December 17, 2014 | 1847 users online

Cleansers - LUSH - coal face soap

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2004 3:39:00 PM More reviews by em1387

Excellent product. At first i must admit my skin did seem to get slightly oilier than it used to be, but it's got a lot better you just have to persevere with it. to the person who said you have to keep cutting chunks off of it, you don't. it's like any other soap, comes in a bar and you just lather it up between your hands or on a cloth and you wash your face with it. the foam isn't black it's a light grey. there are small pieces of charcoal in it (it depends where your piece was cut from as to how much you actually get of the charcoal) the smell is lovely and refreshing and it's not too scruby at all.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/22/2004 10:36:00 PM More reviews by monsika

This soap is messy and very drying!!! It seemed to work at first but after a few days of use it completely stripped the moisture from my face, leaving it cracked and broken out. Also I found it inconvenient to use as you have to cut little chunks off of the bar.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/17/2004 4:37:00 AM More reviews by juhae85

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I hate to be the minority here...but this sux!! I thought it'll be good for my oily/acne prone skin but ohhh no...it made me oilier and induced huge cystic pimples! and i had clear skin before i started using this..however on the other hand i really like the smell and its' unique(?) properties...hehe (i like it because it's black)..if it didn't cause breakouts i'd still continue to use it..but oh well..oh yea! and this stuff REALLY stings the eyes...maybe due to sodium lauryl sulfate?~!?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2004 3:42:00 PM More reviews by violet978

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Well, it smells like black licorice and tar, it has hunks of what may or may not be coal in it that have the potential to scratch skin.

It is VERY harsh and stripping, but for some reason I like it.

My oily skin on a hot summer day loves this stuff.

This is one of the few Lush products that I may repurchase.
It does bother me that if you use coal face with any other scented product (like if you're in the shower and using a nice shower gel)..it will completely overpower the other products.

Best used on its own.

Sensitive skin types should avoid, as should dryer skins.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2004 9:57:00 PM More reviews by eureka

This is a very wonderful soap for oily skin, and you can exfoliate with it as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2004 10:31:00 PM More reviews by mangolassi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is the first product where I have been able to say from the very first usage - I CANNOT LIVE WITHOUT THIS EVER AGAIN!
This is an incredible cleanser.
Normally I shun soaps for my face, because although it is greasier than the bottom of a bacon pan, it gets tight and dry and flaky after it is washed, esp. with soap.
At first the scent was a little off-putting (like black licorice), and the texture and appearance was a little weird (think grainy GREY suds on your face), but now I look forward to the smell and the way it feels is invigorating because I know my skin is getting super clean. I am using a sample now, but I will defintely purchase a big chunk of this stuff when it runs out.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2004 7:46:00 PM More reviews by locutus137

I love this soap. I was a bit skeptical about using a bar soap on my face, but this stuff is great. I like the way it smells too. I have combo/oily skin prone to breakouts and I've noticed a big improvement in my complexion. Plus, it just makes my face feel so darn CLEAN.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2004 6:55:00 PM More reviews by lilylotus

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I wouldn't normally purchase "soap" for my face for obvious reasons, soap is usually too harsh and stripping for delicate facial skin but I changed my mind the other day when I was in LUSH. The SA had the most beautiful, soft skin and told me she uses this coal face soap so I bought a small piece.
When I used it I was pleasantly surprised, the texture felt like normal soapy suds on my face but when I rinsed, it wasn't tight and dry at all and my skin felt super fresh.

This cleanser is geared towards problematic skin, and since mine can be a little temperamental I'm hoping this helps me in the long run. For now it's pretty good!

My only gripe would be the flimsy paper packaging, it's very cheap but I asked the lady to pop this in a little plastic jar for me and she happily obliged so that's what I keep mine in permanently now.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2004 11:47:00 AM More reviews by dumpling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of the very rare 'soaps' I would put on my skin, it is great for thoroughly cleansing the face after make up & sunscreen, I only use this at night as I want something less cleansing in the morning. What I like about this is it is extremely cheap & effective and more importantly has helped to reduce my level of oiliness & spots-my skin isn't perfect but it is lots better than before-basically I have worked out that though I don't have sensitive skin, it doesn't really like traditional chemical laden high & low -end products especially petro -chemicals . This will even more effective in the summer in making your face feel really clean, one thing I wouldn't even consider this if you are normal/dry you need to be at least oily/combo to benefit.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2004 10:15:00 PM More reviews by Jenelle

This is a good cleanser, but not my favourite. I used this for about a month and it didn't clear my face, but didn't break me out either, so I can't say anything negative about it really. I didn't find the price that expensive, for the piece I got I paid around $8. I used it for a month, in the shower and there is still atleast half left of what I began with. My only complaint of course is that it disappears because it is quite soft and doesn't really have anthing to protect it. Of course if I really liked this soap a lot, I'd invest in a container for it. All in all, this is a good cleaser, but didn't do anything amzing to my skin. I will probably use what I have left, but won't buy it again.