September 17, 2014 | 1931 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2003 5:38:00 AM More reviews by atsui

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Works just as well as my MAC Blot powder. I'm so oily that I still touch it up, and sometimes even do a full face makeup removal and touch up. Packaging isn't too great---it's so cheap, you could snap the mirror off the pan, and keeping/using this sponge (eggg) is unhygenic, so I just apply with a powder brush. Great deal. I'm glad you can buy it at Shopper's Drugmart for $2.99. UPDATE: go for the loose powder; it's even better.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2003 11:50:00 AM More reviews by Lipglossdoll

I was at my local Wallmart, had to pick one up, for only about $2.50 Canadian, you can't go wrong! Had heard many great reviews on the board about this product, so I had to give into my lemming! I am a pale PPP, and the translucent works for me. Long-lasting, keeps my t-zone matte. Packaging is awful, powder puff that comes with it is terrible too, but for the price this is an excellent pressed powder. Thanks girls for the recs on this product! I usually stay away from drugstore brands for my foundations/powders, ect., but this product proved me wrong!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2003 11:05:00 PM More reviews by PeggyA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

As a rule I tend to stay away from drugstore brands when it comes to foundations and powders but after reading the great reviews for this product here at MUA I just had to give this a chance. You guys are right - this is an excellent translucent powder and the price just can't be beat. The compact it comes in is ugly but I don't care -I will definitely buy this again if I ever run out and now I have to give New York loose powder a try.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2003 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Kiwikava

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Boy, it sounds like we've been using a different product because I tried this and HATE it!!!!!
I was excited when I first bought this last week because it was only $1.99 and it applied like a dream--so smooth and soft!!!! (And heck, after reading 20+ positive reviews, how could I not try it?)

Anyway, as the day progressed, I was horrified to see HUGE cystic acne bumps on my left and right cheeks, on my nose, on my chin, and the middle of my forehead!!!!! I checked the ingredients and noticed that it contains rice, which causes breakouts, since it attracts bacteria to the face.

I threw this away immediately, and as of this day I'm still trying to make these ugly bumps go away!

Be careful with this stuff! I'm still on the search for the perfect oil-control pressed powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2003 5:32:00 PM More reviews by Luckychick1515

After reading these reviews i wanted to try it. All i can say is i couldn't agree more, I LUV this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2003 11:54:00 PM More reviews by jaed

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HUGE, Gigantic RAVE!!!!!
I have finally found the product of my dreams. Had I knew that NYC was so wonderful we would have gotten married along time ago. (LOL) I am a virgin no more (LOL) This is the best powder ever and the price is dirt cheap. I was considering purchasing MAC's Blot or pressed or loose powder but not anymore. I have found my HOLY GRAIL. After I put this on I was like DAMMMM (excuse the langauge) I look good. Flawless, even skin tone and glowing. I couldn't believe it. Listen, if you don't have it .....please run, no I mean fly out to your nearest KMART, Target or Walgreens and purchase this NOW!!!!!! Everytime I pass a mirror I'm like WOW!!! I can't wait until tomorow when I get to put it on again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2003 10:27:00 PM More reviews by forensics96

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Another new product I have found and LOVE thanks to MUA!! After reading some of the rave reviews on the msg boards about this little wonder- I had to try it out! I got mine for only $1.99 at Eckerd.

It's a Translucent powder, so it can be used for any skin tone-although I'm so pale, it looks like a good match anyway! :) (I have a pretty oily tzone/dry combo skin btw too). The powder is soft feeling -not chalky, like you'd expect something this cheap to be, and though it started to go on a little white on my skin, as I blended it in-it just blended perfectly on my skin! No caking either- completely undetectable. I tested this out right after I bought it by putting it right on before I went to play an intense squash game-worked up a serious sweat, but I had no shine whatsoever after the game!! :) YAE!! Since then I have been using it everyday, and it lasts all day-I typically still have to do a minor touch up on my nose in the middle of the day- but the shine even then is pretty minimal! This really does control oil & shine really well!! It's SO MUCH BETTER than my old pressed powder- Clinque's stay-matte sheer pressed oil free powder. Using the clinique pressed powder, I had still *a lot* more shine by the middle of the day, *and* the clinique one also had the bad habit of turning darker & orangey by the end of the day- the NYC powder doesn't turn orange on me! My face looks nice & light all day!! This stuff is GREAT!!! Dirt Cheap and works better than some of the high end stuff!! This has definitely has replaced my clinique powder!!

That said- the powder itself is beyond fabulous, but as other reviewers have mentioned- the compact it comes in is so fugly!! The cheap plastic is really nasty- x0x0rebeccax0x0 said it right- this is the ultimate in CRAPPY packaging! LOL :) And the cheapie sponge that comes with it is a joke too- I wouldn't use it if you paid me to! ;) I guess the NYC ppl think it's at least a nice gesture to provide one- the whole "it's the thought that counts" theory. I just laughed and threw the sponge away immediately. LOL! But fear not! If you can't stand the cheap compact- it can be transferred to other "prettier" empty compacts easily! Just bake it like as if it was e/s! 350 degrees in the oven for 2 minutes. I put my pan of NYC powder into an old empty clinique compact (I pried the empty metal tin part out 1st from the clinique one) and it was a perfect fit!!!

For the DIRT CHEAP price, FAB oil & shine control, and the fact that it does fit into other nicer compacts- you can't pass this up!! GO BUY SOME NOW!!!!!! :) continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2003 7:49:00 PM More reviews by irishgirl71

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had to have this after all of the raves..I was using MAC blot in Light which made me look like a ghost if I put too much on..I bought this one in Translucent and it's great! PROS: tackles oil, soft texture, and looks to refine pores somewhat..CONS: The powder puff, cheapie plastic packaging..For $1.79, I can't complain too much..I will just transfer this one over into a MAC compact..A Keeper!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2003 7:16:00 PM More reviews by blkwdow666

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this pressed powder ($2 w/tax!)some months ago after reading that it was an inexpensive alternative to MAC Blot, and ladies, it truly does rock! I'm an NC41 and the Translucent truly is--no chalkiness or caking when touched up during the day. Yes, the compact isn't pretty and the sponge is a joke, but an under-control T-zone is more impressive than a fancy compact in my book.
EDIT:I pried this out of the compact and put it in an old Jane pressed powder compact-fit perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2003 5:06:00 PM More reviews by Laura78

Love, love, love this powder! Gives me nice, light coverage and controls my oilies just as good as any other powder I've tried. The color is perfect and you can't beat the price. I don't care about the packaging, everyone knows I like a bargain. The only concern is the lid breaking right off, but then I'll just fix it with some duct tape! It's the same color as the compact, who'd be able to tell?!