October 25, 2014 | 1663 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2004 11:27:00 AM More reviews by nora80

Thanks to sillysilly for allowing me to sample this product :) I concur with a lot of what has already been said regarding Shiseido's spf 55 face/body lotion - it is quite matte (although not *completely* matte on me), very light in texture, non-comedogenic for my skin (I'm combo-breakout-prone), quite water-resistant, and has fairly decent UVA and UVB protection for a US sunscreen. On the negative side, it leaves a bit of a white cast, although only when my skin is v. dry; it contains fragrance; also, the UVA protection is rather lower than those of Cdn/Euro/Asian sunscreens, and the UVB protection provided by octinoxate isn't stable...although the amount of zinc oxide in the product is likely to provide a decent amount of stable spf. It's also rather pricy, but that's not surprising for a Shiseido sunscreen which also happens to be one of the more protective and cosmetically elegant versions on the market.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2004 11:18:00 PM More reviews by clove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Just for clarification, I believe there are two suncreen lotions, one strictly for the face and one for the face and body. As per the great recs on the skincare board, I purchased and am reviewing the lotion for face and body. This suncreen doesn't leave a greasy finish or too much of a white cast. Mabye when we have easy access to more protective sunscreens in the US I'll switch, but untill then I'll stick with this.

Edited 1/23/08:
    I've never repurchased this because it's just too drying for me, even in the summer. It would be fabulous for those with oilier skins.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2004 10:19:00 AM More reviews by Rhoni

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

After learning a LOT about sunscrean from some of the wonderful people here, I purchased this (and am VERY happy I did!) It leaves a nice matte finish and also has great sun protection. I wear this if I am going to be outdoors for long periods of time and need the protection. It DOES cause clogged pres for me though (silicones and I do not get along!)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2004 3:36:00 PM More reviews by moomist

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think this might be my holy grail sunscreen. I used to use Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 30, which I really liked except for the oily white residue it left on my face. The Shiseido USP lotion smells great, and is barely noticeable on my skin, even though I slather it on. It withstood a full sunny day outside without giving me any color at all. All in all a fantastic product!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2004 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Purple_sun

I LOVE this. very matte finish, good protection. I'm not out in the sun for more than 1 to 2 hours (not at the same time) so I have no problem with this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2004 3:19:00 PM More reviews by beauty_junky

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Unlike the other reviews I know nothing about Europe sunscreens. This was pricey at $36.00 for 3.3 oz but I picked it up at Sephoras anyway because it had the highest SPF VERY WATER RESISTANT in the store.I have combo type skin and find that this absorbs quickly and my skin feels luxurious soft and silky. My makeup goes on great so Im pretty happy with this and would purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2004 10:58:00 PM More reviews by rjulie510

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG sunscreen. In terms of UVA protection, this one will be one of the best sunscreens you'll find in the US market, if not the best. While I am well aware the fact European sunscreens provide better UVA protection, it's also a well-known fact that European sunscreens are known for its greasiness. So far all the European sunscreens have been either too greasy, irritated my skin or broke out. This stuff provides absolute matte finish. Finish is very elegant. I can start putting on makeup right away. It has fragrance, but I don't mind it. Besides price tag, it's the best sunscreen I have found so far. But I'll continue to buy this sunscreen UNTIL I can find something better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2004 10:18:00 PM More reviews by woodstock

This will be consider as the best sunscreen in US market. Asia and Europe are superior to those in US market in terms of cosmetic elegance and protection. I pick this up as I'm out of Ducray SPF 30 and waiting for Anthelios SPF 40 fluide to arrive. Got 13.9% Zinc Oxide and 7.4% Oxtinoxate which offer high UVB protection. Eventhough it is PA+++, which only Zinc Oxide alone, it will only yield a ppd about 8-10. Which is considerably low comparing to the European Sunblock which got PPD of 15 and above. I really like the texture and finish of this product, matte and only a tiny bit of shine. However, i don't like the fragrance in it. And it costs more than me ordering european sunscreen from France with shipping cost included. The low UVA protection and cost are the reasons why I won't repurchase. Also there is some pore clogging ingredients like stearic acid, isostearic acid, Dextrin Palmitate. In order to obtain the fluide texture, alcohol is used as well. So if you are sensitive to alcohol and fragrance, pass on this.

Active Ingredients: Oxtinoxate 7.4%, Zinc Oxide 13.9%
    Ingredients: Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, polybutene Glycol/PPG-9/1 Copolymer, Dimethicone Copolyol, Dextrin Palmitate, Xylitol, Methyl Glutathione, Zinc Myristate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Thiotaurine, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Ectoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Isosteari Acid, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Alcohol, Trisodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide. continued >>

29 out of 33 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No