day to bounce on my MAC pro longwear concealer and it does a stellar job. I find my foundations are to sheer for this to work with them so when I find a fuller coverage foundation im totally putting this to the test! I find it applies the concealer perfectly with no patchiness and caking that I've encountered when using brushes and my fingers to pat in. I highly recommend!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 12:24:00 PM More reviews by dizzielittlerascal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this as I had originally bought a 'dupe' for this and wasn't impressed (a Cosmopolitan version). But I was curious to see if this was any better and although this was 3 times the price of the 'dupe' it is sooooo much better! I find it better with thicker foundations as it sheers them out to give me the coverage I prefer. Thinner foundation tends to be too sheer, so I will stick to my brushes for that. But I am so impressed that this little pink egg shaped pillow can do such a sterling job! I dot foundation on my face, then use this dampened to bounce the foundation around. If you do a search on YouTube, there are some excellent tutorials on how to use this successfully. I find it uses less foundation than a brush giving me much better results. It is also better being cleaned with the cleanser which goes with it, as I tried to use baby shampoo and Mac brush cleanser but they didn't do any where near as good a job as the bb cleanser. Oh, and have not noticed pink dye coming out of mine :o)

Edit: 31st Dec 2013. I have just bought my second beautyblender after using my original one roughly every other day (or so) for around 14/16 months of use!!!! And once again, my new sponge still doesn't bleed colour when washing (not that I can see anyway). So, I think that although the price seems steep at first, when you find out how long they last, they really are worth the money after all!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/4/2012 10:40:00 PM More reviews by gamahocha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a noob at make-up and this product really works wonders!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2012 8:23:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I actually really like these. Yes, they do use a lot of foundation but I have been watching some makeup videos on foundation application and your only supposed to dot your foundation on. I find that I save so much more by doing that. Plus these little badboys I have the egg and a gourd and they blend like no other.

I can't wait to try it after I use my fingers with BB cream to blend the hairline with one of these I see it works so well for that. All in all it really blends your makeup right if your sponge is taking to much foundation then your using to much. I recommend watching Michelle Phan on you tube her foundation tutorial is excellent.

So yes I will repurchase now that I found them on ebay I already have the cleaner or baby shampoo works fine as well. Luv this sponge I highly recommend it plus 1.99 on ebay you can't go wrong:)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/28/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by pocky

My only comments about the Beautyblender are that it soaks up a ridiculous amount of liquid foundation. Yes, I dampen my sponge. That doesn't do anything to keep the sponge from soaking up too much foundation. It's annoying if your foundation is cheap, but if you're using an expensive foundation, it's intolerable. I find that I get better a better application when I apply the foundation to my face in wide stripes with my fingers and blend the foundation in with the Beautyblender. If I need to layer more foundation, I dab on with my fingers and blend again with the Beautyblender. I've only had good application results with liquid foundations and powder foundations. My Diorskin compact foundation looks flawless when applied with the Beautyblender. Unfortunately, I can't seem to use the Beautyblender to apply loose mineral foundation without it looking cakey and gross.

Make it a point to thoroughly wash the foundation out of your Beautyblender after each and every application, let the sponge dry, and it should last you for a good 2 months before it starts to break down. The Beautyblender cleanser is a little too watery for me. Bobbi Brown brush cleanser works the best. I don't recommend baby shampoo since it gets too foamy and you'll have to spend some time trying to get all the suds out of the sponge. Dr. Brommer's Magic soap also works well in a pinch. It's not as good as Bobbi Brown but not as foamy as baby shampoo. Don't bother wasting your money on the Beautyblender cleanser. It's nothing to write home about.