Dove Beauty Bar

4.4

sodium lauroyl isethionate, stearic acid, sodium tallowate or sodium palmitate, lauric acid, sodium isethionate, water, sodium stearate, cocamidopropyl betaine, sodium cocoate or sodium palm kernelate, fragrance, sodium chloride, tetrasodium edta, tetrasodium etidronate, titanium dioxide.

hello!

so, i decided to go with the unscented, sensitive skin version because my dermo reccomended i use Dove bars on my skin. i had been using a plain neutrogena bar, but it wasnt helping too much and i felt like it was drying my skin.

skin type: i had little red bumps in my t-zone, along with some full-on pimples. the bottom of my nose is dry as well as patches on my cheeks. my t-zone, especially my forehead, is ridiculously greasy.

so i began using this bar on my face 2x a day. once in the morning after i run (cleanses off dirt and sweat very well), and once at night. i follow with a rich moisturizer (Clinique Dramatically Different), because this bar will dry your skin. however, as long as you follow with a moisturizer for your skin type, it's great at helping balance combo skin. the oily parts stay under control and the dry parts have dramatically reduced in redness!

my acne is clearing, too. i've been using for only 5 days, but each day my acne clears a little more and my face looks a little brighter. the thing this bar does best for me is it HELPS GET RID OF ACNE SCARS AND SCABS! i am pretty bad about picking at pimples, which leads to big crusty unattrctive scabs. (ew sorry!) I used this bar and when i woke up on the 3rd morning the scabs were gone. i had 3 large scabs and a few barely-there scars; they are g-o-n-e.

so all in all, this is a wonderful facial cleanser for me. i'm not using on my body right now, because 2 days before my dermo reccomended i buy this i bought a very large dove body wash (weird since i've never used dove for anything but deodorant!). i have bad acne on my back, and there the neautrogena bar is perfect for me. so try this bar out and see what works for you! i am becoming a fan of dove, for sure! <3

PS- i've tried everything. proactiv didn't work, clean & clear was super drying, and neutrogena was good for blackheads but not strong enough and very drying. i've tried biore, olay, everything you can just about. i was skeptical about a soap bar, but i so happy. plus, it's dirt cheap! sorry the review was so long, thanks for reading! =D

EDIT: It began to dry out my skin really badly. Too bad. Luckily I found a great moisturizer and it's all ood. =D Between this and Differin .1% gel, my acne's almost gone!

on 6/30/2010 7:34:00 PM

great simple product! i stopped using bar soaps because i hated the dry feeling they left but this has left my skin in better condition than any body wash/gel ive tried before. i use this as a face cleanser b/c its the only thing tht controls acne & doesnt dry out my skin, ive also used the sensitive skin version

-no dry residue feeling
-helped clear up my skin
-really cheap!!!

on 6/23/2010 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Gentle, great for body (not face). Recommended by my dr as the only thing to use in sensitive areas. A definite HG.

on 6/23/2010 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

This is one of my favourite soaps. It has a very nice light scent to it, does not leave any residue on your skin, does not leave my skin feeling funny or dry (some soaps no matter how much to try to clean it off the residue is still there).

on 6/19/2010 4:44:00 AM

Without fail gives me yeast infections, even if I avoid the pubic area. If you are having this issue, consider switching soaps. No other soaps give me this problem, it's something in the Dove.

on 6/13/2010 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have mature, dry, sensitive skin with occasional hormonal breakouts (yes, still!) and broken capillaries. I need to be very picky when it comes to what I use in skincare, as many products make me either break out, turn red or become really dry. I used the unscented Dove bar for quite some time but I actually like this bar much better.
I use it at night only and it takes all my minerals off without causing any irritation whatsoever. It leaves my skin soft and calm. Somehow, despite the fact that it is a soap, my skin feels less irritated than it does when I use "gentle" cleansers that need to be wiped off. It seems my skin doesn't like any kind of friction, or it will go red. Luckily with this bar I don't need to wipe or scrub or anything, I just lather it on, rinse off, and my face is completely clean. This bar has actually helped clear my skin after a terrible breakout I got from BB creams 1,5 months back.
It seems the perfect combination for me is this lovely bar and Dr. Hauschka's Rose Cream. Having used them together for over a month I've got skin that is in better shape than it has been for years.
What I like about this bar, besides all of the above reasons, is that is easily transportable and it doesn't cost a fortune. Here in Europe the scent of this bar is very light and pleasant.
"Beauty experts" everywhere advise against using a bar soap for your face. Well frankly, I don't see why (if the aim isn't to get us to buy the ridiculously expensive cleansing lotions and potions, which is what I believe it's all about). If your skin tolerates the ingredients of this, you might very well realize that this bar is the best you can give your face. Needless to say, it works excellently for your body as well.

on 6/12/2010 11:25:00 PM

This is the best soap. I must preface this by saying I prefer bar soap to shower gel. That said, I love how soft this bar is. It cleans my skin, leaves it silky with just a hint of a clean scent, and is affordable. I also wash my face ONLY with this as ANYTHING else makes it break out or leaves it too dry. I also use moisturizer on my face...this CAN dry your face out if you don't use moisturizer. It keeps acne at baby, seems to soften my lines, etc.

on 6/11/2010 3:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I always used Dove Beauty Bar on my sensitive body parts, which shall remain un-named! It does a good job, no irritation.

I tried to use this on my face, I liked how it felt after using it (I have oily acne-prone skin). After a few days of using it, however, my face began to break out. I stopped using it and the pimples went away. I tried to give it another shot and it broke me out a few days later. It's a shame because I love how clean my face felt after washing it. It eliminated the need for me to use my Mario Badescu Cleansing Lotion "C", which picks up even the slightest amount of dirt. I used the white beauty bar. I'm tempted to try once again with the sensitive version, or see if I can find a face version of it.

As you can tell, I really wanted this to work for me. Unfortunately, it was a let down for my face. :( I will continue to use it on my unmentionables though. Maybe one day it will miraculously work for me without break outs! Wishful dreaming..

on 6/10/2010 3:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love washing with this stuff. It's the original cheap beauty bar that gives you the frest clean feeling. It's my go to body soap!

on 6/9/2010 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Although I prefer Korean cucumber soap bars, I LOVE the original Dove Beauty Bars! I love the scents, the way it lathers, and just overall the way the soap works on my skin!! Although I personally do not use this soap on my face, I know plenty of people who prefer this over cleansers. I first started using Dove Beauty Bars when I was very young, since my mother used to use it. I just fell in love with the scent. Then when I was about 10 I developed a rash on my skin (by this time I had stopped using Dove products), and when I went to get it checked out my doctor recommended that I use Dove. He said my skin is sensitive and that Dove would work well on my skin. Since then I ONLY use Dove Beauty Bar and my Korean cucumber soap!