August 1, 2014 | 1864 users online

Powder - MAC - Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2003 1:58:00 PM More reviews by coconut103

Whoa, I am IMPRESSED!
I normally can't wear powder-based foundation because it usually makes my skin look dry and flaky... but I like compact foundations over liquid, so I usually stick to my Cover Girl Aquasmooth. However, I am beginning to think Aquasmooth is giving me a tad too much coverage (which may be breaking out my skin), so I'm going to put it away for the rest of the summer. I've heard raves about Studio Fix (from co-workers, MUA P'ville, etc.) so I gave it a try... and I love it! MAC has a fabulous variety colour-wise, so it was easy to find a perfect match (which was "C3"). I also love that it is oil-free, too. Studio Fix gives a more natural coverage than my Aquasmooth, and although it doesn't cover blemishes that well, it does tone them down and make them less-noticeable, without that godawful I'm-trying-to-cover-this-zit-but-it-looks-like-cake-finish. Best of all it looks perfect in natural sun/daylight. So far it hasn't broken me out, but I haven't been using it that long, so we'll see. My one complaint, I think it is a little too drying to be used as a base on my eyes, because when I put it on my lids they got a little tight feeling. Overall, I am generally very pleased for MAC Studio Fix and will repurchase if I continue to see these great results. continued >>

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2003 3:28:00 AM More reviews by ldylushess

I usually love MAC products but this was kind of a let down!! It didn't cover nearly as well as I had hoped! And when I applied it and buffed off the excess like i usually do.. it came off anf took some of my concealer off as well...so i had to cever my blemishes all over again!! So I am still on the prowl for the perfect powder foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/26/2003 2:09:00 AM More reviews by sunkiss038

this stuff has great coverage, great color match etc...but i still look like i have powder on. dont get me wrong, i luv the stuff but it doesnt like natural but maybe its just cuz my face is ghastly white!!(i tan with a towel over my face to prevent acne hehe:-))

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2003 12:38:00 AM More reviews by USCgirlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This powder foundation looked ashy, fake, and was simply a disappointment for me. I couldn't make it look natural, no matter how lightly I applied it, and even with the application method of a powder brush. To make matters worse, it did nothing to control my oilies, but it DID accentuate any flakes I did have. So, my skin was an oily and a flaky mess! I've had no luck with MAC foundations though...the only one I kind of liked was their Select Tint (a tinted moisturizer), but the color still looked ashy on me...

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2003 12:07:00 AM More reviews by tjmcardle

I was one of those who swore by Studio Fix. It was my holy grail. I wore it for years with no problems. But the last year or so I noticed it made my pores look huge, settled into my fine lines, became spotty if I perspired even just a tiny bit, and started looking cakey after just an hour or so. I finally asked a MAC "artist" at my local Nordstrom about it and she didn't have an answer for me, other than my skin must have changed. After speaking with her, I went to the Smashbox counter and told her my dilemma. She told me MAC changed the formula to Studio Fix and they now put a lot more talc in it. She also said that most of the girls she knew at the MAC counter didn't even wear it anymore, but, of course, they weren't allowed to say anything. Well, I complained to MAC on their website (great site by the way) and they responded right away (very impressive). They denied changing the formula, which I'm not sure I believe, but apologized and said they would send me a refund check (even more impressive). I'm heartbroken that Studio Fix doesn't work for me anymore, but I must say their customer service is excellent!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2003 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Mkim

Although I prefer liquid foundation/powder combination, I like this product because of its simplicity and coverage. It does make my skin a bit oily though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2003 7:03:00 PM More reviews by BrookeTrox

This is my HG powder foundation. The C2 is a perfect match for my skin (except for during the summer). This evens out my skin tone without giving that heavy foundation look. I use this with a damp sponge or with a fluffy brush, depending on the finish I want. This has no scent and has not caused me to breakout.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2003 7:39:00 PM More reviews by Hollis

I have VERY pale skin (I wear Px Virtual Skin in Real Camellia 22), and the SA at MAC recommended NC20, which was waaaay to dark. I exchanged it for NC15 which the second SA assured me was light enough. After wearing it for about a week, it is definitely WAY too dark. I have oily/combo skin, and by the end of the day the Studio Fix was noticeably darker and even more orange than the beginning of the day (I will be returning it). It went on evenly, but the coverage was too heavy for my liking. I discovered that the coverage was much more even and light if i applied it with my Px powder blush.

I happened to be at Target a few days ago and took a gamble on the Sonia Kashuk Dual Coverage Powder Foundation in Ivory, and I loooove it! I have read a couple of makeup artists' reviews of this makeup and some of them complained that the Ivory is TOO pale/ashy, but it is absolutely the BEST match for me out of any lower end foundation (or higher end, for that matter) I have ever bought and matches my neck perfectly. It is heavy enough to cover up broken capillaries and my bluish under eye circles, but still looks like MY skin (but better, of course). The square sponge it comes with is useless (hey--it's only $9.99--what do you expect)?, and it goes on MUCH better with a sponge like the one that comes with Studio Fix. The *only* thing I would add to make it the perfect foundation for me is an SPF of 20 or higher, but right now this works great over my POLA 1/f suncut milk spf 30 sunscreen. I hope this helps someone.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2003 12:26:00 AM More reviews by Aiko_Aiko

This was once the only foundation I used! I'd always hated liquid foundations and the like, and dreamed of finding a powder that would give me decent coverage without looking chalky or caked on. Studiofix was it!My skin is definitely combination, but leans more towards the normal/dry side, and I find I get better results using this after I moisturize. As with any powder, this will emphasize flakes and dryness, so I can only see this working well for those with combo/oily skin. That said, it blots out shine, and evens out my skintone, without looking heavy or mask-like at all. I just look like I have 'good skin'! I only pick up a tiny amount on the sponge and pat/smooth it on gently - this provides just the right amount of coverage for me. My one complaint would be the packaging, it needs to be more klutz-proof! I always end up dropping the compact and the hinge breaks very easily, which means the cover won't stay on unless I'm careful about fitting it into place after every use. Very annoying. But don't let my idiocy scare you away!
******UPDATE******
I finally gave up on this after years of use. Partly because I didn't feel like going in for another color matching, partly because it seemed to be causing a lot of blackheads and clogged pores. I've moved on to mineral foundation now, and have no plans to return to using Studiofix in future. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2003 8:29:00 AM More reviews by 1MegMeg

Recently, I had my makeup done at the Nordies MAC counter and the MA used Studio Fix on my face. I had never used it before (have only used one other foundation in my life) so I was interested in trying it out. The MA used NC20, which is a perfect match for my skin (ETA: But for some reason, I am an NC15 in all other MAC foundation/concealer products...maybe SF just runs light?). I loved the look and feel so much that I decided to purchase it. At home, I am easily able to re-create the MA's look. I lightly apply this with a disposable non-latex makeup sponge or with my large powder brush. Either technique gives me a flawless finish. And I mean totally "magazine ad" flawless. Luckily, I have a good complexion, but even the best complexions still have some flaws, uneven skin tone, etc. Studio Fix takes care of all that. This sheer coverage foundation blends beautifully and is not dry/cakey on my normal skin, nor does it cause my face to get shiny later in the day. Since I apply this so lightly I anticipate it lasting a while, so for $23 it's not a bad price.