beautyblender the sponge

4.4

on 5/18/2013 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I really didn't want to like this sponge, but I do like it. I like it for powder foundations, it made my Burberry powder just melt into my skin giving wonderful coverage, not cakey, not powdery in the least. The trick is you need to use this with the right foundations, I used this with my bb cream and thought it was crap, but with my Koh Gen Doh foundation it is gorgeous. No streaks, no blending, you don't end up looking cakey or using too much foundation either, wonderful :)

on 5/18/2013 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

For years, I resisted purchasing this trying to avoid the hype. I thought to myself..what's the big deal? It's a sponge. How different can it be from those sponge wedges I can buy from CVS or walmart?

It is truly something special people. It diffuses the liquid foundation to a natural finish while keeping the coverage. It's pretty awesome. I try to take good care of it because it's so expensive. It's difficult to wash even with the beauty blender soap.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I tried few generic brands which didn't work me for so I finally gave it a go to purchase the real deal. It gives me flawless results, truly amazing. The downfall was when I washed it the first time, the bottom flat part started ripping apart which was quiet disappointing. And I'm not too pleased how expensive this thing is. I'll only repurchase during sale/coupon.

on 5/15/2013 10:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I bought this through Teambuy, a package deal of 4 sponges for under $20 plus shipping which came to $24 Canadian. It looks exactly the same as the one I've seen in the store but can't say for sure whether it's the genuine product as it came through the Jade & Juliet website. It came in a cheap plastic bag, not the nice plastic box where it can easily air dry standing up in it.

Wet the sponge twice and tightly squeeze dry after each soak. This prevents the sponge from absorbing your makeup - you want it on your face not the sponge. If it's liquid make-up, put a little in your hand and then put some on the sponge. Apply the sponge onto areas of your face and kinda roll the sponge so the makeup gets on the skin evenly. Resist the temptation to rub it in. You can also pat it. I've used it for primer, foundation, blush, even eye makeup. Haven't tried it for lipstick. I like the shape of the sponge. the pointy end is useful for getting around small areas like the nose and eyes. I use the bottom round end for blush. I use the middle of the sponge for foundation and primer. For concealer, you can still use the sponge, or use your finger or brush for more coverage.

You're assured of not having a heavy makeup look, looks more like airbrushed but better. I've done real airbrush makeup and this sponge does a better job. It feels nice and light on your skin, but still looks polished. This does take a little more time than using regular brushes. You also have to make sure you clean your sponge every single time after usage. I bought the Beautyblender soap (the real one) to wash it with. I then let it air dry sitting up in a small bowl.

on 5/14/2013 11:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have the pure beauty blender and I love it. Although, I would not recommend this sponge since the dye bleeds and can cause acne. I will not purchase.

The only thing I despise more than this sponge is the fact I am embarrassed that I spent $20 on a stupid disposable sponge. I feel ripped, and I don't let the fact that I paid so much for it convince me that it's any good. I can't imagine this costs more than $0.40 to produce.
First of all, it absorbs WAY too much foundation. If you doubt the absorbency capabilities of this product, put it in water and watch it grow to 3x it's regular size. It's a great way to throw your foundation down the toilet.
It's dang near impossible to clean. The super mega absorbency draws the foundation in deep. They should make a tampon out of this material.
It might be good for people that want sheer application and like the philosophy of putting too much on then taking away.
This is a classic gimmick of pretty packaging, appearance, and the false sense of luxury by overcharging. The 2 dollar disposable makeup wedges do a better job. It doesn't hold a candle to using your fingers and good quality brushes.
Edit: totally agree with previous poster that this is a prime breeding ground for molds and bacteria to fester in. Good luck getting this completely clean and sanitized- use the cheapo makeup wedges for a superior product that you can throw away without remorse for being overcharged.

on 5/12/2013 4:33:00 AM

This is the best tool I've ever purchased for foundation application and beats any brush, fingers, or sponge hands down for me. It's simple to use, cuts application time in half, and provides me with a flawless results each time with any of my fave foundations. The product is great quality, durable, and washes easily. Love it and after using this I'll probably never go back to any other application method again. I've already purchased a back up and a few for gifts for my friends and family.

So I gave the product 5 stars because it is a wonderful tool. It does exactly what it claims.
However, I will probably never buy another one again just because how fast it rips apart! I splurged twice on this beauty blender and non of them lasted for more than a month. At that price range I just think there are better alternatives. Stick with foundation brushes!

on 5/7/2013 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I love this sponge so so so much.

Please trust me when I say the sonia kashuk and other generic brands with their knock off versions of this do not compare at all.

I use this with my foundation by wetting it, squeezing it and then squeezing it again with my towel so it is does not have a lot of water on it.

I noticed that when my sponge is more damp my concealer gets rubbed off when I try to blend it.

washing it is pretty easy too although some of the pink from the sponge comes off in the process thats not a big deal to me.

Overall I don't like that this is 20 bucks but I will forever be purchasing this miracle sponge.

on 5/6/2013 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Oh how I wanted to love this. But I'm sorry to say I can't stand this product. For me, it's awkward to work it, it absorbs a huge deal of makeup (even though I do use the sponge wet), and the worst part is that if you have any concealer on beforehand, this sponge will completely remove it with one pass. Seriously?!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools