December 19, 2014 | 1097 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - beautyblender - the sponge

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by BriddaBella

I've never used sponges before but after all the hype I gave in bought a double pack of the Beautyblender. You use this sponge either just like that or by soaking it into water and squeezing out the excess. The damp sponge will grow and become fluffy for an easy and even application. The sponge gives a finish that is similar if not the same as with the MAC 187.

The downside of this product is that it soaks up the liquid foundation and I end up using a lot more foundation than I would with a brush. The sponge is also very hard to clean and does not last as long as brushes.

If you are interested in using the sponge you might want to check out a cheaper alternative which is the Cosmopolitan Blend Perfection Sponge.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/28/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by iheartowls55

For almost as long as I've been wearing makeup, I've always used my fingers too apply foundation. It's just worked best for me. I've found that brushes tend too give me a lighter coverage than I'm used to, and I feel like I have so much more control if I used my own hands. Sponges are just expensive to constantly re-purchase, and I feel they use up too much valuable product. This tool, though, is the best of both worlds. I truly feel like I have control over how much product goes where, and it blends seamlessly. It's like nothing I've ever used before. The $20 price may seem expensive for a beauty tool, but it's so worth it, especially if you ignore the gimmick-y cleanser that comes with it. That makes it costlier. The beauty blender does amazing things with almost any foundation I've tried, and the shape lets you fit it into tight spaces like under your eyes and around the nose. I'm very, very happy with this, and it's totally revolutionized the way I apply my makeup. Give it a try if you're on the fence. I think it's way worth the hype.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2013 6:33:00 AM More reviews by Parisa909

I resisted the hype of buying the Beautyblender for years mostly because of the high price but I was lucky to receive the duo pack for Christmas. All I can say is, it's not overrated and is a fantastic little sponge for applying foundation, pressed and loose powder. The flawless, seamless finish is one I've never quite managed to get with a brush, and I've owned several including; the Sigma F80, F82, F84, MAC 187, Everyday Minerals Flat Top Kabuki and the Real Techniques Buffing and Stippling brushes. I just adore how flawless and buffed in it makes heavy liquid and cream foundations look on my skin. The pointed tip works well under the eyes for precise concealer application or blending too. I also own the Cosmopolitan 'Blend Perfection' sponge and it's a very worthy dupe but the Beautyblender reigns supreme for me.

EDIT - January 2014 - after a few months of using the Cosmopolitan 'Blend Perfection' sponge, I've gone back to using the Beautyblender and will not be using any other sponge, it is honestly in a league of it's own. I've actually started to use it to apply my Banana Powder and it works so well, it's such a fabulous multi-tasking sponge!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by mikmak

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! I finally found the best thing to put on my bare minerals and my other makeup as well! I have been using bare minerals for at least 15 years (I am 59) and finally a way to put it on that eliminates fall-out and minerals wasted all over the sink. The first time I put it on I only did my foundation and I was stunned at the smooth air-brushed look. This morning I tried it to put on my eyeshadow, and even though I wear a dark color in my crease (soul sister) it still came out terrific. I also used it today to put on a powdered blush, a powdered bronzer, and concealer. I bought the pack with 2 and the cleanser. Today I ended up using both of them, as I used the pointy end of one for my concealer around my nose and eyes, and the other one I used the pointy end for my bare minerals shadow. What a joy to clean with the cleanser. Amazing that after all these years of using makeup I found a new tool. I am so pleased. Thanks to all of you, or without reading the reviews, I never would have even heard of it. Try using it for your mineral makeup! Less waste and a beautiful look.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2013 10:56:00 AM More reviews by Kitooo

For large areas of my face like my cheeks and forehead I can see that the affect is pretty smooth but my use of this sponge is limited. I find it really hard to get around the contours of the face like the nose, chin and eyes. The next problem is the application is very sheer and I use dermablend! So for areas where I need heavier coverage for my rosacea I go back to a brush. I hate the way it uses up double the amount of product for such sheer application. My favorite use of this product is to blend the outer edges of the face where I want very sheer application anyway and then use brushes for the intimate parts in the center of the face.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2013 10:46:00 PM More reviews by AlPi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I finally caved in to buy this product. For you girls in Canada don't buy it from Sephora because the price compared to sites online is insane! I got mine off cherrycuture.com. It's site is great! I also love NYX products so I got a bunch of those plus my beauty blender for much cheaper than in Canada. Overall this is for sheer coverage so I wouldn't recommend this to those who like or need full coverage. However for those looking for a sheer to light medium natural coverage I'd most definitely recommend this! Happy shopping.

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2012 3:20:00 PM More reviews by lovetoshop31

I buy this sponge over and over again.. it is well worth the $20.00.. I have bought knockoffs of the Beauty Blender, even the sephora version and it just doesn't compare. This is great for patting, blending, esp. around crease areas and evening out makeup/concealer/foundation. If you are on the fence.. buy it! One of my favorite tools!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2012 2:19:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

I resisted buying this for years because I thought it was gimmicky, but after I caved and bought a pack of two BB, I have no regrets! When used damp, the BB sponge gives almost all my foundations that perfect, skin-like finish without making it cakey, too thin or too thick. I like applying my foundation in dots all over my face first and then using a damp BB to stipple it out. Even matte foundations like MUFE Mat Velvet and Revlon Colorstay look more natural when applied this way. Honestly, the Beauty Blender makes all my foundation brushes and my other sponges obsolete. (I threw about half my brushes after buying this sponge. I wish I found it sooner so I didn't have to waste so much money on brushes!)

Even if you're a skeptic about this product like I was, I recommend giving it a try. Its density and shape makes it superior to applying foundation, even though I'm not sure how it does such a thing. The round part of the "egg" shape can be used to stipple foundation over large areas of your face, while the pointier end is helpful for wrapping around the corners of your nose.

EDIT: You don't need to buy the actual BB cleanser. I just use my foaming makeup remover to clean my BB, although I've heard of people just using Dove soap or something similar to do it. The pink version WILL bleed (which is normal) and both the pink and white versions will stain, so there's no way around it.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2012 1:51:00 PM More reviews by EyeshadowArtist

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

To anyone looking at my lippies and wondering "Why so low?" I should add that this sponge is ONLY GOOD FOR SHEER COVERAGE.

To my fellow ladies who need heavy coverage for mild rosacea (like me) or whatever, this will not do it. I should have known - anything that you have to dampen, unless it's bone dry by the time you apply, will sheer your makeup.

I really want to give it one lippie, but I don't want to seem to negative, because this is great for sheer application!

Also - I hated the packaging, and I feel like applying took longer than with my real techniques face brush.

Oh - and I read so many reviews saying how they did it, I followed every step extra carefully, and I watched tutorials. I did it correctly, it just isn't for me.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2012 11:48:00 PM More reviews by iEndlessly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

After seeing the crazy raves everywhere on blogs and Sephora online, I gave in to purchasing this product. It isn't cheap, I bought two sponges and the cleanser for 40$ on the Sephora website. Needless to say, I had very high expectations.

I REALLY REALLY like this sponge applicator. The shape is great for applying to small corners around your face due to the small tip and circular sides. The sponge may look small when it is dry, smaller than the palm of my hand, but after running it under water it expanded to around double of its size. This applicator only works with the "stippling technique" and it does give you this nice HD finish. Even my friends were asking if I did something different with my makeup because of how good the foundation looked. ;)

The down side to this in terms of foundation application is that like most sponges, it absorbs a TON of the product. I would suggest dabbing the make up on your face with your fingers then blending (in this case "stippling") the foundation out. Saves some product for the future right?

I didn't particular enjoy the plastic "stand" thing to hold the sponge, I found that using it as recommended actually damaged my sponge, so instead I would just place it on top rather than in the plastic teeth things to hold it up.

This sponge is obviously reusable, I have heard that many people skipped the cleaner and just used baby shampoo to clean it. I however really like the cleanser. It has maintained my sponge in tip top shape and the color. It also has a great formula removing with no problem the foundation absorbed by the sponge.

A great purchase over all, no regrets here.