September 22, 2014 | 1899 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - NAKED Basics

rated 4 of 5 on 12/14/2012 10:59:00 AM More reviews by Corrinne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Love, love, love. The colors are all fabulous and to the reviewers who don't like that the colors are so light--that's what I love about them. I am uber-pale and most colors are way too dark for me.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 9:27:00 PM More reviews by sweetfart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was one of those haters who criticized UD for all those damn shimmery colors in the 1&2 palettes. I remembered thinking if UD would make both those palettes with those EXACT same shades in all MATTE, I would be a fan. So when I heard about the UD Naked Basics palette in MATTE shades, I almost crapped my pants with excitement. I ordered it from UD.com.

But not so fast.

If you haven't noticed, there are only 6 colors. The palette is about the length of a pack of cigarettes and just a little thicker than a pencil, so it's very travel-friendly. The packaging has that same soft but terribly unhygenic rubbery feel like Nars's blushes. This is almost half the price of the other Naked palettes and it is supposed to be BASICS which I don't necessarily have a problem with. But look closer at the colors. Crave is your standard black, okay check (I think everyone should always have one black shadow in their MU stash). Naked 2 is a blending shade for the crease, okay got it. Venus is semi-matte, which is the one highlight shade - smart idea to include that, UD. So far so good.

Now, Foxy, Walk of Shame, and Faint. Here's where Urban Decay effed up. Foxy and Walk of Shame are two off white shades, one with a pink tone and the other with a yellow tone. I personally never use matte light shades like this but why does the palette need to have two? They don't even show up on most skin tones. I guess they serve as a blending color, but I still don't think this palette needed TWO. Then there's Faint. I was kinda investing a lot of hope in Faint, as I knew it was the darkest brown shade. I do a daily cut crease on my hooded eyes everyday, and I need a brown that is dark enough for my NC25-30 complexion. Well, Faint just doesn't quite cut it (no pun intended). It's only two shades or so darker than MAC Wedge. It's like a puny, weak brown. Actually, I would use Faint as the blending shade for a darker brown.

I was kinda hoping this would be the only set of shadows I needed. But unfortunately, I won't be using this as it makes me angry that there are TWO off white shades (once again, who uses these shades?!). I thought the stars of the Naked palettes were the unique array of browns and taupes, so where are they in this palette? If UD had replaced either Walk of Shame or Foxy with a dark, espresso brown shade, then this would be a complete palette for me.

But nice try, Urban Decay. Come back when you guys start pumping out more matte palettes with loads of beautiful matte taupes & browns, and then we'll talk.

60 out of 70 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2012 8:52:00 PM More reviews by StinaBaby21

I got this in the mail recently. When I opened the palette, I was a bit disappointed because the colors aren't "super original" but the convenience of having all the colors in one convenient package was well worth looking past the disappointment. I can use this palette to create various looks, from simple daytime to night. I prefer to use it in conjunction with my other Naked palettes. I find that doing so, gives me more pizzazz. I find that with this palette in my purse I can go from office to night out with the girls with little prepping.

I wish the palette came with a brush. But I'm sure that I can find a mini brush set somewhere to keep in my bag (if anyone knows where I can find one, PLEASE let me know).

The colors can be a bit cool for some skin tones. On darker skin I can see this coming off a bit ashy. For darker women I think this would be a great accompaniment for them to accent what they have.

The colors blend well (can you expect less from this brand??) they're as buttery as any other shadow from the line. But they're still sooo powdery. I cringe when I tap my brushes and see all the excess flying off. And another thing I love is the mirror! It covers the whole upper portion of the palette. Which makes this a Godsend!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2012 2:09:00 AM More reviews by xlitlbitx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is new for Urban Decay. I received an e-mail tellig me of there new Matte eyeshadow palette. So I ordered it since I have been lookig for Matte eyeshadows for awhile and I already have the Too Faced Matte palette and like if also. This pallette is about half the size of the other 2 Naked palettes they currently have. It has 6 shades of browns from a real light ecru to a deep black/brown. There is though 1 shiney shadow which is a light color. These colors are great and when applied they look so nice and soft not all sparkly . They are great if you want a more soft and natural look. The price for this palette is only $28.00. Sorry no pic but you can go to their website and take a look at it. The case has a rubbery type texture and it snaps shut. Great also for traveling or carrying it in your purse.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2012 11:53:00 PM More reviews by SFlowers89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh. My. Gawd.

I am in love with this chic little palette. It's got all the colors to give me a professional daytime look and is just small enough for me to slip into my purse and carry it with me so I can build up the color for a night out after work! As with all Urban Decay shadows, each color is buttery soft and super pigmented. It's just so PERFECT!

Let's walk through each color, from left to right:

1. Crave (the darkest matte black). Perfect as a liner, to build up color into the crease, as a base for a duo chrome....just plain perfect.

2. Faint. This matte brown is darker on the eye than it appears in the pan. I really like it, though. It's a nice color to run through the socket and into the outside corner to give your eyes some depth while still looking natural enough to wear for work.

3. Naked 2. Can't have a naked palette without a naked. :) I like it. It works well as a base color to build other colors upon. I brush it eyelid to brow before any other color just to even out any veins/discoloration. It works well.

4. W.O.S. This color has a nice pinky undertone. Brighter than Naked2, it's great for running right above the socket, just to pull the color out and blend. It's quite nice.

5. Foxy. This is definitely a much for yellowy highlighter shade. I honestly haven't figured out what I can do with this one quite yet (hey I've only had the palette for 3 days!), but I've swatched it and it is quite a lovely, buttery color.

6. Venus. Lovely, semi-matte highlighter. It's not super shimmery, but has just enough to brighten your face without looking cheap. I love using a fan brush to sweep it on the top of my cheeks and on my brown bone. It's quite natural and flattering.

Overall, this is an incredible palette for the money. Quality is unbeatable. Love.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 5:55:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

While I love Urban Decay shadows, a majority of their shadows are more appropriate for wearing to nightclubs than in real life. Yes, this includes both Naked palettes. So I was intrigued that they finally clubbed (no pun intended) together a matte palette called Naked Basics.

There are 6 shadows in there, which was disappointing given their larger Naked palettes. On the other hand, only 6 shadows means it's a small, portable palette that can easily travel. Only two repeated shadows, which is pretty good for them. The shadow quality is excellent as usual: highly pigmented with smooth application. Since there's no glitter or sparkle, there's much less fallout than usual, which is VERY nice.

Venus: vanilla satin, and the only shade that isn't matte. Chalky, but I'm glad they didn't go for a matte white as that would have been too chalky. I'm also glad they didn't fall into their "Disco Ball" trap and add glitter.

Foxy: a repeat from one of the other Naked palettes. Yellowish and chalky on my skin, but it may work on lighter skin tones. Pass.

Walk of Shame: a repeat from the Build-Your-Own-Palette. A creamy neutral, a little chalky but not bad.

Naked 2: like Naked, but a touch lighter. This one is the best of them all: not too dark, not too light, not chalky or ashy at all. It looks fantastic on my skin tone.

Faint: hot chocolate brown. Good for the crease, or all over the lid on a bolder day.

Crave: dark brown-black. Too dark for my skin tone to use as a shadow, but it has potential as a liner. It could also work for a smoky eye.

Overall, not bad.