MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 7/26/2003 12:07:00 AM

I was one of those who swore by Studio Fix. It was my holy grail. I wore it for years with no problems. But the last year or so I noticed it made my pores look huge, settled into my fine lines, became spotty if I perspired even just a tiny bit, and started looking cakey after just an hour or so. I finally asked a MAC "artist" at my local Nordstrom about it and she didn't have an answer for me, other than my skin must have changed. After speaking with her, I went to the Smashbox counter and told her my dilemma. She told me MAC changed the formula to Studio Fix and they now put a lot more talc in it. She also said that most of the girls she knew at the MAC counter didn't even wear it anymore, but, of course, they weren't allowed to say anything. Well, I complained to MAC on their website (great site by the way) and they responded right away (very impressive). They denied changing the formula, which I'm not sure I believe, but apologized and said they would send me a refund check (even more impressive). I'm heartbroken that Studio Fix doesn't work for me anymore, but I must say their customer service is excellent!

on 7/25/2003 7:12:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Although I prefer liquid foundation/powder combination, I like this product because of its simplicity and coverage. It does make my skin a bit oily though.

on 7/23/2003 7:03:00 PM

This is my HG powder foundation. The C2 is a perfect match for my skin (except for during the summer). This evens out my skin tone without giving that heavy foundation look. I use this with a damp sponge or with a fluffy brush, depending on the finish I want. This has no scent and has not caused me to breakout.

on 7/22/2003 7:39:00 PM

I have VERY pale skin (I wear Px Virtual Skin in Real Camellia 22), and the SA at MAC recommended NC20, which was waaaay to dark. I exchanged it for NC15 which the second SA assured me was light enough. After wearing it for about a week, it is definitely WAY too dark. I have oily/combo skin, and by the end of the day the Studio Fix was noticeably darker and even more orange than the beginning of the day (I will be returning it). It went on evenly, but the coverage was too heavy for my liking. I discovered that the coverage was much more even and light if i applied it with my Px powder blush.

I happened to be at Target a few days ago and took a gamble on the Sonia Kashuk Dual Coverage Powder Foundation in Ivory, and I loooove it! I have read a couple of makeup artists' reviews of this makeup and some of them complained that the Ivory is TOO pale/ashy, but it is absolutely the BEST match for me out of any lower end foundation (or higher end, for that matter) I have ever bought and matches my neck perfectly. It is heavy enough to cover up broken capillaries and my bluish under eye circles, but still looks like MY skin (but better, of course). The square sponge it comes with is useless (hey--it's only $9.99--what do you expect)?, and it goes on MUCH better with a sponge like the one that comes with Studio Fix. The *only* thing I would add to make it the perfect foundation for me is an SPF of 20 or higher, but right now this works great over my POLA 1/f suncut milk spf 30 sunscreen. I hope this helps someone.

on 7/16/2003 12:26:00 AM

This was once the only foundation I used! I'd always hated liquid foundations and the like, and dreamed of finding a powder that would give me decent coverage without looking chalky or caked on. Studiofix was it!My skin is definitely combination, but leans more towards the normal/dry side, and I find I get better results using this after I moisturize. As with any powder, this will emphasize flakes and dryness, so I can only see this working well for those with combo/oily skin. That said, it blots out shine, and evens out my skintone, without looking heavy or mask-like at all. I just look like I have 'good skin'! I only pick up a tiny amount on the sponge and pat/smooth it on gently - this provides just the right amount of coverage for me. My one complaint would be the packaging, it needs to be more klutz-proof! I always end up dropping the compact and the hinge breaks very easily, which means the cover won't stay on unless I'm careful about fitting it into place after every use. Very annoying. But don't let my idiocy scare you away!
******UPDATE******
I finally gave up on this after years of use. Partly because I didn't feel like going in for another color matching, partly because it seemed to be causing a lot of blackheads and clogged pores. I've moved on to mineral foundation now, and have no plans to return to using Studiofix in future. continued >>

on 7/14/2003 8:29:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Recently, I had my makeup done at the Nordies MAC counter and the MA used Studio Fix on my face. I had never used it before (have only used one other foundation in my life) so I was interested in trying it out. The MA used NC20, which is a perfect match for my skin (ETA: But for some reason, I am an NC15 in all other MAC foundation/concealer products...maybe SF just runs light?). I loved the look and feel so much that I decided to purchase it. At home, I am easily able to re-create the MA's look. I lightly apply this with a disposable non-latex makeup sponge or with my large powder brush. Either technique gives me a flawless finish. And I mean totally "magazine ad" flawless. Luckily, I have a good complexion, but even the best complexions still have some flaws, uneven skin tone, etc. Studio Fix takes care of all that. This sheer coverage foundation blends beautifully and is not dry/cakey on my normal skin, nor does it cause my face to get shiny later in the day. Since I apply this so lightly I anticipate it lasting a while, so for $23 it's not a bad price.

on 7/13/2003 2:23:00 PM

I have tried other powder foundations and always returned to MAC. It provides good coverage without looking as though you have makeup on.
Also, when touching up during the day, it does not build up. A staple in my makeup bag.

on 7/12/2003 4:35:00 PM

This has amazing coverage that can surpass many of its high end competition. This foundation/powder does not leave your skin feeling masklike. The packaging is wonderful with its bottom compartment to house the sponge. I plan to repurchase this product.

on 7/11/2003 6:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

The color is perfect, the packaging is cute, and it never breaks me out, either. However, it makes my face extremely greasy after 2 hours of using. I don't think I'll repurchase it again though.

I've been using studiofix for about 5 years now, and I absolutely love it. I would never switch to another type/brand of foundation. I blot it on just where I have applied concealer. I love the sponge that comes with it, b/c it doesn't cause streaks when it's applied.

Video Reviews & Tutorials