January 26, 2015 | 1934 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dove - Beauty Bar

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2010 5:49:00 PM More reviews by Mystyre

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using Dove white beauty bar for about a year now, and up until now I've really liked it. I love the scent; it smells fresh and clean but not baby-fresh and clean. I also find it to lather well and be very moisturizing. While I do usually follow up with lotion, I don't feel like the bar strips my skin of moisture at all. It is also very cost-effective for a frugal university student.

What I don't like about it are the ingredients. For some reason (probably just ignorance) I thought that Dove products didn't have any animal byproducts in them. I recently learned that this bar has sodium tallowate (also known as lye) which is derived from animal fat. The majority of the other ingredients are synthetic, and I'm trying to "green" my beauty routine, so I'm unimpressed with them as well.

I think that this product is a good, basic, gentle cleanser and I recommend it to people who don't share my opinions on animal and man-made ingredients. For those who feel similarly to I, I would suggest really educating yourself on what ingredients are and where they come from because a lot of the time companies only market their product on its overall effects and just skim over less-than-appealing facts.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2010 2:19:00 PM More reviews by AmCam28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

There are few products I purchase for years, but this is one. I have used this my whole life & love it. Dermatologists have recommended this for my oily face & my dry body. This does a great job at both. Whenever I try a "grass is greener" product that doesn't work out, I go to this. This has saved my skin on numerous occasions.

Pros: Inexpensive, removes light makeup, non-drying, doesn't make skin more oily or cause breakouts, gentle.
Cons: None.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by triniloveyxx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've always heard about using dove beauty bar on the face but I never tried it because it was "soap". But the other day I was in the shower and decided to give it a try. I've been using it for a few days now and I don't know if it's just me but my skin looks smoother and clearer. I'll be using this from now on instead of my $38 cleanser and see how it goes. Smells great too!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2010 3:36:00 PM More reviews by Olgtat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I love the smell, my friend uses it for make up removal like all life.))

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 9:53:00 PM More reviews by KLC101790

I have been suffering with different forms of acne all at the same time, red bumps, puss filled, and cystic. To combat the acne, I thought I should definitely use a cleanser with benzoyl peroxide, exfoliating beads, or salylic acid. And then I would apply a benzoyl peroxide gel treatment along with retin a at night. Let me tell you, my face did not clear, but became so irritated -- itching and burning me to the point of tears. I decided to eliminate using a cleanser with acne medicine in it and switch to ACNE.orgs cleanser, which is similar to the cetaphil cleanser. I still find that some make up is left over, so I love to use this as a gentle and effective way to cleanse my skin of impurities and dirt. Doesn't make my face tight after use, and never burns. I love this product and it sells for $1.00 a bar in my local Dollar Store. Can't beat that!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

I have been using crazy (probably way too harsh) facial cleansers in hopes of getting rid of my breakouts, and nothing has worked. After reading reviews on MUA, I figured I had to try it, especially with how cheap it is. I knew Dove was gentle but had never thought to use a bar soap as a facial cleanser. This stuff is super gentle, doesn't irritate my skin, has a nice lather and lovely clean scent, and my skin is way soft afterwards...and best of all..NO MORE BREAKOUTS!! It's a miracle. Granted I also use witch hazel toner and take D3 and Om3, but seriously, I'm pretty sure switching over to Dove has helped a lot too. Who knew after all these years that something that's been around forever and is so cheap would work the best. I also love it as a body soap too...try it...It could work for you too...

**Ok, I have to go back and re-edit. This worked for about a month with keeping my skin clear, along with my witch hazel and d3/om3 supplements. I don't know what happened, and I'm not saying this soap stopped working, but my breakouts are back, as well as clogged pores- who knows, could be stress, makeup, etc, but I will stress it's not a miracle product and breakouts will still happen. So while I still like this soap and find it fine to use on my face and of course my body, I'm not relying on it or feel it needs to be HG status. I am back to using other stuff, with this here and there.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2010 12:22:00 PM More reviews by feather314

This is for the Dove Face Bar. I think I heard that Dove is doing away with their skin care line so this may be hard to find. I couldn't find it at Target recently (which is where I bought it in the first place). Anyway, on to the review - I know it doesn't get a lot of love here on MUA but it works for me in sooooo many ways.

I have fair, combo skin with either reactive redness or rosacea (I have not been to a derm) and my skin tends to be very sensitive. I love how the face bar lathers into a silky creamy lather. It feels soft and luxurious. I use it mainly at night with my Clarisonic but have used it in the mornings as well. With Dove I get clean, soft, smooth skin with no irritation, reaction, etc. It also helps with the flakies.

I believe it may be HG - how do I know you may ask - because when I could no longer find it at Target I started to panic. I happened to be in Big Lots not too long ago and they had loads of it for $1.00 per bar. I scooped up 5 bars which should last some time. If I can't find anymore when I am done with these 5 I'll give the Sensitive Skin bar a try (which I also hear good things about).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 7:25:00 PM More reviews by volshorn08

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This bar works wonderfully for me. I use it on my face as well as my body, and am seriously considering trying it on my scalp. I was intrigued by the commercials about not leaving soap scum, so I went to the site and saw a video on how that works. The cleansing agents in this bar do not react with the calcium in the water, so it doesn't form scum. In my case, it doesn't irritate, or leave deposits on, my skin. My skin is softer, smoother, and clear. The water is hard (calcium rich) where I live, and it usually wreaks havoc on my skin. I have eczema patches all over (including my face) and all over my scalp. Since I have been using this soap, they have diminished greatly. This is why I want to try it on my scalp. Looks like I have an experiment this weekend! EDIT** I tried it in my hair for a few days, and it actually worked well for my scalp. It wasn't quite moisturizing enough for my hair though, even with a good conditioner. Also, I found a 4 pack on sale, and with a dollar off coupon, got the 4 pack for $1.75!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2010 11:32:00 PM More reviews by EssandeN

After using it on my face for two weeks i think this is my HG. Other products (Drugstore) would make the side of my face itchy, and make the side of my nose dry to the point where my skin would "crack". it would feel the same as using tissues alot when youre sick. anywho, it has a great lather, leaves my skin so clean and smooth and has even deminished the little pimples which are under the skin. i team this with the dove face cream. PERFECT!
I have only tried Laura Mercier when it comes to department store brands. that was fine. but honestly, i cant be skrewd cleansing and toning, with dove i can simply use it in the shower while washing my body.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/14/2010 11:19:00 PM More reviews by supabon2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Best all-over body soap. Not drying at all, and leaves skin clean with no soapy traces.