September 17, 2014 | 1266 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2012 3:20:00 AM More reviews by slippingbeauty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I can see why some people are underwhelmed by this. It is expensive for a sponge. However, in my book it does do what it claims to do. I've found that it makes application of makeup easier, faster, and better looking with less work. I have used this sponge with a few different foundations and it gave great results with every one except NARS Sheer Matte (which is a junk foundation, no fault to the sponge.) I got a 2-pack with no cleanser for about $25 from Sephora, so I think I got a pretty good deal. If I had spent $20 on just one sponge I might be singing a different song, but overall I do like the product. I like that it makes layering products much easier, and faster. My only real problem is that I've almost thrown it away like five times. Otherwise, solid product if you use liquid or cream foundations and want to customize your coverage.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/20/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by CelestialBlue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow..I heard about this and thought I would give it a try...it has been weeks and the amount of pink dye coming out is alarming...I don't know why it is pink to begin with..I enjoy organic products for the most part, this seems pretty toxic to use on my skin

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by alissss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

WOWWW! It's really all I can say. Yes it's hyped up and expensive but it really works! I was completely surprised at what this little thing can do. I used it with Revlon age defying, Revlon color stay and Lancome teint idole so far. It really gives that luminous, airbrushed look. I did a double take every time I saw myself in the mirror. When my husband saw me the first time I used this, he said wow, your make up looks glowing. He never comments on my makeup and I wasn't wearing anything new/different.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 7:55:00 AM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I think how much you like this might depend on the products you are using with the BB. This works very well with my L'oreal True Match foundation. True Match is a thin formula, and doesn't work very well with a brush. The tapping and rolling actions used with the BB and the True Match created a beautiful finish.
When it comes to using my MUFE HD, I prefer using a brush. I found the HD difficult to blend when out when using the BB. It looked a bit cakey.
edit: do yourself a favor and watch a few youtube videos on application. I watched a few tutorials and realized I wasn't reallly using this correctly. When I did use it the right way, I really liked it and the finish it gave me. I'm upping this to 4 lippies.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/29/2012 8:14:00 AM More reviews by DaniellexBx

To apply foundation i would rate this low but for finishing and blending makeup i would rate this highly, great for dry skin!!
I like this product but not for applying foundation to the whole face as i feel the sponge absorbs to much product even when damp. If you wanted to use double the amount of foundation then it could give the same finish as a brush but why bother?. I apply my foundation with a foundation brush and bounce the BB over to give a dewy finish, i do the same with my concealer too and the finish is great! i would repurchase for this purpose only.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2012 3:04:00 AM More reviews by vidz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! Seriously, I have combination, flaky, sensitive, dry, patchy, oily T-zone, old-acne scarred skin. Lovely, no? It's a HG product for me. I use it apply my foundation (of course), blush, bronzer, concealer AND powder. Seamless. Great coverage.

Works great for liquid, cream, gel foundations. However, in order not to waste it, apply it directly on your face then bounce around the BB.
I clean mine by soaking it in Cetaphil for a few minutes or baby shampoo if it needs deeper cleansing.

The great thing with the BB is, after you're done with your face, remember to get your eyelids, ears and jawline and neck.

Secret: Use a damp (almost dry) BB to apply your MSF Natural. It sets your makeup for hours. I live in Singapore and I have sweaty face and an oily T-Zone and my make up still holds up after hours of dancing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2012 12:55:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

This review is going to do double duty as I am not only reviewing the BB, but also comparing/reviewing it to the SoHo Beauty dupe that a lot of folks have been talking about.

I finally bit the dust and purchased 3 BeautyBlenders. I also went ahead and purchased the London SoHo dupe at Walgreens for under $6 (on sale as it's d/c) In my pic, the SoHo is on the left and has been used about 4 times. In the middle is my BB that I've been using for about a month. On the right is my brand new/never used BB.

The SoHo is denser and while soft, is not as soft as the BB (altho it is softer than Sonia Kashuk's sponge). It performs about the same as the BB - takes a few more stipples to get my liquid foundation blended in as nicely as the BB. I actually did the left side of my face w/ the SoHo and the right w/ the BB = 10 more bounces w/ the SoHo to get that side of my face to look like the BB side, which you know from other glowing reviews is an airbrushed look. :)

The SoHo is already showing a few tiny tears after 4 uses. The BB started showing the same little tears after my 4th use too - WHAT IS UP W/ THAT??? For the amount of $ BB is charging, these sponges SHOULD NOT be showing such signs of wear/tear after only 4 uses (and yes, I wash gently w/ my DIY cleanser and I do not have long nails) I deducted 1 lippie for the crappy construction.

Of interest is that I have found once I have used the BB, it never goes back to its original size. Its hard to tell from my pic, the the used BB is definitely fatter and taller than the BN BB.

I got pink coloring discharge thru the first 5 washings of the BB. (I have not yet washed the Soho). The BB is permanently discolored by my foundation no matter how much washing I do = kinda annoying.

Both sponges give my skin an almost flawless, kinda dewy finish. If too dewy = lightly dust w/ powder. I use the BB and the SoHo for both my powder and liquid foundations = love that versatility. I have temporarily retired my foundation brushes as my becoming-slightly-drier-skin seems to like this application method more currently.

Bottom line - I was all set to recommend getting the SoHo over the BB, but since the SoHo is d/c...I guess until someone else comes up w/ another decent dupe, I will stick to my BB in spite of the aforementioned drawbacks because, frankly the pros definitely outweigh the cons. :)

BTW - SoHo made a 2nd version of the sponge - it was the exact softness/denseness of the BB, but shaped like a football = kinda useless shape IMO. It too is d/c.

UPDATE 05-29-12 - so, I was recently watching the House series finale in which the 1st hour was a tribute/backstage access to the cast/crew and the 2nd hour was actually the final episode. During the 1st hour, whilest interviewing one of the show's make-up artists, (and I can't recall which actor she was working on during the short interview), I did note that she was using a BB sponge to apply the foundation - SWEET!

For a bigger pic of the 3 sponges side by side, please see my review for the SOHO sponge - for some reason, I can't get that bigger pic to work for my BB review...sorry.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2012 8:21:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

I have to admit that I am a creature of habit. I am running out of the cleanser, so for a while, I have actually been contemplating purchasing more. But then I thought, why, do I even like the beautyblender? And I came to the shocking realization that I donít. Hereís why:
1.I donít like to have to wet them. You really have to do this at the bathroom sink to evenly distribute the water, and I donít do my makeup in the bathroom;
2.I find that they soak up too much product;
3.I find it disconcerting that after several years of use, washing every 2-3 days, the water still turns pink when I wash them. I also somehow tore one of them. Not sure how since I donít have long nails;
4.I find it obnoxious that the cleanser is the only thing that cleans them. And it doesnít even work that wellóyou have to find the spots of foundation on them and then blob the cleanser on the spot and rub it--- too time-consuming and the cleanser is expensive;
5.Most importantly, I donít like how my makeup looks when I use them. It looks too watered down and unpolished, almost like I didnít bother putting on my makeup. This happens regardless of whether I squeeze the water out really well.
So when my cleanser runs out, I will be retiring my beautyblender.

16 out of 20 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by Sarajava

Best makeup sponge I ever used. Its a lot softer and doesnt absorb as much product as a typical makeup sponge. When its wet it is spingy and smooth which feels really nice against skin. It makes applying your liquid or cream foundation easy, It never leaves streaks, and the shape is great for different areas on the face. Takes me less time than with a brush, and I find I clean it more often than brushes because I dont have to wait for it to dry, so its more hygienic than makeup brushes for me. I also think the moisture in the sponge helps make foundation look more natural on skin, it gives a finish that I just cant get with a brush.
It is way more expensive than normal makeup sponges, however it is close to what I would spend on a foundation brushes anyways.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by olive02

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know what your thinking, over $20 for a sponge? I just received the beautyblender with the blendercleanser in the mail today, and I supper excited to try it out! I wasn't disappointed at all. I was surprised how well and evenly it blended my foundation. I like how there's a fat part of the blender to get your cheeks and forehead, and the skinny top part to get in creases like your nose and under your eyes. My foundation is the part which takes the longest I find, and with this tool it cuts it in half! - LOVE it.