October 1, 2014 | 1692 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by Pandora7

I love EVCO...in my hair, my porridge, my smoothies...baking...curries. I use Nutiva and love it. For skin, I use this on dry hands to moisturize, or mix equal parts EVCO and sugar (about 1tsp each) and rub it around in my palms and hands for a minute before rinsing in warm water. Makes dry rough hands very silky and soft. I use this as a neck down, after shower moisturizer. I sadly do not tolerate this topically on my face. It left my acne worse than ever, and that took time to clear.

But, other than that, this is a staple in my kitchen and bathroom.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by JazzySnazzy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my daily staple for skin and hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by BeFineFilipina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Finally jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon after hearing about its wonderful use as a scalp/hair treatment from this Ayurvedic practicing woman. The smell really surprised me... I expected a Hawaiian Tropics-like coconut smell but instead, it was really light and smelled like shredded coconuts. It absorbed really easily into my hair and didn't leave me greasy after I shampooed (I deep condition with it pre-poo but also may put a bit on as a balm after). If it's >74 degrees or so, it stays solid but melts easily between my hands. It also has a cooling sensation to it when I rub it into my scalp.

Because I have oily skin I don't use this on my face at all. If I slab on a ton of oil in my hair as a deep conditioner, I tie it up because the oil on the strands around my face will break me out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2012 8:50:00 PM More reviews by irishgrant

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I discovered raw organic coconut oil when my dog picked up a minor topical fungal infection and shared it with me. I read that coconut oil used topically has anti-fungal properties, so I decided to give it a go when Rx topical treatments weren't working as well as I'd hoped. I don't know if my own immune system kicked in, or if the coconut oil did the trick, but after only a week using coconut oil topically twice a day, the fungus wasn't among us any longer :) I continue to use it because it makes my skin velvety soft. As a pre-shampoo treatment once a week, it's inexpensive and effective against frizz. For cooking, I mix a little with olive oil, and since it's solid to 76 degrees F, I remove it from the jar with a clean spoon. Any tiny amount of coconut oil left on the spoon discreetly finds its way to my neck before the spoon goes in the sink. I wonder how many other ways this lovely oil can be used!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2012 7:49:00 PM More reviews by MissLivia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My review is for Garden of Wisdom's Virgin Coconut Oil. Apparently, virgin coconut oil is NOT comedogenic; refined or fractionated coconut oil IS. I can attest to this because the virgin coconut oil im using has NOT broken me out, in fact, it has actually helped reduce some bumps on my face (note that my skin is definately not acne prone, just a few occasional bumps, so YMMV if you have acne prone/oily skin.) I also like using VCO on my hair as a deep conditioner...works just as well as the olive oil i was using. I was hoping that the coconut oil would help with the coldsore i developed (researched that VCO has anti-viral properties), but it didn't seem to have a massive effect (certainly didnt hurt though). perhaps i didnt use it early enough...? all in all, im really liking coconut oil. i will definately continue to use it!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2012 7:32:00 PM More reviews by alicemcc

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I heard that coconut oil is great for the hair and since i have one through two tubs using it as a deep conditioning treatment. I comb a quarter of a cup through my hair before bed and leave it on overnight. My hair looks healthier and frizz free after washing, however like other people have said make sure you wash your hair twice. I think the product is also working for hair growth, i have damaged hair which takes a while to grow and since i started using this a month ago my hair has grown at least 3 inches!

Cant wait to try this product for other purposes!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by celiaj

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yum yum, excellent on toast with honey and also very good on my previously acne prone skin. I was really surprised that this didn't break me out, because just about every other moisturiser I have ever tried has. Strangely it cleared up my few remaining spots, while soothing my skin.

It's about 15 for a large glass jar in the UK, and a little goes a long way so this is pretty good value for money.

Other uses include as a body lotion (although my body is not so willing to absorb it and I am left feeling oily) and as a deep conditioning hair treatment. Also helps reduce cholesterol and very good to cook with, if cooking is your thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2012 10:50:00 AM More reviews by djtorrey

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I haven't used coconut oil as a beauty product, but since reading all these reviews, I'll give it a try. But I did want to mention that Vitacost sells it at discount. I order it on that site fairly regularly and use it in cooking. One recipe: boil or steam whole sweet potatoes, then slice into 1/4-inch round slices and fry in coconut oil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2012 10:22:00 AM More reviews by ilovethe80s87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Just a few months ago my family has gone on a coconut oil frenzie. My grandmother has alzheimers and there has has been research done that shows that consuming coconut oil (Idk how much) can help slow the progression of alzheimers; so my mom (who thinks she may develop this disease since her mother has it) went to the store and bought several jars. She cooks with it, but I use it for different reasons:
-- It makes a great tanning oil!
-- I pour some in my bath water and use it for a moisturizer soak
-- mixed with avocado, it makes a great deep conditioning treatment

Coconut oil is very comedogenic, so I don't use it on my acne-prone face. Other than that, it works really well at softening skin and hair. (And the price for a jar of it might be a little expensive, but it has alot of applications, and the jars we get are pretty big, so in the long run, it's not that expensive).

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by lovepink82407

Coconut oil is my all time favorite product!!! I use it in my hair over night about 3 times a week and I use it on my skin after showering. The results are incredible. My hair has been restored and I LOVE how shiny it is after I wash the oil out. I also use it on my face to prevent future wrinkles (Im only 20 but it's never too early to prevent aging skin, haha). All in all, coconut oil is pure magic that I will buy again and again.