LUSH coal face soap

3.9

Liquorice Root Decoction (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Stearate, Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeordora), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Powdered Charcoal, Sandalwood Oil (Santalum album), Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, *Linalool, Perfume, Silver Edible Lustre (Potassium aluminum silicate, Titanium dioxide, Iron oxides and hydroxides)

on 2/15/2005 1:22:00 PM

At last a Lush product i like! I use the origins charcoal face mask, so i thought why not try the coal face soap. i tend to have blemished skin if i dont look after it properly (didnt the whole spot thing used to stop when youre 20 in the old days? i m 23 now!) I can really recommend this soap, i use it every morning, if you use it twice a day you ll need to moisturize big time as it can dry a bit. Also try the cupcake facemask from lush. The thing i find annoying with lush it that theres no packaging for the face soaps, apart from this little plastic bag. i hope they ll come up with something!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I have oily skin and have been using this in combination with Angels on Bare Skin. I always forget that natural face scrubs make me break out BAD so I don't know what I was thinking. Anyways, I really enjoy the smell, it's simialr to licorice. I thought that it made my face feel good, sort of tight but still soft. I bought it in a LUSH store for $11CDN. I guess that's not too bad, that bar will last me a long time. I don't think that it is something that I will use regularily, I prefer BIOTHERM. However, for the price it's good. It's something that my boyfriend (who believes that using Ivory soap on his face is OK) would benefit from. It would work in a pinch.

on 1/8/2005 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is my Favorite LUSH face cleanser. This will become a staple in my orders. If i cut it into little squares it lasts a long time. I have combo skin and this is great in the summer. It's a bit drying in the winter but nothing too bad. I actually like the smell and the black suds.

on 1/6/2005 5:47:00 PM

I love this! I bought it based on the good reviews and comments about oil reduction, and am nothing but pleased. I found that this is a little too intense for my whole face (sensitive/combo skin) but it works wonders in my oily zones--my forehead. This bar will last forever, but when I do run out I'll definitely repurchase. Yea Lush!

on 11/22/2004 3:48:00 PM

I have been using my Coalface Soap in conjunction with the Cosmetic Warrior mask (see other review) and the results are fantastic! My skin hasn’t looked this smooth, even and glowy in years. The only problem I can see – and I cannot tell if this is from the CW mask or the coalface – is that it has kind of a garlic odor when I use it. The smell is not that pleasant. But it leaves my skin squeaky clean without any dry or tight feeling. It has the tiniest charcoal particles which scrub just enough without being an all-out exfoliator. One of the nice things about LUSH soaps is that you can really get as much or as little as you want. I was unsure about Coalface, so I asked for about a halfsize bar. I am definitely getting the fullsize bar next. Would love to keep this regimen up as long as possible!

on 11/8/2004 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I like this soap for days when I don't have time for my full ProActiv routine or when I feel I need some deep exfoliation. Makes my skin soft and keeps excess oils at bay. I wish it were packaged in a box or something though because I'm really sick of cleaning black/grey mess off the counter and soap dishes.

on 10/19/2004 9:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is great for oily skins - I have an oily, spot-prone T-zone and it keeps it oil free all day; my make-up still looks great 12 hours after I put it on if I wash my face with Coalface first thing. I would imagine it to be far too drying for dry skins (obviously) and even someone with normal skin might get a bit too dried out (even my skin feels a bit dry with it sometimes). It's quite hard to get a decent lather, but it's enough to get my face clean. It's not a HG product for me or something I'd buy all the time, but it's quite good all the same. Probably good for summer when skin is a bit oiler in the heat anyway. It's also quite good at fighting spots, and it smells nice too, all licorice-y! (It's also got a bluey-greeny-purpley kind of shimmer to it too if you look closely - looks pretty cool in the bathroom!)

on 9/19/2004 6:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have oily spot pronce skin and found Fresh Farmacy to be far to drying for it. So I turned to Coalface and no I am not dissapointed. It removes all the excess oil very well and does not leave it dry. Works well for combatting spots also.

on 9/14/2004 9:05:00 AM

This is meant for combination skin and here I am (oily side), but this soap... is just soap.
As drying and simple as soap.
It leaves my sking with a squeaky feeling I don't like at all.
Plus, when I leave it on a surface, it forms a strange kind of disgusting blob that I have to rinse off before using the bar.

on 6/29/2004 3:39:00 PM

Excellent product. At first i must admit my skin did seem to get slightly oilier than it used to be, but it's got a lot better you just have to persevere with it. to the person who said you have to keep cutting chunks off of it, you don't. it's like any other soap, comes in a bar and you just lather it up between your hands or on a cloth and you wash your face with it. the foam isn't black it's a light grey. there are small pieces of charcoal in it (it depends where your piece was cut from as to how much you actually get of the charcoal) the smell is lovely and refreshing and it's not too scruby at all.