April 16, 2014 | 1513 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Smashbox - Photo Finish Light

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2008 12:49:00 PM More reviews by sactonina

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I must say I love this product. I received it in a kit from QVC and am quite pleased. It gives a beautiful matte finish to my skin and yet has a creamy and smooth texture when going on. It also keeps my powder or liquid makeup on quite well during the day. I do find that I have to use quite a bit more, almost like I am applying a light coat of moisturizer, and for this reason, the price for the amount is too high in my opinion, when there are so many competing options on the market----I'm thinking of the new Avon MagiX, for instance--- (hence the four lippies). I probably would not purchase independently from a kit, but I will def. use it up.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2008 10:09:00 AM More reviews by kayethompson

This really works for me. My skin is definitely not perfect and smooth because i have breakouts and the red marks they leave behind. When i use this primer it really does smooth out my skin and my foundation application is much easier. One day I actually forgot to put this on before my foundation and I noticed a huge difference. There was even one day where I was doing my makeup and i thought i ran out -- I kind of started to panic haha. It does help makeup stay all day long. It is pricey but I don't want to be disappointed if I try any other primer. I figure I would just come back to this anyway.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/15/2008 6:57:00 PM More reviews by smhilgy

This is an OK primer, but I really don't see what all the hype is about. I expected to see a noticeable difference when I used it vs. using fondation alone (or tinted mousturizer alone), but I honestly didn't. I did like the way it felt on my skin, very light and smooth, but it certainly doesn't double as a mousturizer, and it's too light to use without one. My combination skin does get dry in places, and is sensitive, too, so maybe this product would work well on oilier skin types. I did appreciate that this product didn't irritate my skin at all. I really wanted to like this, but it's just ok. I won't purchase again, but I may give the regular version (not Light) of Photo Finish a try, because everyone else seems to love it, so maybe I just tried the wrong one.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2008 1:35:00 PM More reviews by darcy123

Despite the low ratings on this product, I decided to try it anyway. I know, I know, ... I thought maybe this one would be different. Nope. I found this to be a merely average primer. It feels nice on your skin and your makeup does good just after you've applied it. That's about it. No real reduction in the look of your pores, no lasting matte effect. I bought the trial sized tube at my local Shopper's Drug Mart and that still set me back $25 CAD for .5oz/15mL. I might finish the tube, probably will not and definitely will not repurchase. This is the second disappointing Smashbox primer I've used. Should have trusted you, MUA ...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by laurentothemax

I had high hopes for this product since I absolutely adore the smashbox healthy fx foundation. But this product gets a resounding "EH!" from me. It only moderately controls the shine on my nose while cakeing up in places that are on the slightly dry side. While it may control oil, i find it does not have the real mattifying effect that i was looking for. This product is probably only really good for those that are truly oily. Not a horrible product, but certainly not worth the $17 dollars that I paid for the trial-sized tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2008 5:27:00 PM More reviews by il0vestarre

I love this product. Ive tried intuits (beauty society) photo finish primer ala kim kardashian and hated it. Did nothing to control the oil, make my makeup last longer...nothing. this on the other hand sucks the oilies away and gives me a beautiful canvas to work with. will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2008 9:11:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

I've used this product daily for the past 3 weeks, and at this point, I would not purchase this product again. Basically, I just needed something to prep my skin for either powder or tinted moisturizer, and help control oil and keep me matte. This is average at the former and terrible at the latter. I have combo skin but b/c it's summer, my T-zone is particularly oily and when using this primer, I need to blot by mid-morning. I haven't had any adverse reactions to using Photo Finish Light, and like I said - it's decent for prepping skin for other face makeup. But there are too many primers out there - with higher ratings on MUA! - for me to repurchase. I bought the tiny sample tube at Sephora - yes, it's pricey considering the size- but I'll probably just use up my tube and move on.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 12:00:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

got the trial size in a swap,ive been dieing to try it. it seemed to work pretty good on the pores around my nose, but my chin still has some issues. i cant expect this stuff to fix every flaw, but all in all i was pleased w/ it and plan on getting more.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 1:49:00 PM More reviews by lovewaxberry

I'm on my second tube of this right now, actually being the first cosmetics product that I've ever bought a second tube after finishing the first one. Early this summer I've tried Shu Uemura foaming base, Model Co, clinique city block, laura mercier primer, NARS primer spf 50, the other smashbox primers(the transparent one which is the original one, the anti-aging one, the pink one, and the purple one) each on one side of my face. After all the comparisons and experiments I went back to smashbox photofinish light, because there were just very obvious difference on the size of my pores, the amount of oil and even the color of the foundation at the end of the day. I even asked my boyfriend, who is definetely have no knowledge on makeup, he said one side of my face is oilier and darker(not too obvious though), which turned out to be the sides where I tried the other primer on.
IF YOU HAVE DRY SKIN, SKIP THIS PRODUCT. My skin gets dry during the winter, this primer makes the foundation flake very badly when my skin is dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2008 8:50:00 AM More reviews by mulan400

before I proceed with my review, let me clarify that I might just be the biggest oil slick on Makeupalley. Even in the dead of winters I have to use products for the oiliest of skins and even a hint of oil based moisturizer breaks me out. Even my dermatologist who must've seen the worst of the worst says I have the oiliest skin he's ever seen. So you can imagine my surprise and pleasure on discovering that a product potent enough to counter my level of oiliness is on the market. yesterday was the first time I used my smashbox light but going from the experience it'll be a lifelong romance (hopefully). Not only did i remain shine free (can't believe I'm using the word shine free for myself) for the entire 3-4 hours that I used it but the look wasn't the matte mask like one that I dread.

On the downside my crow's feet weren't filled out as I'd hoped but mentioning that little detail is almost like cribbing compared to the greater good that it achieved. I love my photo finish lite.