April 18, 2014 | 933 users online

Polishes - China Glaze - Ruby Pumps

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/12/2006 10:17:00 PM More reviews by styrch

I'm saying no I won't buy this again, but truly I'll have to see. I like the color itself a lot. But it takes FOREVER to dry, IMO. I've had it on my nails for an hour now and it's still a bit tacky (two coats). It does take two coats to cover well. I can see why people would want to use this over other polishes so it could be very useful as a supporting color. But it's really fun on the nails by itself and I would recommend it, regardless of the lukewarm rating I'm giving it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2006 5:13:00 PM More reviews by princesss

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this polish. It is the perfect red and it is packed with red glitter. It literally is Dorothy's shoes in polish form. Three coats give complete coverage but this also looks great over a red or black polish.
The only complaint I have about this one is that it is a pain to remove. But it is worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2006 3:47:00 PM More reviews by orisha_girl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I've been on a lifetime quest for the perfect red, and after reading the amazing reviews for Ruby Pumps I decided I simply must have some! I held my breath as the first coat went on - it seemed thin and watery, and more pink than red. In the end it took three coats to get the depth of colour on the bottle. I used OPI nail envy as a base and top coat, and this helped the colour last a week or more. The colour is just gorgeous, a real antidote to my collection of dark, vampy reds, which can seem a bit po-faced in comparison to the girly, flirty sparkle of Ruby Pumps. Holy Grail nail colour for sure - if I had one wish though, it would be for even MORE glitter! UPDATE: I've discovered this looks amazing if you put one coat over the top of a black polish - very diva, very glam... it actually emphasises the sparkle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2006 11:38:00 AM More reviews by newsystyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This looks like a deep red on me, and it's oozing with glitter. Very sparkly, and not at all like Essie's Ruby Slippers, which is more sheer and the glitter is more sparse. Ruby Pumps, from China Glaze's "Wizard of Ooh Ahz" collection, can go from summer to winter easily because of the deepness of the red. I would actually prefer it for the colder months. This wears impecably well after one coat, but two is what makes it great. The glitter here is chunky, but not as chunky as those from the other colors in the collection like "Dorothy Who?" and "Good Witch?". I would definitely continue to repurchase this color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2006 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Cara_M

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a gorgeous sparkly red polish. I only use it as a topcoat as it is too sheer and pinky alone, but over another red polish, it's just WOW! I'd repurchase this is a heartbeat, it's so, so pretty.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2006 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Joanie41

I asked about a glittery red polish on the boards, and this is what was recommended. LOVE this. In fact, I don't even want to wear another polish all summer -- this is perfect in every way. So far, I've only worn it on my toes, and I just love the way it looks. Price is right, too. Good stuff!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2006 4:09:00 AM More reviews by Canuck317

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

In a word....WOW. What a gorgeous color! It really does feel like you are wearing Dorothy's slippers on your nails. I'm a fair skinned redhead, and this color looks wonderful on both tips and toes. For me, it's hard to find a great red that doesn't end up looking a little like a tomato, so I was very happy to find this shade. The glitter isn't too severe, just adds that extra touch.....very eye-catching! Definite repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2006 6:27:00 PM More reviews by mizsockmonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I absolutely love this and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat (and I'm sure I will), but I have to agree with what other reviewers are saying about the wear. It does seem to chip much faster than other polishes, even with a top coat.

Oh well. I'll just continue to paint my nails with it and almost get in car accidents because I'm admiring their beautiful sparkly redness. If it didn't chip so much I think I'd wear it all the time.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2006 10:57:00 AM More reviews by scotpaulabear

Totally agree with the "ruby slippers" comparison - I felt very sexy and shimmery with this on! I've only used it so far as a topcoat (most recently with Opi I'm Not Really a Waitress - thanks to everyone who gave me that idea!) and I got tons of compliments. Lots of fun, easy to put on and not that hard to take off. I'd definitely get this again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2006 12:26:00 AM More reviews by fivezero

Like other reviewers have said, it really does look just like the ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz! This is the nicest glitter polish I've ever used - it goes on really smoothly, the glitter is evenly distributed, and it lasted about 4 days on my toes before chipping (no top coat used). I've touched up the minor chips and it still looks as shiny as ever!

Pics:Nails

By the way, here is a round-up of the Ruby Slipper nail polishes I've tried:China Glaze - Ruby PumpsThe ultimate in red glitter. Gorgeous ruby red with red glitter aplenty. Perfect ChG application, as always.Color Club - Ruby SlipperThis is more red glitter with red nail polish added to it, rather than the other way around. A metric assload of glitter.Avon - Nailwear - Ruby SlipperBeautiful neutral red with loads of fine red and silver microglitter, making it a tip colour for the less daring.Maybelline - Wet Shine Diamonds - Cherry CaratsA pinker red with pretty red glitter. Not quite as blingy as ChG's, but perfect if you were wanting a pinker red.Sally Hansen - Magical Nail Makeup - Ruby SlipperDo not be fooled. This is peeeeeeenk. But with holographic glitter, so it's all good.Essie - Ruby SlippersProbably the worst of the lot, even though SH's isn't even red. This is like a failed batch of ChG Ruby Pumps, before they discovered the fab formula #409 that became ChG Ruby Pumps. Essie's glitter is haphazard and doesn't spread out evenly. I love Essie, but this was a bummer. continued >>