MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 7/16/2003 12:26:00 AM

This was once the only foundation I used! I'd always hated liquid foundations and the like, and dreamed of finding a powder that would give me decent coverage without looking chalky or caked on. Studiofix was it!My skin is definitely combination, but leans more towards the normal/dry side, and I find I get better results using this after I moisturize. As with any powder, this will emphasize flakes and dryness, so I can only see this working well for those with combo/oily skin. That said, it blots out shine, and evens out my skintone, without looking heavy or mask-like at all. I just look like I have 'good skin'! I only pick up a tiny amount on the sponge and pat/smooth it on gently - this provides just the right amount of coverage for me. My one complaint would be the packaging, it needs to be more klutz-proof! I always end up dropping the compact and the hinge breaks very easily, which means the cover won't stay on unless I'm careful about fitting it into place after every use. Very annoying. But don't let my idiocy scare you away!
******UPDATE******
I finally gave up on this after years of use. Partly because I didn't feel like going in for another color matching, partly because it seemed to be causing a lot of blackheads and clogged pores. I've moved on to mineral foundation now, and have no plans to return to using Studiofix in future. continued >>

on 7/14/2003 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Recently, I had my makeup done at the Nordies MAC counter and the MA used Studio Fix on my face. I had never used it before (have only used one other foundation in my life) so I was interested in trying it out. The MA used NC20, which is a perfect match for my skin (ETA: But for some reason, I am an NC15 in all other MAC foundation/concealer products...maybe SF just runs light?). I loved the look and feel so much that I decided to purchase it. At home, I am easily able to re-create the MA's look. I lightly apply this with a disposable non-latex makeup sponge or with my large powder brush. Either technique gives me a flawless finish. And I mean totally "magazine ad" flawless. Luckily, I have a good complexion, but even the best complexions still have some flaws, uneven skin tone, etc. Studio Fix takes care of all that. This sheer coverage foundation blends beautifully and is not dry/cakey on my normal skin, nor does it cause my face to get shiny later in the day. Since I apply this so lightly I anticipate it lasting a while, so for $23 it's not a bad price.

on 7/13/2003 2:23:00 PM

I have tried other powder foundations and always returned to MAC. It provides good coverage without looking as though you have makeup on.
Also, when touching up during the day, it does not build up. A staple in my makeup bag.

on 7/12/2003 4:35:00 PM

This has amazing coverage that can surpass many of its high end competition. This foundation/powder does not leave your skin feeling masklike. The packaging is wonderful with its bottom compartment to house the sponge. I plan to repurchase this product.

on 7/11/2003 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

The color is perfect, the packaging is cute, and it never breaks me out, either. However, it makes my face extremely greasy after 2 hours of using. I don't think I'll repurchase it again though.

I've been using studiofix for about 5 years now, and I absolutely love it. I would never switch to another type/brand of foundation. I blot it on just where I have applied concealer. I love the sponge that comes with it, b/c it doesn't cause streaks when it's applied.

on 7/10/2003 11:40:00 PM

This was a great powder foundation. It worked better than any other powder foundation I have ever tried. It covered like no other powder I have ever tried. I am the type of person who usually use to wear only a moderate coverage liquid foundation but this worked great.

on 7/9/2003 5:50:00 PM

This is my favorite foundation(powder) i have tried so far. the MA matched my to C2, and it was the perfect colour for my skin. it has not turned orange on me, like some of the other studiofix's in the past did, but i that was because i would always get the MA that gave me the wrong colour, and i was younger so i was to shy to point out the mistake. i would have given this 5 lippies, but its a little of sheer and i was hoping for more of a medium coverage. otherwise its perfect for me.

on 7/8/2003 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Good ol' Studio Fix. I've been using this stuff since the 8th grade, and it's never let me down. I'm an NC45, and before this, I used Clinique pressed powder, which was too cakey and too orangey.

Studio Fix he most natural-looking powder foundation I used until I discovered Origins Stay Tuned foundation and T. LeClerc loose powder.

Still, MAC Studiofixx is quick and easy, what with the compact packaging and all. It's a really good product. I haven't been at all pleased with the subtle price raise over the years though.

I've also heard that Urban Decay's Surreal Skin compact powder foundation leaves your skin slightly more luminous...so you might want to check that out as well.

on 7/8/2003 2:04:00 AM

This has been my #1 product since I first started using it, when I was about 18- (6 yrs. ago)...I would definitely recommend this to anyone, whatever skincolor or type you may have...& everyone I have told about this product has continued to use it as well. As other reviewers have said- you must exfoliate, & moisturize, if needed; as this powder will emphasize any dry/flaky skin...But this is THE BEST powder-foundation I have found, no matter how many I try (& I have tried tons, always looking for something better) I always come back to this, realizing there are none better...I use the sponge applicator where more coverage is needed, & sometimes use a brush to apply all over the face...Coverage can go from sheer to full, depending on how you apply...It has great staying power, even on my very oily T-zone, & does not cake...It really leaves skin looking flawless...I have used a few different shades over the years- NC30, NC35, C2, C3, C30- I'm in this in between stage right now & need to get to the MAC counter for advice...but the color range is excellent, especially for those of us w/ yellow-toned skin...If you haven't already- go & buy this...$22 is very reasonable for this quality product; even when applied 5 days a week it has lasted me a good 6 months...Great Product...

Video Reviews & Tutorials