Castor Oil

4.4

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil.

on 1/28/2009 3:18:00 PM

While looking for castor oil in my CVS I stumbled upon a nice gelsort of cream in the ethnic hair section made by Hollywood Beauty- its just called Castor Oil. Comes in a big jar and I paid 3.99. Smells so nice because it has almond oil in it. Much more pleasant than plain old castor oil, so after checking with the pharmacist I decided to give it a try. I do see some eyebrow growth where before I had scant growth- just due to aging hormone issues probably. Compared to the great big pricetags on the eyebrow regrowth specialty products, these simple alternatives are definitely worth a try.

on 1/28/2009 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

johnsod8, [she has since removed her review stating her doctor said this product may cause eye injury or blindness]

your practitioner is clueless about castor oil and would probably say the same thing about many products s/he does not prescribe. Or maybe your practitioner is an optometrist trying to play a real doctor?

S/he is clearly confusing pure castor oil with castor oil seed (bean) which serves as source of both castor oil and ricin.
Sap from the seeds may cause temporary blindness. Castor oil, on the other hand, is safe and effective for its common use purposes.

Castor oil and its emulsions are used in topical eye treatments to treat common and not-so-common eye conditions.

There are many published articles on PubMed about ophthalmologic studies with castor oil as one of the ingredients. Maybe your practitioner should read up.

********************

I have been using organic cold-pressed castor oil from Whole Foods on my eyebrows and eyelashes on sort of when-I-remember basis for about 2 weeks now (every 2-3 nights on average) and noticed slightly darker, definitely shinier & more abundant eyebrows. A couple of thinner spots I always had to fill in with a brow pencil are now gone. My eyelashes look healthier and slightly longer. No allergy/redness or visual changes.

continued >>

on 1/22/2009 1:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I can't wear eyeliner because I have SUCH oily lids, so I depend on a good mascara and curling my eyelashes to make my eyes stand out. I decided to purchase this after reading the reviews on MUA and it was like two dollars at the grocery store so I figured why not? THIS STUFF IS AMAZING! I had a bad eyebrow wax job recently and I was worried because the hair at the end of my eyebrow was not growing back, and it has been over a month! I put this on every night on that spot and I can see the hairs growing now. Maybe this is just by chance, but for my eyelashes, I have definitely grown new eyelashes along my bottom lash line as well as my top lash line. (So much so that I have eyelashes growing in the inside corner of my eyes that I had to pull out..it hurts but I don't mind cause the rest of my eyelashes look great!) I have no idea how this stuff works but it's great.

Some notes for first time users:
- You can find this in the laxative section of any drugstore or grocery store. If you can find an organic or cold-pressed version, that's great, but the kind that says "laxative" on the front is fine too
- A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY. especially on the eyelashes. If you're going to put this on your eyelashes..make sure you do it right before you go to sleep because if it gets in your eyes, it's impossible to open them up until the next morning (it burns and blurs your vision..duh it IS an oil). Oh and definitely take out your contacts if you wear them before you use this.
- Don't try putting it on the actual hair on your head..I tried this and it was such a bad idea because it was so messy LOL. I would totally suggest trying a hair product that incorporates castor oil (you can find some in the 'ethnic hair' section of a drug store)
- Buy one of those dollar store travel-sized shampoo things to store this in. a little at a time (just enough to dip a Q-tip or a clean mascara wand).The bottle will probably last you a life time but it's sooo messy if you dip right into it. Plus, you could contaminate it.

on 1/21/2009 8:45:00 PM

To the reviewer below me..Rather than just saying something shouldn't be done, you should have put WHY it shouldn't be done.

I personally LOVE this stuff! I just bought it a week ago. I have been putting it on my face every day as a cleanser mixed with jojoba oil,grapeseed oil or olive oil. (whichever I feel like.) It rub it in for a minute or 2 then got watch tv or get on the computer for a little while. Maybe about 15-30 mins..I forget about it a bit. Then I go back to the bathroom and put a hot washcloth over my face for about 10 seconds and about 5 times. (I keep having to run the cloth under hot water to re-heat it) Then I rub off (not wash off) the remainder. There is still a little left on my face but it absorbs nicely. It doesn't look oily on my face, in fact it looks a bit mattified! My face also looks so clear with no redness like what usually happens after I wash my face with traditional cleanser. The redness after regular cleansing is temporary but not attractive.

I also use it on my eyelashes every night and a bit during the day since I don't have a job and I have the luxury to do that. Hopefully it'll help with my lash growth! I'll update later with my results on that as I have only been doing it for about a week.

I bought it in a little blue bottle from Food Lion for about 2 something? I forgot! I hope to find some of the cold pressed eventually that people say is the best.

edit: after contacting the reviewer below, she decided to put her reasoning into her review.

on 1/16/2009 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

To all you over-pluckers! Castor oil works like magic. While it takes a very long time to see any visible results, it is definitely worth the wait when you start to see your eyebrow hair grow back in places that were bold for ages, It's amazing! I wish the process of growing back my eyebrows was faster, but I'm happy when I see just one little hair start to grow, and then another and another.

P.S. I put the castor oil on my eyebrows every night before I go to bed and I pretty much can't avoid it getting onto my eyelids at some point, so when I open my eyes after waking up, they get irritated and sting like hell. I can't imagine how people can put castor oil on their eyelashes because it irritates the eyes so much.

Anyway...give it a try and be patient!!!

on 1/11/2009 6:37:00 PM

i got my Castor oil today at CVS for $1.49 but the package is different then this post.. it does said for constipation use only, but i consulted with the pharmacists ... they conculed is safe to use cuz castor oil is 100% natural and contain no chemical ... so give it a try.. they also suggest an alternative-almond oil.. But any way wish me luck... i will update soon for any change(s) : )

on 1/5/2009 1:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Pros:

1. Excellent for hair growth, eyelashes and eyebrows..Makes it thick and strong in a matter of weeks.

2. Great for Oil cleansing method. I personally feel castor oil is a must in OCM. Adding other oils depends on how the specific skin reacts. Some are comfortable to jojoba, olive, avocado, safflower.

3. Good internal lubricant, dont try this regularly without knowing the consequences :-)

4. Surely found in health food stores..whole foods, natures market to name a few.

Cons:

1. Smell is not appealing to me though i find Homehealth brand to be very pleasant..should say "almost" odorless.

2. a little sticky to get a nice flow on skin.a little gentle pressure is needed to spread it out. So need to be careful about overstretching the skin.

3. I couldnt find it in local rite aid or fred meyer where i can shop regularly..may be i just missed it on the shelves.

Brand used : Homehealth

on 12/25/2008 11:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I was skeptical that this would do anything for brow or lash growth, but since I'm up to trying anything, I started applying castor oil to my lashes and eyebrows every night before bed. It's been a few weeks, and I am already amazed at the difference. My brows are thicker and darker (which is good, as I used to over-pluck), and my eyelashes are definitely wayyy longer than they used to be. When I curl them and appy mascara, they literally reach up and touch my browbone. I'm amazed!

on 12/13/2008 8:33:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Castor oil works amazingly well for eyelash growth. I have long lashes as it is but I figured, why not go the extra mile and see if I can make them even longer? So, I started using Castor oil every night before falling asleep, and I noticed a definite difference of how long they were before to how long they are now. It really is a miracle product and I would recommend it to anybody who wants longer lashes. Itís a cheap alternative to any lash growth formula and it works just as well if not better. So why not give it a try?

on 11/30/2008 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

To the reviewer below - you shouldn't use it for more than 1 week internally ie. as a laxative (as with any laxative). But externally you can use it as often as you'd like.

The type you have purchased is the one that most people use (cheaper drugstore version) - however, health food stores will also sell organic, cold-pressed castor oil for at least double the price. I've used both and didn't notice a difference in quality .... but I just feel better buying the cold-pressed one, so will continue to do that for now.

Great for scalp and eyelashes. I'm just starting to try the OCM .. can't comment yet, as I've only done it a few days - my face is looking horrible thus far with breakouts, but I'm going to be patient with it !

For body moisturizer , I prefer vegetable glycerin to this.

Popular Brows Products