October 23, 2014 | 1984 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Expert Face Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 4:08:00 PM More reviews by busymommy

Great brush!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2012 2:12:00 AM More reviews by Umstael

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Amazing Brush! Has an airbrush effect on the face with light foundations. My tip is to use a buffing motion for a really natural and soft look to your foundation. It is extremely well priced for what it is! Super soft and dense bristles with a sturdy handle.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2012 1:25:00 AM More reviews by bumblebee770

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My first review! After trying and giving up on a Prescriptives foundation brush in early 2000's, I never had any interest in using a foundation brush again. I ordered this last week on a sale at Ulta and wow am I impressed. I used it today with MAC Pro Longwear liquid foundation and it was incredibly easy to use - I just put the same amount of foundation that I normally use (one area at a time) and brushed it out with this brush. No learning curve, no fuss at all. It gives a truly smooth finish, doesn't use any more product and was quick and easy to wash. I'm not as excited about the powder and blush brushes but this is amazing!
Edit (next day) This is truly wonderful. My skin looks perfect. May buy a backup, I'm in love with this brush and it's truly soooo easy to use, I actually just brush the foundation down and out with short strokes instead of a circular motion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2012 9:34:00 PM More reviews by Triscuits

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this brush!

PRO'S:

*Blends foundation so effortlessly that it takes less than a minute for me to apply foundation and achieve a perfectly blended and seamless finish.(any type of foundation!) It seems as if this brush just automatically blends the product the second it makes contact with my skin, it's so weird, like a magic wand or something, so no need for me to buff and buff and buff and buff.

*Doesn't soak up product and, if I buff to achieve more coverage in problem areas, the brush quickly runs out of product and looks, I dunno, clean? So it's like the brush serves as just a medium to deliver product to the skin rather than just transferring the excess that it can't absorb or grab on to. And this isn't just because it's synthetic, most of my brushes are synthetic (which I prefer) but it's like the density is not so crazy dense that it traps product within itself, and it's not like that weird plasticy bamboo-looking kind of bristles that collects coats of product on each strand of bristle. This brush, unlike other synthetics I own, delivers, literally.

*Is light weight

*So easy to clean, which is probably because it isn't so crazy dense and therefore any leftover product and cleaning solution doesn't get trapped.

*Very very soft, but also very very firm. Feels so lovely on the skin, and the control is amazing. It is not floppy at all and not prickly at all. However, there is a con to this, but not a big con (see cons)

*I really like that I can stand the brush up when I need to set it down for whatever reason during my make-up routine. I'm a germ-a-phobe, so this feature has relieved some anxiety for me during my routine, but there is also a con with this, but not a big con. (see cons)

*I find myself eyeing the brush in my brush holder, taking it out, and brushing it against my hand or my face...for no reason other than that it feels nice. Is that weird? Probably.

CON'S:

*The wide bottom for standing it upright is great during my makeup routine, but not so great for storage in my make-up holder. But for Real Techinique's to relieve this con they'd have to go against my pro about this feature, so basically they'd have to make the brush be what it's not, and what it is, at the same time, which I think is impossible and violates a law of logic or something.

*While extremely soft, it's a bit too firm for use on or around the delicate eye area. I've tried to be more gentle, but it's still just a little too firm for me to comfortably use on that delicate skin.

*The ferrel is a metallic orange. I like orange as much as the next person, but this color of orange is kind of tacky-looking, looks cheap, like halloween orange from afar, and a weird peachy orange up close. I dunno, it's just of a shame that the best brush in my collection is also the ugliest and the cheapest-looking. But, for the price and quality, I'll take it. I'd rather have an ugly brush that cost less than 10 bucks that works than a pretty brush that works and cost more than 30 bucks.

Speaking of 30 dollar plus brushes, I was on the fence between this and the Sephora airbrush #56, if I had thought the Sephora brush was even just a hair better in application and results I would have purchased that one. But watching youtube demo's of both brushes, and reading reviews, this Real Techinique's brush was the one I would have purchased, even if it had been more expensive than the sephora one. It was just a bonus in my mind that this brush was the less expensive brush.

Definintely recommend.

One more comment about how it applies foundation. I have large pores and 2 ice pick marks that have made several foundations I've purchased end up in my make-up drawer of FAIL products. I've since pulled those foundations out to see if they'd do any better with this great brush, and...indeed, they have. No more polka dotted face from foundation going into my large pores and 2 ice pick marks. It's like my foundation world has been liberated just because of this brush!

Another note is that I have one 1/2 inch length dehydration smile line wrinkle that I have to be conscious of when applying foundation to avoid product caking and settling in it. Since I began using this brush, I haven't had to be as conscious of this line.

This brush is a freakin' magic wand, I tell you what.

41 out of 44 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2012 3:18:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I adore this brush. I use it every day to apply my Laura Geller face spackle because it buffs the product into my skin and gives me a beautiful air-brushed finish. I feel like I apply less product than when I apply with my fingers.

I love the shape of the bristles as well. Gets around my eyes and nose with ease and is not too big or too small.

Since I use this daily, I spray it down with daily brush cleaner or when I'm lazy, I wipe off with a m/u remover wipe and it's squeaky clean.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2012 10:40:00 AM More reviews by missvox2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is such a handy and versatile brush. I am loving the size and shape of this brush. Its a unique size which I have not seen in other lines. The bristle are so fluffy soft and not too dense like Sigma or sharp feeling as Ecotools. I use it for blending and buffing on foundation or concealer as it make application so easy. You can use this to highlight and contour as well. Love it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

This is great for the cream or cream to powder fdn.; similar to the Sephora Profession Platinum series #56 but better, much much better. You can stipple, buff, or even apply powder fdn. with this. Cream to powder fdn. can be trickly to apply at times and this brush does the job nicely, with ease. I also use it to stipple on concealer for those larger areas. Not to mention at 1/5 the price.
The only complaint is the big fat non-functional end of the handle, I wish there is a pencil sharpener to thin it out.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by Madwilso

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I, like everyone else, adore this brush. I'm not a huge make up brush snob, but I also don't fault people for spending the big bucks on brushes (I own a few MAC brushes). I find that mostly you get what you pay for, with the exception of the Real Technique brushes, these are amazing for the price.
I love how soft the bristles are, but my favorite thing is that it is truly a 1-brush-that-does-every-thing-for-every-type-of-face-product item. I am super low maintenance (some people might say lazy) when it comes to my make up. You can start with a bare face and use it for liquid/cream/powder foundation, then use it for liquid/cream/powder highlighter or bronzer or blush without having to clean it or swap it for a different type. It blends everything so wonderfully.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2012 4:26:00 AM More reviews by pashmeash

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

this is a completely fabulous brush. it can buff in virtually anything you want - liquid, cream or powder foundations, contour, highlighter or blush. it's relatively dense so it can really get on in there and get the product right where you want it, as flawless-looking as you want it. the shape makes it extremely versatile - as i said, not many brushes can can do foundation AND contour, but it's like this brush was made for both. i haven't experienced any problems with shedding and it really is as soft as everyone keeps talking about. the handle is a little big and would probably be the worst thing i could say about it. drying time after washing is also relatively quick. i mainly use this for my bb cream or foundation on a daily basis and it has taken over my sponge as my favourite application method.

considering how cheap this is ($9 on iherb), this brush is a STEAL. DO IT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by wickedcoolmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i have been reaching for this brush more than any other brush since i have gotten it 2 months ago. i use it for foundation application and or concealer. some days i skip foundation and just use concealer under my eyes and around the nose and other spots...this brush is good for putting on all my base makeup. it is so soft and does not feel prickly even when i stipple, washes easily...unlike the sigmax brushes which i find pretty hard to clean. i like everything about this brush except the wide rubber handle at the bottom. it is hard to fit in my brush holder...takes up so much space so i just stand it up on its own with my other real techniques brush but it gets knocked off every time i reach for something on top of my vanity during makeup application..so i wish the handle was constructed like traditional brushes. other than this complaint, i love it! i am tempted to go buy another one.